* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 16, 2024, 06:05:43 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jay Bee
[May 16, 2024, 04:26:22 PM]

Home and Home with Maryland by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: State of the program, length of leash  (Read 12898 times)

WarriorPride68

• All American
Re: State of the program, length of leash
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2016, 03:00:25 PM »
Live RPI has us at 105. Real Time RPI was the one that he took a picture of.

Was hoping this win would crack the top 100 in RPI for MU. Pretty hard to be 18-10 in the Big East and still be at 105. Interesting year nonetheless.

Nova game can't come soon enough! Saturday will be fun

Slim

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2016, 03:02:18 PM »

I think it's cute that you still read a paper.

I don't read the paper every day, but I do subscribe to the Bangor Daily!

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2016, 04:28:54 PM »
It was one of MU's lowest turnover games of the year, so the press did not cause a lot of turnovers.    I think Wojo was trying to play clock and it bit him.   Most importantly, that was the stretch where MU was going to the basket and not getting any calls.   

You can't just look at turnovers but our offensive funk as a whole in the second half when they ran their press.  8 turnovers in the second half after only having 5 in the first half.  Zone press also whittled down the shot clock and didn't allow us to get into our offense quickly.  Only took 22 shots in the second half after taking 32 in the first half and a lot of those second half shots were not the best of shots.  Our offense was not running smoothly at all in that second half.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2016, 05:34:28 PM »
Didn't realize this was a State of Madison thread. Sheesh

I like this team. Someone mentioned it earlier. This is the 8th youngest team in the country. That's 343rd in the country. We are going to play that way. Who was left with a crummy situation and he has done well to turn it around.
I wish NCAA, but the NIT will be good experience for these boys.

Bring on NOVA

tower912

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2016, 05:39:03 PM »
You can't just look at turnovers but our offensive funk as a whole in the second half when they ran their press.  8 turnovers in the second half after only having 5 in the first half.  Zone press also whittled down the shot clock and didn't allow us to get into our offense quickly.  Only took 22 shots in the second half after taking 32 in the first half and a lot of those second half shots were not the best of shots.  Our offense was not running smoothly at all in that second half.
I don't disagree that you should attack the rack when you break the press.   MU didn't.  IMO it was a more of the falling back into the zone after the press that slowed down MU's offense.    There wasn't time for multiple ball reversals.   There were more Creighton steals and MU turnovers caused by the zone than the press.   Also, again, that was the stretch where MU, and specifically Henry, could not get a call, either. 
 But we are splitting hairs.     MU won on the road against what had previously been a bubble team.   Any conference road win is going to be fraught with bad stretches and should therefore be savored. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2016, 05:49:36 PM »
Chico can troll all he wants, but I stand by the post.  Lit a fire under Wojo you see.

That's cute

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2016, 05:51:31 PM »
That team does not have a lot of experience.  They have 2 players with a lot of experience.  Showalter and Brown played significantly less minutes than Wilson and Cohen.  The rest of their rotation is a soph and 4 freshmen who had 0 minutes last year.  When you add all of their returning collegiate minutes and compare to our returning minutes, it comes out to relatively the same number of minutes played.

In the meantime, they are getting significantly better and not blaming lack of experience and we are getting slightly better and are still using the excuse of our lack of experience. 

My opinion is that Wojo just doesn't know how to make in game adjustments.  He is a great recruiter so we will get better and better but Wojo won't win us games with his coaching.  Its been two years now and the only adjustment I have ever seen him make was going to that defensive zone last year. 

Last night McDermott made a great half time adjustment and nearly stole the game from us.  That wasn't lack of experience from our players.  Wojo needed to make an adjustment.  He didn't do it.  He never does it.  I want a sparkle of hope that he will get better but I don't see it.  Buzz was not a good end game coach early on in his career but he wowed me with his coaching that second year.  You could see improvement coming out of Buzz.  Do we really see any improvement out of our head coach?   

Experience can also be measured in years in a program.  You gain experience just by being part of the program, understanding what it takes, the processes and expectations.  The practice time, familiarity, etc.  Doesn't always have to equate to number of minutes on the court, which is also part of experience.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2016, 05:52:35 PM »
Live RPI has us at 105. Real Time RPI was the one that he took a picture of.

You are right, and that's actually what I meant...RealTimeRPI is brutally bad.  Thanks for the correction

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2016, 05:57:06 PM »
Was hoping this win would crack the top 100 in RPI for MU. Pretty hard to be 18-10 in the Big East and still be at 105. Interesting year nonetheless.

Nova game can't come soon enough! Saturday will be fun

Six home losses doesn't help.  A home loss counts as 1.4losses in the formula.  Rack up those home losses and it doesn't help unless you have a bunch of road wins to offset it.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2016, 08:58:25 PM »
Six home losses doesn't help.  A home loss counts as 1.4losses in the formula.  Rack up those home losses and it doesn't help unless you have a bunch of road wins to offset it.

We do have 5 road wins and 2 neutral site wins, which is pretty damn good. 7-4 away from home.