Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting: Buzz right back on the road  (Read 45513 times)

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
Re: Recruiting: Buzz right back on the road
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2013, 11:17:22 AM »
Partly. Partly bc he seems to like to shoot the tray and handle the ball on the perimeter. Also for a supposedly athletic kid I haven't seen him dunk in his videos. Also, didn't his dad transfer from MU to a Big 10 school?

John (?) Ellenson was recruited to Marquette by Majerius, but ended up being coached by Dukiet.  Talk about your bait and switch, so he transferred to Wisconsin.  He's on record saying that he holds no animosity against MU and would be fine with his son going there.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2013, 11:28:20 AM »
I don't see Reid Travis committing to MU being that he is also a standout football player. He also wants to play football where ever he goes. Michigan State isthe front runner I believe.

I think there is an interest in playing football, but what he ultimately does is undecided. I believe it's most likely he only plays basketball in college. Izzo continues to recruit him hard, visiting today... although 2013 Gavin Schilling just committed to MSU.

Quote from: SaintPaulWarrior
JayBee, any truth to the rumor that Tyus Jones and Jahlil Okafor have an agreement that they are going to the same college?

They talk about it all the time, but I've seen guys talk about being a package in the past and sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. Any kid should make the decision based on what's best for him.. if it works out you can join your buddy, then great... but, I'd say it might happen, might not.

Quote from:  AWegrzyn17
Is it just me or does it seem like Ellenson to Becky is a foregone conclusion. His game looks like it fits Bo's system perfectly.

It's just you. Henry is currently underrated in rankings and has the potential to be an exceptional college player. As his ball handling, speed & quickness improve the reality of being a 3/4 in college becomes more and more realizable. His skills are there. He can get down low and bang, but likes to run & work on the perimeter as well.

He's played a number of different ways in high school, AAU, at camps (including playing with the 'bigs' group at the US MDNT camp along with/against Diamond)... getting quite well rounded.

He could do well at Wisconsin, but playing in their offense would be selling him short.

Quote from: thehammock
Jaybee...I saw Evan Daniels report that Buzz is meeting with Rashad Vaughn today. You had mentioned that Rashad switched AAU programs. Does the switch to that program/ the MU connection give MU a legit shot at Rashad? Thx

I'm not sure how much that connection helps (players/coaching changes?), but it's a very good thing that Buzz is meeting with him. Spending time with a bunch of Milwaukee kids should be interesting for him... and playing in the EYBL will be a nice benefit as well.

With Buzz as coach and MU's style of play, there's always a chance. Many of the big boys are on him and have been for a long time. He may chop down his list in the near future - we'll see if MU makes it.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2013, 11:47:30 AM »
JayBee, any truth to the rumor that Tyus Jones and Jahlil Okafor have an agreement that they are going to the same college?

What's the link between these 2? Same AAU team or something?

EDIT:  Ahh nevermind, I see that they played on the U17 Team USA.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 11:51:32 AM by Stronghold »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2013, 11:51:49 AM »
What's the link between these 2? Same AAU team or something?

USA Basketball.

Farley36

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2013, 11:56:37 AM »
5 Star Recruits reported that Marquette and Florida state both visited 5-star SG Ahmed Hill today.

TWITTA TRACKAAAAAAAAAAAAAA:

@MedHill_14 "Had 2 great in-home visits today! Went better than I thought!"

Putting on my Nostradameus hat:

2015-16 lineup

Starters
Stone
Taylor
Burton
Johnson
Wilson

Bench

White
Looney
Hill
Dawson

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2013, 12:15:57 PM »

2015-16 lineup

Starters
Stone
Taylor
Burton
Johnson
Wilson

Bench

White
Looney
Hill
Dawson

LMAO @ Looney on the bench.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2013, 12:24:02 PM »
LMAO @ Looney on the bench.

I was thinking the same thing. I know its a joke but people are really not giving Looney enough credit even in their dream scenarios. Guy will be a stud.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2013, 01:02:58 PM »
JayBee,

Are there any worthwhile AAU, EYBl type events in the Cities in the near future that are worth attending?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2013, 01:29:51 PM »
JayBee,

Are there any worthwhile AAU, EYBL type events in the Cities in the near future that are worth attending?

Yes, a bunch! Keep in touch, but thinking off the top... next weekend (4/19-21) the NY2LA (at Hopkins HS) tourney will be a very good one as will D1 Minnesota's Spring tourney at Bloomington Jefferson.

May 3-5 is the Howard Pulley Invitational.. the EYBL team should be there as well as their other teams.. that's at High Performance Academy in Eagan, I believe*

Weekend starting May 24 - EYBL Session #4 is at High Performance Academy.. that's a can't miss. It's also a EYBL 16U qualifier.

Bunch of tourneys in July as well...

In addition to the ones above I'll be hitting a couple of state tourneys in the April/May time frame...

This Sunday morning I may head up to St. Cloud for a bit for the Minnesota Comets shootout.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2013, 01:46:47 PM »
Yes, a bunch! Keep in touch, but thinking off the top... next weekend (4/19-21) the NY2LA (at Hopkins HS) tourney will be a very good one as will D1 Minnesota's Spring tourney at Bloomington Jefferson.

May 3-5 is the Howard Pulley Invitational.. the EYBL team should be there as well as their other teams.. that's at High Performance Academy in Eagan, I believe*

Weekend starting May 24 - EYBL Session #4 is at High Performance Academy.. that's a can't miss. It's also a EYBL 16U qualifier.

Bunch of tourneys in July as well...

In addition to the ones above I'll be hitting a couple of state tourneys in the April/May time frame...

This Sunday morning I may head up to St. Cloud for a bit for the Minnesota Comets shootout.

Thanks!  Any guesses on (1)Which tournaments may hae a Buzz sighting and (2) have MU potential recruits playing?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2013, 01:55:29 PM »

2015-16 lineup

Starters
Stone
Taylor
Burton
Johnson
Wilson

Bench

White
Looney (Declared early entrant, lottery pick in NBA Draft)
Hill
Dawson

FIFY
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2013, 02:56:54 PM »
It's just you. Henry is currently underrated in rankings and has the potential to be an exceptional college player. As his ball handling, speed & quickness improve the reality of being a 3/4 in college becomes more and more realizable. His skills are there. He can get down low and bang, but likes to run & work on the perimeter as well.

He's played a number of different ways in high school, AAU, at camps (including playing with the 'bigs' group at the US MDNT camp along with/against Diamond)... getting quite well rounded.

He could do well at Wisconsin, but playing in their offense would be selling him short.

Please explain to me how this kid could be a 3 in Buzz's system: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukyEwWAvLLc. He'll be a good post player, but lets not get crazy.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2013, 04:23:54 PM »
I actually like Ellenson's game from his vid.  He has a nice touch and finishing ability around the hoop.  Something some high school players don't realize is that they can't dunk everything inside in college, so I think this guy's ability around the rim will help.  He looks mobile for his size but I wouldn't classify him as athletic in a basketball sense.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2013, 04:26:15 PM »
Based on that video he reminds me a lot of Davante Gardner

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2013, 04:57:54 PM »
Based on that video he reminds me a lot of Davante Gardner

A highlight reel is a selection of possessions where the guy's shot is always going in.  I'd have to see and overall reel with missed shots as reel as successes before I'd say that he has Davonte's touch.  It appears to me that he moves better and is more accustomed to taking the outside shot than Davonte.  Not that I'm saying that Davonte can't hit the outside shot, but -thank God- Davonte hangs around the paint where we need him to be.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2013, 05:20:01 PM »
Rather tepid endorsement. "Hey, it was better than a stick in the eye..." Not encouraging.

Huh?  For as much as you like to flaunt all your accomplishments, reading comprehension must not be a strength of yours, and it must not be something that your employers have looked for.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2013, 05:30:41 PM »
Ellenson is a lot more mobile and in better condition than Gardner. Plus he has more arrows in his quiver.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2013, 06:20:37 PM »
A highlight reel is a selection of possessions where the guy's shot is always going in.  I'd have to see and overall reel with missed shots as reel as successes before I'd say that he has Davonte's touch.  It appears to me that he moves better and is more accustomed to taking the outside shot than Davonte.  Not that I'm saying that Davonte can't hit the outside shot, but -thank God- Davonte hangs around the paint where we need him to be.

I was referring more to how they both use their bodies and not necessarily their verticals around the rim.

The Process

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2013, 06:26:35 PM »
Huh?  For as much as you like to flaunt all your accomplishments, reading comprehension must not be a strength of yours, and it must not be something that your employers have looked for.

He hired someone to read for him, obviously.

Back to topic:  I love seeing Buzz out on the road recruiting so hard.  I'll be happy watching him coach for as long as he's here... hopefully that's a long, long time.
Relax. Respect the Process.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2013, 09:40:34 PM »
He hired someone to read for him, obviously.

Back to topic:  I love seeing Buzz out on the road recruiting so hard.  I'll be happy watching him coach for as long as he's here... hopefully that's a long, long time.

Again with the sophomoric comments. Subtlety and nuance elude you, as always. Cretin.

Death on call

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2013, 11:22:49 PM »
I really wish we could've gotten Joel Embiid, he looked great in the Jordan Classic last night. Stuffed Julius Randle at the rim going full throttle for a dunk, his defensive potential is amazing. He might've impressed me the most out of any player.

The Process

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2013, 11:24:24 PM »
I really wish we could've gotten Joel Embiid, he looked great in the Jordan Classic last night. Stuffed Julius Randle at the rim going full throttle for a dunk, his defensive potential is amazing. He might've impressed me the most out of any player.

Agreed, but methinks JJJ is a helluva consolation prize.
Relax. Respect the Process.

ceh

• Starter
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2013, 07:23:53 AM »
I'm going to be interested as to how Buzz deals with the losses if CO and Ox next year.  We don't have any true centers in the pipeline yet, so maybe we go Juco to add some true size.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2013, 07:52:03 AM »
I'm going to be interested as to how Buzz deals with the losses if CO and Ox next year.  We don't have any true centers in the pipeline yet, so maybe we go Juco to add some true size.
You are absolutely correct, and according to the recruiting sites, we are not looking at very many Centers. The only one I could find was Sean O'Mara, 6'9" from Lisle, Il. #119 on Rivals. It does not look like there a lot of good Centers out there for 2014, so Buzz has the work cut out for him. Replacing Ox/O'Tule will not be easy.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2013, 08:31:47 AM »
I look for him to land a couple of more 6'9 switchable types.    Plus Diamond Stone.   Land Stone and White out of Chicago and we will have ample size, with McKay and STjr.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.