* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by Its DJOver
[Today at 08:47:05 AM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[April 29, 2024, 10:20:04 PM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by tower912
[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jamil Wilson  (Read 8712 times)

strobl2

• Starter
Jamil Wilson
« on: November 17, 2008, 06:48:16 PM »
I don't have scout.com, but the little paragraph that I can read says that Wilson might pick a school in the next 24 hours. This article was made yesterday, and I don't know if its true.

THEGYMBAR

Re: Jamil Wilson
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 06:56:26 PM »
He will be the cornerstone of the class.

DoubleMU0609

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 08:13:51 PM »
THEGYMBAR, are you saying he will be the cornerstone of the class, like he's coming to MU and will be the most important player OR that if he were to come to MU he would be the most important player?

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 08:36:36 PM »
gymbar has been saying wilson will be a warrior for months, he's saying that wilson will be a warrior and he will be the cornerstone of that class.

Gwaki

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 11:15:42 PM »
I thought we weren't gonna hear about Wilson until spring

Ahoya06

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 08:50:33 AM »
Even if we do land Wilson, I'd call him our 3rd best recruit of the class. Don't get me wrong, he'd be a great addition, but I still put him behind Cadougan and Maymon, and perhaps even a T-3 with Erik Williams.

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 08:53:42 AM »
Ahoya-- If he is third best recruit...book your Final Four tickets.

Ahoya06

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 08:58:56 AM »
Ahoya-- If he is third best recruit...book your Final Four tickets.

It's a testament to how good a job Buzz has done with this class. I'd rather go forward with Jamil, of course, but with or without him, it's gonna be solid.

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 09:01:11 AM »
Has there actually been anything formal announced in terms of a press conference, etc?  Or is the rumor still that he is going to wait on the formal announcement until the spring, yet privately tell the team he chooses that he is in?

Ahoya06

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 09:09:05 AM »
Has there actually been anything formal announced in terms of a press conference, etc?  Or is the rumor still that he is going to wait on the formal announcement until the spring, yet privately tell the team he chooses that he is in?

The rumor last I heard is still that he is committing early, and announcing in the Spring, but I really can't see whatever school he ends up with going along with that. Seems like a far-fetched notion to me, but who knows? Hopefully, we'll all find out sooner rather than later.

kmwtrucks

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 09:35:20 AM »
I think my understanding is he would Sign the LOI in the next day or 2, but he or the school would not have a formal announcment until March. 

Kramerica

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 10:04:41 AM »
I don't understand how someone who is barely ranked in the top 100 recruits according to some services and represents the 3rd player at a postition in a recruiting class is going to be the cornerstone of the class.  Now I haven't seen him play, but everything I've read about him says that he was hyped early and has been fading over the past year. 
I'm not saying that he won't be a good signing, but I don't understand why some people are thinking he is going to be the second coming of D-Wade. 

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2008, 10:16:15 AM »
Kramerica---Once you see him play you will understand the hype. Ratings are great, but reality is when they hit the hardwood. The kid is very, very athletic and a bball player to boot. If he can focus and work hard he is a upper tier college player.

I think you would be hard pressed to find a better talent to come out of the area in a long time. I love Maymon and love Wilson. They can be a great one-two punch.

strobl2

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2008, 05:19:39 PM »
I have no evidence here, but I have this gut feeling that he is gonna come to MU.

nola03

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2008, 09:13:35 PM »
I don't understand how someone who is barely ranked in the top 100 recruits according to some services and represents the 3rd player at a postition in a recruiting class is going to be the cornerstone of the class.

Could you provide those rankings where Wilson is ranked #90-100 (which I would consider "barely" in the rankings)? I haven't seen that.

Thanks.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2008, 09:24:54 PM »
I don't understand how someone who is barely ranked in the top 100 recruits according to some services and represents the 3rd player at a postition in a recruiting class is going to be the cornerstone of the class.  Now I haven't seen him play, but everything I've read about him says that he was hyped early and has been fading over the past year. 
I'm not saying that he won't be a good signing, but I don't understand why some people are thinking he is going to be the second coming of D-Wade. 

You do realize that much of your first paragraph actually describes Dwyane Wade.  It is simply following rankings and elite program interest that caused most to not predict the first coming of D-Wade.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2008, 09:40:52 PM »
Could you provide those rankings where Wilson is ranked #90-100 (which I would consider "barely" in the rankings)? I haven't seen that.

Thanks.

Go to places like Rivals and Hoopscoop.   Their "experts" have him in that range. 

MUBasketball

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2008, 10:19:20 PM »
Jamil Wilson is a great talent. Has tremendous upside as well. He's also very interested in volleyball, and excels in both sports. A lot of kids involved with basketball recruiting at this level are 100% hoops. Jamil has other interests in high school, and I think that's great. Once he gets to college and focuses entirely on hoops, the sky is the limit.

What's funny is, he's slipped in the rankings a bit, and yet he's still consensus Top 100.

When did we get so picky to not get excited about possibly getting a kid in the Top 100, regardless of whether or not he's slipped in the rankings? Michigan State, Oregon, and Texas don't seem to care about his "slip".

I hope like hell the staff can snag him (while also hoping nobody is forced out if that's the case).

nola03

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2008, 10:19:47 PM »
I checked out Rivals and they do have Wilson barely in their rankings at #93 though the date listed is three months ago in August. Are they outdated?

Either way, I imagine consensus of the rankings would have Wilson somewhere around #60. That'd be a hell of a throw in to the recruiting class.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2008, 12:04:07 AM »
I'll take another 4 star any day of the week.  If that happen, talk about a class.  Four 4 stars, 3 star, and a 6 10 sleeper. 

GO MU
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

JSwarriors08

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2008, 12:12:01 AM »
Landing Jamil would put this class in the stratosphere as far as I am concerned.  I'm trying really hard not to start letting my expectations fly away on me, but I can't wait to see next year's class already.  Adding Wilson to the mix makes this a lot harder.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2008, 08:02:32 AM »
There is no reason for Jamil to commit now. Michigan St. is not recruiting anyone else and MU does not have an available scholarship.
Maybe MU has a volleyball scholarship. He could play volleyball his freshmen year and practice with the basketball team. Then he could switch to a basketabll scholarship and play four years of basketball.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2008, 08:11:24 AM »
There is no reason for Jamil to commit now. Michigan St. is not recruiting anyone else and MU does not have an available scholarship.
Maybe MU has a volleyball scholarship. He could play volleyball his freshmen year and practice with the basketball team. Then he could switch to a basketabll scholarship and play four years of basketball.

MU doesn't have Men's Volleyball, only women's.

And even then, the rules specifically forbid things like that.  If he has a scholarship for another sport and plays on the basketball team, it counts as a basketball scholarship. 

OneMadWarrior

• Team Captain
  • Wish I was at the Maui Invitational
    • The Truth
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2008, 08:26:14 AM »
Uh so far as I knwo that isn't true, DOn't they have a prefeerred walk-on comign on form the soccer team, What abotu Julius Peppers from UNC or Charlie Ward from FSU, how much sense does that comment make.
“When I was losing, they called me nuts. When I was winning they called me eccentric.”

~Al McGuire

Correct morals arise from knowing what man is—not what do-gooders and well-meaning old Aunt Nellies would like him to be.
~Robert Heinlein

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2008, 08:28:46 AM »
That is the rule but it wouldn't apply with volleyball. Its club, but Marquette does have volleyball, he would just have to pay 25,000 out of his pocket!.... Tommy Brice is now on the team too, so there would be a connection.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2008, 08:41:15 AM »
Uh so far as I knwo that isn't true, DOn't they have a prefeerred walk-on comign on form the soccer team, What abotu Julius Peppers from UNC or Charlie Ward from FSU, how much sense does that comment make.

Uh.  you're wrong. 

the preferred walk-on couldn;t get a soccer schollie if he came so he went elsewhere.  and with julius peppers and charlie ward, his scholarship counted against the football team, as per ncaa rules.  the ncaa has a hierarchy of where the scholarship has to come from if an athlete plays multiple sports.  football is #1, basketball is #2.  there is nothing preventing wilson from coming to MU without getting a scholarship, he'd just have to pay his own way. 

bma725

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2008, 08:44:47 AM »

Tony Walls isn't coming specifically because of that situation.  He would have taken a soccer scholarship, but would have counted against the basketball scholarships as well.  When he found that out, MU decided not to offer the preferred walk on spot, so he went to UWGB where he is playing both sports.

The scholarship rule was started because of football, so that coaches couldn't stash football players on track teams or crew or something else.  It now carries over to basketball as well.

HoopDreams

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2008, 11:20:39 AM »
Per Scout...Jamil Wilson has opted to not sign in early period...
Tradition Never Graduates..

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2008, 11:43:33 AM »
You do realize that much of your first paragraph actually describes Dwyane Wade.  It is simply following rankings and elite program interest that caused most to not predict the first coming of D-Wade.

on noticble difference would be that wilson was ranked much higher earlier on and dropped, this was not the case with wade.

Murphysguy

• Walk-On
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2008, 12:07:10 PM »
BMA, are you sure about that, I heard from a pretty good source that Tony Walls got caught for drinking numerous times and thus Marquette basically said thanks, but no thanks. You could be correct though I really don't know.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2008, 12:39:04 PM »
BMA, are you sure about that, I heard from a pretty good source that Tony Walls got caught for drinking numerous times and thus Marquette basically said thanks, but no thanks. You could be correct though I really don't know.

He is correct. Walls is going to UWGB because of the scholarship situation.  This was discussed on here a few months ago when the decision first occurred.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2008, 12:53:49 PM »
on noticble difference would be that wilson was ranked much higher earlier on and dropped, this was not the case with wade.

You're correct. Dwyane flew very much under the radar, in part because he was a bit of a late bloomer, in part because there were questions about his gradea, but also because he was in one of the most heralded high school classes to ever come out of Illinois. That class also included Darius Miles , Andre Brown, Imari Sawyer, Matt Lottich, Cedrick Banks, Brett Melton, TJ Cummings and ODB.
Heck, players 5 thru 10 of that group were good enough to be considered top 5 most year.

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2008, 12:57:18 PM »

Drinking!!!!!!,  The Horror!!!!  The horror!!!  Marquette turning somebody away because of drinking, sounds like a madam turning a girl away because of loose morals.   Boy times have changed.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2008, 01:05:09 PM »
Downtown- That probably wasn't MU making the call, but more Louis Bennett. There was a controversy when he took over because he runs a very, very tight ship, and several players quit because of it. Not sure if it is true or not, but I could see Bennett not being pleased.

And the walk-on thing has changed from the Marcus West days, bma is 100% correct.

OneMadWarrior

• Team Captain
  • Wish I was at the Maui Invitational
    • The Truth
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2008, 03:04:54 PM »
He is correct. Walls is going to UWGB because of the scholarship situation.  This was discussed on here a few months ago when the decision first occurred.

Thanks for the clarification, no need to be rude from the earlier person.
“When I was losing, they called me nuts. When I was winning they called me eccentric.”

~Al McGuire

Correct morals arise from knowing what man is—not what do-gooders and well-meaning old Aunt Nellies would like him to be.
~Robert Heinlein