Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 01:42:55 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by lawdog77
[Today at 01:25:20 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[Today at 11:39:44 AM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MU82
[May 20, 2024, 10:14:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: I Don't Need Five Years To Judge, I Was Wrong About Shaka  (Read 3429 times)

Not A Serious Person

• All American
I Don't Need Five Years To Judge, I Was Wrong About Shaka
« on: February 03, 2022, 08:51:23 AM »
When Shaka was hired, I looked at his Texas record and saw a middling B12 team.  They had their moments (winning the B12 Tourney) but also their disappointments.  So I was not against hiring him, I was worried he was not an upgrade to Wojo or a marginal upgrade at best. So, did the program actually improve, I said out loud on this board?

I was wrong, he is a major upgrade, I do not have to wait another 4 1/2 years to make this statement.

Never been happier to be wrong ...

I base this on more than the record to date, although that is a big part of it.  So, even if the team bombs out at the end of the season like MU did at the end of 2019, I will still believe he is a major upgrade.

--------------------------------------

For a team preseason that was predicted to finish 9th in the Big East and I would have been happy with a .500 record ...

MU .... NET 25, KenPom, 26, AP 24

SoS currently #8 in the country, can be in the top 3 at the end of the season

MU's Quad 1 record is 7-5, this ties them for the most Quad 1 wins in the country, and having played 12 Quad 1 games, this is more than any team in the top 30 (as far down as I looked).  MU has another Quad 1 game next (Uconn).

Six wins against ranked teams this year is a school record. They have more games against ranked teams, including the next game.

BE standings this morning
(top 4)

1. Prov 9-1 (loss to MU)
2. Nova 9-3 (2 of 3 losses to MU)
3. MU 8-4
3. Uconn 6-3 (MU plays next)

Eyeball test ... This team plays good defense!  I see smart decisions.  I see team basketball, not hero ball.  And most importantly, I see a young team doing all this. 

Finally they are a joy to watch.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 08:55:01 AM by Heisenberg v2.0 »
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: I Don't Need Five Years To Judge, I Was Wrong About Shaka
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2022, 08:58:55 AM »
SoS will go down from here,  not up.

I'm very excited about what Shaka has done, but one year isn't enough, he has to build on this success. The goal is a return to blue blood status,  not to be a fart in the wind.  Like your signature Heisy, we are in the Empire business,  season 1 is just a first step.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

ZiggysChestHair

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2022, 09:13:20 AM »

I'm very excited about what Shaka has done, but one year isn't enough, he has to build on this success. The goal is a return to blue blood status,  not to be a fart in the wind.  Like your signature Heisy, we are in the Empire business,  season 1 is just a first step.

No matter how much success, I'm not sure they are handing out "blue blood" passes to Marquette or anyone else anytime soon.  Might want to have more realistic expectations so you can enjoy the ride (that certainly could include Conference Championships, Final 4s, and even National Championships without being declared a Blue Blood).

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2022, 09:18:16 AM »
Shaka is definitely promoting the school and the team.  I am sure recruits are seeing what is going on, it will be interesting the next 2 years with very few scholarships to offer how he uses them.  It will also be interesting to see how many kids move on.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2022, 09:19:05 AM »
No matter how much success, I'm not sure they are handing out "blue blood" passes to Marquette or anyone else anytime soon.  Might want to have more realistic expectations so you can enjoy the ride (that certainly could include Conference Championships, Final 4s, and even National Championships without being declared a Blue Blood).

I'm all about enjoying the ride, trust me. It is possible to have a high long-term expectations and enjoy the process of getting there.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2022, 09:24:26 AM »
Shaka is definitely promoting the school and the team.  I am sure recruits are seeing what is going on, it will be interesting the next 2 years with very few scholarships to offer how he uses them.  It will also be interesting to see how many kids move on.

I mean I think that's one of the most impressive things of all - deep into the BE season and 9 guys are averaging 10+ minutes a game - while 10 guys have appeared in pretty much every game. Only Ellis is riding consistent pine, but I doubt Shaka blew smoke up is a$$ about PT.

Maybe we get some transfers, but if Kueth, Morsell and Elliot moving on  that's another 65 minutes per game to dole out next year.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

VanderBlueFanClub

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2022, 09:26:51 AM »
"Eyeball test ... This team plays good defense!  I see smart decisions.  I see team basketball, not hero ball.  And most importantly, I see a young team doing all this." Yeah and when we play hero ball, we lose. Example: St. Bonnies.
2016-2017 G-League MVP - Vander Blue

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2022, 09:32:09 AM »
I mean I think that's one of the most impressive things of all - deep into the BE season and 9 guys are averaging 10+ minutes a game - while 10 guys have appeared in pretty much every game. Only Ellis is riding consistent pine, but I doubt Shaka blew smoke up is a$$ about PT.

Maybe we get some transfers, but if Kueth, Morsell and Elliot moving on  that's another 65 minutes per game to dole out next year.

Yep.  The playing time distribution is impressive especially because it continues during conference season during our most crucial stretch of games. I can’t see players wanting to leave knowing they are in line for more playing time on a team that should go to the tournament every year for the foreseeable future.  Player retention should not be a problem. 

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2022, 01:16:15 PM »

I have no concerns with Shaka and think he was always the right guy for the job.  If it was someone else, I think you need the 5 years to judge because.
1. The best players are the previous regimes recruits
2. The best incoming recruit under him is a one year rental.
3. Good chance we lose our two best players next year.
4.  We haven’t experience the transfer window yet.

Pepe Sylvia

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2022, 01:18:49 PM »
"Eyeball test ... This team plays good defense!  I see smart decisions.  I see team basketball, not hero ball.  And most importantly, I see a young team doing all this." Yeah and when we play hero ball, we lose. Example: St. Bonnies.

I dunno man, Morsell was playing hero ball in a crucial stretch last night and it turned out ok.
twitterx: @HBOCEOofTits

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2022, 01:20:45 PM »

And the reason he goes nine deep is that they are all prepared when they enter the game.  Sure a player can have a bad game or the freshmen can still make dumb mistakes, but Stevie Mitchell, Kam Jones and David Joplin look like they belong.  We haven't seen much of Ellis lately but he looks the same.

I don't think I have seen a group of freshmen make less dumb freshmen mistakes than this group.  They're heads are not swimming.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Goose

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2022, 01:21:25 PM »
This is building a foundation for bigger, sustained success in the future. We will judge Shaka in five years, but in far different manner than the five year expectation review we were used to. This review will be judged on number on NCAA wins.

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2022, 01:21:58 PM »
I dunno man, Morsell was playing hero ball in a crucial stretch last night and it turned out ok.

IMO, that's not "hero ball."  That was a veteran taking advantage of a mismatch and forcing the coach to make a change.

When I hear "hero ball" I think of dumb shots outside the flow of the offense.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2022, 01:29:55 PM »
I have no concerns with Shaka and think he was always the right guy for the job.  If it was someone else, I think you need the 5 years to judge because.
1. The best players are the previous regimes recruits
2. The best incoming recruit under him is a one year rental.
3. Good chance we lose our two best players next year.
4.  We haven’t experience the transfer window yet.

1)  If you look at the 3 "best" as in most important players on the team, 1 is Lewis (Wojo), the other 2 are Morsell and Kolek, both Shaka.

2) Sure but he also has Kolek and O Max who have huge potential and upside, in addition to playing very well now.

3) Sure

4)  Depends on the definition, Shaka lost a couple very good players who could have stayed to the window, and also brought in some good transfers.   So technically he's one window in.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2022, 01:34:50 PM »

IMO, that's not "hero ball."  That was a veteran taking advantage of a mismatch and forcing the coach to make a change.

I dunno, that really wasn’t within the flow of Marquette’s usual offense.

That was some 90s NBA play (nothing wrong with it!) from Morsell. Bigger guard posting up.

panda

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2022, 01:39:37 PM »
I dunno, that really wasn’t within the flow of Marquette’s usual offense.

That was some 90s NBA play (nothing wrong with it!) from Morsell. Bigger guard posting up.

He got three good looks. I would hear an argument on how the last shot was somewhat forced, but you gotta let him take that after the previous two possessions.

Pepe Sylvia

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2022, 01:44:58 PM »

Well, that's not what Hero Ball is. It often looks like that, but when 1 player goes iso for long 2s a bunch of possessions in a row, I don't know how that isn't hero ball. If they go in, you're a hero. That's why its called hero ball.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2022, 01:52:15 PM »
Well, that's not what Hero Ball is. It often looks like that, but when 1 player goes iso for long 2s a bunch of possessions in a row, I don't know how that isn't hero ball. If they go in, you're a hero. That's why its called hero ball.

Your understanding of why it's called "hero ball" differs from mine. I've always understood it to mean when someone is going outside the flow of the offense in an attempt to be the hero. In fact, in my experience it's far more common to hear it referred to as "hero ball" when the shots don't go in.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2022, 01:52:45 PM »

Pull up long twos aren't a problem if that's your gig.  It is definitely in his wheelhouse.

Your understanding of why it's called "hero ball" differs from mine. I've always understood it to mean when someone is going outside the flow of the offense in an attempt to be the hero. In fact, in my experience it's far more common to hear it referred to as "hero ball" when the shots don't go in.

Yep.

Pepe Sylvia

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2022, 02:06:21 PM »
Pull up long twos aren't a problem if that's your gig.  It is definitely in his wheelhouse.

Yep.
Hey guys I just have process oriented thinking. Don't like seeing my team jack a bunch of long contested 2s, whether they go in or not. But if he's just gonna transform into Jordan incarnate, hell yeah take those js. Doesn't mean its not hero ball, and if he missed those shots that's definitely what we all would have called it.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2022, 02:15:33 PM »
Hey guys I just have process oriented thinking. Don't like seeing my team jack a bunch of long contested 2s, whether they go in or not. But if he's just gonna transform into Jordan incarnate, hell yeah take those js. Doesn't mean its not hero ball, and if he missed those shots that's definitely what we all would have called it.

The heat maps where Darryl makes his shots show that these shots are  good shots for him. Shaka knows that is a higher percentage shot for him too. Not really here to debate the meaning of "hero ball"--just saying that's a pretty high percentage shot and one the staff wants him to take if available.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2022, 02:17:35 PM »
Shaka appears to be the real deal.  One hellava coach.

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2022, 02:28:20 PM »
The heat maps where Darryl makes his shots show that these shots are  good shots for him. Shaka knows that is a higher percentage shot for him too. Not really here to debate the meaning of "hero ball"--just saying that's a pretty high percentage shot and one the staff wants him to take if available.

Yep.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2022, 02:30:49 PM »
It is good that we have a 5th year player who can take charge and get a bucket when we badly need one.

YaBlueIt

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2022, 02:51:28 PM »

Noteworthy that Shaka said postgame that Morsell went out and won them the game during that stretch.

I don't think it's a coincidence that it all came after he was on the bench for a significant amount of time following poor play in the first half, nor that the timing of his return was when Marquette looked completely lost on offense and the game was down to one possession. I'm not smart enough to understand whether he was exploiting something in Nova's D, but I do know a veteran stepping up in crunch time and taking over the game when I see one. Who cares if it's hero ball or not? Sometimes it's needed when nothing else is going.

Shaka was sending a message to Morsell by putting him back in the game when he did. And Morsell responded.

feedback