collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Life's perspective  (Read 4749 times)

Bad_Reporter

• All American
Life's perspective
« on: March 11, 2018, 10:56:40 PM »
Fellow friends,

Just got a call from a relative that my mom has probable stomach cancer.  I kept it together for 10 minutes and now, I've been a wreck. 

I wanted to ask everyone who has had experience with this, on how you cope with such a thing?  I haven't really dealt with any family members dying in my lifetime (I'm 29) and I guess I'm just looking for others to possibly share their stories, or experiences in life and how one deals with such a thing.  It doesn't have to be cancer related or really any disease or illness related.  Just looking for comfort or perspective from a group of guys (and gals) who I respect, and always learn something from while reading scoop over the past 7 years.

Thank you everyone.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: Life's perspective
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 11:09:56 PM »
So sorry for your mom's diagnosis.

I lost my aunt (dad's sister) to suicide when I was an 18-year old freshman at MU. It was April 2, 1981, and suddenly we were driving to Florida for a funeral. I was totally blindsided, as we had been very close. In fact, a friend and I had spent much of the preceding summer living with them on an extended vacation.

A couple of thoughts. There is still hope that treatment can help your mother; cancer treatment gets better all the time. And regardless of her prognosis, she is still with you today. Tell her how you feel, how much she means to you. Don't be afraid to make yourself vulnerable. And it doesn't have to be morbid - talk about precious childhood memories and events. It will make you feel better, and very likely help your mom feel better too.

All the best.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 08:47:01 AM »
Also, sorry for the diagnosis.  I was older than you (40) when i lost my dad to pancreatic cancer.

Goooo is spot on with his response.  I'll only add two things; first, being there for your mom and being open with her will leave you with no regrets.  second, and your post indicates that you realize this, you know a lot of people who have gone through this and there are a lot of people willing to share/help you.

Be there for her, for yourself, for others in her life and you'll be surprised by the response you get from everyone (especially yourself)

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 09:27:03 AM »
First off, I'm sorry you got some rough news.  Second, make sure you cherish the times you still have and remember the times you've already had.  And while there's always hope and certainly hang onto that, make sure you make the most of the remaining time.  She'll want to make more 'good' memories.  You should too.  Some folks don't get the chance to say goodbye.  And that can be unfortunate when it happens.

Take care and God bless.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 09:36:28 AM »
Good luck and God's blessings on you and your family.   Celebrate what you have and what you have had.   All of our journeys end.  Spend as much time with your mom as you can.  Be grateful that you have the chance to do and say the things that many never do.  Losing a loved one hurts.  Everyone in your family will grieve.  Embrace it and them.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 10:46:43 AM »
First and foremost, prayers and support, god bless you, your mom, and your family.

From my experience with my son, what I would offer up is to communicate as much as possible with your family/friends. Express emotion. Collectively as a family, do everything you can to put your mom in the best possible position to be comfortable and hopefully to succeed. Investigate the best medical care facilities/doctors that are available, and don't be afraid to move her to a different facility if need be. I can share that my son was at one hospital here in Chicago for three days, my wife and I came to the conclusion that it wasn't the right place for him to be at, and we switched hospitals. That sounds easy in hindsight, but at the time, it was stressful as hell to make that decision and execute it.

The most important thing I can really offer is this: everyone's situation is different. The internet medical info will not be your friend. Everyone responds to treatment differently. There's nothing harder in life than what you're going through right now. Share memories, and do what you can to keep making memories.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 01:40:42 PM »
Patience.  Be patient with yourself.  It's a crap-ton to get through.  It can be a life long grieving process for some.  And be patient with everyone going through the same thing.   
Process. Not for everyone, but some solitude and a notebook to write and process your thoughts about the person.  What can be learned of their situation, and how can you improve your life by taking in their good and leaving behind their bad traits.  I've taken trips out of the country just to sit on a beach, or wherever you like, and just wrote and thought.  Did very good things for me.  And I still reflect on those thoughts several years removed.
Listen to your family members thoughts.  There are no invalid concerns from them or yourself. 
Spend as much time with your mom as possible, but give her the space she needs.  She's grieving too.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 01:50:49 PM »
MU Pilot

First, I would like to let you know that you, your Mom and family will be in our prayers. The one word of advice I can offer is, be patient and try to wait until all news is confirmed before letting emotions take over. I recently have had a family member diagnosed with cancer, and from the day the Dr. showed concern and the cancer being confirmed was well over a month. From Day 1 my wife (her sister) and I worried like crazy and it made for a very long four weeks.

I guess what I am trying to say is, wait until all the news is in before processing your feelings. With my sister in law I feared the worst for over a month and the stress was not healthy. Try and stay positive and know your fellow scooper's are praying for you.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2018, 02:37:35 PM »
Sorry to hear that. I was 31 when my father passed away. It was terrible, worst feeling I've ever experienced. Never got a chance to meet any grandkids, never got a proper retirement.

But there were some kids I grew up with who lost thier fathers in grade school & high school, and I thought of them, and it made me really thankful that I got to spend so much time and all of my formative years with him around. For months, I was involuntarioly flooded with vivid memories of lessons he taught me and how he helped me through hard times, and how much different I'd be if I he wasn't there during those years. Now that I have a child, I think about those things he did for me all the time, and it makes me happy.

That's what helped me the most. Gratitude for all the time he gave. With your mom still around, it would be great to tell her thanks.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2018, 10:02:47 PM »
This thread and Basic Goodness in People thread.  Reminds me of why I love Scoop and MU.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2018, 10:27:21 PM »
Fellow friends,

Just got a call from a relative that my mom has probable stomach cancer.  I kept it together for 10 minutes and now, I've been a wreck. 

I wanted to ask everyone who has had experience with this, on how you cope with such a thing?  I haven't really dealt with any family members dying in my lifetime (I'm 29) and I guess I'm just looking for others to possibly share their stories, or experiences in life and how one deals with such a thing.  It doesn't have to be cancer related or really any disease or illness related.  Just looking for comfort or perspective from a group of guys (and gals) who I respect, and always learn something from while reading scoop over the past 7 years.

Thank you everyone.
First of all she may have a curable form of the disease. So stay positive.  She needs you to stay positive. Second, just spend as much quality time as you can with her.  She is proud of all you have achieved so far in life and let her soak it in. Stay in the moment and don't focus on the big picture.

I went through this with my mother. She fought hard  but eventually lost her battle.  There are lots of things I wish I would have said or did over the course of my life with respect to her and only realized it after she was gone. It has been many years since she passed, but she is still with me everyday.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2018, 07:19:50 AM »
First of all she may have a curable form of the disease. So stay positive.  She needs you to stay positive. Second, just spend as much quality time as you can with her.  She is proud of all you have achieved so far in life and let her soak it in. Stay in the moment and don't focus on the big picture.

I went through this with my mother. She fought hard  but eventually lost her battle.  There are lots of things I wish I would have said or did over the course of my life with respect to her and only realized it after she was gone. It has been many years since she passed, but she is still with me everyday.

I am so sorry for your Mom, and you are young to have to go through this.

I lost both my parents to cancer (and a sister in a car accident) in a 15 month window when I was around 40.  I am one of seven kids, so I had a built in support system that helped a lot.

Three years ago I was told I had probably had prostate cancer but it turned out to not be the case, so hope and pray for the best.  My wife has breast cancer at the moment (She had a successful lumpectomy a week or two before Christmas, it hadn't spread despite the doctor's initial dire predictions.  She's in the middle of chemo and she is going to be fine, thank goodness).  Medicine has advanced pretty far, so whatever the diagnosis, hold out hope.

I spent as much time as I could with both my parents and brought their grandkids around as much as possible so they could hear stories about when their grandparents were young.  I think it really helped everyone involved.  Point is, stay upbeat and positive when you are with your mom, don't dwell on the disease, and just enjoy each other's company as much as possible.  Lean on family and friends for support, continue to live your life.  My prayers are with you.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2018, 07:39:03 AM »
I'm sorry that you have to go through this, MUpilot, and you, your mother, your family and your mother's care-givers are in my prayers.  I pray that you all are able to experience peace.  I pray that the ultimate diagnosis/prognosis are positive.  I also pray for wisdom and guidance for her care-givers so that she can receive the best medical care possible.

Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2018, 08:22:39 AM »
I'm sorry that you have to go through this, MUpilot, and you, your mother, your family and your mother's care-givers are in my prayers.  I pray that you all are able to experience peace.  I pray that the ultimate diagnosis/prognosis are positive.  I also pray for wisdom and guidance for her care-givers so that she can receive the best medical care possible.

Pilot,

When my wife was diagnosed with cancer 16+ years ago it overwhelmed me. I felt helpless (and somewhat hopeless) initially, but once we sat with the doctors and they gave us a plan things got better. We were very lucky and remain so today as she is cancer free. The journey for my wife was eye opening and life affirming. Seeing how loved and indispensable she was to so many took her aback somewhat, but in a most positive way. Help your Mom know just how special she is as she moves forward - whatever the outcome it will help ease the way. I hope and pray for the best possible outcome for your Mom - and also for the strength to deal with whatever comes your way.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2018, 09:48:26 AM »
LloydsLegs

While I disagree with many on here in regards to ball, I 1000% agree with your analysis of scoop overall. It really warms my heart to see the kindness in people. Over the years several scoopers(and former scoopers) helped my cope with some tough times in my life. I really hope MU pilot's Mom does well moving forward.

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2018, 10:32:55 AM »
Thank you so much everyone.  While reading everyone's comments and concerns it's unreal when you realize the people who you've read their post over the past 7 years are also humans.  I think I get lost when i read Sultan, Tower, Goose, everyone's, perspective on MU ball, and forget that everyone is human. We all have struggles, we all have problems, issues, triumphs, and happiness. I truly appreciate everyone on here, their insights, love for Marquette, and also the mods for making and keeping this site running.  It makes my life much more enjoyable

Thank you everyone for sharing your stories and advice, you will never know how much it means to me and my family. 

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2018, 04:35:04 PM »
Pilot, so sorry about your mother. It's a horrible feeling getting news like that and I, like many of us, really feel for you. I just wanted to echo what a few have mentioned here: tell your mom what she means to you and don't hold back. Because you're going to think about the things you said (or didn't say) for the rest of your life, and it will give you - and she - some measure of peace that you got to tell her everything. I'm pulling for your mom and you.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2018, 05:04:57 PM »
Thank you so much everyone.  While reading everyone's comments and concerns it's unreal when you realize the people who you've read their post over the past 7 years are also humans.  I think I get lost when i read Sultan, Tower, Goose, everyone's, perspective on MU ball, and forget that everyone is human. We all have struggles, we all have problems, issues, triumphs, and happiness. I truly appreciate everyone on here, their insights, love for Marquette, and also the mods for making and keeping this site running.  It makes my life much more enjoyable

Thank you everyone for sharing your stories and advice, you will never know how much it means to me and my family.

Thank you for another needed dose of perspective.    We argue to the point of absurdity over minor points about MU basketball.    But the vast majority of us share a bond as MU alum.    We are mothers, fathers, brothers, sons, daughters, sisters.    We want good things for our families.    We want love, security, friendship, fellowship, laughter.     Fear of death and loss also unites us.   You are simply another cousin who we fight with but who, in the end, we sympathize and empathize with.       That is what matters.     Arguing to the nth degree over MU hoops?    In the end, that is just entertainment.      Others have been where you now find yourself.    Don't be afraid to reach out.     Hang in there, brother. 
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 05:06:52 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2018, 06:46:13 PM »
First of all, pilot, my sincerest MU prayers are with you, your mother and the family.  I pray for peace and allowing God do for you what you cannot do for yourself.  I know it’s very hard to comprehend and is easier said than done, but trust Him.  Things always happen for a “reason”.  Your faith is your hope.  Prayer does work if you allow it. 

Just reading this thread is amazing!  I believe it is one of the first signs that God’s is with you; reaching out to the ‘scoop community is Him helping you begin to cope and then to be strong for your mom.

All of these responses make my eyes kinda watery-good on all of ya and pilot, don’t be shy to keep us up to date.   
     Prayers are coming your way my man💪
don't...don't don't don't don't

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2018, 07:03:00 PM »
#justbeatcancerbaby

Maybe in our lifetimes.  Hits us all

MU82

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2018, 09:26:24 PM »
MUpilot:

There is no how-do guide on dealing with this. Everybody is different. Some deny, some get angry, some withdraw, some turn (or turn more) to religion, some reach out to family/friends they haven't seen in years, etc.

There is no one "correct" way to process information like this, so my advice is to be yourself, control what you can, and don't worry about grieving in some kind of "acceptable" way. Only you know the pain you are feeling.

Hopefully, you have a sibling or close friend or somebody else with whom you can commiserate. That won't "solve" anything, but talking or hugging or just sitting quietly with somebody you love and/or respect can help a lot.

Also: Remember to take care of yourself. You are of no use to your mom if you are sleep-deprived, hungry, sick, etc.

I wish you well, my friend.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2018, 10:42:53 PM »
Pilot,

All the best to your mom, you, and family.

The year my mom passed, we visited where she grew up with her.  Took the kids with us.  Spent some great time on Kelley's Island, took the kids to Cedar Point.  My mom didn't let us know, but she wasn't doing well.  She was having too much fun.  She passed later that fall. 

A few years ago, I dripped out my wife had cancer.  She is well now.  I can totally relate to how agonizing and long that wait is from when you first hear, to when you actually get to talk to a doctor.  The weeks felt like....years.  The day my wife first called me, I had a six hour trip in front of me to get home. Longest day ever.

THANK YOU for sharing and starting this thread.  For some of us, it's helpful because we can share, and appreciate how much we have in common.  There are others too who may not share, but appreciate it none the less.

Oh, and on a matter that is really insignificant in the big picture of life, GO WARRIORS!!!

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2018, 01:58:05 PM »
Pilot

I am so sorry for your Mom's diagnosis. I feel for you and will remember you in my prayers.

Both of my in-laws (to whom I was close) and my Mom have passed away. As has my grandparents to whom I was very close. My Dad, who in many ways was a living, breathing and caring role model every day of his life, has Alzheimers and is in memory care. So, I do feel what you are facing.

The biggest advice I have is to be thankful for the time, caring and relationship you had. We can't go back to what was, say 10 or 20 years ago, but we can remember fondly those things and parts of our lives that have changed or left us.  The day my grandmother died, I shook over and over because of what she meant to me. But I recall something happened on the drive home from her funeral (a seven hour trip) in which the wisdom to appreciate her as a special person in my life dawned on me.

You have someone who will never leave you. She may pass on, but she will be with you. Be thankful for that!

Goose

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2018, 02:07:41 PM »
dgies

I remember asking my father in law if I would ever get over missing my Mom after she passed away and his response, "why would you want to?". There is not a day that goes by, without me thinking of both my parents, my father in law and brother in law that have passed away and everyday I think about "why would you want to?". As time has marched on, I still miss them, but thank God everyday that I still miss them.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2018, 03:23:39 PM »
dgies

I remember asking my father in law if I would ever get over missing my Mom after she passed away and his response, "why would you want to?". There is not a day that goes by, without me thinking of both my parents, my father in law and brother in law that have passed away and everyday I think about "why would you want to?". As time has marched on, I still miss them, but thank God everyday that I still miss them.

Great post, Goose. I'm right there with you. I think about my parents every single day. And as your FIL said ... Why not? They were great people and great parents!

It's amazing how good we can help make our lives if we just have positive thoughts whenever possible.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson