'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Would you take Buzz or Crean back?

Take Crean
15 (13.5%)
Take Buzz
32 (28.8%)
Both
18 (16.2%)
Neither
46 (41.4%)

Total Members Voted: 111

Author Topic: Would you take Crean or Buzz back?  (Read 16100 times)

WarriorFan

• All American
Re: Would you take Crean or Buzz back?
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2016, 08:20:16 AM »
I like the fact that MU has a history of quirky / different / unique coaches.  Al and rick were great examples.

Crean was also different but in a greasy slimy check your watch after the handshake sort of way.
Brent was very different but in a "gonna go down in flames Lamar Odom style" sort of way.

Wojo just isn't different enough.

The guy I wouldn't mind coming back if he ever got serious again about coaching is KO.  I thought he really brought some life into the program.  Definitely different.  Apparently a bit of an a$$ but pretty cool every time I met him... and back in the day he could really recruit too.  Good game coach too. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2016, 08:21:15 AM »
We do?

I don't. If he's good and builds a legacy that makes us an elite team, he'll stay. Why would you live in the Raleigh Durham area when you can live in Milwaukee?

PLUS TAX
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2016, 08:37:59 AM »
When Buzz left I would have been fine with Crean returning.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2016, 09:58:04 AM »
Why would you live in the Raleigh Durham area when you can live in Milwaukee?

No shiite.  Just ask 82 how horrible it is to live in the Carolinas.  Milwaukee has NC beat everywhere:

Common cold > Zika
Occasional blizzard > Occasional hurricane
Progressive racists > Traditional racists
Brandy > Southern Comfort
Door County > Asheville
Illinois > South Carolina
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2016, 11:22:24 PM »
No shiite.  Just ask 82 how horrible it is to live in the Carolinas.  Milwaukee has NC beat everywhere:

Common cold > Zika
Occasional blizzard > Occasional hurricane
Progressive racists > Traditional racists
Brandy > Southern Comfort
Door County > Asheville
Illinois > South Carolina

Leon's Frozen Custard > TCBY franchises.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2016, 02:08:10 AM »
I like the fact that MU has a history of quirky / different / unique coaches.  Al and rick were great examples.

Crean was also different but in a greasy slimy check your watch after the handshake sort of way.
Brent was very different but in a "gonna go down in flames Lamar Odom style" sort of way.

Wojo just isn't different enough.

The guy I wouldn't mind coming back if he ever got serious again about coaching is KO.  I thought he really brought some life into the program.  Definitely different.  Apparently a bit of an a$$ but pretty cool every time I met him... and back in the day he could really recruit too.  Good game coach too.

I know it is impossible, but I would love to see KO come back as a Wojo assistant to solely focus on defense.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2016, 05:20:32 AM »
Crean-maybe
Buzz--only as stable boy to clean up his manure.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2016, 09:25:34 AM »
I know it is impossible, but I would love to see KO come back as a Wojo assistant to solely focus on defense.

Impossible or not, it's a fascinating idea. Defense was O'Neill's strong suit — and the team that beat Kentucky to advance to the Sweet 16 might have been the best defensive group he ever coached in his career. They had a great on-ball defender in Tony Miller, strong rebounding and one of the best rim protectors of all time in Jim McIlvane.

O'Neill could probably give Wojo some tips on creative swearing, or how to preserve your voice during the season. They might even get into a fistfight at some point.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2016, 09:49:22 AM »
Neither, I want Shaka back. Wasn't he our coach for maybe 5 seconds, #donedeal?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2016, 10:00:33 AM »
Impossible or not, it's a fascinating idea. Defense was O'Neill's strong suit — and the team that beat Kentucky to advance to the Sweet 16 might have been the best defensive group he ever coached in his career. They had a great on-ball defender in Tony Miller, strong rebounding and one of the best rim protectors of all time in Jim McIlvane.

O'Neill could probably give Wojo some tips on creative swearing, or how to preserve your voice during the season. They might even get into a fistfight at some point.

KO also craved the fairer sex in ways that put the Capital P in Philanderer. Wojo doesn't seem to have the whole cheating on one's spouse thing down at all.

Marquette seemed to be the landing place for men with purient hungers and salacious appetites. KO and The Deaner were seething with vital hormonal secretions. Where do we get such men?

Death on call

Goose

• All American
« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2016, 10:02:30 AM »
Keefe

You are the best!!

mikekinsellaMVP

• Starter
« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2016, 10:14:43 AM »
KO also craved the fairer sex in ways that put the Capital P in Philanderer. Wojo doesn't seem to have the whole cheating on one's spouse thing down at all.

Marquette seemed to be the landing place for men with purient hungers and salacious appetites. KO and The Deaner were seething with vital hormonal secretions. Where do we get such men?

I was in denial, but this confirmed it.

The rodents really have surpassed us as a program.

mayfairskatingrink

• Starter
« Reply #62 on: December 16, 2016, 05:43:49 PM »
Just from a basketball perspective, I would take either one of them over Wojo.

Wojo cannot coach defense.  No reason to believe he's all of a sudden going to be able to get across the X's and O's unless he gets a veteran assistant.

The attitude on campus to the bball program is complete indifference.  Another dead season next year and a change needs to be made.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2016, 09:19:55 PM »
They both left...byeeeeeeee.  This is a very sad poll.  Low self esteem population MU.

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2016, 02:27:44 AM »
I guess it depends on whether one of them is going to get us back to the NCAA tournament.  If Wojo isn't, then sure, I guess?

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2016, 07:14:43 AM »
Why not bring Al back?  Somewhere we kept that DNA sample.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2016, 08:08:49 AM »
A coach's shelf life is limited.  Dikta said once that it is about nine years in the NFL.  I think Crean went one year too long, and Buzz hit that limit early due to his personality.  Both tried to play the scare game to secure further gives.

KO cracked me up as he wanted to come back a couple of times, after bolting here. Don't think that would have played out well.

Wojo is the right fit for this administration internally. Has recruited relatively well.  He is not the public salesman as he is too much the straight shooter.  Does he need to be?  Scholl seems to know how to bring in the money.  He has to prove it on the court and in the practice gym where he is struggling to learn on the job. If he makes the NCAAs this year, he will be golden for a long while.  If he has success and bolts after this up and down rebuild, he will be dead to Scoop.  If he struggles, maybe there is a piano bar that has an opening. 

That nine year horizon may be longer for college hoops with continuity of success.  But it is about right.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2016, 08:35:13 AM »
I think college hoops is different. Because you completely turn over your players every 4-5 years, the message doesn't become as stale. You can look at the mid-major level, guys like Rick Byrd, Greg Kampe, and Bob McKillop, who've been at it almost as long as K and Boeheim. But even at the high-major level, you've got Tom Izzo, Jay Wright, Mike Brey, Lorenzo Romar, Leonard Hamilton, and Scott Drew as examples of the possibility of modern day tenure. Had we landed Iman Shumpert, Crean might still be here.

I know it's not common, but I think it's easier to have longevity in college than in the pros.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2016, 12:55:35 PM »
The opening question in a Tanned Tommy return interview would have to be, "Where's that f#cking check for the soccer team, you a$$hole??"

Death on call

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #69 on: December 18, 2016, 10:35:58 AM »
maybe someone has alluded to this, but 1 of the 2 dudes we speak of here is quietly 9-1,  ahem ahem, hmmmm.  includes a 20 point beat down of new mexico and a road win over michigan.  i like wojo, but just sayin.  blacksburg must not be too tough a place to sell, eyn'er hey?
don't...don't don't don't don't

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #70 on: December 18, 2016, 10:53:17 AM »
maybe someone has alluded to this, but 1 of the 2 dudes we speak of here is quietly 9-1,  ahem ahem, hmmmm.  includes a 20 point beat down of new mexico and a road win over michigan.  i like wojo, but just sayin.  blacksburg must not be too tough a place to sell, eyn'er hey?

Beautiful area, not like MU, hard to compare.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #71 on: December 18, 2016, 11:06:17 AM »
Beautiful area, not like MU, hard to compare.

absolutely a beautiful region, but one of the "cons" of recruiting to blacksburg was that it's not an easy place to get to like a duke, chapel hill, miami or florida state, not to mention a football heavy school.  now if they were to take a page out of the rick pitino book on recruiting 101... ;D
don't...don't don't don't don't

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #72 on: December 18, 2016, 11:15:07 AM »
Just gunna leave this here. Buzz beat Michigan at Michigan this year. Hes 9-1. Marquette got slaughtered by Michigan at a neutral. Both teams did complete rebuilds, maybe its time to stop the rebuild excuse train?

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #73 on: December 18, 2016, 12:03:34 PM »
The opening question in a Tanned Tommy return interview would have to be, "Where's that f#cking check for the soccer team, you a$$hole??"

Does your wife yell Crean's name instead of yours during sex? You have issues, dude.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #74 on: December 18, 2016, 12:54:06 PM »
Just gunna leave this here. Buzz beat Michigan at Michigan this year. Hes 9-1. Marquette got slaughtered by Michigan at a neutral. Both teams did complete rebuilds, maybe its time to stop the rebuild excuse train?

Cool. Buzz is doing very well at VT. Congrats to him. Him turning around VT is the exception not the rule. For every Buzz Williiams at VT I can find you 5 Wojos at MU.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

feedback