[May 15, 2024, 09:14:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 6 Marquette players ticketed for being in a night club  (Read 29352 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: 6 Marquette players ticketed for being in a night club
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2012, 11:55:35 AM »
Worst spin of the story so far:
https://twitter.com/#!/PAIGER33/statuses/182142877370023936
Paige Pearson
‏ @PAIGER33

Vander Blue brushes with law again. #MUBB

--
Some fine reporting from the quality journalists at KSFY Sioux Falls

Somebody should light her up for that.  If I was on Twitter I would.  What a joke.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2012, 11:56:53 AM »
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2012, 11:57:52 AM »
This article has been added to in the last 15 minutes...The whole part about MU not commenting, and the club owner talking about another incident. I didn't see that the first time I looked at the article.

I'm relatively certain that the "other incident" mentioned in the article did not involve MU players, or Donny boy would have lit it up in his reporting.
Ludum habemus.

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2012, 12:00:06 PM »
I hope MU issues a snarky response eventually, rather than the usual PC cover our ass crap.

The article is just looking for any bad angle on anything... Let's bring up Blue's past incidents, let's talk about another completely unrelated incident at the same bar, let's talk about their liquor license renewal... blah blah blah.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2012, 12:03:11 PM »
Sultan, you are correct I misread the timing.  

So Don just saw it today, and writes a quick write up that is then posted on the main page of JSOnline with few facts and is constantly updating it with more information, some of which seems to have absolutely nothing to do with the original story?  Man do I hate journalism these days, what he couldn't take a day to talk to people and then post something?

Additionally, I agree this is a nothing story....in a vacuum.  Obviously MU is not operating in a vacuum for the last two years and this stuff starts to add up, especially with JS slanting things to sell papers/page views.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MarquetteNation

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2012, 12:07:03 PM »
+1 sultan on the timing...mea culpa.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2012, 12:08:32 PM »
I hope MU issues a snarky response eventually, rather than the usual PC cover our ass crap.

The article is just looking for any bad angle on anything... Let's bring up Blue's past incidents, let's talk about another completely unrelated incident at the same bar, let's talk about their liquor license renewal... blah blah blah.

Let's use a vague (if not intentionally misleading) verb tense in the lead ("Six members of the Marquette men's basketball team have been ticketed for being underage in a downtown Milwaukee club.").  Let's make sure to include a reference to the legal drinking age in Wisconsin, even though there's no allegation that they were drinking.  Let's fail to mention that there is no allegation that they were drinking.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2012, 12:09:32 PM »
Raise your hand if you got a ticket for underage drinking or being in a bar underage while at Marquette.

(Avenue Commons' hand raised high).
Can I raise more than one?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2012, 12:11:10 PM »
I never was in a bar while underage at MU.   I was legal when I arrived.     Sorry.   Just can't work up any outrage over this one. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2012, 12:12:03 PM »
My son was there when it happened and was surprised, and happy, that it had not been reported. It was after a home game on Saturday afternoon and forgot who we beat. Really is not big deal but unfortunately everyone has camera on phone today. My son sent me a couple of pictures and I thought it was the end of it back then.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2012, 12:13:40 PM »
So a quick perusal of Facebook shows this to be quite the happening place...

Marquee Entertainment
Partying with 90 Marquette students at Apartment 720 last night was a BLAST!!!! Kobe Bryant's presence definitely made it unforgettable!!! And here is a video we took last night, for those who enjoyed the night, LIKE IT AND SHARE IT!! Stay tuned for next week's upcoming events!!

For the record, MU was in Philly that night. Looking at the picture, it looks like just about the worst place in the world to me, but I can certainly understand why they would go there! And apparently lots of MU students do the same thing. They get back from Philly and decide to head out...big effin deal!

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2012, 12:15:44 PM »
So a quick perusal of Facebook shows this to be quite the happening place...

Marquee Entertainment
Partying with 90 Marquette students at Apartment 720 last night was a BLAST!!!! Kobe Bryant's presence definitely made it unforgettable!!! And here is a video we took last night, for those who enjoyed the night, LIKE IT AND SHARE IT!! Stay tuned for next week's upcoming events!!

For the record, MU was in Philly that night. Looking at the picture, it looks like just about the worst place in the world to me, but I can certainly understand why they would go there! And apparently lots of MU students do the same thing. They get back from Philly and decide to head out...big effin deal!

720 is fine.  Just buy bottle service to avoid the crush at the bar.

#MUBB

• Starter
« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2012, 12:16:20 PM »
My son was there when it happened and was surprised, and happy, that it had not been reported. It was after a home game on Saturday afternoon and forgot who we beat. Really is not big deal but unfortunately everyone has camera on phone today. My son sent me a couple of pictures and I thought it was the end of it back then.

Not to nit-pick but this was after an away game at Nova.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2012, 12:17:05 PM »
Guess DG was at home icing the knee since he had just injured it and he's the only underage player who wasn't there.  A joke that it's even worth reporting as they weren't drinking.  

Worst spin of the story so far:
https://twitter.com/#!/PAIGER33/statuses/182142877370023936
Paige Pearson
‏ @PAIGER33

Vander Blue brushes with law again. #MUBB

--
Some fine reporting from the quality journalists at KSFY Sioux Falls

I guess that's why she is where she is.  I could stand up now and read a couple news headlines in the office and I'd get more viewers than she does in that media market.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2012, 12:24:05 PM »
Let's use a vague (if not intentionally misleading) verb tense in the lead ("Six members of the Marquette men's basketball team have been ticketed for being underage in a downtown Milwaukee club.").  Let's make sure to include a reference to the legal drinking age in Wisconsin, even though there's no allegation that they were drinking.  Let's fail to mention that there is no allegation that they were drinking.

+1 on everything. Unbelievable. What a hack "journalist."

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2012, 12:26:54 PM »
That article is terrible... I like how they mention the thing about there being an incident outside that the manager hadnt had the chance to check the tapes. This incident has no mention of who it involves. It could have involved Joe Blow out front, but they threw it in there to imply it revolved around the players. Classy.

this guys tag line is "Don Walker offers news, notes and perspective on the ever-changing sports business landscape in Wisconsin and around the country". If that is truely the case... write an article about how the bar, a business, bends over itself to allow athletes to enter so their everyday clientele can feel special becuase they were in the same place as a ball player. This stuff happens all over the place. I am sure that UW(-)Milwaukee players get into their bars underage. To me, that is is the story- not that underage players were in the bar.

What I dont like the most about these guys being in this club is that, a simple look at their facebook page will show you, their female staff typically wear close to nothing. I dont want to rehash anything that has happened, but we all know it simply takes one individual to yell fire before the program gets put through the wringer. I am not saying that anything like this has or will happened, but when your program and players garner the national attention that a [back to back] trip to the sweet sixteen offers, anything can happen- be it true or not.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

ceh

• Starter
« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2012, 12:29:19 PM »
Complete hack job by the writer.  I can't believe that they would even post such a stupid piece.  They must be pandering to their Badger fan base.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2012, 12:30:36 PM »
Guess DG was at home icing the knee since he had just injured it and he's the only underage player who wasn't there.  A joke that it's even worth reporting as they weren't drinking.  

I guess that's why she is where she is.  I could stand up now and read a couple news headlines in the office and I'd get more viewers than she does in that media market.

And lets not give her any more page views by talking about her, because I'm pretty sure that's what she wants since she lives in Sioux Falls, which I'm told recently installed a 56K Modem at the library.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2012, 12:33:30 PM »

1. That isn't a vague tense in the least

2. Referencing the legal drinking age is relevant to the story.

Honestly, why is it that a segment of this board ALWAYS finds a way to rip on the reporter whenever a negative story comes out on Marquette basketball?

THEultimateWARRIOR

• Team Captain
« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2012, 12:36:18 PM »
Somebody should light her up for that.  If I was on Twitter I would.  What a joke.
Just sent her a nice response!

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2012, 12:36:58 PM »

Honestly, why is it that a segment of this board ALWAYS finds a way to rip on the reporter whenever a negative story comes out on Marquette basketball?

Sultan, you have to admit that NOT pointing out that there are no allegations of actual underage drinking is pretty biased journalism.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2012, 12:40:20 PM »

Sultan, I tend to overreact and then come back to even keel on this kind of stuff and I think you tend to start centered.  However I think you have to admit there is some shady journalism in this.  It may be a reflection of the times we live in, report first, accuracy later, but I don't know.  Regardless of it being a bias or simply a new way of media working, can you at least see there is reason to object and push back on the reporting?  You have no issue with the way this was reported or the timing?

Tommy Brice for Coach

• Team Captain
  • Tommy Brice is my hero
« Reply #72 on: March 20, 2012, 12:40:29 PM »
We should disable their RSS feed in protest for this reporting.

+100

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2012, 12:50:18 PM »
My favorite part of the article...

It could not be immediately determined whether the six had been disciplined by the school or the Athletic Department for the alleged violation. The Golden Eagles, a Sweet 16 team this year, will meet Florida at 9:17 p.m. Thursday in Phoenix. The team is scheduled to leave for Phoenix on Tuesday afternoon.

During the season in a February game against West Virginia, team officials announced that Darius Johnson-Odom, Junior Cadougan and Blue would not play in the first half due to an undisclosed violation of team rules. Also, reserve guard Todd Mayo was held out of the second half for a violation of team rules. The suspensions only applied to that game.

It could not be determined if those suspensions were tied to the tavern incident.

Nor is it anybody's damn business!

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2012, 12:51:59 PM »
My favorite part of the article...

It could not be immediately determined whether the six had been disciplined by the school or the Athletic Department for the alleged violation. The Golden Eagles, a Sweet 16 team this year, will meet Florida at 9:17 p.m. Thursday in Phoenix. The team is scheduled to leave for Phoenix on Tuesday afternoon.

During the season in a February game against West Virginia, team officials announced that Darius Johnson-Odom, Junior Cadougan and Blue would not play in the first half due to an undisclosed violation of team rules. Also, reserve guard Todd Mayo was held out of the second half for a violation of team rules. The suspensions only applied to that game.

It could not be determined if those suspensions were tied to the tavern incident.

Nor is it anybody's damn business!

This is exactly my point.....how's about you determine all of this s#^t and then report on it.  Who was gonna scoop you Don???