Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Is Next Year the Rebuilding Year We Expected This Year?  (Read 7178 times)

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Is Next Year the Rebuilding Year We Expected This Year?
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2010, 03:32:32 PM »
The idea that next year will or will not be "rebuilding" .. that assumes the year prior "built" something, specifically, freshman-juniors who come back and contribute.  We've got 4 guys that fit that mold, ranging from instant starters in DJO and JButler .. to a couple of role players who will get more time.

So I'd say .. yep, we're rebuilding next year.

By that logic -- replacing huge fractions of minutes played and points scored -- didn't MU just complete a rebuilding year?   This year MU successfully replaced 66% of its scoring, 49% of its rebounding, and 60% of its minutes played (and no I didn't count Pat Hazel's numbers in those calculations  ;D )

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2010, 04:44:44 PM »
Your point on senior leadership is spot-on....that's my biggest concern with the team next season. This year's seniors clearly relished the leadership role for the program and as 4-year players in the program there was a natural progression.  Next year, who knows

I don't think that Acker's progression was that of a natural 4 year player (transfer) and DC had two shoulder injuries.  Butler and Fulce played a lot of minutes at a level that while not big east caliber is still better than high school their freshman years.  I don't understand why anyone would doubt their ability to show a typical JR to SR progression.  They will have their 3rd year in buzz's system and don't forget that one of the reasons that a 4th year player takes a step forward is because they are 22.  They still have the same number of years in a weight program.

If Otule is still looking like a project next year than he'll probably always be one.  Hopefully DJO dramatically improves on D.  And finally the guy everyone is sleeping on, EWill.  He'll be a big time player next year and will get more time at the 5 than Yous and possibly Otule.

I think we are slightly worse than this year and are holding our breath on selection sunday.

WISportsmaniac

• Walk-On
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2010, 12:07:09 PM »
Put simply, our entire roster needs to improve- period. That fact doesn't scare me though...

Jimmy and DJO need to lead, both on the court and off. We need more consistency with them, but I think we can get it.  My prediction- about the same record, maybe a couple more wins. Here's why:

-I think the 2010-11 version of Byucks can be a better asset than Cubi. Needs to play better D, but I think in a bigger role he'll be more assertive- take more shots and slash to the basket. He's capable of scoring, but I think he was a little intimidated as a role player this year- didn't try to score enough.

- Barring any health issues, I think Otule will give us a huge lift- maybe not in points, but he will give us some paint touches on offense, which Buzz always talks about, and a legitimate presence on defense. I don't think he's a GREAT defender right now but he means more than just 5 fouls and looking lost on D (he has some idea of what he needs to do). He should be able to give us a better rebounding edge. He'll also allow guys like Jimmy and Fulce to be guarded by people who play their same position, as opposed to the other team's big guy- so they will hopefully be able to make more plays.

-Outside of DJO, Byucks, and Jimmy, there's at least one pleasant surprise somewhere. Buzz/Todd's offseason program will produce some capable players. I don't see Fulce being more than a solid bench player, but EWill could make a big jump from yr1 to yr2 if he gets some understanding of team defense. Defense is the main reason he wasn't on the floor this year. 

-I also think people are much too hard on Junior after what he went through as a Freshman. What we saw this year was what we would have seen vs. MSOE, Grambling, South Dakota, and the Old Spice Games had he been healthy. The practice and game experience he missed was invaluable to a true freshman. I'm not saying he'll be a stud, but I think the criticism is premature.   

- I'm not sure about Vander. The WI competition makes it hard to get a good prediction of what he'll accomplish right away in the BE. I agree with those who have him as a solid contributor at the end of the year. I doubt he'll crack the starting lineup though. 

Overall, we'll be bigger and deeper- basically the roots of all our problems this year. That's why I say we're about the same. Hopefully the depth can make us a bigger threat in March. This program desperately needs a sweet 16. OK, let the bashing begin- what am I right/wrong about? 

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2010, 12:54:20 PM »
Your point on senior leadership is spot-on....that's my biggest concern with the team next season. This year's seniors clearly relished the leadership role for the program and as 4-year players in the program there was a natural progression.  Next year, who knows

This is a bigger concern than height to me.

I think we are slightly worse than this year and are holding our breath on selection sunday.

Not with a 96 team tourney!  ;)

wojosdojo

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2010, 12:57:31 PM »
Damn right about sweet 16 but I do think Vander will start. I think that Buzz is thankful enought he chose MU and with the amount of props he's getting as a HS kid I think he can start. As we know Buzz, it all comes down to practice.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2010, 02:42:03 PM »
Take this with a grain of salt because I have only seen highlights of Blue on YouTube.  Buy he seems to have the "it" factor that is so key for a lot of players.  He seems to have court savvy and a lot of confidence to go along with his talent.  I am very excited to see him develop next year. 

He comes in as the third option at best so there is no pressure on him. He can fit right into the flow of the offense and learn his defensive role with DJO probably guarding the other team's best player.

He also guards one of the best scoring guard he will face all year every day in practice in DJO. 

goodgreatgrand

• Team Captain
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2010, 02:52:08 PM »
The problem with youtube is that it makes just about every h.s. player look like the next Michael Jordan. How does Vander Blue compare to the other freshmen coming into the BE next year? According to Scout, Syracuse, Louisville, and UConn have one or more players that are as good or better than him. It's just all relative.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2010, 03:43:01 PM »
We will miss Zar and experience but i think we should be much better rebounding with Otule and Crowder especially
Zar passed the leadership onto Butler & DJO. Buycks, fulce and Otule will also step up.

You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259