Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: This team has had to deal with a lot of adversity  (Read 1348 times)

CTWarrior

• All American
This team has had to deal with a lot of adversity
« on: February 26, 2009, 07:37:04 AM »
Since Crean left...

...we have lost three players who we thought would get serious minutes to transfer (Mbakwe, Taylor, Williams)

...we basically have lost three players who we thought would be contributors likely due to the lingering effects of injuries (Otule, Fulce, Cubillan)

...we lost a guy who would have kept Frozena company on the bench to transfer (Christopherson)

Despite all of that, we were surviving and thriving by going to a short bench, the stellar play of the big 4, and the emergence of Butler, who was our consolation prize for those transfers out.

But I think James' injury will be the straw that broke the camel's back.

I know a Final Four was never really likely given our interior shortcomings, but I was confident of a run to the sweet 16 and could at least hope for more.  With James out, Sweet 16 is our absolute ceiling and I do not expect more than one NCAA win.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

nyg

• All American
Re: This team has had to deal with a lot of adversity
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 07:59:54 AM »
Agree totally.  Even if Cubillan plays 5 to 6 minutes to give Acker a breather, it will be brutal.  You cannot play six players and win against the other ranked teams.  We have four players, Hazel, Cubillan, Fulce and Otule who are just taking up space on the bench and Buzz is not playing them. Just taking up space....Yeah, I know injuries to Fulce and Otule, but I still don't know about those and the length of healing process (over 5 months???).  Jeez.

I hope Maymon is the beast they say he his and I really wish for Wilson.  Give us the 6ft 6-7 inch athletic types who have good hands around the basket.

Will be a difficult challenge, both mentally and physically, but maybe a George Mason moment can come through.  Still cheer them on with all your heart.

Moonboots

• Starter
Re: This team has had to deal with a lot of adversity
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 09:34:31 AM »
Since Crean left...

...we have lost three players who we thought would get serious minutes to transfer (Mbakwe, Taylor, Williams)

...we basically have lost three players who we thought would be contributors likely due to the lingering effects of injuries (Otule, Fulce, Cubillan)

...we lost a guy who would have kept Frozena company on the bench to transfer (Christopherson)

Despite all of that, we were surviving and thriving by going to a short bench, the stellar play of the big 4, and the emergence of Butler, who was our consolation prize for those transfers out.

But I think James' injury will be the straw that broke the camel's back.

I know a Final Four was never really likely given our interior shortcomings, but I was confident of a run to the sweet 16 and could at least hope for more.  With James out, Sweet 16 is our absolute ceiling and I do not expect more than one NCAA win.

The logical part of me would like to agree, but I look back and teams like this (http://bowlinggreen.scout.com/a.z?s=337&p=8&c=2&nid=582&csid=null&yr=2007) made it to the Elite 8... with not much size and ONE scorer.  Granted, Curry is unreal, but there's no reason that Wes, Jerel, and Lazar aren't a strong base to work off of as is.

Picking up the defensive slack is the tough part though.  :-\

feedback