Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Who's going?

Akanno
178 (33.6%)
Carton
32 (6%)
Elliott
61 (11.5%)
Garcia
81 (15.3%)
Ighodaro
8 (1.5%)
Jones
3 (0.6%)
Lewis
3 (0.6%)
Mitchell
5 (0.9%)
Perez
158 (29.9%)

Total Members Voted: 225

Voting closed: May 05, 2021, 03:42:19 PM

Author Topic: Let's get serious. Who's going?  (Read 6421 times)

mileskishnish72

• All American
Let's get serious. Who's going?
« on: April 27, 2021, 03:42:19 PM »
We're at 15. That's too many. Not trying to be mean, just interested in seeing how well Scoopers can assess the lay of the land. Assuming that none of the commits since Shaka was named will recant, I've included all holdovers as well as recruits of the previous regime.
Included the option to vote for three since some posters have indicated that they think there may be more news coming. Let's see how smart we are.

StillAWarrior

• All American
Re: Let's get serious. Who's going?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2021, 03:44:59 PM »
We're at 15. That's too many. Not trying to be mean, just interested in seeing how well Scoopers can assess the lay of the land. Assuming that none of the commits since Shaka was named will recant, I've included all holdovers as well as recruits of the previous regime.
Included the option to vote for three since some posters have indicated that they think there may be more news coming. Let's see how smart we are.

Actually, 14 because Akanno entered the portal already.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2021, 03:59:37 PM »
And there’s differing opinions on whether Elliott counts against the scholarship limit next season.

So, we might be at 13. 

Why don’t you sit back and see how it plays out?

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2021, 04:05:37 PM »
At this point (and with Dexter already gone), I think the only realistic candidates are Garcia, Perez, and Elliot.  As far as I know, the other holdovers have already recommitted (and have had Shaka acknowledge that recommitment). 

Put me down as one who thinks Garcia is gone, whether it is to the G-League, international ball, or transfer. 

I could also see Perez transfer - if so, the hold-up is likely receiving a solid assurance from the NCAA that he'd receive a coaching change waiver so that he doesn't have to sit, regardless of the fact that this would be his 2nd transfer.

Elliot - who knows?  I think most of us would like to see him on board because he's easy to cheer for.  I do think he'd get a waiver for this to be his covid year if he wanted to go that route, so I'm not sure he'll count against us no matter what.  If that were the case, we could roll as-is today and no be oversigned. 

However, as others have said, I don't think we're done yet, and I expect at least one more in, meaning at least one of the above is not going to be here next year.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2021, 04:06:32 PM »
Why are people in such a rush to vote someone off the island?  Just relax, we'll all know soon enough.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2021, 04:23:31 PM »
The main reason Garcia chose MU (according to his comments around the time he committed) was he liked Wojo's plan for how he would be used. It's to be determined if Shaka's vision will align with what Garcia is looking for, but if not then it's probably time for him to move on anyway. We'd definitely be a lot better with him on the team next year, so hoping he is back but would not be surprised if that is not the case.

I said this a while ago, but it is pretty clear what Shaka is doing. We have one spot available currently (with Dexter's transfer) and two if Dawson does not return.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2021, 04:26:36 PM »
Not in a rush, House. Skip and Still, I saw Dex was in the portal, I didn't think that meant (absolutely) that he was gone. 94, I don't know if Greg counts or not. He had the redshirt year but I think he counts (I could be in error).

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2021, 04:33:29 PM »
I said this a while ago, but it is pretty clear what Shaka is doing. We have one spot available currently (with Dexter's transfer) and two if Dawson does not return.

Are you making additional assumptions here?  Because right now we have 14 for next year with Dex's transfer.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2021, 04:37:27 PM »
There is no reason to believe Greg can use his bonus covid year this year.  This is by every measure Greg's 4th year of eligibility. How it is a bonus year when he still very clearly has eligibility?  Had he played something like 8-10 games in his redshirt year I could see this argument having some legs.  He has only touched in the court in 3 seasons. 

With the NCAA I guess you never know, but I don't think that avenue should be something expected. 

At this point, I think Dawson is gone and that brings us to 13.  Hope to be wrong.  Any other additions, and Perez is the guy to go. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2021, 04:39:24 PM »

I don't think this is accurate as of this moment.  14 spots with Dawson, meaning 1 over.  13 spots and full without. -1 spots available currently, and 0 if Dawson does not return. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2021, 04:42:37 PM »
Skip and Still, I saw Dex was in the portal, I didn't think that meant (absolutely) that he was gone.

I think in "normal" circumstances you might be right that just because someone enters the portal doesn't mean he's absolutely gone (although I think most kids who enter the portal do end up leaving). However, in the current context (i.e., "We're a couple scholarships over the limit...I wonder who is leaving?") I think it's pretty safe to assume that anyone entering the portal is gone.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2021, 04:52:25 PM »
Can you set the poll to results after votes are made?Thanks.

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Viper

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2021, 07:53:01 PM »
Actually, 14 because Akanno entered the portal already.
this is a good move for MU, and the young man.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2021, 08:15:53 PM »
Can you set the poll to results after votes are made?Thanks.

Never set it like this before, Herm. Wanted to see the results retrospectively.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2021, 08:34:18 PM »
Never set it like this before, Herm. Wanted to see the results retrospectively.
Fair Enough ,will be interesting to see results
            ---Al McGuire

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2021, 11:18:44 PM »
Feel like Dawson is ready to join the Henry Ellenson All-Stars.  It’s a crowded front court with Hank, Dawson & Joey but they’ll figure it out.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2021, 10:28:15 AM »
I think in "normal" circumstances you might be right that just because someone enters the portal doesn't mean he's absolutely gone (although I think most kids who enter the portal do end up leaving). However, in the current context (i.e., "We're a couple scholarships over the limit...I wonder who is leaving?") I think it's pretty safe to assume that anyone entering the portal is gone.
I'm surprised any come back. 

Hey, coach, I'm going into the portal to see what I can find that is better than you.  If I don't find anything I like better, I'll come back.  Hold my scholarship until I decide.  Cool?
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2021, 04:22:24 PM »
We can all read the roster.  Is this just about showing how smart you are because you remember who didn't play last year?
This is the definition of a pathetic thread.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2021, 09:47:05 PM »
OK, Herm, you win. Things are just too fluid. I just had to see how many votes DJ had so far.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2021, 09:55:34 PM »
OK, Herm, you win. Things are just too fluid. I just had to see how many votes DJ had so far.
You had a good original concept but as you say things got fluid
            ---Al McGuire

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2021, 10:11:05 PM »
Looks like Shaka is pretty much going the clean slate route. Clean slates can be a good thing. As TAMU has stated we can expect more changes.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2021, 10:12:48 PM »
I'm surprised any come back. 

Hey, coach, I'm going into the portal to see what I can find that is better than you.  If I don't find anything I like better, I'll come back.  Hold my scholarship until I decide.  Cool?

They didn't have the transfer portal back then, but both Juan Anderson and Jake Thomas came back after initially declaring they were gonna transfer.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2021, 12:58:16 AM »
Whose going?

It should be who SHOULD GO? Or who do you hate to see go?

That is the real question. You can omit Carton because he has left.

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2021, 01:09:15 AM »
Whose going?

It should be who SHOULD GO? Or who do you hate to see go?

That is the real question. You can omit Carton because he has left.

I would really hate to see Dexter Akanno go. And a travesty would be Justin Lewis but I think he stays and should.
Those two I would put in my, they SHOULD stay list.

I think they can work with him and he can be very good. But he may be the first to go but I did not vote for him.

I took Elliot,* Garcia, and Perez.

The one guy who might be forced out is Greg Elliott which is a shame because I think his injury history might limit him to where he can go and what kind of opportunity he would have.

Greg will probably be hurt more than anyone else by all of this, and will need the utmost of luck and good fortune to whatever he decides. A great young man...who I wish could have stayed healthy so we can truly see what he could do.

But he being a guard with true guard size and not one full healthy year under his belt, he is caught in a numbers game. Really no leverage. His body just breaks down too often. 

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2021, 01:37:56 AM »
At this point (and with Dexter already gone), I think the only realistic candidates are Garcia, Perez, and Elliot.  As far as I know, the other holdovers have already recommitted (and have had Shaka acknowledge that recommitment). 

Put me down as one who thinks Garcia is gone, whether it is to the G-League, international ball, or transfer. 

I could also see Perez transfer - if so, the hold-up is likely receiving a solid assurance from the NCAA that he'd receive a coaching change waiver so that he doesn't have to sit, regardless of the fact that this would be his 2nd transfer.

Elliot - who knows?  I think most of us would like to see him on board because he's easy to cheer for.  I do think he'd get a waiver for this to be his covid year if he wanted to go that route, so I'm not sure he'll count against us no matter what.  If that were the case, we could roll as-is today and no be oversigned. 

However, as others have said, I don't think we're done yet, and I expect at least one more in, meaning at least one of the above is not going to be here next year.
This is who I picked....all 3.

I did not want to see Dexter leave. I liked his potential. But good fortunes to him...was not aware he transferred or was even in the portal at this stage. If I was him, I would stay or return.