Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting: Buzz right back on the road  (Read 45635 times)

Litehouse

• All American
Re: Recruiting: Buzz right back on the road
« Reply #75 on: April 16, 2013, 03:17:17 PM »
We have a far more immediate need for guards than bigs. If we're taking a one-year transfer, I would much sooner have a guard than a 7-footer.

1: D.Wilson/D.Wilson/Dawson
2: Mayo/JJJ
3: Jamil/Burton
4: McKay/Taylor
5: Otule/Gardner

I don't think either area necessarily has a more immediate need for next year.  For a one-year transfer I don't think it makes a difference, either would be fine.  But for a regular transfer that would sit out next year, we have a FAR greater need for bigs the following year.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #76 on: April 16, 2013, 04:39:27 PM »

I don't think either area necessarily has a more immediate need for next year.  For a one-year transfer I don't think it makes a difference, either would be fine.  But for a regular transfer that would sit out next year, we have a FAR greater need for bigs the following year.
Astarting guard lineup of Mayo and De. Wilson is not awe inspiring. We are definitely going to ned points next year, which is why we will need Gardner to start at PF and play 30 minutes a game. IMO Du. Wilson should start from day 1, and Triple J will need plenty of minutes to score and get up to speed. Mayo is way too inconsistent.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #77 on: April 16, 2013, 04:42:40 PM »
Astarting guard lineup of Mayo and De. Wilson is not awe inspiring. We are definitely going to ned points next year, which is why we will need Gardner to start at PF and play 30 minutes a game. IMO Du. Wilson should start from day 1, and Triple J will need plenty of minutes to score and get up to speed. Mayo is way too inconsistent.

Why are you so obsessed with who "starts"?  Hasn't Buzz shown you that starting has little correlation with actual minutes played or who closes the game?  Anderson and Otule started last year, but JWilson always and Gardner mostly got more minutes and were in the game at crunch time.  Lose the starter hangup.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #78 on: April 16, 2013, 04:55:50 PM »
Teddy Greenstein just tweeted Drew Crawford from Northwestern is being pursued hard by Marquette and Mizzou.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #79 on: April 16, 2013, 04:56:01 PM »

The 5 guards listed have on average 0.8 years of college experience. The 6 front court players have an average of 2.5 years of college experience. If we get a 1-year transfer, a guard would be much more desirable because we need that experience now.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #80 on: April 16, 2013, 05:06:23 PM »
Teddy Greenstein just tweeted Drew Crawford from Northwestern is being pursued hard by Marquette and Mizzou.

Has Crawford even announced he is leaving?

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #81 on: April 16, 2013, 05:11:00 PM »
Has Crawford even announced he is leaving?

Haven't seen it anywhere, but he's eligible to play right away and it appears to be a solid rumor right now.  He might be my top transfer choice, could help A LOT in the shooting dept.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #82 on: April 16, 2013, 05:14:50 PM »
It appears Drew can seriously shoot the rock. Sign me up!

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #83 on: April 16, 2013, 05:18:17 PM »
Why are you so obsessed with who "starts"?  Hasn't Buzz shown you that starting has little correlation with actual minutes played or who closes the game?  Anderson and Otule started last year, but JWilson always and Gardner mostly got more minutes and were in the game at crunch time.  Lose the starter hangup.
Thank you for your advice. Lose your hangup about my so called "obsession". Most kids want to start. We had no offense apart from Gardner in the 39 point debacle with Syracuse. Gardner will need 30 minutes per game to make up for the loss of points. If he does not start--fine, but we will need close to 30 minutes per game for the scoring.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #84 on: April 16, 2013, 05:18:35 PM »

I could've sworn you just asked for us to not recruit anymore guards...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #85 on: April 16, 2013, 05:20:54 PM »
Thank you for your advice. Lose your hangup about my so called "obsession". Most kids want to start. We had no offense apart from Gardner in the 39 point debacle with Syracuse. Gardner will need 30 minutes per game to make up for the loss of points. If he does not start--fine, but we will need close to 30 minutes per game for the scoring.

Just like we weren't going to be able to score this year with Jae and DJO leaving. Well, we made the Elite 8.

MJ isn't at UNC. Bill Walton isn't at UCLA. Players graduate and go pro. Teams survive. Marquette will survive.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #86 on: April 16, 2013, 05:21:24 PM »

He's less than 40% from 3. What do you consider good for shooting?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #87 on: April 16, 2013, 05:21:25 PM »
Haven't seen it anywhere, but he's eligible to play right away and it appears to be a solid rumor right now.  He might be my top transfer choice, could help A LOT in the shooting dept.

My point is if he is still with Northwestern and hasn't left the program, yet, some might construe that as tampering.  I hope your report is wrong unless he has stated he is leaving the Northwestern program....which maybe he has privately and it hasn't come to light yet publicly.  

Last I had seen, Collins was hoping that Crawford was going to stay at Northwestern and Jim Phillips had echoed similar comments.  I wouldn't blame him for leaving, he can play his one final year at another school without penalty.

https://twitter.com/TeddyGreenstein
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 05:24:11 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #88 on: April 16, 2013, 05:22:56 PM »

Would be a good addition, I remember seeing him as an late first/early second rounder in some mocks this past preseason.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #89 on: April 16, 2013, 05:27:33 PM »
My point is if he is still with Northwestern and hasn't left the program, yet, some might construe that as tampering.  I hope your report is wrong unless he has stated he is leaving the Northwestern program....which maybe he has privately and it hasn't come to light yet publicly.  

Last I had seen, Collins was hoping that Crawford was going to stay at Northwestern and Jim Phillips had echoed similar comments.  I wouldn't blame him for leaving, he can play his one final year at another school without penalty.

Blog on Crawford dated March 29 seems to make it like he is still up in the air unless you have new info: http://www.sippinonpurple.com/northwestern-wildcats-basketball/2013/3/29/4160038/drew-crawford-transfer-northwestern-injury-redshirt

Also, what are the rules for a 5th year? Does he have to declare he's not going back to the original schools before asking around to other schools? Or is it automatic once he graduates he can make himself sort of a FA and visit other schools?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #90 on: April 16, 2013, 05:46:27 PM »
That's why I said some might construe it as tampering.  I know if he was at MU and other schools were rumored to be going after him, we would be beside ourselves and pissed off...that I know for sure.   ;D   

From what I understand, he can take a few recruiting trips at this stage (three, max, I believe), so I suspect he can do what he wants, but I'm not sure of the mechanics of it.  Do you have to declare you might leave so you can take the recruiting trips?  That's why I asked if he has stated his intentions or not, or if he has come out and said he is leaving.  I'd be curious, just as you are, what the process is.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #91 on: April 16, 2013, 05:52:19 PM »
That's why I said some might construe it as tampering.  I know if he was at MU and other schools were rumored to be going after him, we would be beside ourselves and pissed off...that I know for sure.   ;D   

From what I understand, he can take a few recruiting trips at this stage (three, max, I believe), so I suspect he can do what he wants, but I'm not sure of the mechanics of it.  Do you have to declare you might leave so you can take the recruiting trips?  That's why I asked if he has stated his intentions or not, or if he has come out and said he is leaving.  I'd be curious, just as you are, what the process is.

Yeah, I couldn't imagine Lockett leaving ASU without assurances from MU or another major program. Though I did always find it amazing a scholarship opened a few hours before Wilson stated he was leaving Oregon.  ;)

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #92 on: April 16, 2013, 05:55:52 PM »
I could've sworn you just asked for us to not recruit anymore guards...

You're right (thanks for noticing)...but I'll waive that for a guy who can consistently hit a three-pointer.

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #93 on: April 16, 2013, 06:10:20 PM »
Crawford at MU would be HUGE!  Sign him and Black or another big and we're a betterteam than we would have been.  IMHO
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #94 on: April 16, 2013, 06:16:21 PM »
You're right (thanks for noticing)...but I'll waive that for a guy who can consistently hit a three-pointer.

again.. he's less than 40% from 3. Jamil shot 36% this year. Are you hoping for a Novak, Hulls, Diener? Because you're going to be disappointed.

12-13: 37.0%
11-12: 41.2%
10-11: 32.7%
09-10: 34.2%
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 06:19:57 PM by jesmu84 »

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #95 on: April 16, 2013, 06:18:37 PM »
Yeah, forget guards.  Let's fill our 4 2014 openings with 4 centers.  ::)

That's not what he said.

Death on call

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #96 on: April 16, 2013, 06:25:01 PM »
again.. he's less than 40% from 3. Jamil shot 36% this year. Are you hoping for a Novak, Hulls, Diener? Because you're going to be disappointed.

I wouldn't count 2012-2013 since he played 10 games. A couple nights of 0-4 and 1-5 had a major impact in lowering the %.

My bigger concern would be if the shoulder injury effects his form at all.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #97 on: April 16, 2013, 06:26:24 PM »

Yeah I knew what you were getting at I just wanted clarify I hadn't seen it anywhere official yet.

There has to be some sort if communication allowed during a coaching change right?

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #98 on: April 16, 2013, 06:29:35 PM »

41.2 is good enough to be the best 3pt shooter in the Big East.  I'll take that.  It's better than DJO ever shot too.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #99 on: April 16, 2013, 06:36:39 PM »
3 point percentage has a lot to do with shot selection as well. Safe to say Marquette will create more open looks than Northwestern.

feedback