[May 15, 2024, 06:12:27 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 6 Marquette players ticketed for being in a night club  (Read 29310 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: 6 Marquette players ticketed for being in a night club
« Reply #75 on: March 20, 2012, 12:54:53 PM »
Sultan, you have to admit that NOT pointing out that there are no allegations of actual underage drinking is pretty biased journalism.

They also failed to point out that there are no allegations of sexual assault....or beastiality....or random gunplay....

They must be REALLY biased.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #76 on: March 20, 2012, 12:56:15 PM »
Sultan, I tend to overreact and then come back to even keel on this kind of stuff and I think you tend to start centered.  However I think you have to admit there is some shady journalism in this.  It may be a reflection of the times we live in, report first, accuracy later, but I don't know.  Regardless of it being a bias or simply a new way of media working, can you at least see there is reason to object and push back on the reporting?  You have no issue with the way this was reported or the timing?

None.  He reported facts when he found out about them.  Would I have preferred that the incident not occurred or it simply not be reported?  Yes.  However, I am not going to attack the messenger.

Albert Gator

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #77 on: March 20, 2012, 12:57:41 PM »
Your team has been in the news for off the court incidents often in the last year.  Rape or something?  I remember reading it but cannot recall the outcome.  What is going on up there in Milwaukee?

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #78 on: March 20, 2012, 12:59:51 PM »
6 members of a college team were ticketed.  Regardless of where you rank the event, the local newspaper will cover it.  (We all know each and every one of Kevin Gullickson's escapades.  Does the WSJ hate UW?)    And an editor will assign someone to write about it, so stop blaming Don Walker who is probably just happy to have another column so he can pay his mortgage. If you don't want MJS to report on MU players being in bars underage, tell MU players to stay out of bars.  
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #79 on: March 20, 2012, 01:00:07 PM »
Your team has been in the news for off the court incidents often in the last year.  Rape or something?  I remember reading it but cannot recall the outcome.  What is going on up there in Milwaukee?

Trolling HARD today I see.  
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

🏀

• All American
« Reply #80 on: March 20, 2012, 01:00:30 PM »

This is actually hilarious considering the track record of Florida athletes not named Tebow.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #81 on: March 20, 2012, 01:01:14 PM »

Considering Urban Meyer had more players arrested than he had wins in Gainesville, you of all people probably should avoid this one.

Remember Teddy Dupay?

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #82 on: March 20, 2012, 01:01:38 PM »
Guys, the open records request was made on February 29...they didn't get the information until later.

This really is no big deal unless the incident mentioned later on in the article involved anyone.
The manager's comment is just damage control. He doesn't want to be in trouble with the liquor control commission. The manager is just laying the ground work for the defense that the club "handled all incidents appropriately and cooperated fully with the investigation."

Move along here....there's nothing to see. This is no worse than if they all got speeding tickets.
We Are Marquette

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #83 on: March 20, 2012, 01:02:28 PM »

1. That isn't a vague tense in the least

2. Referencing the legal drinking age is relevant to the story.

Honestly, why is it that a segment of this board ALWAYS finds a way to rip on the reporter whenever a negative story comes out on Marquette basketball?

I disagree with you on both counts...and I'm not sure you'll find many (if any) posts of mine criticizing reporters.

Isn't that the present perfect tense?  Wouldn't the past tense have been more appropriate?  Preferably with some indication of the time frame -- "Six members of the Marquette men's basketball team were ticketed on January 29, 2012 for being underage in a downtown Milwaukee club."  The present perfect tense is used when the timing of the action is not important or specified.  By definition, this verb tense is vague with respect to timing.  I think that in this story, the timing is important.  This is the lead.  The author knows that many people will read the lead and form their opinion without reading the remainder of the article carefully (if at all).  I bet if in mid-April he were to choose to write about Marquette's game against Murray State, he would write, "Marquette won its game against Murray State..." and not "Marquette has won..."

While reference to the drinking age might have been relevant, they were not charged with underage drinking.  The author could very easily have stated, "All six were ticketed for being in the Apt. 720 Club, 720 N. Milwaukee St., in downtown Milwaukee on Jan. 29. In Wisconsin, it is illegal for a minor under the age of 21 to be in a licensed club."  That would be more relevant because that is what they were charged with.

As I mentioned, I really don't jump on reporters very much just because they write something that can be construed as negative toward Marquette.  But this was just a crappy piece of writing.  I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume it was just sloppy writing.  I'll assume he was incompetent and did not intentionally try to cast the kids/team in a bad light.  Unless, of course, someone wants to convince me that he's actually a competent writer.  If that's the case, well then...
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Albert Gator

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #84 on: March 20, 2012, 01:08:21 PM »
This is actually hilarious considering the track record of Florida athletes not named Tebow.

We aren't a Catholic school.  We have a football team with many more athletes that can get into trouble.  I am not condoning it. We have had issues.  Appears that you do as well. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #85 on: March 20, 2012, 01:10:03 PM »
We aren't a Catholic school.  We have a football team with many more athletes that can get into trouble.  I am not condoning it. We have had issues.  Appears that you do as well. 

Defense is holding up well, son... we've had better trolls that this before.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • βœ… Verified Member
« Reply #86 on: March 20, 2012, 01:10:44 PM »
We aren't a Catholic school.  We have a football team with many more athletes that can get into trouble.  I am not condoning it. We have had issues.  Appears that you do as well.  

We've had bad media, but we haven't had any charges brought against any of the kids (except for these tickets).  All hearsay at this point.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #87 on: March 20, 2012, 01:10:50 PM »

They also failed to point out that there are no allegations of sexual assault....or beastiality....or random gunplay....

But he didn't bring up sexual assault....or beastiality....or random gunplay.  He did bring up underage drinking.  Even though there were no allegations of underage drinking.

If he'd mentioned, in his opening paragraphs that it's illegal to carry a concealed weapon in a bar, you can be damn certain I'd have been pissed off since there are no allegations that there were weapons involved.

Sultan, I consider you one of the more reasonable posters on this board and I tend to agree with you most of the time.  Just like I apparently agree with you that it's ridiculous how so many on this board have a persecution complex whenever anyone writes anything even remotely critical about Marquette and rush off to send emails, etc.  But this is a really crappy piece of journalism that really doesn't deserve the effort you've spent defending it.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #88 on: March 20, 2012, 01:11:58 PM »
I do not think this is a big deal. However, the West Virginia suspensions included DJO. He is over 21, so he would not have been ticketed. Maybe Buzz suspended him for poor leadership, if he was there.  

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #89 on: March 20, 2012, 01:14:45 PM »
But he didn't bring up sexual assault....or beastiality....or random gunplay.  He did bring up underage drinking.  Even though there were no allegations of underage drinking.

If he'd mentioned, in his opening paragraphs that it's illegal to carry a concealed weapon in a bar, you can be damn certain I'd have been pissed off since there are no allegations that there were weapons involved.

Sultan, I consider you one of the more reasonable posters on this board and I tend to agree with you most of the time.  Just like I apparently agree with you that it's ridiculous how so many on this board have a persecution complex whenever anyone writes anything even remotely critical about Marquette and rush off to send emails, etc.  But this is a really crappy piece of journalism that really doesn't deserve the effort you've spent defending it.

I understand where you are coming from and am not going to comment on it further.

But just to point out the lack of bias, Walker commented on the second Chadima report the day it was released last Friday. 

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/badgers/investigation-into-chadima-released-a54k4ft-143013505.html

People need to stop the persecution complex.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #90 on: March 20, 2012, 01:15:23 PM »

Had issues.

Yes, when there is a police blotter website, just for U of F athletes, "had issues", is the term I would use.

http://www.alligatorarmy.com/section/florida-gators-police-blotter

Albert Gator

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #91 on: March 20, 2012, 01:18:56 PM »
Had issues.

Yes, when there is a police blotter website, just for U of F athletes, "had issues", is the term I would use.

http://www.alligatorarmy.com/section/florida-gators-police-blotter

As your posters have stated, we are a much larger school that people care about.  FSU hates us, Miami hates us so there will be websites that track that sort of stuff.  We have and will continue to have some bad apples.  For a small, Catholic school like yourself, it is surprising to see so much come up of late. When you consider that few media outlets even pay attention to you and you are little brother to Wisconsin, they probably don't bother digging at all.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #92 on: March 20, 2012, 01:19:16 PM »

I understand where you are coming from and am not going to comment on it further.

But just to point out the lack of bias, Walker commented on the second Chadima report the day it was released last Friday. 

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/badgers/investigation-into-chadima-released-a54k4ft-143013505.html

Don goes to most Marquette games.  I'm not certain whether he is a season ticket holder, or splits a season, but I do know that he is a fan.
Ludum habemus.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #93 on: March 20, 2012, 01:19:21 PM »

Notwithstanding the fact that my initial response was to a post where someone was suggesting an intentional slant, I'm not one suggesting an anti-Marquette bias.  I honestly do attribute it to sloppy, lazy reporting.  Words mean things.  He used the wrong words.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #94 on: March 20, 2012, 01:22:53 PM »

I'll make you a deal:  unlike some people on this board who have questionable taste and/or judgment, I won't attempt to argue that Marquette has better looking girls than Florida, if you won't attempt to argue that that our off the court/field incidents are worse than yours.  Deal?

Should be a fun game Thursday night.  I hope we're the ones trolling come Friday morning.

SacWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #95 on: March 20, 2012, 01:23:00 PM »
It's a good thing Don told us about this so soon after it happened.

Surely if Marquette weren't in the tournament this story would still be written.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #96 on: March 20, 2012, 01:26:17 PM »
This is bullsh-t. Establishment wants business. Years ago I got ticketed. Big deal.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #97 on: March 20, 2012, 01:28:33 PM »
Please. This is a non-story. Post it any other time except two days before a Sweet Sixteen game and it hardly elicits a sneeze from anyone. I give it one out of five dookies on the distinguished Najeh Davenport Turds In The Hamper scale.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #98 on: March 20, 2012, 01:42:15 PM »

JSOnline stopped making those types of FOIA requests right around the time they had their last round of "layoffs."  It can't be determined if the two have any connection.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #99 on: March 20, 2012, 01:47:33 PM »
I'm grateful for any college kid who can get into less trouble than I did way back when.

Of course, given that drinking age was 18 when I was at MU, cops arrested us for NOT being in bars.
β€œIt’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson