collapse

* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 16, 2024, 06:05:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Judge dismisses all of McAdams claims against Marquette  (Read 39655 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: Judge dismisses all of McAdams claims against Marquette
« Reply #125 on: December 31, 2017, 07:32:42 AM »
George will’s attempt at a straight ahead, conservative approach to this complex argument was akin to one of those exercises of starting a rumor and passing it on down to 20 people and then taking note of how it finished at the end.  Mr. will was at the tail end and his interpretation of the chain of events was missing quite a bit.  Mccadams was probably shaking his head thinking, with friends like these, who needs

If the circumstances and the dialogue of this issue get distorted any further, it’s interpretations will fall solely on the political side of the one who last holds the pen.  I’m on mccadams side here only from the standpoint that he’s shining a light on an issue that’s been brewing within the academic circles for years.  Up until now, not many have pushed back.  Dr. John may not have followed,protocol here, but the fact remains that the student who started the fire was rebuked because, according to abate, he was going to make some in the class feel “un-safe”.  There are ways to hold conversations about “touchy” subjects and this is where a graduate student should grow a pair and earn their wings.  Maybe she forgot her Manuel on how to react to someone who pushes back on what she felt was undebatable. I don’t know. 

Abate had a chance to perform some blatant teaching here, the heart and sole of academia-to encourage debate and to encourage thinking on the run.  Abate Shut it down because she had all the answers and the “wet behind the ears” student was wrong

George will made himself more irrelevant once again.  Mr. “big words” and I am smarter than all of you swung and missed...again
don't...don't don't don't don't

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #126 on: December 31, 2017, 10:30:08 AM »
On another note, can this please put a nail in the coffin of the tired refrain that liberal judges are "activist" while conservative judges "call balls and strikes"? 

Buddy, that nail was hammered decades ago. In fairness to conservatives, I don't think they even try arguing that hokum anymore.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #127 on: December 31, 2017, 10:42:46 AM »
If the circumstances and the dialogue of this issue get distorted any further, it’s interpretations will fall solely on the political side of the one who last holds the pen.  I’m on mccadams side here only from the standpoint that he’s shining a light on an issue that’s been brewing within the academic circles for years.  Up until now, not many have pushed back.  Dr. John may not have followed,protocol here, but the fact remains that the student who started the fire was rebuked because, according to abate, he was going to make some in the class feel “un-safe”.  There are ways to hold conversations about “touchy” subjects and this is where a graduate student should grow a pair and earn their wings.  Maybe she forgot her Manuel on how to react to someone who pushes back on what she felt was undebatable. I don’t know. 

Abate had a chance to perform some blatant teaching here, the heart and sole of academia-to encourage debate and to encourage thinking on the run.  Abate Shut it down because she had all the answers and the “wet behind the ears” student was wrong

She didn't handle it correctly, but her initial dismissal of the topic was that it wasn't relevant to what was being discussed.

But regardless, it is a load of bullsh*t that this has been brewing in higher education for years.  A few examples have been drummed up by conservative media to make it look that way.  The fact is that there are thousands of ethics and philosophy courses taught every day in a thoughtful and balanced manner and the vast majority of faculty members and administrators expect balance to occur. 

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #128 on: December 31, 2017, 01:36:22 PM »
George will’s attempt at a straight ahead, conservative approach to this complex argument was akin to one of those exercises of starting a rumor and passing it on down to 20 people and then taking note of how it finished at the end.  Mr. will was at the tail end and his interpretation of the chain of events was missing quite a bit.  Mccadams was probably shaking his head thinking, with friends like these, who needs

George will made himself more irrelevant once again.  Mr. “big words” and I am smarter than all of you swung and missed...again

What happened to the student that started all this? Did he graduate/transfer/drop out/kicked out? Not much has been said about him. Looks like Abbate came out the winner in all this. Granted an expedited "transfer" with no apology to the student with a paying gig at Colorado. Meanwhile McAdams is out of a job because the President of MU said hit the road Jack, unless you admit to wrong doing and say your sorry.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #129 on: December 31, 2017, 01:47:59 PM »
What happened to the student that started all this? Did he graduate/transfer/drop out/kicked out? Not much has been said about him. Looks like Abbate came out the winner in all this. Granted an expedited "transfer" with no apology to the student with a paying gig at Colorado. Meanwhile McAdams is out of a job because the President of MU said hit the road Jack, unless you admit to wrong doing and say your sorry.

Yes, she was forced to leave school, received threats and harassment, and continues to be mocked in the national press (and elsewhere ... like Scoop) more than three years after the fact.
Definitely came out a winner.
If you'd posted this 24 hours later, you'd be out to a huge early lead for Most Inane Post of the Year.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #130 on: December 31, 2017, 01:54:54 PM »
Yes, she was forced to leave school, received threats and harassment, and continues to be mocked in the national press (and elsewhere ... like Scoop) more than three years after the fact.
If you'd posted this 24 hours later, you'd be out to a huge early lead for Most Inane Post of the Year.

So what.  Jane Fonda still hasn’t lived down her stupidity and for good reason.  Ya make your bed...

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #131 on: December 31, 2017, 01:58:17 PM »

And because she had to transfer, her progress towards her PhD was set back at least two years.
Have some patience, FFS.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #132 on: December 31, 2017, 02:00:04 PM »
So what.  Jane Fonda still hasn’t lived down her stupidity and for good reason.  Ya make your bed...

If you were forced to move for every stupid thing you wrote on Scoop, you'd be living out of a suitcase.
Happy New Year.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #133 on: December 31, 2017, 02:00:39 PM »

I could find out.  I know one of his buddies

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #134 on: December 31, 2017, 02:00:53 PM »

She made one rookie mistake as a TA. If this had happened to you during Dental school, would you have wanted people to have this kind of attitude about it?
Have some patience, FFS.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #135 on: December 31, 2017, 02:05:02 PM »

He's out to a huge lead for the Most Inane Post of 2017.  Better late than never I guess...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #136 on: December 31, 2017, 02:05:49 PM »

JANE FONDA!!!!

Holy sh*t, could you come up with a reference from say the last 50 years???

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #137 on: December 31, 2017, 04:22:06 PM »
She made one rookie mistake as a TA. If this had happened to you during Dental school, would you have wanted people to have this kind of attitude about it?

Nope

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #138 on: December 31, 2017, 09:23:46 PM »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #139 on: January 01, 2018, 11:12:51 AM »

Oh, and was the student she silenced was treated by the Philosophy department with respect?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 11:20:52 AM by muwarrior69 »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #140 on: January 01, 2018, 11:21:16 AM »
Oh, and the student she silenced was treated by the Philosophy department with respect?

Was he?  I have no idea.

Regardless, my understanding is that he was never publicly identified by a faculty member on a blog, wasn't harassed out of school, and didn't have national articles written identifying him and ridiculing his field of study.  Perhaps he graduated, but if he didn't, it wasn't due to this incident.

The idea that you somehow think that he was treated worse than Abbate is simply astounding.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #141 on: January 01, 2018, 12:08:28 PM »
What would be reasonable here is:

McAdams is paid millions and Abbate is arrested.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #142 on: January 01, 2018, 12:15:07 PM »
Oh, and was the student she silenced was treated by the Philosophy department with respect?

1. I have no idea.  Neither do you.
2. Relevance?
3. This is a remarkably weak defense of your remarkably dumb post.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #143 on: January 01, 2018, 12:20:28 PM »
What would be reasonable here is:

McAdams is paid millions and Abbate is arrested.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #144 on: January 01, 2018, 01:07:32 PM »

Meh.   He's consistent and predictable.  He wants lots of people who he disagrees with arrested. 
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 01:09:17 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #145 on: January 02, 2018, 01:26:06 AM »
1. I have no idea.  Neither do you.
2. Relevance?
3. This is a remarkably weak defense of your remarkably dumb post.

I do-MU harassed him, checked and monitored all his emails and made it very difficult to graduate.  In other words MU did their own form of ...nice education ya got there, be a shame if anything...and I absolutely cannot divulge my sources, but I sure MU would be happy to corroborate.  His life was made miserable

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #146 on: January 02, 2018, 02:21:56 AM »
I do-MU harassed him, checked and monitored all his emails and made it very difficult to graduate.  In other words MU did their own form of ...nice education ya got there, be a shame if anything...and I absolutely cannot divulge my sources, but I sure MU would be happy to corroborate.  His life was made miserable

Please explain how they made it difficult for him to graduate.  I have a suspicion your sources are wrong.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #147 on: January 02, 2018, 08:32:20 AM »
Yeah I have heard nothing of the sort.  And I certainly don't trust rocket as an unbiased source.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #148 on: January 02, 2018, 08:53:11 AM »
Not quite sure how an article from a member of the media could establish this, but okay.

Not so much established by the article itself, but established by McAdam's petition for review and requested relief (provided the article accurately captures the substance of the petition).

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #149 on: January 02, 2018, 09:10:28 AM »

If this were indeed true, don't you think McAdams would have mentioned it in at least one of the many diatribes he has posted about Marquette's actions regarding this incident? 
Have some patience, FFS.