[Today at 02:22:57 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by barfolomew
[Today at 02:08:20 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 01:48:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jamil Wilson  (Read 8713 times)

dwaderoy2004

• All American
Re: Jamil Wilson
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2008, 08:41:15 AM »
Uh so far as I knwo that isn't true, DOn't they have a prefeerred walk-on comign on form the soccer team, What abotu Julius Peppers from UNC or Charlie Ward from FSU, how much sense does that comment make.

Uh.  you're wrong. 

the preferred walk-on couldn;t get a soccer schollie if he came so he went elsewhere.  and with julius peppers and charlie ward, his scholarship counted against the football team, as per ncaa rules.  the ncaa has a hierarchy of where the scholarship has to come from if an athlete plays multiple sports.  football is #1, basketball is #2.  there is nothing preventing wilson from coming to MU without getting a scholarship, he'd just have to pay his own way. 

bma725

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2008, 08:44:47 AM »
Uh so far as I knwo that isn't true, DOn't they have a prefeerred walk-on comign on form the soccer team, What abotu Julius Peppers from UNC or Charlie Ward from FSU, how much sense does that comment make.

Tony Walls isn't coming specifically because of that situation.  He would have taken a soccer scholarship, but would have counted against the basketball scholarships as well.  When he found that out, MU decided not to offer the preferred walk on spot, so he went to UWGB where he is playing both sports.

The scholarship rule was started because of football, so that coaches couldn't stash football players on track teams or crew or something else.  It now carries over to basketball as well.

HoopDreams

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2008, 11:20:39 AM »
Per Scout...Jamil Wilson has opted to not sign in early period...
Tradition Never Graduates..

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2008, 11:43:33 AM »
You do realize that much of your first paragraph actually describes Dwyane Wade.  It is simply following rankings and elite program interest that caused most to not predict the first coming of D-Wade.

on noticble difference would be that wilson was ranked much higher earlier on and dropped, this was not the case with wade.

Murphysguy

• Walk-On
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2008, 12:07:10 PM »
BMA, are you sure about that, I heard from a pretty good source that Tony Walls got caught for drinking numerous times and thus Marquette basically said thanks, but no thanks. You could be correct though I really don't know.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2008, 12:39:04 PM »
BMA, are you sure about that, I heard from a pretty good source that Tony Walls got caught for drinking numerous times and thus Marquette basically said thanks, but no thanks. You could be correct though I really don't know.

He is correct. Walls is going to UWGB because of the scholarship situation.  This was discussed on here a few months ago when the decision first occurred.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2008, 12:53:49 PM »
on noticble difference would be that wilson was ranked much higher earlier on and dropped, this was not the case with wade.

You're correct. Dwyane flew very much under the radar, in part because he was a bit of a late bloomer, in part because there were questions about his gradea, but also because he was in one of the most heralded high school classes to ever come out of Illinois. That class also included Darius Miles , Andre Brown, Imari Sawyer, Matt Lottich, Cedrick Banks, Brett Melton, TJ Cummings and ODB.
Heck, players 5 thru 10 of that group were good enough to be considered top 5 most year.

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2008, 12:57:18 PM »

Drinking!!!!!!,  The Horror!!!!  The horror!!!  Marquette turning somebody away because of drinking, sounds like a madam turning a girl away because of loose morals.   Boy times have changed.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2008, 01:05:09 PM »
Downtown- That probably wasn't MU making the call, but more Louis Bennett. There was a controversy when he took over because he runs a very, very tight ship, and several players quit because of it. Not sure if it is true or not, but I could see Bennett not being pleased.

And the walk-on thing has changed from the Marcus West days, bma is 100% correct.

OneMadWarrior

• Team Captain
  • Wish I was at the Maui Invitational
    • The Truth
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2008, 03:04:54 PM »
He is correct. Walls is going to UWGB because of the scholarship situation.  This was discussed on here a few months ago when the decision first occurred.

Thanks for the clarification, no need to be rude from the earlier person.
“When I was losing, they called me nuts. When I was winning they called me eccentric.”

~Al McGuire

Correct morals arise from knowing what man is—not what do-gooders and well-meaning old Aunt Nellies would like him to be.
~Robert Heinlein

feedback