'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Would MU recruit Wade, Butler, Crowder in 2021?  (Read 6986 times)

NolongerWarriors

• All American
Re: Would MU recruit Wade, Butler, Crowder in 2021?
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2021, 11:35:35 PM »
He has talked about it in more detail a few times.

Monarch, Juan and Vander were not big problems. Shouldn't be lumped in with the other stuff.

I know people who worked at MU then (and now) and Vander was not well thought of and was pretty commonly known to be part of the serious stuff.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2021, 07:53:36 AM »
There's a reason Vander went pro early with zero chance of being drafted. The rest of the stuff from galway is a little insane.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2021, 08:39:25 AM »
There's a reason Vander went pro early with zero chance of being drafted. The rest of the stuff from galway is a little insane.

It's not. This is the Malek Harris story all over again. I know something. I tried to allude to it. You a$$holes don't believe me and put the guy on a pedestal.
Maigh Eo for Sam

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2021, 09:27:00 AM »
I know people who worked at MU then (and now) and Vander was not well thought of and was pretty commonly known to be part of the serious stuff.

I was referring specifically to the one Vander incident. Anything he was involved in beyond that, I don't know.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2021, 09:32:37 AM »
There’s fights on Wells St every single night. Vander punching someone is not a big deal at all. I actually kind of like it. We need more players like that
Bring back FFP!!!

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2021, 10:20:31 AM »

The basketball team has gotten into fights during K.O, Crean, Deane, Buzz, etc...isolating a Buzz player for this topic doesn't really hold up.

Every topic, and, every individual situation varies, and warrants its own specific exploration. But to say that fights only happened under one coach would not only be incorrect, it'd be incorrect by a lot.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2021, 10:32:39 AM »
You aren't wrong.    Fights between athletes and other students and locals are a relatively common occurrence.   The team was busted for being in a bar underaged and not drinking at the bar fight that took place on DJO's birthday.     Sexual assaults are far, far too common.    Monarch's NCAA violation was really mouse nuts in the big scheme of things.   But they were all things that helped sour the relationship between Buzz and Marquette.    The AD and president who hired him had left and there was friction with the new regime.   And that ship sailed.   Moving on.   

MU isn't going to let a JUCO in that doesn't have a decent shot at graduating within the normal time frame, a la Crowder.  The three year guys like Butler and DJO who are that talented and somehow missed by other programs are basically unicorns at this point.    There are no partial qualifiers anymore.     

So Wojo grabs high schoolers, regular transfers, and grad transfers.     Welcome to 2021.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2021, 10:38:25 AM »
The whole "path to graduation thing" really rubs me the wrong way.  We admitted Henry freaking Ellenson.  That kid was never going to earn more than 12-15 credits at MU.  Jae was on campus for 4 semesters plus summer sessions, he absolutely could have put in time to move towards a degree.  I don't get why were all wrapped up in the eligibility clock.  These players should have unlimited access to a MU degree even after their time on the court is done. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

tower912

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2021, 10:39:36 AM »
I don't disagree.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2021, 10:48:05 AM »
The whole "path to graduation thing" really rubs me the wrong way.  We admitted Henry freaking Ellenson.  That kid was never going to earn more than 12-15 credits at MU.  Jae was on campus for 4 semesters plus summer sessions, he absolutely could have put in time to move towards a degree.  I don't get why were all wrapped up in the eligibility clock.  These players should have unlimited access to a MU degree even after their time on the court is done.

As long as the NCAA cares about APR, Marquette will care about the path to graduation. Anyone that cares about Marquette being NCAA eligible would also care about the path to graduation, I imagine. That focus changed once teams like UConn faced tournament ineligibility because of it.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2021, 10:53:32 AM »
As long as the NCAA cares about APR, Marquette will care about the path to graduation. Anyone that cares about Marquette being NCAA eligible would also care about the path to graduation, I imagine. That focus changed once teams like UConn faced tournament ineligibility because of it.

It was my understanding that all you needed was kids who finished their semester in good standing.  So a Todd Mayo getting a 1.8 but finishing the semester is better than Henry E dropping out of school in March to prep for the draft.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2021, 11:05:11 AM »
It was my understanding that all you needed was kids who finished their semester in good standing.  So a Todd Mayo getting a 1.8 but finishing the semester is better than Henry E dropping out of school in March to prep for the draft.

Let's not forget how the second the final buzzer went off after that 2017 NCAA tournament loss, Katin Reinhardt was ordering an Uber to the airport, a ticket to California in hand.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2021, 11:07:44 AM »
I may be wrong, but don't grad transfers count differently on the APR?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2021, 11:20:10 AM »

Sort of. Here's the oversimplified version.

Schools get 2 points for having an athlete stay in school and stay academically eligible.
Schools get 1 point for having an athlete stay in school who's academically ineligible
Schools get 1 point for having an athlete leave school while academically eligible
Schools get 0 points for having an athlete leave school while academically ineligible

To stay academically eligible, athletes need to complete certain %s of their required coursework by certain points. They also need to maintain a minimum GPA determined by each school. Marquette's is 2.0 (C-average).

So in the example you gave, Mayo and Henry would both be worth 1 point, assuming Henry was academically eligible and Mayo stayed in school. I think in actuality, Mayo ended up being worth 0 points.

There may be more specific rules for specific situations like grad transfers and players who go pro. I just know the basics.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2021, 11:20:49 AM »

Both are bad because 1.8 isn't high enough to retain NCAA eligibility. Finishing semesters with a 2.3 or higher GPA is the path to success. The path Marquette has chosen to take to achieve both of those is pursuing players that can be on a path to graduation.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2021, 11:34:07 AM »
Both are bad because 1.8 isn't high enough to retain NCAA eligibility. Finishing semesters with a 2.3 or higher GPA is the path to success. The path Marquette has chosen to take to achieve both of those is pursuing players that can be on a path to graduation.

Got it and we know getting that 1.8 to a 2.3 is lot easier than getting a lottery pick to finish the semester.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2021, 11:37:21 AM »

I think 2.3 is the standard for hs GPA to be recruited. My understanding is that each school determines their own college gpa requirements (it has to match their standards for other students to graduate).
TAMU

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2021, 11:58:06 AM »
The player with no path to graduate is MU’s “NBA Performance of the Night”

PRESENTED BY GRUBER LAW OFFICES

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKpi8A1ho1G/?igshid=123ikmp1mhy37 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2021, 12:07:47 PM »
Sew, watt iz it dat wee all want heer? Iz it a bunch of choir bois hoo kant play know fooki' hoops or a teem, wee as alums, ar proud of and kan brag 'bout, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2021, 12:39:34 PM »
I wouldn't describe our team as choir boys. Unfortunately, they also have been as good at hoops as I'd like them to be.
TAMU

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2021, 01:12:11 PM »

Schools get 2 points for having an athlete stay in school and stay academically eligible.
Schools get 1 point for having an athlete stay in school who's academically ineligible
Schools get 1 point for having an athlete leave school while academically eligible
Schools get 0 points for having an athlete leave school while academically ineligible

To stay academically eligible, athletes need to complete certain %s of their required coursework by certain points. They also need to maintain a minimum GPA determined by each school. Marquette's is 2.0 (C-average).

So in the example you gave, Mayo and Henry would both be worth 1 point, assuming Henry was academically eligible and Mayo stayed in school. I think in actuality, Mayo ended up being worth 0 points.

There may be more specific rules for specific situations like grad transfers and players who go pro. I just know the basics.

Since Henry went pro MU did not lose any points as long as he left eligible under NCAA standards: 1.8 going into sophomore year, 1.9 going into junior year, 2.0 after that.

Additionally, everyone needs to earn  6 credits per semester, 18 credits during the academic year.  Also, freshmen need 24 credits going into tbe next year (summers count). Then, 40% to a degree at the start of junior year, 60% senior year, 80% fifth year of undergrad.

Under Buzz, nearly the entire team needed summer school just to get eligible for the next season.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2021, 06:02:46 PM »

Thanks for the info, TAMU. But how do those points result in a school rating? Sum, average?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2021, 06:16:45 PM »
Thanks for the info, TAMU. But how do those points result in a school rating? Sum, average?

Add up the total points, divide by the total number of possible points, times by 1000 and you have your APR score.
TAMU

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2021, 06:53:58 PM »
TY

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2021, 06:58:59 PM »
The problem with Marquette under Wojo certainly isn't the quality of player.  Jucos aren't the answer to this problem.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

feedback