[May 13, 2024, 08:47:10 PM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by Shooter McGavin
[May 13, 2024, 08:40:15 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by brewcity77
[May 13, 2024, 07:04:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Pakuni
[May 13, 2024, 04:51:05 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Bynum to Bulls  (Read 6827 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Bynum to Bulls
« on: January 07, 2014, 12:15:12 AM »
Bulls trade Deng to Cavs for Bynum. Bulls get 1st rounder through Cavs from Sacramento, plus 2 2nd round picks. Bulls undoubtedly will cut Bynum and save a ton of money. Deng would have been a free agent after this season anyway. Probably the best thing the Bulls could do at this point. I look for them to amnesty Boozer at the end of this season as well. Healthy DRose, 2 1st round picks, 3 2nd round picks, Butler, Noah, Gibson, Thibodeau and whatever bench. I'm pretty happy with this result. Cheap Bulls obviously.

setyoursightsnorth

• Team Captain
Re: Bynum to Bulls
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 12:43:25 AM »
Bulls trade Deng to Cavs for Bynum. Bulls get 1st rounder through Cavs from Sacramento, plus 2 2nd round picks. Bulls undoubtedly will cut Bynum and save a ton of money. Deng would have been a free agent after this season anyway. Probably the best thing the Bulls could do at this point. I look for them to amnesty Boozer at the end of this season as well. Healthy DRose, 2 1st round picks, 3 2nd round picks, Butler, Noah, Gibson, Thibodeau and whatever bench. I'm pretty happy with this result. Cheap Bulls obviously.

wouldn't it be 3 first round picks? They have their own, the one from the cavs, and the one from the Bobcats if they finish within a specific place in the conference? I'm not exactly sure on the Bobcats one, but it stems from the Tomas trade a few years back. 3 picks in an absolutely stacked draft. well done and I'll miss Deng.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 01:54:00 AM »
wouldn't it be 3 first round picks? They have their own, the one from the cavs, and the one from the Bobcats if they finish within a specific place in the conference? I'm not exactly sure on the Bobcats one, but it stems from the Tomas trade a few years back. 3 picks in an absolutely stacked draft. well done and I'll miss Deng.

http://fw.to/Au9QiVG

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 06:12:49 AM »
A semi-premium player and 2 draft picks for a head case. Good move financially for the Bulls, very bad move player wise. Bynum will disrupt this organization until he's gone.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 07:22:46 AM »
A semi-premium player and 2 draft picks for a head case. Good move financially for the Bulls, very bad move player wise. Bynum will disrupt this organization until he's gone.

He's gone by 4P today.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 07:47:48 AM »
He's gone by 4P today.

Yep. THis move does 2 big things:
1. Gets something for Deng who was likely gone anyway.
2. Dumps a ton of salary for this season.

Bynum will get picked up by someone though, likely a contender.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 10:01:04 AM »
Bulls offered Deng an extension last week. He turned it down, so the Bulls figured he was gone after this season anyway. So good move to get picks in a strong draft.

brandx

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 10:11:00 AM »
I agree - great deal for Bulls. Don't get it from Cavs standpoint.

They still won't make playoffs, probably drop out of top 3 in lottery standings, and probably won't re-sign Deng.

Bulls, with no hopes this season will tank to get higher pick.

What will the pick from Cleveland be - next years 1st? I think the 1st this year is lottery protected for the Cavs.

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 10:36:26 AM »
I agree - great deal for Bulls. Don't get it from Cavs standpoint.

They still won't make playoffs, probably drop out of top 3 in lottery standings, and probably won't re-sign Deng.

Bulls, with no hopes this season will tank to get higher pick.

What will the pick from Cleveland be - next years 1st? I think the 1st this year is lottery protected for the Cavs.

With the way the east looks, don't count them out of the playoffs. At 11-23 they are still only 3 games out of the 8 seed.  HAHAHAHAHAHAHA wow.  I knew the east was bad, but that is crazy.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 12:01:41 PM »

Pretty sure the better picks are protected in the trade, meaning the bulls can only get the cavs pick if its out of the top 15, something like that

🏀

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 12:06:47 PM »
Pretty sure the better picks are protected in the trade, meaning the bulls can only get the cavs pick if its out of the top 15, something like that

Sacramento's 1st round pick to Cleveland protected for selections 1-12 in 2014, 1-10 in 2015, 1-10 in 2016 or 1-10 in 2017; if Sacramento has not conveyed a 1st round pick to Cleveland by 2017, then Sacramento will instead convey its 2017 2nd round pick to Cleveland protected for selections 56-60 (if this pick falls within its protected range and is therefore not conveyed, then Sacramento's obligation to Cleveland will be extinguished)

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2014, 12:25:52 PM »
what he said  ;D

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2014, 12:29:11 PM »
Well done Chicago.  As a Bucks fan, I am super duper jelly.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2014, 06:52:55 PM »
Gilbert made a strong statement at the beginning of the year about how he wants the Cavs in the playoffs.  No question that they have a chance considering that the current requirement is being about 5 games under .500. 
Gilbert seems to act emotionally quite a bit, and I think he wants to see the post season.
Good move for the Bulls. Had to be done.  Deng will be missed, as he gave a lot to the team over his nine plus.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2014, 12:16:57 AM »
I feel bad for Butler. Though he will get more PT, the Bulls are going to struggle.

Derrick Rose coming back WILL happen but you can toss out the All-Star version of DRose and substitute the Brandon Roy-like post-surgery version of DRose. He's going to be a headier but slower version of his old self.

Oh well.

The Bulls were never going to beat Miami or Indiana in the East anyways...
SS Marquette

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2014, 01:04:11 AM »
I feel bad for Butler. Though he will get more PT, the Bulls are going to struggle.

Derrick Rose coming back WILL happen but you can toss out the All-Star version of DRose and substitute the Brandon Roy-like post-surgery version of DRose. He's going to be a headier but slower version of his old self.

Oh well.

The Bulls were never going to beat Miami or Indiana in the East anyways...

But 80-85% of DRose is a hell of a lot better than alot of PGs in this league.  And if you could add in a top 10 pick from a stacked draft?  Plus a legit FA in the offseason?  Suddenly this team could be REALLY good and much less dependent on Rose.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2014, 08:51:56 AM »
But 80-85% of DRose is a hell of a lot better than alot of PGs in this league.  And if you could add in a top 10 pick from a stacked draft?  Plus a legit FA in the offseason?  Suddenly this team could be REALLY good and much less dependent on Rose.

They're going to have to tank pretty hard to still get a top 10 pick.

Legit FA in the offseason? Melo, please no. Greg Monroe, Evan Turner, Gordon Hayward?

The Bulls are in basketball hell, and will continue to be. 1/3rd of the salary cap goes to Derrick Rose, and an 80% DRose isn't a top 10 PG, maybe not even a top 15 PG.

I'm at least glad they're trying to blow it up though. Thought GarPax would continue to try and hold on.

Maybe Kevin Love would be interested in 2015, since him and Derrick are friends. However, Derrick would need to help, which he's not interested in doing. Then what do you do with Mirotic?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 09:35:19 AM by PTM »

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2014, 09:24:25 AM »

JB is going to play 40 mins a night, put up stats, and is going to get paid. All in all, this move benefits him greatly.

Also, I thought that JB and Deng really didn't fit together in the starting line-up. Their games are too similar, and I thought it hurt Butler's effectiveness.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2014, 09:30:10 AM »
The Bulls management have given up on this season.  They traded a piece that wasn't going to get them to the playoffs this year or be around next year for draft picks and cap space.   Seems like genius to me.  It just means accepting that the Bulls aren't going anywhere this year.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2014, 11:50:23 AM »
They're going to have to tank pretty hard to still get a top 10 pick.

Legit FA in the offseason? Melo, please no. Greg Monroe, Evan Turner, Gordon Hayward?

The Bulls are in basketball hell, and will continue to be. 1/3rd of the salary cap goes to Derrick Rose, and an 80% DRose isn't a top 10 PG, maybe not even a top 15 PG.

I'm at least glad they're trying to blow it up though. Thought GarPax would continue to try and hold on.

Maybe Kevin Love would be interested in 2015, since him and Derrick are friends. However, Derrick would need to help, which he's not interested in doing. Then what do you do with Mirotic?

The are only 4 games ahead of being bottom 3 in the east.  Without Deng, it wouldn't take much for them to plummet.  Its more feasible than you think.

And alot of guys.  Techinically all of the Big 3 is Miami is up.  Turner and Hayward are nice potential pieces.  Zack Randolph is in play.  Just depends where the Bulls want to go but a starting 5 of Rose, Evan Turner, JFB, young PF like Aaron Gordon from Arizona, and Noah looks pretty solid.  You would think possibilities for draft and FA are the 2-3-4 spots after amnestying Boozer and utilizing JFB's flexibility.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2014, 12:09:49 PM »

And alot of guys.  Techinically all of the Big 3 is Miami is up.  Turner and Hayward are nice potential pieces.  Zack Randolph is in play.  Just depends where the Bulls want to go but a starting 5 of Rose, Evan Turner, JFB, young PF like Aaron Gordon from Arizona, and Noah looks pretty solid.  You would think possibilities for draft and FA are the 2-3-4 spots after amnestying Boozer and utilizing JFB's flexibility.

Yeah, I didn't include any of the 3 for reason. I don't think Turner is a 'legit' FA in the terms of the NBA free agency trends. ZBO would be nice, but I don't think the 4 is where they need help.

1: Rose
2: Need a legit scoring threat that can create on their own
3: JFB
4: Mirotic or Kevin Love(drooling here)
5: Noah

With that lineup without KL, you need a heavy hitter at the 2. As a Bulls fan, I wish JFB could play the 2 better to get a combo 3 that would better compliment Rose. I think Rose could be better with a role-playing 2 and star 3, like Pippen.

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2014, 12:55:41 PM »
There's chatter that the Bulls could go after Carmello as a FA.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2014, 01:36:28 PM »
There's chatter that the Bulls could go after Carmello as a FA.

I can't fathom he would be a good fit with Thibs.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2014, 01:51:02 PM »
I can't fathom he would be a good fit with Thibs.

Will Thibs be coaching the Bulls next year? A lot of issues between him and GarPax.

Also, just how good is Carmello these days? Honest, question. Is he a top 5, top 8 or even top 10 player in the league? Since the Knicks are always a complete mess, I find it hard to determine.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2014, 01:59:01 PM »
Will Thibs be coaching the Bulls next year? A lot of issues between him and GarPax.

Also, just how good is Carmello these days? Honest, question. Is he a top 5, top 8 or even top 10 player in the league? Since the Knicks are always a complete mess, I find it hard to determine.

Still a top 5 scorer. Anything else, not so much.

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2014, 02:14:14 PM »

Carmello can score.  If a solid defense were built around him and he was inserted into that lineup, I could see them having success.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2014, 02:46:57 PM »
I do not wish for the Bulls to pursue Carmelo. Thibs and Carmelo would be a disaster. Carmelo is all about Carmelo still, he hasn't gotten it yet.

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2014, 03:06:00 PM »
I do not wish for the Bulls to pursue Carmelo. Thibs and Carmelo would be a disaster. Carmelo is all about Carmelo still, he hasn't gotten it yet.

+1000.  Same problems in NY as in Denver. 
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2014, 04:57:19 PM »
Still a top 5 scorer. Anything else, not so much.

Top 5 black hole as well.  King of receiving a pass on the wing, jab step...jab step...pivot...jab step...fade away.

Turner is averaging almost 20 pts, 6 reb, and 4 asts this year.  He's more intriguing to me that others I guess.  He could also play kind of combo at the 2 which would allow Rose to run off ball more as well.  And he's a Chicago kid, not that it means much.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2014, 06:30:32 PM »
JB is going to play 40 mins a night, put up stats, and is going to get paid. All in all, this move benefits him greatly.

Also, I thought that JB and Deng really didn't fit together in the starting line-up. Their games are too similar, and I thought it hurt Butler's effectiveness.

I agree.

This helps Jimmy gain more experience, showcase his game, and expose his weaknesses (which he will work on in the offseason). It also helps attract potential suitors.

But he's probably going to do it on a losing team.
SS Marquette

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2014, 11:50:43 AM »
Even with Deng gone I think they Bulls will finish 6th in the East.   There are just too many teams who are also bad and don't have the benefit of Thibs making them hustle night in and night out.

Melo coming to the Bulls would be a nightmare.  Everything that makes this a great team to root for is everything that he is not.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2014, 11:58:19 AM »
Even with Deng gone I think they Bulls will finish 6th in the East.   There are just too many teams who are also bad and don't have the benefit of Thibs making them hustle night in and night out.

Melo coming to the Bulls would be a nightmare.  Everything that makes this a great team to root for is everything that he is not.

Sad but probably true. Give Thibs the rest of the year off, get a better pick in this outstanding draft.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2014, 12:31:22 PM »
Melo coming to the Bulls would be a nightmare.  Everything that makes this a great team to root for is everything that he is not.

I'd LOVE to see the Bulls sign Melo. He may not be a "team-first" guy but he puts up 26-7-3 a night on 45% shooting.

The Bulls are great to root for because they're a bunch of hard-working guys who max out on their abilities. You know who doesn't win NBA titles? Teams of hard-working guys who max out on their abilities. You know who does win NBA titles? Teams with superstar players.

What's not to like about a line-up of Rose, Butler, Melo, Gibson and Noah. Snell and Dunleavy off the bench along with a cheap, vet guard (Mo Williams? Steve Blake?) and defense-first big man (Birdman? Kaman?). That's a contender.

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2014, 12:34:32 PM »
I'd LOVE to see the Bulls sign Melo. He may not be a "team-first" guy but he puts up 26-7-3 a night on 45% shooting.

The Bulls are great to root for because they're a bunch of hard-working guys who max out on their abilities. You know who doesn't win NBA titles? Teams of hard-working guys who max out on their abilities. You know who does win NBA titles? Teams with superstar players.

What's not to like about a line-up of Rose, Butler, Melo, Gibson and Noah. Snell and Dunleavy off the bench along with a cheap, vet guard (Mo Williams? Steve Blake?) and defense-first big man (Birdman? Kaman?). That's a contender.

^ exactly what I was thinking.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2014, 12:49:30 PM »
Dunleavy is as good as gone.  The Rockets have already inquired about him.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2014, 02:25:12 PM »

Maybe.... but I'd have to see it to believe it that Melo isn't going to burn 16 seconds off the clock and take a fade away 17 footer.  Don't forget Mirotic.   If you haven't already gotten excited about him, here is an updated Draft Express video talking about his strengths and with a bunch of highlights.  Hard to not think he could be a very, very effective player.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjaHc9Vp9wU#t=179

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2014, 02:43:45 PM »
Maybe.... but I'd have to see it to believe it that Melo isn't going to burn 16 seconds off the clock and take a fade away 17 footer.  Don't forget Mirotic.   If you haven't already gotten excited about him, here is an updated Draft Express video talking about his strengths and with a bunch of highlights.  Hard to not think he could be a very, very effective player.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjaHc9Vp9wU#t=179

He makes quite a few of those fade away 17 footers though  ;)

Can't believe I forgot about Mirotic. He's received a lot of hype and he's likely going to be more Taj Gibson (with range) than Dirk Nowitzki, but he'll be a very nice piece to the puzzle as well.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2014, 03:23:08 PM »
Carmelo is not the answer for the Bulls, the 2/3 position is the issue.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2014, 04:12:46 PM »
Carmelo is not the answer for the Bulls, the 2/3 position is the issue.

Melo can play the 3. The Bulls need Jimmy to become a "3 and D" guy at the 2.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2014, 04:17:23 PM »
I shutter thinking about Rose and Melo on the court at the same time...I cant imagine anybody getting up many shots with those two on the court.

feedback