[Today at 07:12:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by mileskishnish72
[Today at 04:49:35 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Shooter McGavin
[June 14, 2024, 11:05:04 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by mug644
[June 14, 2024, 11:02:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: State of the program, length of leash  (Read 13036 times)

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
Re: State of the program, length of leash
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2016, 05:27:12 AM »
On one hand, we're still (hopefully, yet disappointingly) headed to the NIT.  On the other, great road win, congrats to the guys!  On the mutant third, Sandy was suspended.  Is that just kids being kids, or is it squirmy?  I'll give Sandy the benefit of the doubt, regardless of the coach.  Let's keep it up!

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2016, 05:48:33 AM »
On one hand, we're still (hopefully, yet disappointingly) headed to the NIT.  On the other, great road win, congrats to the guys!  On the mutant third, Sandy was suspended.  Is that just kids being kids, or is it squirmy?  I'll give Sandy the benefit of the doubt, regardless of the coach.  Let's keep it up!

Very fair assessment

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2016, 07:07:15 AM »
Badgers have improved leaps and bounds. We havent. We beat a bubble Creighton team on road.  Badgers would beat us by 15 if we played

Don't care.  We still beat the Rodents!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2016, 08:22:01 AM »
Badgers have improved leaps and bounds. We havent. We beat a bubble Creighton team on road.  Badgers would beat us by 15 if we played

"Leaps and bounds?"  No.  But Marquette has improved during the year. 

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2016, 08:28:38 AM »

Sayz you, I say that we are still easily the equal of Western Illinois.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2016, 08:42:26 AM »
I guess Wojo feels his defense offset his constant turnovers and inability to break the press.  I have the game on DVR (saw the game out of town live).  I will review game again to see what he saw.

Cheatham did a hell of a job on Watson.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2016, 08:52:43 AM »

There you are, obsessed with another program that we beat on their home court.   You don't think we haven't improved greatly since the days of losing to Belmont at home, having to go to OT against IUPUI?  Please.

Your other analysis of LSU going to the big dance since they didn't "waste their burger boy" is coming to a crashing end. 

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2016, 11:38:10 AM »
There you are, obsessed with another program that we beat on their home court.   You don't think we haven't improved greatly since the days of losing to Belmont at home, having to go to OT against IUPUI?  Please.

Your other analysis of LSU going to the big dance since they didn't "waste their burger boy" is coming to a crashing end.
Than they along with Miss st and us wasted a McDonald's all American

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2016, 11:39:57 AM »
Than they along with Miss st and us wasted a McDonald's all American

Eh.  I enjoyed watching him.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2016, 11:46:06 AM »
Chico can troll all he wants, but I stand by the post.  Lit a fire under Wojo you see.

Honestly, I think Wojo is on track now for a solid "B" - like I said earlier, I think the butler game was a real turning of the corner.  Still not where we want to be, but much improved - plus some real (and sustained) steps forward for JjJ and Du over this stretch - give Wojo credit for that.  So the leash is well and truly off for this year, he's done enough and I'm enjoying watching MUBB for the first time in what seems like ages.  But I think NCAAs next year is a reasonable expectation (barring the unforeseen).
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Hubert Davis

• Starter
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2016, 11:53:41 AM »
Why are some of you Marquette “fans” speaking so highly of the rodents? We beat them this season in their house. This is our state. Last night was a nice win for the Warriors. We need to win those games if we want to be relevant again. Just think of what could have been if we would have taken care of Belmont, DePaul and Creighton… We handed those games away. Possibly 21-7, 9-6 in BE with the tourney in reach…. oh THIN margins.

BEAT NOVA. Just win baby

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2016, 11:57:06 AM »
Very fair assessment

LOL. Of course you would agree with that assessment.

Let me ask you, have you taken any of your concerns to the board? The president? The AD? Wojo?

You seem very, VERY concerned about the current and future state of MU basketball. Perhaps it would be worth your time to voice those.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2016, 12:22:46 PM »
A great program. That team has a lot of experience though. Actually kind of happy for Gard. Seems like a nice dude. Happy we got the W against them though.

That team does not have a lot of experience.  They have 2 players with a lot of experience.  Showalter and Brown played significantly less minutes than Wilson and Cohen.  The rest of their rotation is a soph and 4 freshmen who had 0 minutes last year.  When you add all of their returning collegiate minutes and compare to our returning minutes, it comes out to relatively the same number of minutes played.

In the meantime, they are getting significantly better and not blaming lack of experience and we are getting slightly better and are still using the excuse of our lack of experience. 

My opinion is that Wojo just doesn't know how to make in game adjustments.  He is a great recruiter so we will get better and better but Wojo won't win us games with his coaching.  Its been two years now and the only adjustment I have ever seen him make was going to that defensive zone last year. 

Last night McDermott made a great half time adjustment and nearly stole the game from us.  That wasn't lack of experience from our players.  Wojo needed to make an adjustment.  He didn't do it.  He never does it.  I want a sparkle of hope that he will get better but I don't see it.  Buzz was not a good end game coach early on in his career but he wowed me with his coaching that second year.  You could see improvement coming out of Buzz.  Do we really see any improvement out of our head coach?   

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2016, 12:33:49 PM »
That team does not have a lot of experience.  They have 2 players with a lot of experience.  Showalter and Brown played significantly less minutes than Wilson and Cohen.  The rest of their rotation is a soph and 4 freshmen who had 0 minutes last year.  When you add all of their returning collegiate minutes and compare to our returning minutes, it comes out to relatively the same number of minutes played.

In the meantime, they are getting significantly better and not blaming lack of experience and we are getting slightly better and are still using the excuse of our lack of experience. 

My opinion is that Wojo just doesn't know how to make in game adjustments.  He is a great recruiter so we will get better and better but Wojo won't win us games with his coaching.  Its been two years now and the only adjustment I have ever seen him make was going to that defensive zone last year. 

Last night McDermott made a great half time adjustment and nearly stole the game from us.  That wasn't lack of experience from our players.  Wojo needed to make an adjustment.  He didn't do it.  He never does it.  I want a sparkle of hope that he will get better but I don't see it.  Buzz was not a good end game coach early on in his career but he wowed me with his coaching that second year.  You could see improvement coming out of Buzz.  Do we really see any improvement out of our head coach?     

Yes.  I think he has tinkered with the lineups and rotations as the season has gone on.  I think we have seen changes in Henry's positioning within the offense to wear he is taking less outside shots and more of a mid-range game.  I think we have seen development within the season of a number of players.

I'm not sure what great in game adjustment that Mac Dermott made that Wojo didn't react to.  If you are simply saying that Creighton went zone, Marquette went right into a zone offense.  A zone offense that has worked this year when it is run effectively.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2016, 12:36:25 PM »
Why are some of you Marquette “fans” speaking so highly of the rodents? We beat them this season in their house. This is our state. Last night was a nice win for the Warriors. We need to win those games if we want to be relevant again. Just think of what could have been if we would have taken care of Belmont, DePaul and Creighton… We handed those games away. Possibly 21-7, 9-6 in BE with the tourney in reach…. oh THIN margins.

BEAT NOVA. Just win baby

I'm with you, AD.

We won, Rodents lost.  After that, I don't give a fook what the Rodents do.  #donedeal

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2016, 12:39:18 PM »

Yes.  I think he has tinkered with the lineups and rotations as the season has gone on.  I think we have seen changes in Henry's positioning within the offense to wear he is taking less outside shots and more of a mid-range game.  I think we have seen development within the season of a number of players.

I'm not sure what great in game adjustment that Mac Dermott made that Wojo didn't react to.  If you are simply saying that Creighton went zone, Marquette went right into a zone offense.  A zone offense that has worked this year when it is run effectively.

How about attacking the basket after beating the zone press.  And that zone offense worked fantastic yesterday.  We went what 8, 9 minutes without scoring.  Turned the ball over a ton from the zone press.  There are lots of in game adjustments to be made.  I didn't see it out of Wojo yesterday and frankly rarely if ever do.

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2016, 12:41:47 PM »

BEAT NOVA. Just win baby

The issue is that every time we have a good year they have a good year as well and that takes the shine off of our win and we get buried in the paper.   Yesterday we have a nice win against Creighton, Than the badgers go on the road and beat Iowa by like 15 and know we are no longer in anyone's minds.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2016, 12:44:11 PM »
How about attacking the basket after beating the zone press.  And that zone offense worked fantastic yesterday.  We went what 8, 9 minutes without scoring.  Turned the ball over a ton from the zone press.  There are lots of in game adjustments to be made.  I didn't see it out of Wojo yesterday and frankly rarely if ever do.

Wojo wants the team to slow down because when it gets fast, the turnovers start coming even greater with this bunch.  But regardless, I don't think that the droughts in offense are due to poor coaching.  I think they are due to poor execution by inexperienced players. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2016, 12:44:26 PM »
The issue is that every time we have a good year they have a good year as well and that takes the shine off of our win and we get buried in the paper.   Yesterday we have a nice win against Creighton, Than the badgers go on the road and beat Iowa by like 15 and know we are no longer in anyone's minds.

I think it's cute that you still read a paper.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2016, 12:46:38 PM »

You care too much about what other people think.

And Sultan is right - it's kinda cute that you still read a paper.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2016, 01:34:16 PM »
... and we get buried in the paper.   

Matty Vasquez not withstanding, does anyone care what the JS thinks anymore?

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2016, 01:35:51 PM »

Disagree.  We beat them home or away still. 

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2016, 01:37:45 PM »
We are 105 right now.  LIVE RPI is the absolute worst RPI site.  Horrible.

Grand Canyon....not your father's Western Athletic Conference anymore.  Just a brutal conference.

Live RPI has us at 105. Real Time RPI was the one that he took a picture of.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2016, 02:02:14 PM »

It was one of MU's lowest turnover games of the year, so the press did not cause a lot of turnovers.    I think Wojo was trying to play clock and it bit him.   Most importantly, that was the stretch where MU was going to the basket and not getting any calls.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2016, 02:17:08 PM »