Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Illinois Job Better Than Marquette?  (Read 18029 times)

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
Re: Illinois Job Better Than Marquette?
« Reply #75 on: February 19, 2012, 12:36:35 PM »
Usual suspects.  Brad Stevens (doubtful, because he's taking Crean's job any second now), Shaka Smart, Kevin Stallings, Anthony Grant, <FILL IN HOT COACH FROM NCAA TOURNAMENT>

Weber should have taken the Oklahoma job last year when they were pursuing him.  Hindsight is 20-20.

Stallings would be ideal for UI.
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

🏀

• All American
« Reply #76 on: February 19, 2012, 12:55:21 PM »
Usual suspects.  Brad Stevens (doubtful, because he's taking Crean's job any second now), Shaka Smart, Kevin Stallings, Anthony Grant, <FILL IN HOT COACH FROM NCAA TOURNAMENT>

Weber should have taken the Oklahoma job last year when they were pursuing him.  Hindsight is 20-20.

Stallings would be ideal for UI.
[/quote

You know the B1G better than most. Does Weber's relationship with Stallings hurt UI's chances? I think Stevens is out of Illinois' league.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #77 on: February 19, 2012, 01:11:31 PM »
What did I ignore?

The shoe affiliation! My bad. If you don't think that AAU programs/shoe affiliations don't mean anything then you need to pay closer attention. The fact that we are Jordan, with our jersey designs, are a big deal for recruiting.

It's funny how big the Marquette jersey have become. In the latest Eastbay catalogue they were the only team whose shorts could be bought in 3 different colors, baby blues, gold and white.
We Are Marquette

boyonthedock

« Reply #78 on: February 19, 2012, 04:37:06 PM »
you can't buy the regular blues? those are sharp too

🏀

• All American
« Reply #79 on: February 19, 2012, 04:54:25 PM »
It's funny how big the Marquette jersey have become. In the latest Eastbay catalogue they were the only team whose shorts could be bought in 3 different colors, baby blues, gold and white.

It's huge, and shouldn't be underestimated.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #80 on: February 19, 2012, 04:55:39 PM »
Rah, they're exclusive.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #81 on: February 19, 2012, 05:36:11 PM »
Why would anyone start such a stupid topic like this????

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #82 on: February 19, 2012, 05:58:55 PM »
Why would anyone start such a stupid topic like this????

Because over the next 3 months we will be inundated by countless talking heads mentioning Buzz on the short list of various "high profile" jobs.  Thus undoubtedly will be one of them.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

MU82

• All American
« Reply #83 on: February 19, 2012, 10:27:09 PM »
Weber is not a great recruiter. Illinois has a young assistant named Jerrance Howard (a rarely-used player on the 2005 national finalist team) whom recruits LOVE. For years, Illinois had trouble recruiting Chicago until Self arrived. Then had trouble again until Howard became an assistant. Never underestimate the recruiting power of such an assistant; Illinois would be in trouble talent-wise if he left.

As for which job is "better," they both are very good. I generally agree with the post about someone with a choice probably would go Illinois but someone already having success at MU likely wouldn't leave for Illinois. But that's mostly a guess. A good guess, but a guess nonetheless.

And as another poster said, Chicago is NOT a college basketball town. It is a pro basketball town first and a prep basketball town second.

Yes, maybe if a. Northwestern were good and if b. DePaul had an on-campus arena ... but a. it never has been and b. it doesn't and won't any time soon (if ever).

The Big Ten moved its tournament permanently out of Chicago because Indy becomes all about college hoops that week while Chicago barely even noticed the tournament was in town.

Even when the Bulls sucked between the Jordan and Rose eras, they sold an amazing amount of tickets. DePaul had trouble filling the Allstate Mausoleum even when Quentin Richardson and Bobby Simmons were there.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TJ

• All American
« Reply #84 on: February 20, 2012, 01:23:03 AM »
Holmes and Lawrence both agreed that if the Bradley Center were owned by Marquette and on-campus, Marquette would instantly be out of the jumble.
Just wondering - why would moving the Bradley Center 6 blocks and changing the owner make a difference to a prospective coach?  I personally like the BC, but the argument presented above doesn't seem to be to change it in any way, just move it.  There's no way the BC is any further from most MU students than Assembly Hall is to most Illinois students.  How does school ownership change anything?  I guess there would be more opportunity for more Saturday night games, but if they're going to be on an ESPN channel games pretty much have to be in the afternoon anyway.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #85 on: February 20, 2012, 06:58:55 AM »
Just wondering - why would moving the Bradley Center 6 blocks and changing the owner make a difference to a prospective coach?  I personally like the BC, but the argument presented above doesn't seem to be to change it in any way, just move it.  There's no way the BC is any further from most MU students than Assembly Hall is to most Illinois students.  How does school ownership change anything?  I guess there would be more opportunity for more Saturday night games, but if they're going to be on an ESPN channel games pretty much have to be in the afternoon anyway.

First, they could practice in the arena they play in more often. And while it may seem odd, I think an on-campus arena would help with student section attendance. It's the perspective that you're just going across campus rather than walking downtown.

Regardless, MU is a better job. Less pressure than carrying the state name, flagship athletic program of the university, and no taxpayers to answer to when it comes to salary. Milwaukee also has much more to offer as a destination to recruits than Champaign.

This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #86 on: February 20, 2012, 09:52:55 AM »

In addition to what BrewCity said, Marquette would be cashing in higher revenues. Marquette would also have complete control over the branding of the stadium and make it Marquette first and foremost. Locker rooms would be much nicer for Marquette, etc...

TJ

• All American
« Reply #87 on: February 20, 2012, 10:12:10 AM »
In addition to what BrewCity said, Marquette would be cashing in higher revenues. Marquette would also have complete control over the branding of the stadium and make it Marquette first and foremost. Locker rooms would be much nicer for Marquette, etc...
What does the coach care about higher revenues?  His paycheck is coming each week and he and his players have everything they need to succeed.  I've never seen the locker rooms so I guess it's possible they could be improved.  The Bucks banners from the '70s annoy me as much as the next guy, but is it that big a deal?  Especially in terms of the way coaches look at the job?

Also, are we sure MU owning a BC sized arena would really bring in higher revenues without the Bucks and Admirals bringing in their share?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #88 on: February 20, 2012, 10:21:22 AM »
What does the coach care about higher revenues?  His paycheck is coming each week and he and his players have everything they need to succeed.  I've never seen the locker rooms so I guess it's possible they could be improved.  The Bucks banners from the '70s annoy me as much as the next guy, but is it that big a deal?  Especially in terms of the way coaches look at the job?

Also, are we sure MU owning a BC sized arena would really bring in higher revenues without the Bucks and Admirals bringing in their share?

A coach's main concern should be about the amount of money is that being generated and allocated to his department. His salary is a drop in the bucket compared to traveling expenses, recruiting expenses, assistant coaches salaries, department resources, updating of facilities etc... HUGE part of what a coach should be looking at.

If Marquette owned the Bradley Center, who says the Bucks or Admirals wouldn't be still there? It was speculated that the Bradley Center was offered to Marquette several years ago at an very low price tag, but the University passed.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #89 on: February 20, 2012, 10:30:09 AM »

Actually, a MU arena would much more likely be a black hole sucking dollars out of the school's coffers.
Arenas are notoriously difficult to keep out of the red, and many (like the Bradley Center) rely on taxpayer money to stay afloat. The BC barely is in the black  - again, thanks to government funding - and that's with the Bucks, Admirals, MU, concerts and numerous other events. A Marquette-only arena that could count on about 20 men's games and a handful of concerts would struggle mightily. And I doubt very much MU could count on money from the state or city to bail it out.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #90 on: February 20, 2012, 10:35:33 AM »
Actually, a MU arena would much more likely be a black hole sucking dollars out of the school's coffers.
Arenas are notoriously difficult to keep out of the red, and many (like the Bradley Center) rely on taxpayer money to stay afloat. The BC barely is in the black  - again, thanks to government funding - and that's with the Bucks, Admirals, MU, concerts and numerous other events. A Marquette-only arena that could count on about 20 men's games and a handful of concerts would struggle mightily. And I doubt very much MU could count on money from the state or city to bail it out.

The only way they could have had an arena is if they built it instead of the Al.  That way you could hold practices there...student rec events...concerts...whatever.  With the Al already around, it would be a pretty huge waste unless some donor stepped up and covered the whole thing.

To put the money into perspective, the Al cost about $30 million.  The 10,000 seat Chaifetz Arena at St. Louis University cost about $80 million.  In order to get the capacity up even a little higher, you are talking a $100 million investment.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #91 on: February 20, 2012, 12:17:34 PM »
...and then you are talking about a football level of investment.    ::)
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #92 on: February 20, 2012, 02:58:14 PM »
The Bucks banners from the '70s annoy me as much as the next guy, but is it that big a deal?  

It was pretty amusing seeing the Hartford Whalers banners hanging from the rafters during the UCONN game on Saturday.  At least that is what I think I saw on TV.  They have been gone for 15 years now.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #93 on: February 20, 2012, 03:03:34 PM »
It was pretty amusing seeing the Hartford Whalers banners hanging from the rafters during the UCONN game on Saturday.  At least that is what I think I saw on TV.  They have been gone for 15 years now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:HartfordWhalersBanners.jpg

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #94 on: February 20, 2012, 03:06:15 PM »

Hartford, the Whate, they beat Vancouver once, maybe twice in a liftetime.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #95 on: February 20, 2012, 03:07:19 PM »
The answer to the question is a big "No".

feedback