'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Link to "Untucked" on Grantland  (Read 11862 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
Re: Link to "Untucked" on Grantland
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 10:39:18 AM »
wow!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 11:01:06 AM by melissasmooth »
MU15

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 10:41:34 AM »
A different time.   But a mindset that Larry and Fr. Pilarz never really understood.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 11:03:47 AM »
No way to watch this on iPhone/iPad, huh.

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
MU15

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 11:19:55 AM »
I love the McGuire quote that it is a mortal sin if you don't get the god-given talent out of a person.
MU15

w0bbie

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 11:23:16 AM »
Danny also discusses the film on the Andy Greenwald podcast:

http://grantland.com/podcasts/grantland-pop-culture/

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 12:16:10 PM »
Hopefully Mr. Pudi worked it out in his contract with ESPN that he can sell this as a DVD to Marquette fans, book store, etc.  Doesn't always work like that, but since this likely not to be aired on ESPN due to short running time, it would be ideal as a way to purchase separately. 

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 12:19:30 PM »
Hopefully Mr. Pudi worked it out in his contract with ESPN that he can sell this as a DVD to Marquette fans, book store, etc.  Doesn't always work like that, but since this likely not to be aired on ESPN due to short running time, it would be ideal as a way to purchase separately. 

Anyone know how they've handled the other shorts? I could see them grouping a few together to air as a single program, showing one as an extended segment on one of the longer, weekend SportsCenters, etc.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 12:24:25 PM »
Anyone know how they've handled the other shorts? I could see them grouping a few together to air as a single program, showing one as an extended segment on one of the longer, weekend SportsCenters, etc.

I think they packaged some of the early ones together as part of a boxed set. Hoping this will at least be available through iTunes.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2014, 12:33:29 PM »
This should be considered "must-watch" material for Marquette fans.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2014, 12:39:22 PM »

Most of the other shorts are the required 22 to 23 minutes long to fit into a 30 minute window. 

chapman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2014, 12:46:56 PM »
Perhaps they could add some color around it and bake it into an episode of Community.

BossplayaOtto

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2014, 12:54:39 PM »
That was excellent.  Previously ESPN shorts have been combined together and shown in 60 to 90 minute blocks on the network.  I saw 2 separate ESPN 30 for 30 shorts episodes that included Pete Rose, the Honus Wagner baseball card, Arthur Ashe and his brother etc. 

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2014, 01:25:06 PM »
"It just catches you cuz they waz fly as hell."

Nuf said.

seakm4

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2014, 02:24:29 PM »
When I heard about this I was excited, but had my doubts.  It was excellent.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2014, 02:33:48 PM »
When I heard about this I was excited, but had my doubts.  It was excellent.

+1

And 14 minutes is just the right amount of time for this subject.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2014, 02:59:22 PM »
Fantastic watch. Loved it.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2014, 04:34:55 PM »
Awesome, pure awesome.

Makes me wish MU changed their uni's. The baby blue with Marquette going corner to corner is so awesome, wish they brought it back.

God bless Al and those guys, what a great group/team.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2014, 05:03:32 PM »
Most of the other shorts are the required 22 to 23 minutes long to fit into a 30 minute window. 

I do not know if these shorts actually air on ESPN. Most of them are less than 15 minutes in length. According to Wikipedia, only two of the 30 for 30 Shorts are longer than 20 minutes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/30_for_30

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2014, 05:49:30 PM »
I love the McGuire quote that it is a mortal sin if you don't get the god-given talent out of a person.

One of his few quotes that definitely wasn't an original.  I heard it from Nuns in grade school.  I wouldn't be surprised if that's where Al heard it, too.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2014, 06:20:07 PM »
Hopefully Mr. Pudi worked it out in his contract with ESPN that he can sell this as a DVD to Marquette fans, book store, etc.  Doesn't always work like that, but since this likely not to be aired on ESPN due to short running time, it would be ideal as a way to purchase separately.  

CBB,

What is a DVD?  Some prehistoric artifact studied by anthropologists? You're dating yourself!

Serious, why would anyone buy a DVD when it's available for free online?  Want to watch it on the big screen?  $35 for chromecast!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2014, 07:45:22 PM »
A different time.   But a mindset that Larry and Fr. Pilarz never really understood.   

Not sure I understand this comment.  Many ways to win in college basketball.  We currently have 9 RSCI top 100 recruits have come to play for MU in the last 5 years, four of them signed while LW and Pilarz were part of MU.  Its' not like MU is not able to get talented kids to play or come to MU because those two were around.  So we take less flyers than we did in the past, the talent was still coming.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2014, 07:55:22 PM »
CBB,

What is a DVD?  Some prehistoric artifact studied by anthropologists? You're dating yourself!

Serious, why would anyone buy a DVD when it's available for free online?  Want to watch it on the big screen?  $35 for chromecast!

It's the thing that still accounts for billions in revenue each year and can actually be sold at a book store and make the registers ring.  124million Blu Rays sold last year alone, not counting regular DVDs.  I know some of you can't wait for the digital age to be here yesterday, but as HBO showed last Sunday night....lots of room for improvement.  LOTS.  People will still be buying DVDs for quite a while.  Declining for sure, but will be around for some time.  DVD sales did $7.78 billion in 2013.....still KILLING subscription streaming or digital downloads.

Lots of people still buy DVDs because they have no interest in streaming, or would like something they can put on their 60" LED that isn't bit rate starved through their Chromecast device or their internet speed....or maybe just want to watch something without Al's head pixelating or waiting to see Bo's uniform display but having to wait for the buffering.   ;)

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2014, 09:05:30 PM »

Lots of people still buy DVDs because they have no interest in streaming, or would like something they can put on their 60" LED that isn't bit rate starved through their Chromecast device or their internet speed....or maybe just want to watch something without Al's head pixelating or waiting to see Bo's uniform display but having to wait for the buffering.   ;)

It's also a little tough to give someone a Netflix instant stream movie as a gift.
Have some patience, FFS.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2014, 09:12:26 PM »
It's also a little tough to give someone a Netflix instant stream movie as a gift.

Agreed.  I was trying to address that in paragraph one, you need a tangible item to sell, which a DVD is.  I didn't do a very good job of it unfortunately.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2014, 09:41:45 PM »
Agreed.  I was trying to address that in paragraph one, you need a tangible item to sell, which a DVD is.  I didn't do a very good job of it unfortunately.

So answer this ...

Click on this link right now and you can watch untucked for free in HD as many times you want.

http://grantland.com/features/30-for-30-shorts-untucked/

Given this, how much of a market is their for a $19.95 box version of a 14 minute movie? 

I'm thinking zero.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2014, 09:51:59 PM »
So answer this ...

Click on this link right now and you can watch untucked for free in HD as many times you want.

http://grantland.com/features/30-for-30-shorts-untucked/

Given this, how much of a market is their for a $19.95 box version of a 14 minute movie? 

I'm thinking zero.

I guess you ignored what I wrote.  Ignored the stats, ignored reality.  I'm not sure what I can tell you.  People buy DVDs today still far more than they do digital downloads.

Sure, it's available for "free" that doesn't look too great on a large screen, etc.....also ignoring totally people that don't stream, don't want to stream, etc.   Putting it on DVD \ BLU Ray would also allow Pudi to put other content on there that didn't make it into the 14 minute film.  Finally, it would sell for something less at retail, probably $9.99.

As much as you want to think streaming is ruling the world, Netflix dominates, HBO is selling direct tomorrow.....there is reality. 

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2014, 09:15:43 AM »
the 30 for 30 shorts (including Untucked) were aired on ESPN Classic last month

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2014, 09:46:48 AM »
the 30 for 30 shorts (including Untucked) were aired on ESPN Classic last month

It will be on March 22nd on ESPN2 at 5:30am paired with Wilt Chamberlain: Borscht Belt Bellhop, an 8 minute video of when he was a bellhop in 1954.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2014, 10:34:25 AM »
Great piece.  Sure took me back!

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2014, 07:25:23 PM »
Not sure I understand this comment.  Many ways to win in college basketball.  We currently have 9 RSCI top 100 recruits have come to play for MU in the last 5 years, four of them signed while LW and Pilarz were part of MU.  Its' not like MU is not able to get talented kids to play or come to MU because those two were around.  So we take less flyers than we did in the past, the talent was still coming.

Let me explain what you are able to understand. Pilarz and LW were fired in part because their "vision" included higher admission and eligibility standards for athletes than places like UW, Indiana, Duke, etc. Over time, a policy that restricts your recruiting to a subset of your competition's will diminish your program. Capishe?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2014, 08:11:02 PM »
Let me explain what you are able to understand. Pilarz and LW were fired in part because their "vision" included higher admission and eligibility standards for athletes than places like UW, Indiana, Duke, etc. Over time, a policy that restricts your recruiting to a subset of your competition's will diminish your program. Capishe?

Apparently it wasn't happening since we had no problem landing top 100 players at a solid clip.

Maybe over time it does.  Maybe their vision was to be successful on the court and in the classroom.  Aspiring vision, though may not be practical.  Usually the answer is somewhere in the middle as I suspect is the case here. 

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2014, 12:55:17 PM »
An article about the uniforms in Grantland, too.  Not much new ground

http://grantland.com/features/sportstorialist-the-legacy-of-marquettes-untucked-uniforms/
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2014, 05:12:31 PM »
Have some patience, FFS.

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2014, 05:18:25 PM »
And the film got the Buzzfeed treatment.  Sadly, no cool GIFs:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/juliegerstein/danny-pudis-revealing-look-at-sweet-70s-basketball-fashion

There were 2 GIFs.  I like this one best.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2014, 07:47:38 PM »
There were 2 GIFs.  I like this one best.

You are right.  My internet is a little slow and they hadn't kicked in yet.
Have some patience, FFS.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2014, 11:00:04 PM »

Al was not just a basketball coach. He was a trail blazer for racial equality, social justice, and merit-based upward mobility.

Ted Sorensen wrote that in the summer of 1968 only two white men could safely walk the streets of Harlem or Bed Sty at night - Bobby Kennedy and Al McGuire. Al stood for something so much more than Marquette basketball. He will always be the greatest, ever.

Death on call

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2014, 06:47:36 PM »
Another piece from Grantland on Untucked--this one by its Pulitzer Prize winning film critic, Wesley Morris.  

BTW, I am very excited about the launch of the new FiveThirtyEight web site tomorrow.  Like Grantland, it is associated with ESPN (sorry, not FS1), and will have smart, talented writers.  I am guessing it will be one of my half-dozen web gateways.

It's depressing, really, the past. Retrospection tends to clarify. Take the 1970s. Things were better. Things were worse. You don’t want a return to oppression, lawlessness, or the denial of rights. But you do want the frissons, frills, and highlights. You want the breaking of bounds, the challenging of conventions. You want a return to even a loose symbol of transgression. One of those 1977 Marquette University uniforms should do it — the edition in tablecloth white with blue piping that ran around the shoulders and neckline and, more spectacularly, around the shirt’s bottom. The players wore them untucked and, in doing so, caused a minor national stir on their way to an NCAA championship.

The jerseys remain a point of excitement, accompanied by a tinge of exasperation. They’re like “Catch you on the flip side,” Bonnie Franklin, or Billy Dee Williams: emblems of an era that didn’t matter much beyond the moment they were in. Maybe you don’t want to relive 1977 — it was a tough year. But in Untucked, an ESPN 30 for 30 short by the actor Danny Pudi, the men who played basketball for Marquette in the latter part of the decade talk about the uniforms as a reaction against stuffiness and conservatism, as revolutionary, and you believe them. It seems true.

It wasn’t just that the shirts weren’t stuffed into the shorts — it was that Maurice “Bo” Ellis arrived at Marquette in 1973 as a forward and was encouraged to do that rethinking. Al McGuire was coaching at the time, and he got Ellis into design classes and let the then-Warriors (they’re the Golden Eagles these days) wear the results. Ellis wanted patterns and colors. He wanted to introduce flourish and flair to a sartorially staid sport.

This was a moment when the United States was experimenting with design and fabric and propriety. Men wore everything tight. Women wore pants. Everybody was hairy. People experimented with patterns — on other patterns. Not all the experiments worked. Fine, most didn’t.1 But McGuire allowed a bunch of black and white youth to be part of the national style conversation. All these years later, McGuire’s apparent casualness with the uniforms still inspires astonishment.

Ellis introduced zigzags and arrowheads on the flank. There was the bumblebee getup — thin gold stripes on black — that was banned because referees claimed to find it difficult to see the players’ names and numbers. Fair enough. Even before Ellis’s innovations, the team’s cheerleaders leapt and kicked in uniforms with a chevron pattern on the miniskirt and a flesh-toned midsection, which created the illusion that the striped shirt was a long-sleeved halter top. (The knee-highs matched.) Ellis was joining a university guided, at least in part, by a spirit of playfulness.

The untucked jerseys were a revelation. They detonated the idea that civility meant wearing your pants over your shirt. These were graceful garments that gave the team kicky style. Ellis says he loved the sense of freedom he felt moving in them. He didn’t feel restricted. Other players are reported to have gawked in envy. Coaches at rival schools supposedly carped that the uniforms were too cool, that they gave Marquette an unfair recruiting advantage. By 1984, the NCAA had banned them. The uniform section of the 2010-11 NCAA rulebook devotes eight articles to matters of jerseys and pants. The last concisely addresses tucking, adding an italicized note of severity:

The first time an official must tell a player to tuck in the game jersey, the official shall issue a warning to the head coach. The next time any player on the same team has the game jersey untucked, that player shall leave the game until the next opportunity to substitute. The official shall enforce this rule at the next dead ball after observing the violation.

As uptight as that sounds, so much has changed since 1977 that the rule hardly seems worth a fight. Untucked doesn’t work in basketball today. Even with the advent of fabrics that stretch with a player and wick moisture, men like their clothes long and loose. It’s true no fan wearing a jersey today is tucking it in. But that probably does more to reinforce the rule than relax it. Keep the line separating audience from performers discrete. Let the fans lack decorum.

Also: There is no Bo Ellis today. There’s Adidas working in tandem with the NBA. There are too many considerations, too many people to please. But the primary reason not to demand an untucked option is corporeal. The sartorial advantage men had five decades ago was one women — certain woman, to be sure — continue to enjoy. Those men were lanky, and you can do a lot with lankiness. In 2014, there are just too many different bodies in basketball, and not enough of them are Chris Bosh’s.

The great thing about those old Marquette jerseys is how they hung on the players. You get a charge out of how perfectly — how beautifully — they fit. Pudi’s movie doesn’t get into this (it runs 14 minutes), but those untucked uniforms were a marvel of tailoring. The jerseys had to retain the structural virtue of a shift dress without evoking dressness. You needed to see the shorts at all times. Ellis’s designs would be a disaster on the average player today. But setting regulations aside, I’d urge the apparel companies and their employers to reconsider.

There’s a great, famous photo of the ’77 team arranged around a Rolls-Royce parked outside a ranch house. They’re all in tuxedoes, and only one of the tuxes is the standard black and white. You don’t want to go back to a time when that was normal.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2014, 06:54:25 PM »
Marquette had the nickname--WARRIORS WARRIORS WARRIORS  WARRIORS not The Gold or the puky
Golden Eagles name. That sucks!

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2014, 06:56:30 PM »
SAW THE GAME IN ATLANTA AGAINST NC-CHARLOTTE AND CELEBRATED THE BIG ONE.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2014, 06:57:55 PM »
IT WAS GREAT TO SEE BUTCH, BO, AND FINALLY BERNARD TURNED IT ON.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2014, 07:01:13 PM »
IT WAS GREAT TO SEE BUTCH, BO, AND FINALLY BERNARD TURNED IT ON.

Just to let you know:  Your caps lock is on.
Have some patience, FFS.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2014, 07:21:03 PM »
From the last paragraph:

There’s a great, famous photo of the ’77 team arranged around a Rolls-Royce parked outside a ranch house. They’re all in tuxedoes, and only one of the tuxes is the standard black and white. You don’t want to go back to a time when that was normal.

It wasn't a Rolls Royce.  It was a Packard.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 07:25:29 PM by Sir Lawrence »
Ludum habemus.