[Today at 01:04:50 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by Hards Alumni
[Today at 09:57:34 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by warriorchick
[May 18, 2024, 07:14:15 PM]

Home and Home with Maryland by WhiteTrash
[May 18, 2024, 01:04:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Unlucky with our non-conference cupcakes...  (Read 9117 times)

wardle2wade

• All American
Unlucky with our non-conference cupcakes...
« on: January 31, 2014, 12:56:39 PM »
We can all agree MU probably played one of our hardest non-conference schedule in many years.  However, according to espn's RPI, MU had the 162nd hardest non-conference SOS out of 351 teams.

Unfortunately, five of our cupcakes turned out to be really terrible which dragged it down... Grambling (349), NH (344), IUPUI (306), Samford (307), and Ball State (285).  Last year, our worst was UMBC (301) and fifth worst was Savannah State (167).

I have to imagine these five awful cupcakes bring our RPI down at least 10 spots.

Anyone smart (Henry Sugar?) easily able to extrapolate or guess what MU's rpi would be if these five teams would have been in the 200-250 range?

Disclaimers...
- I understand we're still 4 straight wins from being near the bubble... I'm just curious what effect this has.  
- I realize it's hard to know in advance who the truly worst cupcakes in D1 will be.
- I prefer kenpom, but it seems RPI is still what drives the media/committee.

wardle2wade

• All American
Re: Unlucky with our non-conference cupcakes...
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 12:20:10 AM »
Since we're nearing the bubble I thought I'd bump this for feedback.  Anybody know the answer? There are teams with similar records against weaker competition who have significantly better rpi. 

Also, maybe it's just me, but kenpom doesnt seem to penalize MU for these as much as rpi.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 12:26:55 AM »
Yeah it's a shame.

But we are not 4 straight wins from being "near" the bubble.

If god forbid we rattle off Xavier, Creighton, DePaul and Gtown. We will be currently in the field much less "near" the bubble.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

ronald dragon

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 12:30:16 AM »
But we are not 4 straight wins from being "near" the bubble.
We were in that position when he posted this in January.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 12:31:52 AM »
Sh it....missed that lol

MY BAD.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

wardle2wade

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 12:45:21 AM »
Yeah, I should have pointed that out it's an old post.  I originally posted this prior to the St Johns game to a chorus of crickets.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 01:22:35 AM »
Yup we were unlucky but we wouldn't have that take if MU was able to steal 2-3 wins.
SS Marquette

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 06:29:25 AM »
Since we're nearing the bubble I thought I'd bump this for feedback.  Anybody know the answer? There are teams with similar records against weaker competition who have significantly better rpi. 

Also, maybe it's just me, but kenpom doesnt seem to penalize MU for these as much as rpi.
Sorry, 14-10 is not "nearing" the bubble. Sorry for bursting your. We will need at least two or three quality wins, and right now, we have none.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

murara1994

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 06:41:43 AM »
Sorry, 14-10 is not "nearing" the bubble. Sorry for bursting your. We will need at least two or three quality wins, and right now, we have none.

Yeah , it is .  Maybe you should check the facts instead of just being a jerk all the time.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 06:45:48 AM »

George Washington has an RPI of 28 = quality win.

How upside down is the world when beating GW (from DC) is a quality win but beating Georgetown in DC is not!!

chapman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2014, 07:48:26 AM »
Think we knew for the most part that our cupcakes were poor choices this year.  Guess the thought was some wins against quality teams in non-conference play would more than make up for them.  Now we're left with six wins with 290+ RPIs (one being Fullerton, which wasn't our fault), where St. John's has one and Georgetown's "worst" win is 251.  Hope a different strategy is used to select cupcakes next year.  They've been strong the past few years before this one, but we went the super cheap route this year with the worst of the worst.  With the TV deal, tournament shares, and solid attendance I don't think we need to pretend we're in the poor house and bring in Grambling again, a team that came several games away from filling up its schedule because most contending teams had the sense to stay away.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2014, 08:28:03 AM »
Yeah , it is .  Maybe you should check the facts instead of just being a jerk all the time.
What facts are those Sunshine, aside from your "expert" opinion? And speaking of facts, you have none. How about this fact: when somebody disagrees with your opinion, the namecalling starts, because you have no facts. Just the facts Ma'm. Ah yes, always the name calling, rara.

wardle2wade

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2014, 08:36:01 AM »
What facts are those Sunshine, aside from your "expert" opinion? And speaking of facts, you have none. How about this fact: when somebody disagrees with your opinion, the namecalling starts, because you have no facts. Just the facts Ma'm. Ah yes, always the name calling, rara.

Since Willie loves hyperbole, it's worth noting he couldn't have a meaningful discussion to save his life.  His negativity is second to no one.  Here's to never hearing the word slurper again... Ignored.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2014, 08:49:36 AM »

Fact: We already have one quality win, possibly 2 if Gtown keeps trending the right way.

Fact: We are, by your definition, 1-2 quality wins away from being in or on the bubble.

Fact: We play somewhere around 5-7 teams that currently are or have the possibility to be quality wins.

Fact: Willie refuses to acknowledge any of these facts because he'd rather be crotchety and bemoan about all these lemons he has.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2014, 08:52:16 AM »

Beating Xavier will put MU right in the thick of the bubble talk.  Take a look at the teams Lunardi and Palm has on the bubble, MU will be right there with them with a win on Saturday.

Beating Xavier and Creighton, could possibly put them "in" in a lot of bracket projections.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2014, 12:46:54 PM »

Willie....several bracketolgy experts, including Joey Brackets have us as a bubble team. We are somewhere between 10-15 teams from being in the tournament.

Sorry, the facts are against you in this one.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2014, 12:53:15 PM »
Willie....several bracketolgy experts, including Joey Brackets have us as a bubble team. We are somewhere between 10-15 teams from being in the tournament.

Sorry, the facts are against you in this one.
Hmmm.. "somewhere between 10-15 teams from being in the tournament". So does somewhere between 20 and 30 teams qualify as "being near the bubble"? Hell, why not between 30 and 50? These are not facts--they are pure speculation.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2014, 12:54:53 PM »

In 2010-2011 we were 15-10 on February 13th... One win away from our record now and we were on the bubble.  Sorry to burst your bubble but we're are a bubble team.  (I crack myself up)
Maigh Eo for Sam

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2014, 12:58:31 PM »
In 2010-2011 we were 15-10 on February 13th... One win away from our record now and we were on the bubble.  Sorry to burst your bubble but we're are a bubble team.  (I crack myself up)

True, but that was a different Big East.

If we beat X and Creighton, we are on our way

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2014, 01:41:34 PM »
Hmmm.. "somewhere between 10-15 teams from being in the tournament". So does somewhere between 20 and 30 teams qualify as "being near the bubble"? Hell, why not between 30 and 50? These are not facts--they are pure speculation.

The bubble is any team that still has a reasonable chance of earning an at large bid. So if we are say 11 teams out (which is what Joey Brackets has us as), then it is reasonable to assume that we could earn an at large bid. If all we have to do is go 5-2 the rest of the way...it is reasonable to assume that we can still earn an at large bid.

Ergo, we are on the bubble.

I don't always agree with you "anti-slurper" mentality but I can appreciate it. This instance, I don't understand. Bracketology experts are calling us a bubble team. Our coach calls us a bubble team. Most fans think we are a bubble team. By definition, we are a bubble team. I'm not sure why you are fighting so hard to have us labeled as not a bubble team?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2014, 01:47:40 PM »
Who is this 'willie'?   It has been my experience that just about any time I listen to my 'willie', it ends poorly. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2014, 02:30:47 PM »
Since Willie loves hyperbole, it's worth noting he couldn't have a meaningful discussion to save his life.  His negativity is second to no one.  Here's to never hearing the word slurper again... Ignored.

Congrats, and welcome to the club. It has made my Scoop experience much more pleasant.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2014, 02:52:31 PM »

You should read slower.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2014, 03:01:16 PM »
The bubble is any team that still has a reasonable chance of earning an at large bid. So if we are say 11 teams out (which is what Joey Brackets has us as), then it is reasonable to assume that we could earn an at large bid. If all we have to do is go 5-2 the rest of the way...it is reasonable to assume that we can still earn an at large bid.

Ergo, we are on the bubble.

I don't always agree with you "anti-slurper" mentality but I can appreciate it. This instance, I don't understand. Bracketology experts are calling us a bubble team. Our coach calls us a bubble team. Most fans think we are a bubble team. By definition, we are a bubble team. I'm not sure why you are fighting so hard to have us labeled as not a bubble team?
OK, 14-10 makes us a bubble team. The original post said we were nearing it. But with your logic, I will concede we are a bubble team. Don't know how many 14-10 or 15-9 or 16-8 teams are out there, so I guess if there are about 50 or so, then  about half are bubble teams. We are on the bubble, with about 25 others. or maybe 30. That is still a lot of teams. So to make all happy, we are a bubble team. Woo Hoo!

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2014, 03:26:29 PM »
OK, 14-10 makes us a bubble team. The original post said we were nearing it. But with your logic, I will concede we are a bubble team. Don't know how many 14-10 or 15-9 or 16-8 teams are out there, so I guess if there are about 50 or so, then  about half are bubble teams. We are on the bubble, with about 25 others. or maybe 30. That is still a lot of teams. So to make all happy, we are a bubble team. Woo Hoo!

Making up numbers to prove your point is super fun.