[May 13, 2024, 07:04:22 PM]

Ben Gold's summer by Pakuni
[May 13, 2024, 05:58:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Pakuni
[May 13, 2024, 04:51:05 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by tower912
[May 13, 2024, 04:33:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Double Secret Probation  (Read 9789 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Double Secret Probation
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2012, 04:19:21 PM »
Best of both worlds: My circle of friends also had friends who were frat members. We got invited to all the good parties but didn't have to be in any frats.

Beyond that, I am appalled -- APPALLED, I tell you! -- that there is drinking going on at these frats.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2012, 05:45:01 PM »
Greek life is somewhat more popular at MU now compared to when I attended school 30 years ago.  While I was not in a fraternity and frankly knew few folks who were, my daughter has enjoyed her experience in one of MU's sorority.

What's really happening is that MU is (and needs to) increase its crack down on drinking.  It has gotten a bit out of hand.  Everyone understands that students enjoy a barley pop or three.  But kids getting hauled off to the hospital means the situation is a bit out of control.

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2012, 06:02:59 PM »
But kids getting hauled off to the hospital means the situation is a bit out of control.
Has this been alcohol poisoning or alcohol related incidents?

Steve Buscemi

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2012, 06:31:13 PM »
Greek life is somewhat more popular at MU now compared to when I attended school 30 years ago.  While I was not in a fraternity and frankly knew few folks who were, my daughter has enjoyed her experience in one of MU's sorority.

What's really happening is that MU is (and needs to) increase its crack down on drinking.  It has gotten a bit out of hand.  Everyone understands that students enjoy a barley pop or three.  But kids getting hauled off to the hospital means the situation is a bit out of control.

These days, frats and sororities are two completely different things at MU.  Don't really know much about sororities other than my belief that Alpha Phi recruits on looks and looks only.  And frat bros tend to be a little (to be nice) "bro-ey."  But I wouldn't say that there's a good number of either gender in greek life at MU. 

And I would also add that there's not a bunch of people getting carted off by ambulances, either... after the first weekend back.
"I work out twice a day, six days a week and on Sunday I go to church."  -John Dawson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2012, 07:43:02 PM »
I cannot believe that more kids are getting hauled off to the hospital now than there were back in the day.    If that is true, I can only think of two reasons.    1.   Greater awareness.   Back in the day, we would carry them to their beds and let them sleep it off.    2.   Because they don't drink as often, kids go to the extreme when they do. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2012, 08:08:31 PM »
I cannot believe that more kids are getting hauled off to the hospital now than there were back in the day.    If that is true, I can only think of two reasons.    1.   Greater awareness.   Back in the day, we would carry them to their beds and let them sleep it off.    2.   Because they don't drink as often, kids go to the extreme when they do. 

Or because they are just getting really, really, drunk...a lot.

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2012, 01:29:56 AM »
Does anyone know the percentage of MU that is Greek?  Doesn't seem like much.  Also if it's true that the Alpha Phi sorority picks girls solely based on looks then hopefully it wasn't the same in my day because woof that would be the biggest indictment of the female Marquette population I've ever heard.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2012, 06:51:53 AM »

When I attended in the early 2000s it was not popular at all.  There were a few cool parties a year, but a few guys from my dorm wing freshman year didn't seem like they got much out of it.

Also, the solution to stopping the drinking is not to remove bars.  That only changes the location where the drinking happens.  Plus, it isn't as if all the frat guys can't just go to house parties now.  Not to open a can of worms, but fighting drinking on campus is like trying to fight the war on drugs... totally hopeless, and a giant waste of resources.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2012, 07:46:36 AM »
Does anyone know the percentage of MU that is Greek?  Doesn't seem like much.  Also if it's true that the Alpha Phi sorority picks girls solely based on looks then hopefully it wasn't the same in my day because woof that would be the biggest indictment of the female Marquette population I've ever heard.

It's about 12% for girls and 7% for guys.

Perhaps it's just a coincidence, but it looks like a significant number of these chapters started within a few years of the drinking age in Wisconsin going from 18 to 21.

You can read all you want about Marquette Greek Life here:

http://www.marquette.edu/osd/greek/

BTW, all you fellas that think Marquette girls leave something to be desired in terms of attractiveness should check out the slide show in the upper right hand corner of the web page.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 08:06:26 AM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2012, 11:22:33 AM »
I think Frats are fine, as long as they don't dominate campus.

At MU, you don't have to be in a frat to have a good social life, so it's fine.

Some schools, you really need to pledge to have access to a lot of the nightlife, which is far too "bro-ey" for me.

Oh, and my one gripe with frats is that the Sig Eps used to stir up some trouble at the local watering holes. I'm all for a good bar fight, but there were several small, big mouthed brothers who knew they wouldn't be challenged because of the safety in numbers. Again, "bro-ey" or "bro-ish" if you will. Without the frat, those dudes would have gotten their faces caved in, imo.

Such is life.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2012, 12:25:58 PM »

Also, the solution to stopping the drinking is not to remove bars.  That only changes the location where the drinking happens.  Plus, it isn't as if all the frat guys can't just go to house parties now.  Not to open a can of worms, but fighting drinking on campus is like trying to fight the war on drugs... totally hopeless, and a giant waste of resources.

I agree with your first statement especially because 'bar drinking' has moved mostly to Water Street and points east.  The days when we easily walked (stumbled) home from Wells back to the dorms are long gone. 

My main concern is the off campus parties that have tended to get a bit out of control.  This is especially true in the early Fall when the Freshmen show up and houses will raise money for their living expenses by hosting underage 'red cup' parties.  I think the Frats are being made an example of as a warning to others.  Dial it down, boys. 

And lastly, alcohol awareness is not a waste of resources.  I'm confident that my underage daughter has had her share of beers.  What these kids need to have a better appreciation for is that 3-4 shouldn't evolve into 12.  That's when bad things really happen.  No parent wants that call.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2012, 06:02:35 PM »
Tribune, Frisbee, Rugby, etc throw similar functions to fraternities but never have any on the liabilities from the University. I think it so stupid that a fraternity can't hold a party because MU says so, but the Tribune (who are employees of the University) can have parties w/o registering or getting their club in trouble. It's all about the University worried about being PC. They see letters on your chest and hold you to a different standard.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2012, 07:35:33 PM »
Tribune, Frisbee, Rugby, etc throw similar functions to fraternities but never have any on the liabilities from the University. I think it so stupid that a fraternity can't hold a party because MU says so, but the Tribune (who are employees of the University) can have parties w/o registering or getting their club in trouble. It's all about the University worried about being PC. They see letters on your chest and hold you to a different standard.

yea but everyone knows that going into it. you put the target on yourself by wearing the letters. don't like it, don't wear them

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2012, 08:11:41 PM »

And one could argue that you would rather have students drinking in bars, where they have to pay per drink and in a controlled environment.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2012, 08:42:58 PM »

And one could argue that you would rather have students drinking in bars, where they have to pay per drink and in a controlled environment.

Can't believe how slim the bar options are now, even compared to when I was there (half a decade ago).

I'm out of WI now and I rarely make it back for games. Do alumni even bother coming back to campus to drink after games?

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2012, 08:50:57 PM »

yea but everyone knows that going into it. you put the target on yourself by wearing the letters. don't like it, don't wear them

So joining a fraternity because you want the brotherhood means OSD has the right over whether or not 4 or more of you can go out on a friday night? If you want to plan a bar crawl even if has nothing to do with the fraternity and even if other people are invited, they still count it as a fraternity social event and you aren't allowed to work out drink discounts and have to register it, which they probably would deny. The amount of paperwork is a joke and any action of 1 of the 80 members is counted against the whole fraternity. I understand the rule if the fraternity is hosting the 'event' or if funds are used towards it, but they go overboards when it comes to fraternity members as students.

As someone stated earlier, MU is nice because you can be in a fraternity and not worry about it taking over your life. I wish OSD would apply the same attitude.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2012, 09:00:00 PM »
As someone stated earlier, MU is nice because you can be in a fraternity and not worry about it taking over your life. I wish OSD would apply the same attitude.

Frats are the way they are at Marquette BECAUSE of things like how OSD approaches them.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2012, 09:16:08 PM »
It's about 12% for girls and 7% for guys.

Perhaps it's just a coincidence, but it looks like a significant number of these chapters started within a few years of the drinking age in Wisconsin going from 18 to 21.

You can read all you want about Marquette Greek Life here:

http://www.marquette.edu/osd/greek/

BTW, all you fellas that think Marquette girls leave something to be desired in terms of attractiveness should check out the slide show in the upper right hand corner of the web page.

methinks you have an unhealthy obsession.

Those girls are average at best.  A few lookers, but overall simply average.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2012, 09:17:40 PM »
I agree with your first statement especially because 'bar drinking' has moved mostly to Water Street and points east.  The days when we easily walked (stumbled) home from Wells back to the dorms are long gone. 

My main concern is the off campus parties that have tended to get a bit out of control.  This is especially true in the early Fall when the Freshmen show up and houses will raise money for their living expenses by hosting underage 'red cup' parties.  I think the Frats are being made an example of as a warning to others.  Dial it down, boys. 

And lastly, alcohol awareness is not a waste of resources.  I'm confident that my underage daughter has had her share of beers.  What these kids need to have a better appreciation for is that 3-4 shouldn't evolve into 12.  That's when bad things really happen.  No parent wants that call.

12 beers was a good start... anyone who gets poisoned off of 12 beers should pack it in and go home.

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2012, 09:20:51 PM »
Frats are the way they are at Marquette BECAUSE of things like how OSD approaches them.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this, but if you mean that they are utterly neutered because of hyper regulation, then yes I agree that they are the way they are because of how OSD 'approaches' them.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2012, 09:33:26 PM »
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this, but if you mean that they are utterly neutered because of hyper regulation, then yes I agree that they are the way they are because of how OSD 'approaches' them.

Thats basically what I meant. And it seems many here have voiced that MU as a whole is better off for it. Greek participation is pretty low, and it doesn't hurt ones social life whatsoever if they don't go greek. Beyond that, even Greeks have mentioned that they liked the way it didnt entirely consume their lives. That wouldnt be the case if frats and sororities weren't so reigned in.

If you (royal you) knew you that you wanted greek life to define your college experience, Marquette makes no bones about it - MU probably isnt the school for you. I personally didnt understand the appeal of frats at a place like MU as contrasted with a Big Ten school etc. But if thats your bag, whatever. But as a non-greek that wouldn't want the greek presence to be any larger than it already was, I appreciate the OSD modus operandi on frats.

Tommy Brice for Coach

• Team Captain
  • Tommy Brice is my hero
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2012, 09:55:13 PM »

+1000000

Some of the rules are absolutely crazy. How can you expect an organization to follow rules that dictate every single time more than four fraternity members are together it is an "event" and must be registered with OSD? MU has been trying to strangle the Greek scene for years, they finally got their chance.

What I don't understand is why they would do it. All MU just did (beyond pissing off some of their Greek students) is make the alums who were Greek not feel wanted my their university. I wouldn't give money to MU right now. They are trying to eliminate the organization that I felt defined a large part of my college experience.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2012, 11:57:22 PM »
+1000000

Some of the rules are absolutely crazy. How can you expect an organization to follow rules that dictate every single time more than four fraternity members are together it is an "event" and must be registered with OSD? MU has been trying to strangle the Greek scene for years, they finally got their chance.

What I don't understand is why they would do it. All MU just did (beyond pissing off some of their Greek students) is make the alums who were Greek not feel wanted my their university. I wouldn't give money to MU right now. They are trying to eliminate the organization that I felt defined a large part of my college experience.
Funny thing is I got a request for a donation today in the mail and I immediately thought of this and OSD.

What is worse is that OSD's rules conflicted with National fraternity rules a lot of the time. ie One said BYOB only, the other said no BYOB.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2012, 08:10:13 AM »
12 beers was a good start... anyone who gets poisoned off of 12 beers should pack it in and go home.

I take it, then, that you would have no problem with your daughter chugging 12 beers at a frat house full of drunk, horny boys.
Have some patience, FFS.

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2012, 09:18:11 AM »
Thats basically what I meant. And it seems many here have voiced that MU as a whole is better off for it. Greek participation is pretty low, and it doesn't hurt ones social life whatsoever if they don't go greek. Beyond that, even Greeks have mentioned that they liked the way it didnt entirely consume their lives. That wouldnt be the case if frats and sororities weren't so reigned in.

If you (royal you) knew you that you wanted greek life to define your college experience, Marquette makes no bones about it - MU probably isnt the school for you. I personally didnt understand the appeal of frats at a place like MU as contrasted with a Big Ten school etc. But if thats your bag, whatever. But as a non-greek that wouldn't want the greek presence to be any larger than it already was, I appreciate the OSD modus operandi on frats.

In my opinion, the Greek system is really nothing more than a utility for the administration, by this point. They serve the function of finding forced "volunteers" for university functions and off-campus service events. They are a way for the university to market itself to the community. When they perform their new function well of facilitating the school's interest in service activity, they are thanked and rewarded. When they try to perform their traditional role as campus social organizers, they are shut down.

I don't know how things like this operate at other schools, or the public schools, but Marquette has really mastered the ability to whip the campus fraternities/sororities into their own servants. At least, that was my perception during the one year I was a member of the Greek system. I think we only had one, OSD-regulated "social" event the entire year I was in it. (For the record, it wasn't one of the groups that just went on probation.)