collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: question about internet service providers  (Read 2394 times)

jutaw22mu

• All American
question about internet service providers
« on: May 23, 2018, 05:16:04 PM »
I am shopping ISPs because I would like to get away from Comcast.  I use Vue to stream television and was wondering if anyone here has used Spectrum before and if they provide good service and fast internet?

Thanks

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: question about internet service providers
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 08:12:47 PM »
i have had spectrum here in wisconsin at my home and office for many years.  presently in the process of trying to increase my mbps and lower my price as everyone but me is getting boofed.  right now i'm paying about $80 for 60mbps where many others are paying like $60 for 100mbps.  i've been trying to communicate with my rep, but he has been conveniently avoiding me.  for that reason, i am hoping to see some more responses to you thread here. 

down in phoenix, i have cox and i am looking to do some shopping for both cable/youtube/roku/firestick and internet.  i need to be able to turn the tv service on/off without getting jacked while maintaining the internet for my security system
don't...don't don't don't don't

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 06:29:39 AM »
We have spectrum in Madison and use Sling.  Pretty good speed, for the most part.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 08:16:56 AM »
i have had spectrum here in wisconsin at my home and office for many years.  presently in the process of trying to increase my mbps and lower my price as everyone but me is getting boofed.  right now i'm paying about $80 for 60mbps where many others are paying like $60 for 100mbps.  i've been trying to communicate with my rep, but he has been conveniently avoiding me.  for that reason, i am hoping to see some more responses to you thread here. 

down in phoenix, i have cox and i am looking to do some shopping for both cable/youtube/roku/firestick and internet.  i need to be able to turn the tv service on/off without getting jacked while maintaining the internet for my security system

Don't use a rep. Don't use a sales person. Don't schedule a meeting. Call spectrum and go to the cancelation department. Threaten to cancel that day and say your moving to another isp.

They will lower your rate. They will increase your speed. This is how business is done in 2018.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 08:20:35 AM »
I feel like one of the universal truths about life in modern society is that everyone complains about their ISP, cell provider, and cable company (if they have them). I see fb/twitter posts as often that are "ATT sucks" as "Verizon sucks." For ISPs/cable companies there are more residual geographic monopolies, but it's "Spectrum sucks" or "Comcast sucks" across the board. Nobody has a positive reputation for service.

Sorry to be grim, but I suspect you're gonna get got by whoever you end up with.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 09:30:07 AM »
Don't use a rep. Don't use a sales person. Don't schedule a meeting. Call spectrum and go to the cancelation department. Threaten to cancel that day and say your moving to another isp.

They will lower your rate. They will increase your speed. This is how business is done in 2018.

I tried that and it didn't work. They had no interest in keeping me as a customer.

Now? I get offers in the mail or by phone on an almost weekly basis from them.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 09:36:35 AM »
I tried that and it didn't work. They had no interest in keeping me as a customer.

Now? I get offers in the mail or by phone on an almost weekly basis from them.

Sadly (and strangely) this is how it works. They actually let you cancel - figuring you really won't do it - but then inundate you with better offers within days of canceling. It happened to me with both Comcast and DirecTV. I canceled DirecTV on Sept. 1 and I still receive at least one offer per month that is so much better than what I had. If they had just offered it to me back on Sept. 1, I would have never left!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2018, 06:09:53 PM »

thanks-i'm going to give that a try hoping they don't call my bluff because i cannot go without internet or phone at my office.  the 8 tv's i could probably get by without for a little while, but cartoon network is invaluable when working on kids.  it literally puts them in a trance.  between that and the N2O-winning!  i'm paying $530/month there for phone, tv and internet 

btw, have any of you noticed the fees and taxes on your bills?  cheezus man!  they account for almost 25% or so of the total bill!!!
don't...don't don't don't don't

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2018, 06:18:01 PM »
cartoon network is invaluable when working on kids.  it literally puts them in a trance.  between that and the N2O-winning!

ZFB is intrigued.

My bill is outrageous. My only fear is speed... and directv now working if I switch. Guess I need to just try it. With two places, dtv now makes even more sense.

I just biked to a bar. Power is out and may not be on for a few hours. Hoping we can put Bachlorette on 1 TV, b-ball on another & hockey on the third
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2018, 06:52:33 PM »
If you mention ISPs 3 times, does that summon Chicos?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2018, 09:59:56 PM »
ZFB is intrigued.

My bill is outrageous. My only fear is speed... and directv now working if I switch. Guess I need to just try it. With two places, dtv now makes even more sense.

I just biked to a bar. Power is out and may not be on for a few hours. Hoping we can put Bachlorette on 1 TV, b-ball on another & hockey on the third

Watch yo alcohol consumption, bro. Don't wanna get stopped bye da fuzz and get ticketed for a BUI, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2018, 10:43:44 PM »
I am shopping ISPs because I would like to get away from Comcast.  I use Vue to stream television and was wondering if anyone here has used Spectrum before and if they provide good service and fast internet?

Thanks

I use Spectrum at home (Southern CA) and find it to be good enough - which is much better than the experience I've had using various other services throughout the country/world. Come to think of it, I've never experienced a real outage that wasn't my own fault (like forgetting to pay the bill!). Even then, the internet came back on within a couple minutes.

Comcast was the worst experience I had, when I lived in Shorewood. It wasn't just a singular bad experience or anything unreasonable. The service was quite unreliable and my frustration was compounded by their lack of custmer service. A couple times listening to  60+ minutes of Muzak and I decided I'd had it. The original reason I chose them was because they offered a really nice Dell laptop, but the shipping info never updated and then they said they had no idea (they said to keep waiting, but it never came - eventually they later said I no longer qualified  ::)).

Any of them experience significant speed decreases around high times, but rarely enough to notice. Even the most basic Spectrum package should be more than sufficient for your needs. I stream TV on several devices, stream video games, downloads, etc and the mid-range Spectrum package I currently have is still overkill. This isn't the old days of dial-up or DSL - the speeds have gotten so good that the mid-range and high-end packages are meant for the 0.01% of users.

If you live somewhere with Google Fiber I'd suggest that, otherwise I would recommend Spectrum over the other major providers.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 10:49:55 PM by D'Lo Brown »

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2018, 11:00:32 PM »
We tried to cancel our Time Warner "land line" a couple years and they said our monthly rate would increase if we did it.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2018, 09:54:59 AM »
In Chicago, I have had AT&T Fiber now for a little over a year and really like it. Have more than enough bandwidth to handle our internet usage, entertainment (DirecTV Now & other streaming) and our alarm system (Abode). Speeds are always over 100+ up & down. I do throw a VPN on once in a while just to keep them honest. Pay $60 / mo.

I much prefer it over Comcast whose speeds were never consistent. I also feel they throttled a lot more. I had my own modem and router with them too so I know it wasn't a hardware issue.

But I like to throw handfuls...

feedback