[Today at 06:19:00 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by SaveOD238
[Today at 06:16:31 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Its DJOver
[June 05, 2024, 02:41:31 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by MU82
[June 05, 2024, 08:19:01 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Building a new computer...  (Read 2433 times)

gjreda

• Team Captain
  • I miss Real Chili.
Building a new computer...
« on: November 14, 2008, 08:15:00 PM »
Seeing that I can't take my 4.5 year old Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop and it's 512mb of memory anymore, I've decided that I'd like to build a desktop as it'll allow me to get rid of this junker and give me a mini project in my spare time.  Now, despite graduating with an IT degree, hardware has never been my specialty.  I know plenty about it, but by no means do I keep up on the trends and what types of users need what specs of hardware; I've always had more of a focus on databases / data analysis.  I know a lot of you Scoopers know your computer hardware and have probably built computers plenty of times, so I'm coming to you for advice on what I need.  I just graduated last May, so I'm still a fairly cheap college student at heart despite a solid full-time job.

A few bits of information:
  • I'm not a gamer (other than I plan on playing some Xbox 360 on the monitor - much better than my old 27'' CRT TV)
  • I plan on using it as a TV with a Hauppage card.  I'd like to use it as a DVR if possible (only on my computer - I don't have a TV to hook it up to - yet), and will probably have the TV portion going while I'm doing other things (if possible).  I don't currently have HD programming, but I'd like to plan for it.
  • I'm usually doing a decent amount of different tasks on the computer - browsing (with a ton of tabs), AIM, iTunes, and usually a few other programs (a little photoshop)
  • I planned on going AMD dual core with 2gb RAM - anyone think otherwise?
  • I'm pretty clueless in terms of motherboards, video cards, power supplies, etc.
  • I'd like a nice monitor since I plan on using it as a TV as well.  I was thinking of going with a 24'' LCD.  Anyone have any recommendations?

Thank you all very, very much in advance for your help.  I really appreciate it.  And if any of you ever need some data work or SQL done for you, I'm your guy.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 08:22:05 PM by eaglewarrior08 »

Gwaki

• All American
Re: Building a new computer...
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 10:25:52 AM »
I would say get an intel core 2 duo or quad core with the new 45nm processing.  They jsut came out with their new i7 line of processors which are really nice.  With a power supply i recommend a modular one so that you dont need as many cables.  Video cards you can get a ati hd3850 or hd3870 for pretty cheap and they run very nice. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 11:24:18 AM »
I realize that Milwaukee PC is expensive, but they do know their stuff (at least in my experience)

I have built 3 computers myself... but I consider myself a gamer and really only go for the high end stuff.

I'd say the most important thing you are going to want in a mobo is stability... and the best way to find a stable one is to search product reviews for mobos.  other than that, what you want is the ability to be able to expand or have enough slots to get a nice sound card in your board (besides the video card that you want).  There is no sense getting an awesome video card to have your TV look awesome only to have your 'experience' ruined by terrible on board sound.

as for what is cheap?... No clue... I always check out Newegg.com since they usually have the best deals on the net and a lot of times have free shipping on select items.

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 11:35:57 AM »
Sounds like you want to build a HTPC (Home Theater PC).

What's your budget?

Edit:
I'd suggest something like this HTPC.

Create a RAID 5 with the hard drives which will help a little with playing DVR'ed video (RAID 5 info).  Buy whatever TV you want, as long as it has an HDMI input you'll be all set!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 12:08:50 PM by lurch91 »

feedback