[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by GoldenEagles03
[April 29, 2024, 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[April 29, 2024, 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 29, 2024, 11:00:09 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Mr. Hazel...Your table is ready  (Read 3982 times)

Wade for President

• All American
Mr. Hazel...Your table is ready
« on: November 14, 2008, 01:54:57 PM »
With the almost comical list of injuries, transfers, and shortsighted recruiting plaguing our low post, it is time for Mr. Hazel to step up.  With the availability of minutes designated for our bigs ever increasing, there is no better opportunity for Mr. Hazel to step up.

His offensive struggles are of no concern to this team.  It is this moment where we need him to focus all of his efforts on the defensive end of the ball and hitting the glass.

With next year's recruiting class designed to shore up our inefficiencies down low, there's no better time than the present, for Patrick to make a name for himself.

Patrick has plenty of games and time to develop, however I truly believe the next month and a half will go a long way in determining what his contributions will be and what we can expect from him throughout his Marquette career.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 01:57:26 PM by Wade for President »

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: Mr. Hazel...Your table is ready
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 02:04:17 PM »
Absolutely... even before the Fulce and Otule injuries, Hazel has had the opportunity to move this team into elite status this season.  If he can run the floor decently, get rebounds and play solid post d, it would be a huge boost to the team.  I recall during his short courting by Crean-Pie, Hazel was described as a guy who was into doing the dirty work... now we need it, badly.

He also has been described as having a high ceiling.. Hazel needs to realize some of the potential this year and, if he does, could be a reason why this becomes a team that can get to the Final Four, instead of what I think they are now - a team that can reach the Sweet Sixteen.

That being said, I fully expect that he'll suffer a high ankle sprain or something worse within the first 10 minutes of tonight's game. 
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 02:06:32 PM »
Absolutely... even before the Fulce and Otule injuries, Hazel has had the opportunity to move this team into elite status this season.  If he can run the floor decently, get rebounds and play solid post d, it would be a huge boost to the team.  I recall during his short courting by Crean-Pie, Hazel was described as a guy who was into doing the dirty work... now we need it, badly.

He also has been described as having a high ceiling.. Hazel needs to realize some of the potential this year and, if he does, could be a reason why this becomes a team that can get to the Final Four, instead of what I think they are now - a team that can reach the Sweet Sixteen.

That being said, I fully expect that he'll suffer a high ankle sprain or something worse within the first 10 minutes of tonight's game. 

Elite Status? Even without the injuries, elite status is quite a stretch.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 02:15:31 PM »

Gotta love the glass half full outlook.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 02:15:51 PM »
Elite Status? Even without the injuries, elite status is quite a stretch.

"Elite status" in this context doesn't have a global definition, so we may be talking about two different things here.  Or, maybe you truly do not believe this year's team, with a Patrick Hazel stepping up big time, can become a team that people will consider a possible final four team when March rolls around.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 02:17:44 PM by Jay Bee »
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 02:21:45 PM »
 "Elite status" in this context doesn't have a global definition, so we may be talking about two different things here.  Or, maybe you truly do not believe this year's team, with a Patrick Hazel stepping up big time, can become a team that people will consider a possible final four team when March rolls around.

Even if Pat Hazel can become the second coming of Jason Maxiell and Eric Hicks rolled into one, that still won't be enough to overcome this team's short comings and turn them into a possible final four team.

OneMadWarrior

• Team Captain
  • Wish I was at the Maui Invitational
    • The Truth
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 02:25:49 PM »
Honestly, Hazel may be serviceable, but its not like we are talking about the second coming of Scott Merritt here. At best he may be a poor man's Marcus "Scary" Jackson.
“When I was losing, they called me nuts. When I was winning they called me eccentric.”

~Al McGuire

Correct morals arise from knowing what man is—not what do-gooders and well-meaning old Aunt Nellies would like him to be.
~Robert Heinlein

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 02:27:58 PM »
Only one way MU can reach elite status... Michael Snaer.  We get that guy and we will have 6 players in the ESPN 100 (I watched ESPNU last night and we have 5 so far.  I guess Roseboro got in the top 100 somehow.) and probably close to the number one recruiting class in the country.  That is how MU will reach elite status.  Without Snaer, MU will have a bright future but a shaky mistake filled 2009 season.  
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

OneMadWarrior

• Team Captain
    • The Truth
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 02:30:27 PM »
In terms of elitie status the team is on a better track becasue its mor balanced with basically a starting 5 comign in on one Class
PG Junior Cadougan
SG Dwight Buyucks
SF Erik WIlliams
PF Jeronne Maymon
C Brett Roseboro

Balance is what separates great teams from e lite teams, and thsoe elite teams generally nee top 10 recruits at every position to get there.
“When I was losing, they called me nuts. When I was winning they called me eccentric.”

~Al McGuire

Correct morals arise from knowing what man is—not what do-gooders and well-meaning old Aunt Nellies would like him to be.
~Robert Heinlein

bma725

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 02:32:14 PM »
Only one way MU can reach elite status... Michael Snaer.  We get that guy and we will have 6 players in the ESPN 100 (I watched ESPNU last night and we have 5 so far.  I guess Roseboro got in the top 100 somehow.) and probably close to the number one recruiting class in the country.  That is how MU will reach elite status.  Without Snaer, MU will have a bright future but a shaky mistake filled 2009 season.  

MU has three players in the top 100, not five.  ESPN barely ranks Roseboro in the top 300, and Buycks isn't eligible as he is a JUCO.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 02:40:27 PM »
MU has three players in the top 100, not five.  ESPN barely ranks Roseboro in the top 300, and Buycks isn't eligible as he is a JUCO.

I know.... I am just saying.  I was watching ESPNU Recruiting Show last night and Marquette was ranked 10th with 5 of 5 in the ESPN 100.  I know you are right but that's what they were putting up.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

OneMadWarrior

• Team Captain
    • The Truth
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2008, 02:45:04 PM »
Buyucks is considered a Juco All American and probably in the top 10 of JUCO's ESPN also has Rosebor at a 86 and rising fast due to his size and post up ability and the fact that he may be a legitimate 6'10 maybe he has Top 100 potential. the remaining 3 are top 100's that probably calrifies it for all involved.

~Al McGuire

~Robert Heinlein

bma725

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2008, 02:53:47 PM »
I know.... I am just saying.  I was watching ESPNU Recruiting Show last night and Marquette was ranked 10th with 5 of 5 in the ESPN 100.  I know you are right but that's what they were putting up.

The ranking is 10th, but ESPNU must have had the stats wrong on TV.  Because their own web version of the ranking states, "10. Marquette, five commits, three ESPNU 100 commits (Junior Cadougan, Jeronne Maymon and Erik Williams)"

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?page=2009ncbclassranks