Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Lute Olson Out  (Read 5470 times)

robmufan

• All American

AlumKCof93

• All American
Re: Lute Olson Out
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 12:17:00 PM »
Andy Katz is reporting that Crean has contacted Arizona about the position.
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 12:30:07 PM »
Again?   Which personal problem and how long will it last?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 12:31:24 PM »
Its Arizona!!  Its Arizona!!   ;)
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

Ahoya06

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 01:55:26 PM »
Mike Deane maybe? He's followed Kevin O'Neill before, and this is what the next coach is essentially doing...

It's too bad KO was shown the door last year, he could have stepped in permenently otherwise...

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 02:24:26 PM »
KO showed himself the door by opening his mouth. He had a chance and blew it. While I am a big KO fan, he is his own worst enemy. That job should and would have been his. Sad day for Lute and his family.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 02:37:13 PM »
Too bad Crean pissed himself by jumping for IU. He may have gotten this elite gig minus the NCAA sanctions.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

🏀

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 02:39:16 PM »
Too bad Crean pissed himself by jumping for IU. He may have gotten this elite gig minus the NCAA sanctions.

How did you miss the chance to link Crean, tanning & the Arizona sun on that one?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 02:52:51 PM »
Can't argue there. But, T-Cubed would still probably prefer his tanning bed.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 04:49:59 PM »
That's unfortunate news.  There were always conflicting reports on Lute; however, we used to catch a practice or two a year and bumped into him plenty at his restaurant.  He was always a class act from what I observed...one of the few coaches who I've never heard swear...much more than I can say for myself.

jce

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 09:43:21 PM »
I read that he is now engaged to a 47 year old mother of two.  God bless him, but after his first wife died after nearly 50 years of marriage, he got married to another woman, and then divorced.  You'd think another marriage is the last thing he needs.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2008, 10:06:36 PM »
One of the best coaches in the game today.  The man will be missed, and Arizona basketball won't be the same.  Although the program was falling a bit into mediocrity the past few years, still brought in some of the best talent and was always a dangerous team come tournament time.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2008, 10:56:27 PM »
KO showed himself the door by opening his mouth. He had a chance and blew it. While I am a big KO fan, he is his own worst enemy. That job should and would have been his. Sad day for Lute and his family.

Oh hell yes to everything ^^^.
SS Marquette

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2008, 07:38:24 AM »
+1 - the "big fan".  I wasn't around much KO, and I know he brought in some talent, but did he have any class at all???  Couldn't have been worse than Mike Dean...we had to move our seats as our young kids and their friends were to close to his colorful language, and as I stated above I'm no Saint  ;D

jce

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2008, 07:44:42 AM »
One of the best coaches in the game today.  The man will be missed, and Arizona basketball won't be the same.  Although the program was falling a bit into mediocrity the past few years, still brought in some of the best talent and was always a dangerous team come tournament time.

Yep.  Arizona is going to have some trouble because they have to import talent...and they imported a lot of talent from the LA area.  One of the reasons they have slipped IMO is that Ben Howland is wrapping those people up and they aren't leaving.  Tim Floyd is a good recruiter as well.

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2008, 09:35:17 AM »
What does a coach change mean in college basketball etiquette in 2008?  Does every school move in on Arizona's recruits?  Are the recruits left alone until they pull a TT and asked to be relased?  Does anyone know? 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2008, 09:47:06 AM »
Etiquette? Get real here. We're talkin' jobs. It's every dog for himself.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2008, 12:32:33 PM »
I somehow doubt Arizona, with all its tradition, is going to take a guy who is currently doibng very little at Wagner. As for his language, avid is absoluitely correct. I was a few rows behind Deane for one game and he was an embarrassment to MU. The cursing and abuse of his players was awful. 

Ahoya06

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2008, 02:20:26 PM »
I somehow doubt Arizona, with all its tradition, is going to take a guy who is currently doibng very little at Wagner. As for his language, avid is absoluitely correct. I was a few rows behind Deane for one game and he was an embarrassment to MU. The cursing and abuse of his players was awful. 

If you're referring to my above post, I "tealed" it to note the sarcasm. That'd be about as big a step down as one could take. But yeah, Deane's language was awful, and he also treated his players like crap.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2008, 02:40:37 PM »
KO to Ron Curry, from all the way across the court:

"Ron, you f**in kitten, take the ball to the hole"

Lucky my daughter was not at THAT game.  I was a KO fan (win, baby win) but class was not his act.

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2008, 02:44:54 PM »
KO had a ton of warts but they actually made him more appealing to me. Nothing better than seeing him with a cold beer in hand not caring who was around. No sacred cows in KO's world.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2008, 02:52:36 PM »
I once heard KO rip Roney Eford with an F bomb filled tirade after taking him out of a agme that was absolteuly one for the ages.  I never til that point realized that that many F bombs could be so elequently fit into one tirade.  I think there were about a dozen hairy wet cats in the tirade too.

Then a bout 3-4 minutes later he walked down the bench and started it again only to finish with..." are you now f'ing ready to f'ing play?".

Like KO or not at least he was real, and I will always give him more credit as I think he had a harder job than Crean.  He made Crean's job easier, Mu may have been a Loyola of Chicago if it were not for KO.

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2008, 02:56:50 PM »
Right on Mr. Hayward----KO saved the day. Good thing he did not know what he was he getting into when he took the job. He busted his butt and saved the program from being Loyola. TC did great job, but if KO never had arrived there would have been no need for TC.

MU was about as low as D1 program could go when KO arrived. The win over KY was one for the ages in my opinion. Only if we could replay the 2nd half of the Duke game.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2008, 03:04:44 PM »
I once heard KO rip Roney Eford with an F bomb filled tirade after taking him out of a agme that was absolteuly one for the ages.  I never til that point realized that that many F bombs could be so elequently fit into one tirade.  I think there were about a dozen hairy wet cats in the tirade too.

Then a bout 3-4 minutes later he walked down the bench and started it again only to finish with..." are you now f'ing ready to f'ing play?".

Like KO or not at least he was real, and I will always give him more credit as I think he had a harder job than Crean.  He made Crean's job easier, Mu may have been a Loyola of Chicago if it were not for KO.

Amen Brother

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2008, 03:10:11 PM »
I agree - O'Neill did a great job resurrecting MU. But I'm also glad he left as he lacks the attributes the head coach should have as the most visible position at MU.
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

feedback