[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by GoldenEagles03
[April 29, 2024, 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[April 29, 2024, 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 29, 2024, 11:00:09 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Who's in the better spot, Buzz or that other guy  (Read 2605 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Who's in the better spot, Buzz or that other guy
« on: November 17, 2008, 05:54:25 PM »
http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=877009

Bob McClellan & Andrew Skwara
Rivals.com College Basketball Staff

Tom Crean and Buzz Williams were part of the same coaching staff at this time last season. They pored over game plans together, traveled with one another on recruiting trips and ultimately led Marquette to its third consecutive NCAA tournament appearance.   

But the two former colleagues couldn't be facing more different scenarios heading into the 2008-09 season.   

Crean left a cushy situation at Marquette – the Golden Eagles return four starters – to take over an Indiana program reeling from a recruiting scandal that forced previous coach Kelvin Sampson to resign in midseason.   

The Hoosiers are not only on probation but also are virtually starting over from scratch. Senior forward Kyle Taber, who averaged 1.3 points per game last season, is the only returning scholarship player. Crean and his staff scrambled to put together a seven-man recruiting class that includes five true freshmen, but they aren't the caliber of prospects that one of the most prestigious programs in college basketball is used to attracting. None was ranked among the top 100.   

Williams, the surprising choice to replace Crean at Marquette, inherits a veteran-laden team with three senior guards – Dominic James, Jerel McNeal and Wesley Matthews – who are entering their fourth season as starters.   

It all begs the question: Whose shoes would you rather be in, Crean's or Williams'?

SKWARA'S PICK: Buzz Williams

Williams is in a bit of a no-win situation. If the Golden Eagles get to the NCAA tournament, he still won't get much of the credit. Crean put this team together and he's the guy who taught these players what it takes to reach the field of 65 – or at least it will be viewed that way.   

If the Golden Eagles fall short of an NCAA bid, Williams will be viewed as the No. 1 reason as to what went wrong.   

Still, I'd rather be sitting behind Williams' desk right now than Crean's. That's largely because a below-average coach could steer the Eagles into the NCAA tournament. There isn't a coach in the Big East who wouldn't trade three of his guards for James, McNeal and Matthews. Junior small forward Lazar Hayward, who averaged 12.8 points and 6.5 rebounds last season, gives opponents another scorer to worry about. The Eagles have a good chance to have a special season, and Williams doesn't have to make any big adjustments or risky moves to make it happen. A run all the way to the Final Four is even possible. You can't turn down a chance to be a part of that.   

It's true Crean doesn't face much pressure, and I'm sure that must feel nice after years of grinding out tough wins at Marquette. But any coach who takes his work seriously will tell you he would trade a job with almost no pressure and expectations for one with plenty of both.

MCCLELLAN'S PICK: Tom Crean

It's not going to be a pretty season in Bloomington, and I'm not talking about winter.   

The Hoosiers are going to lose. A lot. But fortunately for Crean, that's the expectation. It isn't going to surprise anyone if Indiana goes 8-22.   

In a way that's kind of the beauty of the situation if you're a coach. Sure, you'd rather have enough talent to compete for an NCAA tournament bid, but the Hoosiers don't. The pressure is on everyone who plays them for a change. There is ZERO pressure on IU. Every Big Ten win will be considered nearly heroic in Bloomington. Win 10 or more and the school will put a banner in Assembly Hall.   

Hoosiers fans aren't used to rooting for the underdog (unless you count the handful that cross over and root for IU football as well), so they will embrace this bunch with a Cream and Crimson passion. This is one time a fan base can make a huge difference, and there will be times they will cheer Crean's young charges to victory.   

Do you really think Penn State and Northwestern can hold up with experts saying they're supposed to beat Indiana? Only if you expect paper airplanes to make it through hailstorms.   

I think Crean is going to love this season. He's going to talk up his opponents like Lou Holtz on steroids (I know, scary thought!). He'll have IU fans believing his players are nothing short of courageous for even stepping on the court against the likes of Purdue, Michigan State and Wisconsin.   

Meanwhile, Buzz Williams has all of the pressure at Marquette. The Golden Eagles were a hair's breadth from the Sweet 16 last year, and all of the key players are back. If they don't go at least as far the finger will be pointed at one guy, and we all know who that is.

THEGYMBAR

Re: Who's in the better spot, Buzz or that other guy
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 06:53:04 PM »
No doubt. TC is the guy you want to be. He has a contract to protect he and his family even if he fails. He 2-3 years of time to turn things around. He has a resume that would get him a gig if this failed. Buzz is not in a great spot. I mean this with respect, but I think he might just be stupid enough to pull it off. But, if he doesn't he will be a third assistant and crappy Texas school making $80K a year.

TC put himself in a no-lose situation. If he sucks he has money for life and built in excuse. Buzz is in a pressure cooker.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 07:11:41 PM »
TC, no brainer.  At least long term.

Here's why. Fair or not fair, TC will get the credit for "rebuilding" MU the last decade.  As such, he has that equity he takes with him to IU.  IU is also in such shambles, the leash is going to be incredibly long.  As much as anything for IU, the people want him to run a clean program and graduate players, something that hasn't happened the last 2 years.

Finally, Buzz has little track record.

Buzz is in a bit of a no-win situation.  Having said that, if he continues to recruit well and the players play for him (all appearances are that they love the guy), then Buzz will do great.  He just has far less equity or benefit of the doubt then the predecessor.  That's the way it is for most coaches that have to replace someone that was successful.  Does he become a Mark Few that equals or surpasses his predecessor?  Or does he become the K-State football coach or Craig Esherick? 

Crystal ball anyone?

MUBasketball

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 07:29:06 PM »
Does he become a Mark Few that equals or surpasses his predecessor?  Or does he become the K-State football coach or Craig Esherick

Crystal ball anyone?

Good Lord, let's hope not!!  :-[ Drove Georgetown right into the ground.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 08:36:53 PM »
Buzz will be at MU longer than Cream will be at IU.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 08:44:47 PM »
Win 10 or more and the school will put a banner in Assembly Hall.   

knowing crean and his love of banners, might just be true...

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 09:09:57 PM »
knowing crean and his love of banners, might just be true...

They prolly already have one up celebrating IU's win over 250th ranked Northwestern State or whoever it was they beat the other night.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 01:07:05 AM »
You really want to be this guy?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 11:32:01 AM »
You really want to be this guy?

That's pretty good.   ;D

Though as my UCLA & USC compatriots say out here after seeing Buzz, "who did MU hire as their new coach, Gomer Pyle?  Well Golly"

Dry White Toast

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 11:04:52 PM »
Any true competitor would rather be BUZZ.  People get in this business because they like to teach/coach, they love basketball, and they have a passion for winning.  It isn't just about big paychecks.  (and by the way...Buzz will get his big paychecks WHEN he delivers results at MU...just like TC)

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 11:36:28 PM »
That's pretty good.   ;D

Though as my UCLA & USC compatriots say out here after seeing Buzz, "who did MU hire as their new coach, Gomer Pyle?  Well Golly"

I get the hilarity of comparing buzz to a country bumpkin but that's weak sauce when trying to find someone who actually looks like Buzz. 

Closest I could come up with is Ed Harris from his days in Just Cause

How did my parents look, hmm? How did they smell?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2008, 12:40:32 AM »
Ed Harris should sue you.   ;)

I think the picture that my buddies give me the most grief over is when Buzz is in his baseball cap at the press conference.  That's when the Gomer Pyle heckling started.

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2008, 02:55:26 AM »

Billy Redden is a closer likeness than Ed Harris.  I couldn't find Billy's picture on the internet but he is the banjo player in this famous scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPcXX2dKJCI

feedback