collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Football Ratings Are Down  (Read 105594 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: Football Ratings Are Down
« Reply #375 on: October 07, 2016, 01:35:31 PM »
I was going to post this idea about a week ago, but was enjoying watching the dumpster fire. 

This is a large contributing factor along with....its an election year.  As others have shown, ratings were down in 2012 also.  The two combined easily explain this years downturn.

I don't think the election year matters (other than the overlap with the debates but even if that is backed out they are down).

As I noted above the dip in the TV ratings in 2012 was the replacement refs and the customers turning off the games (culminating with the "fail Mary" game screwing the Packers out of a win).

If anything it shows the NFL fans do protest by not watching.  They did it four years ago protesting replacement refs.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #376 on: October 07, 2016, 02:58:56 PM »
I don't think the election year matters (other than the overlap with the debates but even if that is backed out they are down).

As I noted above the dip in the TV ratings in 2012 was the replacement refs and the customers turning off the games (culminating with the "fail Mary" game screwing the Packers out of a win).

If anything it shows the NFL fans do protest by not watching.  They did it four years ago protesting replacement refs.

You do realize you can't arbitrarily decide what caused the declines right? 

Another contributing factor.  Millenials don't like to sit and watch one thing.  They always are doing many things and the youngest prefer to just get score updates, not watch the events themselves.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #377 on: October 07, 2016, 03:07:43 PM »

Why did NFL ratings also dip during the weeks before the 2000 election?

And how do you explain the growth in cable news ratings that corresponds with the NFL ratings decline?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #378 on: October 07, 2016, 03:10:35 PM »
There are many many that support Kap, but don't want to get involved.  If the NFL tries to suppress them, they likely will change their minds as a way to oppose what they view as a systematic suppression of minority views.

Regardless of how they feel about Kaepernick, players wouldn't let pass such a clear violation of the CBA.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #379 on: October 07, 2016, 03:12:18 PM »
Why did NFL ratings also dip during the weeks before the 2000 election?

And how do you explain the growth in cable news ratings that corresponds with the NFL ratings decline?

That can't be it, because Heisy doesn't think the election year matters. Clear, empirical proof.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #380 on: October 07, 2016, 03:32:25 PM »
The NFL issued a memo to team owners today about the ratings. They blame a number of factors, but primarily the election.
One factor they don't blame? Anthem protests.
Probably just Goodell appeasing the left wing sports media.

As for a potential backlash by some viewers angered at players not standing for the national anthem to protest of police brutality, the NFL said it sees no evidence to that being a factor in declining ratings: “In fact, our own data shows that the perception of the NFL and its players is actually up in 2016.”
http://www.wsj.com/articles/nfl-executives-blame-confluence-of-events-for-ratings-declines-1475853435

Here's the memo:
https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/784428496089182208/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 03:35:02 PM by Pakuni »

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #381 on: October 07, 2016, 03:41:37 PM »
The NFL issued a memo to team owners today about the ratings. They blame a number of factors, but primarily the election.
One factor they don't blame? Anthem protests.
Probably just Goodell appeasing the left wing sports media.

As for a potential backlash by some viewers angered at players not standing for the national anthem to protest of police brutality, the NFL said it sees no evidence to that being a factor in declining ratings: “In fact, our own data shows that the perception of the NFL and its players is actually up in 2016.”
http://www.wsj.com/articles/nfl-executives-blame-confluence-of-events-for-ratings-declines-1475853435

Here's the memo:
https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/784428496089182208/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

While I wholeheartedly support you guys in this fight, I doubt highly that even if internally the NFL thought the protests were having an impact that they would say anything about it as it would just make things worse.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #382 on: October 07, 2016, 03:56:45 PM »
There are many many that support Kap, but don't want to get involved.  If the NFL tries to suppress them, they likely will change their minds as a way to oppose what they view as a systematic suppression of minority views.

I'll let you get off easy with this one(many many??) only if I can use it in one of my future arguments.
don't...don't don't don't don't

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #383 on: October 07, 2016, 05:02:08 PM »
While I wholeheartedly support you guys in this fight, I doubt highly that even if internally the NFL thought the protests were having an impact that they would say anything about it as it would just make things worse.

That's certainly possible.
Then again, if that were the case, then Goodell is lying to his employers about a matter that could cost them quite a bit of money. That would be mighty ballsy.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #384 on: October 07, 2016, 05:25:34 PM »
That's certainly possible.
Then again, if that were the case, then Goodell is lying to his employers about a matter that could cost them quite a bit of money. That would be mighty ballsy.

Or he's telling them privately but not putting it out publicly where it could reflect even more negatively on the product and league.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #385 on: October 07, 2016, 06:45:02 PM »
Last night's NFL football game was a ratings disaster.

http://programminginsider.com/ratings/final-nationals/thursday-final-nationals-red-sox-indians-game-1-tbs-tops-night-cable/

After a one-week hiatus, “Thursday Night Football” returned to a CBS/NFL Network multi-cast with the Arizona Cardinals versus the San Francisco 49ers. CBS still won the evening overall but the game suffered huge viewership declines (more than 20 percent) compared to the year-ago TNF game, Indianapolis-Houston (10/08/15).

However, at the same time that was happening, the Boston/Cleveland baseball ALDS was getting blow out ratings (for baseball)

Game 1 of MLB’s “American League Division Series” between the Boston Red Sox and the Cleveland Indians led the network to win prime time in the cable universe and earning significant viewer gains from the two most recent prime time ALDS Game 1s: FS1’s Houston-Kansas City (3.3 million) from 10/08/15 and TBS’s Kansas City-L.A. Angels (4.153 million) from 10/02/14. Cleveland ranked as the top local market with a 25.4 rating, the highest for a baseball game in the market since 2007 (ALCS Game 7) (Source: Turner Sports); Boston delivered a 16.0 rating, its highest rated MLB game since the 2013 World Series (Game 6) (Source: Turner Sports).

So the public is running away from football and tuning into baseball (relatively speaking).  As noted above, that did not happen last year (or any other year in recent years).

And regarding football, college football ratings are actually up this year as the NFL is down 10+%.

(Last line)

The public still likes football, just not the NFL.  The public is regaining interest in baseball, and losing interest in the NFL

So what is it about the NFL specifically this year that is seeing a ratings decline that college football is not seeing?  College football fans do not care about the election while NFL fans do?

How about last night's NFL game that saw an epic 20% decline while baseball's ratings were booming?

There is an easy answer that everyone sees and no one wants to admit .... Kapernick's team was playing last night.  Either that or another Trump/Clinton debate was on last night I overlooked.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 08:31:28 PM by Jesse Livermore »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #386 on: October 07, 2016, 07:47:06 PM »
You do realize you can't arbitrarily decide what caused the declines right? 

Another contributing factor.  Millenials don't like to sit and watch one thing.  They always are doing many things and the youngest prefer to just get score updates, not watch the events themselves.

You are dead on about the millennials-I've never seen so much channel surfing in my life and they had to have invented NFL red zone
don't...don't don't don't don't

MU82

• All American
« Reply #387 on: October 07, 2016, 11:23:46 PM »
Commies are killing the NFL.

Fact.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #388 on: October 07, 2016, 11:36:52 PM »
No one wants to watch an NFL game that is all punts between one okay team and one of the worst teams in the NFL.

I'm Mr. Football, and turned off that crap after 5 minutes, didn't come back.

This. Is. Not. Hard.

People exposed over and over to a bad product will choose not to consume it.

Badgerhoney

• Walk-On
« Reply #389 on: October 07, 2016, 11:59:52 PM »
You guys for real?

The NFL says it isn't so, thus it isn't so?  They didn't see the Ray Rice video.  Concussions aren't a problem.  CTE isn't caused by football. 

There seem to be two camps here.   A liberal camp that denies the protests have any impact at all.  None. Zero.  A conservative camp that says the protests are part of the reason, but there are other reasons, too.   Which side is taking a more ridiculous position.

While we are at it, for those bringing up the 2012 election, why were NFL ratings unchanged or improved in 2004 and 2008?  Was there not a major election in 2008 featuring the first African American president to take the eyes off football?

Can someone explain why baseball ratings this year during the election are up?  Do baseball fans not care about politics?  Up over 5%.

There are a number of reasons why the ratings are down.  Election politics.  Boring games.  Dumb new rules (kickoffs, too much passing, putting skirts on QBs).  And yes, protests by players.   All the above.  Only an idiot would ignore the data, the polling, the real reactions by fans on the protests and say it has zero play.  For the same reason, only an idiot would claim the protests are the only reason for the ratings drop.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #390 on: October 08, 2016, 08:51:29 AM »
An early season matchup of 1-3 teams featuring a QB battle between Blaine Gabbert and Drew Stanton had 7.5 million more viewers than a playoff game between the 2nd and 10th most popular teams in baseball (via Harris Poll).
Panic.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #391 on: October 08, 2016, 10:51:04 AM »
I love this the most.  I wonder how many new posters will be banned in the future because you think they are me (it actually is me this time).

Awesome

Love

Chicos

I'm willing to guarantee that absolutely zero new posters will be banned in the future because of who MU82 thinks they are.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #392 on: October 08, 2016, 10:54:43 AM »
I love this the most.  I wonder how many new posters will be banned in the future because you think they are me (it actually is me this time).

Awesome

Love

Chicos

So either...

1. Chicos is reading this thread, like a kid locked out of a candy store, and decided to create a new ID to tell us that he is NOT "bma77."

or

2. Chicos is bma77 and created another ID to deny that fact.

Either way it is quite pathetic. 

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #393 on: October 08, 2016, 10:59:46 AM »
An early season matchup of 1-3 teams featuring a QB battle between Blaine Gabbert and Drew Stanton had 7.5 million more viewers than a playoff game between the 2nd and 10th most popular teams in baseball (via Harris Poll).
Panic.

So if you worked for the NFL marketing and were shown the 20% drop from a year earlier, you would be shrugging your shoulders.

If you were, you would be updating your resume today.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #394 on: October 08, 2016, 11:01:45 AM »
So if you worked for the NFL marketing and were shown the 20% drop from a year earlier, you would be shrugging your shoulders.

If you were, you would be updating your resume today.

So if you were in NFL marketing, what would you do?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #395 on: October 08, 2016, 11:04:52 AM »

So if you were in NFL marketing, what would you do?

Saying things have to change ASAP.  I would be on the phone to DeMorris Smith (head of the NFL Player Union) explaining to him that if this decline continues it is going to affect his members paychecks and ask him what he can do to help "correct" some of the things that are believed to be hurting ratings.  And, yes that suggests Kaepernick back off. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #396 on: October 08, 2016, 11:09:20 AM »
Saying things have to change ASAP.  I would be on the phone to DeMorris Smith (head of the NFL Player Union) explaining to him that if this decline continues it is going to affect his members paychecks and ask him what he can do to help "correct" some of the things that are believed to be hurting ratings.  And, yes that suggests Kaepernick back off. 

How is it going to affect their contracts?  Television contracts are set for years.  Furthermore, you think the union is going to accept MORE disciplinary procedures from Goddell and Co?

DeMaurice would be laughing his a$$ off too much to be able to hang the phone up.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #397 on: October 08, 2016, 11:33:29 AM »

How is it going to affect their contracts?  Television contracts are set for years.  Furthermore, you think the union is going to accept MORE disciplinary procedures from Goddell and Co?

DeMaurice would be laughing his a$$ off too much to be able to hang the phone up.

Not hey are not, they are contingent on ratings.  That is why they league is fearing it soon will have "give backs" free commercials to make up for the lack of ratings.

Morris is a reasonable businessman that understands reality and it is not driven by political ideology like you.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #398 on: October 08, 2016, 11:36:51 AM »
Baldwin even came out and said an owner publicly telling players to clamp it down.  This was on HBO Wed.  Now tell me, if the protests had no effect, why are the owners privately threatening the players?  Lol.  No need to threaten if no harm is being done....except harm is being done.   People are in denial to suggest otherwise.

I guess he did not get the memo that Kaepernick has nothing to do with the decline in ratings.

Seahawks Doug Baldwin Tells Bill Simmons At Least One NFL Owner is Forcing Players to Stand For Anthem

http://www.mediaite.com/online/seahawks-doug-baldwin-tells-bill-simmons-at-least-one-nfl-owner-is-forcing-players-to-stand-for-anthem/

Seattle Seahawks wide receiver Doug Baldwin is accusing NFL owners of interfering with National Anthem protests, claiming that at least one is forcing his players to stand.

In an excerpt of the latest episode of Any Given Wednesday which will air later tonight on HBO, Baldwin told host Bill Simmons that multiple owners have told players to “do specific things,” during the Anthem.

“There are some owners out there that have taken a stand and told players to do certain things which I think is egregious.” Baldwin said.

Simmons asked Baldwin to elaborate, which was when the Seahawks wideout made the claim that one owner is forcing his players to stand.

“Specifically, regarding the National Anthem and the protests, the one quote that I was informed of was, ‘You’re going to stand on the line with your hand on your heart and you’re going to sing the National Anthem because this is my stage,’” Baldwin said.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #399 on: October 08, 2016, 11:38:15 AM »
Not hey are not, they are contingent on ratings.  That is why they league is fearing it soon will have "give backs" free commercials to make up for the lack of ratings.

How does the various networks giving away commercial time affect the NFLPA income?  Does the NFL get paid less for rights fees?  I don't think so.  If the NFL's income is unchanged, it doesn't affect the salary cap and therefore doesn't impact player income.

Morris is a reasonable businessman that understands reality and it is not driven by political ideology like you.

Again, it's DeMaurice.  My guess is the first way to get the guy to listen to you would be to at least get his name right.

feedback