collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Football Ratings Are Down  (Read 105599 times)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Re: Football Ratings Are Down
« Reply #450 on: October 12, 2016, 07:36:54 AM »
Glad you are dry enough to post, MU82.

Why? 82 usually doesn't start drinking until the crack of noon usually.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #451 on: October 12, 2016, 11:17:04 AM »
League of Denial: How #BoycottNFL vigilantes are targeting NFL TV ratings
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/nfl-tv-ratings-dropoff-protests-colin-kaepernick-49ers-boycott-fans-espn-cbs-nbc-fox/23puzjzpkl1v15rv3sixi112m

The NFL is dreaming if it thinks the alarming double-digit drop in TV ratings this season has nothing to do with a fan backlash against Colin Kaepernick's protest of the American flag and national anthem.

The bottom line: There's a vocal group of fans out there that sees the peaceful protest by the 49ers quarterback, and other NFL players, as anti-American, anti-police and anti-military.

We don't now how many of them there are. Right or wrong, they're offended by what they see as disrespect by Kaepernick and other NFL players toward Old Glory and "The Star-Spangled Banner."

They're tired of being lectured and hectored by TV talking heads.

These TV vigilantes are hell-bent on punishing the $13 billion league that seems to accept, even condone, the kneeldowns and raised fists by its players.

They're urging other turned-off viewers to tune out NFL games.

The NFL's right about one thing: Politics is playing a part in this.

Most of the #BoycottNFL folks seem to lean Republican or politically conservative.

Actor James Woods, one of the few conservatives in Hollywood, is cheering this crowd on.

@RealJamesWoods
Such a joy to watch these tone deaf America haters try to figure out why they are loathed. #BoycottNFL http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2016/10/08/nfl-tries-to-reassure-teams-as-tv-ratings-drop.html

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #452 on: October 12, 2016, 11:28:54 AM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/__i8-aw20C4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/__i8-aw20C4</a>
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #453 on: October 12, 2016, 11:38:41 AM »
Sure hope you shorted NFL related stocks, then, Jesse. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #454 on: October 12, 2016, 12:05:26 PM »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #455 on: October 12, 2016, 03:15:06 PM »
Glad you are dry enough to post, MU82.

We dodged the worst of it here in Charlotte. One of the benefits of being well inland, I suppose. Had a couple days of pretty hard rain and 20-30 mph winds but that was child's play compared to the devastation some faced.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #456 on: October 13, 2016, 08:49:07 AM »
This chart shows why the NFL, and it broadcast partners, are in deep deep trouble.

NFL Ratings Just Fell Off a Cliff: Why?
Four culprits: Presidential debates, cord-cutters, Twitter streams, and Peyton Manning.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2016/10/nfl-ratings-just-fell-off-a-cliff-why/503666/

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #457 on: October 15, 2016, 07:05:45 AM »
NFL ratings plunge could spell doom for traditional TV
By Drew Harwell October 14 at 6:33 PM

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/nfl-ratings-plunge-could-spell-doom-for-traditional-tv/2016/10/14/a7a23dc2-915f-11e6-9c85-ac42097b8cc0_story.html

Football, America’s biggest prime-time powerhouse, has been thrust into a crisis this fall, with dwindling ratings sparking questions over whether it can remain a gold mine for television in an age when more Americans are abandoning traditional TV.

Network executives have long used the National Football League’s live games as a last line of defense against the rapid growth of “cord-cutting” and on-demand viewing upending the industry.

But now, the NFL is seeing its ratings tumble in the same way that the Olympics, awards shows and other live events have, falling more than 10 percent for the first five weeks of the season compared with the first five weeks of last season. A continued slide, executives say, could pose an even bigger danger: If football can’t survive the new age of TV, what can?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #458 on: October 15, 2016, 10:06:04 AM »
Is the US election responsible for this too?

Seriously ... this confirms the article immediately above ... what we might be seeing is the collapse of "linear TV" or traditional television .  If Live TV (sports) ratings are collapsing, then their is no point in having a cable or Sat bill again.  Just an internet connection and a smart TV with thousands of options (or an iPad if you’re ok with the small screen)..  Sell Disney, Sell Dish, Sell Comcast!

How long until MU basketball's broadcast partners are MUBB.com and bigeast.org?

Shocker for Sky as football fans turn off with 19 per cent drop in viewing figures for live Premier League games
PUBLISHED: 16:30 EST, 14 October 2016 | UPDATED: 03:09 EST, 15 October 2016

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-3838862/Shocker-Sky-football-fans-turn-19-cent-drop-viewing-figures-live-Premier-League-games.html

There will be considerable concern around football that viewing figures for Sky Sports’ live Premier League matches this season have dropped by a whopping 19 per cent.

The dramatic year-on-year fall has occurred in the first season of a new rights deal with Sky and BT Sport having paid over £5billion between them for their three-year contracts for the match packages.

The surprise slide in Sky’s ratings comes despite an exciting start to the season plus the huge hype surrounding the managerial tussle between Pep Guardiola, Jose Mourinho and Jurgen Klopp.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 10:26:43 AM by Jesse Livermore »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #459 on: October 15, 2016, 10:07:57 AM »

Seriously ... this confirms the article immediately above ... what we might be seeing is the collapse of "linear TV" or traditional television .  If Live TV (sports) ratings are collapsing, then their is no point in having a cable or Sat bill again.  Just an internet connection and a smart TV with thousands of options.  Sell Disney, Sell Comcast!

How long the MU basketball's broadcast partners are MUBB.com and bigeast.org?

Shocker for Sky as football fans turn off with 19 per cent drop in viewing figures for live Premier League games

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-3838862/Shocker-Sky-football-fans-turn-19-cent-drop-viewing-figures-live-Premier-League-games.html

There will be considerable concern around football that viewing figures for Sky Sports’ live Premier League matches this season have dropped by a whopping 19 per cent.

The dramatic year-on-year fall has occurred in the first season of a new rights deal with Sky and BT Sport having paid over £5billion between them for their three-year contracts for the match packages.

The surprise slide in Sky’s ratings comes despite an exciting start to the season plus the huge hype surrounding the managerial tussle between Pep Guardiola, Jose Mourinho and Jurgen Klopp.

This also shows that the Kaepernick protests are likely a very small part of the reason for the NFL's decline.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #460 on: October 15, 2016, 02:35:01 PM »

This also shows that the Kaepernick protests are likely a very small part of the reason for the NFL's decline.

I'm glad someone else commented on this.  I was trying to figure out what his recent posts had to do with  his stance that the Kap protests are killing the NFL. 

These posts only contradict his stance and suggest it has to with larger demographic shifts in TV viewership. 

brandx

« Reply #461 on: October 15, 2016, 03:57:56 PM »

Heisy says people are turned off by players kneeling during "God Save the Queen" because they are protesting Brexit.

brandx

« Reply #462 on: October 15, 2016, 03:59:29 PM »
NFL ratings plunge could spell doom for traditional TV
By Drew Harwell October 14 at 6:33 PM

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/nfl-ratings-plunge-could-spell-doom-for-traditional-tv/2016/10/14/a7a23dc2-915f-11e6-9c85-ac42097b8cc0_story.html

Football, America’s biggest prime-time powerhouse, has been thrust into a crisis this fall, with dwindling ratings sparking questions over whether it can remain a gold mine for television in an age when more Americans are abandoning traditional TV.

Network executives have long used the National Football League’s live games as a last line of defense against the rapid growth of “cord-cutting” and on-demand viewing upending the industry.

But now, the NFL is seeing its ratings tumble in the same way that the Olympics, awards shows and other live events have, falling more than 10 percent for the first five weeks of the season compared with the first five weeks of last season. A continued slide, executives say, could pose an even bigger danger: If football can’t survive the new age of TV, what can?

Traditional TV is ALREADY doomed. Has been for several years now. It is just a matter of time.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #463 on: October 15, 2016, 05:02:28 PM »
I'm glad someone else commented on this.  I was trying to figure out what his recent posts had to do with  his stance that the Kap protests are killing the NFL. 

These posts only contradict his stance and suggest it has to with larger demographic shifts in TV viewership.

Got it backwards ...

You, Sultan and Pakuni insisted that it was not affecting ratings as most respected Kap's right to protest.  I argued it was factor, but not the only one.  I criticized you Sultan and Pakuni as being so blinded by your political ideology that you are Incapable of seeing this.  This post shows it again you cannot see things that do not fit your political views.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #464 on: October 15, 2016, 05:03:56 PM »
Got it backwards ...

You, Sultan and Pakuni insisted that it was not affecting ratings as most respected Kap's right to protest.  I argued it was factor, but not the only one.  I criticized you Sultan and Pakuni as being so blinded by your political ideology that you are Incapable of seeing this.  This post shows it again you cannot see things that do not fit your political views.

I actually said it was a minimal factor at best.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #465 on: October 15, 2016, 05:21:41 PM »
Got it backwards ...

On page 12, you made a similar argument against Sultan and Pakuni (I wasn't included).  Pakuni very promptly set the record straight that your statement and argument was patently false and that their argument was that it had a minimal effect.

Later I was accused by bma77 of the same thing.  I immediately set the record straight that such a statement is incorrect and that I believe it has a minimal effect as it is impossible for anything to have zero effect.  BMA77 polititely apologized when I explained confusion due to hyperbole.

I will reiterate here, no matter how hard you try to shift goalposts, my stance has always been that the effect of the protests on ratings is minimal.  A few pages back I commented on the demographics issue as being paramount (which you now decided to link an article supporting that argument). 

I have for the most part stayed out of this argument and watched this dumpster fire of an argument from afar.  At this point it would behoove you to just state that, ratings are clearly predominantly down from a combination of election year, changing demographics, illegalization of fantasy sports gambling in some states, and poor football games.  You are incapable of doing so because of your political persuasion...don't cast that blame/fault onto us.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 06:21:29 PM by forgetful »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #466 on: October 15, 2016, 06:08:10 PM »
BTW, I have been guilty in this thread of speaking in hyperbole.  This is what I said back on September 19 and pretty much is still how I feel.

Ratings continue their drop off.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/09/19/packers-vikings-down-16-percent-from-2015-week-two-snf/

FWIW, I think Chicos is right here.  Some people are not watching because of Kaepernick et. al.  There doesn't have to be one singular reason for the drop off.  Undoubtedly this is one - only time will tell how prominent that reason is.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #467 on: October 16, 2016, 04:12:49 PM »
Have the people calling for the NFL to make Kaepernick stand for the anthem really thought about what they are tangibly asking for? They are asking for a company to make a player stand for the national anthem against his will. And if he doesn't, threaten him with fines and the possibility of him losing his job. Think about that for a second. That is something you would think of happening in a fascist or totalitarian country. As much as we love to paint Goddell as a dictator, I think even he recognizes that it is a step too far.

I recognize and understand why people have said this is disrespectful, ineffective, bad for business, wrong, etc. But really think about what the solution being suggested. Hate Kaepernick, call him disrespectful, but why punish the NFL for refusing to act like a dictator? 
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #468 on: October 16, 2016, 06:35:13 PM »
Have the people calling for the NFL to make Kaepernick stand for the anthem really thought about what they are tangibly asking for? They are asking for a company to make a player stand for the national anthem against his will. And if he doesn't, threaten him with fines and the possibility of him losing his job. Think about that for a second. That is something you would think of happening in a fascist or totalitarian country. As much as we love to paint Goddell as a dictator, I think even he recognizes that it is a step too far.

I recognize and understand why people have said this is disrespectful, ineffective, bad for business, wrong, etc. But really think about what the solution being suggested. Hate Kaepernick, call him disrespectful, but why punish the NFL for refusing to act like a dictator?

It's a private business, not a government.  They can impose this rule if they like.  As noted earlier, the NBA has specific rules about standing for the Anthem.  Is Adam Silver a dictator?  All that said, I agree with you to shut him down not would be a further PR disaster.  The NFL is stuck with this and once it blows over, they will put rules in place to prevent this from happening again.

And, as this story says, Buffalo fans were not happy with the protest, confirming that it is not popular.

Bills fans boo Colin Kaepernick, chant 'USA' before he kneels
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17807180/buffalo-bills-fans-chant-usa-coin-kaepernick-san-francisco-49ers-kneels

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Before San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick knelt during the national anthem of Sunday's game against the Buffalo Bills, a loud chant of "USA, USA" rang out at New Era Field.

To some, the implication was that the chants were intended to question Kaepernick's patriotism for his protest of racial inequality and oppression in the United States. It's an implication Kaepernick vehemently disagreed with after San Francisco's 45-16 loss.

And Kap terrible game today says this might be over in a few weeks when he is cut and no one picks him up.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #469 on: October 16, 2016, 10:46:30 PM »
It's a private business, not a government.  They can impose this rule if they like.  As noted earlier, the NBA has specific rules about standing for the Anthem.  Is Adam Silver a dictator?  All that said, I agree with you to shut him down not would be a further PR disaster.  The NFL is stuck with this and once it blows over, they will put rules in place to prevent this from happening again.

I'm aware it's a private business and they are within their right to do so. That still doesn't change the fact that people are demanding that someone be made to stand for the national anthem against their will and be punished with fines and possible termination from employment. People are demanding that the NFL act in the same way that a dictator or fascist would.

I would be surprised if the NBA actually tried to enforce this rule when it came to these protests. I think the rules are there because there are two different countries represented in the NBA. They want to make sure players don't show disrespect for a foreign nation by not paying attention. If a player took a knee because they didn't want to participate in the anthem for political reasons, I don't think the NBA would enforce it.

And, as this story says, Buffalo fans were not happy with the protest, confirming that it is not popular.

Ah Buffalo, the center of culture and tolerance in America. (Just making a joke, not a point)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 10:53:50 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #470 on: October 16, 2016, 11:43:26 PM »

I would be surprised if the NBA actually tried to enforce this rule when it came to these protests. I think the rules are there because there are two different countries represented in the NBA. They want to make sure players don't show disrespect for a foreign nation by not paying attention. If a player took a knee because they didn't want to participate in the anthem for political reasons, I don't think the NBA would enforce it.

There almost surely will be NBA players who protest during the anthem, and Silver almost surely will not punish them.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #471 on: October 17, 2016, 08:50:08 AM »
There almost surely will be NBA players who protest during the anthem, and Silver almost surely will not punish them.

Not sure I agree that this is how this will play out. It will be very interesting, but the NBA has very strict policy around the anthem, dress code, etc. With the new CBA under negotiation I could see this blowing up into some sort of leveraged position for both sides. I don't see the NBA just saying, sure do whatever.

*Making no argument whether they should or not, just a prognostication on whether they will.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #472 on: October 17, 2016, 09:12:10 PM »
Not sure I agree that this is how this will play out. It will be very interesting, but the NBA has very strict policy around the anthem, dress code, etc. With the new CBA under negotiation I could see this blowing up into some sort of leveraged position for both sides. I don't see the NBA just saying, sure do whatever.

*Making no argument whether they should or not, just a prognostication on whether they will.

Based on how the league took no action when the Clippers protested Owner McRacist, it would be hard to believe they would punish somebody who didn't stand for the anthem. But yes, I agree, I don't really know how it would be handled until it happens. It will be interesting.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #473 on: October 17, 2016, 09:13:41 PM »
I think the rules are there because there are two different countries represented in the NBA. They want to make sure players don't show disrespect for a foreign nation by not paying attention. If a player took a knee because they didn't want to participate in the anthem for political reasons, I don't think the NBA would enforce it.

No, it was a reaction to Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf 1993 National Anthem protests, which were almost identical to Kap's protest today.

Abdul-Rauf (who went by Chris Jackson when he was a team-mate of Shaq at LSU) ... from his wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahmoud_Abdul-Rauf

Abdul-Rauf is perhaps best known for the controversy created when he refused to stand for "The Star-Spangled Banner" before games,[40] stating that the flag was a symbol of oppression and that the United States had a long history of tyranny. He said that standing to the national anthem would therefore conflict with his Islamic beliefs. On March 12, 1996, the NBA suspended Abdul-Rauf one game for his refusal to stand. Two days later, the league was able to work out a compromise with him, whereby he would stand during the playing of the national anthem but could close his eyes and look downward. He usually silently recited Islamic Prayer during this time.

In an apparent publicity stunt linked to this controversy, four employees of Denver's KBPI radio station were charged with misdemeanor offenses related to entering a Colorado mosque and playing "The Star-Spangled Banner" on a bugle and trumpet, in a provocative response to Abdul-Rauf's refusal to stand for the national anthem.[42] Like Abdul-Rauf, the DJs were briefly suspended but ultimately they publicly apologized and reconciled with the mosque community.

-------------------
So is he NBA a bunch of fascists dictators?  Again, they are a private organization and can do what they want.  And when they suspended Abdul-Rauf, it was very popular.

Nothing is new, and eventually Kap will be suspended like Abdul-Rauf.  Kap just hasn't pissed off enough people yet, but he's working on it.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 09:16:34 PM by Jesse Livermore »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #474 on: October 17, 2016, 09:15:12 PM »
No, it was a reaction to Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf 1993 Noational Anthe protests, which were almost identical to Kap's potest today.

Abdul-Rauf (who went by Chris Jackson when he was a team-mate of Shaq at LSU) ... from his wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahmoud_Abdul-Rauf

Abdul-Rauf is perhaps best known for the controversy created when he refused to stand for "The Star-Spangled Banner" before games,[40] stating that the flag was a symbol of oppression and that the United States had a long history of tyranny. He said that standing to the national anthem would therefore conflict with his Islamic beliefs. On March 12, 1996, the NBA suspended Abdul-Rauf one game for his refusal to stand. Two days later, the league was able to work out a compromise with him, whereby he would stand during the playing of the national anthem but could close his eyes and look downward. He usually silently recited Islamic Prayer during this time.

In an apparent publicity stunt linked to this controversy, four employees of Denver's KBPI radio station were charged with misdemeanor offenses related to entering a Colorado mosque and playing "The Star-Spangled Banner" on a bugle and trumpet, in a provocative response to Abdul-Rauf's refusal to stand for the national anthem.[42] Like Abdul-Rauf, the DJs were briefly suspended but ultimately they publicly apologized and reconciled with the mosque community.

-------------------
So is he NBA a bunch of fascists dictators?  Again, they are a private organization and can do what they want.  And when they suspended Abdul-Rauf, it was very popular.

Nothing is new, and eventually Kap will be suspended like Abdul-Rauf.  Kap just hasn't pissed off enough people yet, bu he's working on it.

Kap's not getting suspended. 

feedback