* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Big East 2024 Offseason by Lennys Tap
[June 02, 2024, 09:43:52 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by Skatastrophy
[June 02, 2024, 08:27:35 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 02, 2024, 09:27:42 AM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MUbiz
[June 01, 2024, 11:08:53 AM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Is Next Year the Rebuilding Year We Expected This Year?  (Read 7200 times)

StillWarriors

• All American
Is Next Year the Rebuilding Year We Expected This Year?
« on: March 19, 2010, 09:33:40 AM »
As hard as it is to get over last night's loss, I can't help but try to look forward to next year. Given the incredible year that Cooby and Mo had in terms of handling the ball and shooting, it will be interesting to see how it plays out with a young backcourt next year. My guess is expectations will be higher than they were going into this year b/c of the depth, size (at guard) and the caliber of the recruits, but I think that may overlook the value of experience that Mo, Cooby and Lazar brought to the table.

I suspect next year will be a mix of flashes of incredible ability and signs of greatness with maddening inconsistency, mental lapses and turnovers. That doesn't mean the new guys won't be great, but it is a process. After the surprising play this year, I wonder if we all will have a more difficult time keeping expectations in check for the new crew.

The current crew and those of the last several years have set a high standard in terms of playing their butts off and the way they represent MU. I hope the new guys can carry on that tradition.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
Re: Is Next Year the Rebuilding Year We Expected This Year?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 09:40:46 AM »
When you throw in how well we played this year, with the exceptional recruiting class coming in, I think expectations may be a little high come August/September when people start thinking about the league.

That said, I have a feeling we'll be around 8-10 next year pre-season...and that may be too high considering the backcourt control we're losing.

Shack

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 09:43:46 AM »
Good questions.  I personally expect Fulce, Byucks and Butler to step up the same way Mo and Cooby did.  Obviously replacing Lazar is the tough one, but Blue, Jones, Crowder, and Cadougan will give us a look and depth that we didn't have this year either.  Honestly it all depends on how the rest of the teams in the Big East are projected to do.  I think the results will be very similar to this year, with MU being bubble team until the end.  The year after  we could be really really good and a solid top 15 team (3-4 seed in the tourney).  

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 09:45:50 AM »
We also had a bit of an easy schedule this year.  If you look at the schedule we played, most of our tough games were at home in conference.

Syracuse - Away
WVU - A
Villanova - H&A
Pitt - H
Louisville - H
Georgetown - H
Notre Dame - H
South Florida - H
Seton Hall - A
Cincinnati - A
St. Johns - A
Rutgers - A
Providence - H&A
De Paul - H&A

Basically, against the top 8 teams, we had a 6-3 home away ratio.  3-6 with the bottom seven.  That was very beneficial for us.  Who knows what it'll be next year?

mugrad99

• Team Captain
player development
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 09:47:41 AM »
On the bright side, I think our current coach is good at player development. Hopefully a few (Junior, Erik, one more) will step up like Hayawrd, Butler, Cubillan, Acker did from the previous year.

wojosdojo

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 09:56:26 AM »
If Buzz can do what he did this year in the off season, I like our chances. Right now I only see two scoring threats, Jimmy (if not playing like yesterday) and DJO. I havent seen Vander play or really any of the new guys. We'll be young, and doubted, something that doesnt change. But, you see, here at Marquette we tend to prove people wrong. God, I'm gunna miss Zar.

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 10:12:54 AM »
My greatest concern right now with next year is the absolute disappearance of Jimmy Butler of the cousre of the last 5 games.

We will miss maturity in the back court but we will be more talented.  As much as i love Cooby the argument can be made he was still the worst starting 2g in the conference.  Mo did a great job running the team but was vastly deficient in other areas especially the defensive side.  Mo and Cooby avergaed about 14 points  a game combined.  And while cooby had bright spots on D at times they combined gave up way more than that.     

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 10:42:08 AM »
I think we'll see a very similar season to this year.  DJO and Butler will need to carry the load and need to be big presences on floor.  They can't afford to disappear. Buycks, Blue, and Caduogan will need to fill in strongly. Fulce and Otule need to be competent down low.  A lot more options and depth next year and a ton of upside.  I'm glad I trust our coach.

I'll set the goal as a 6th consecutive NCAA appearance.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 10:44:58 AM »
We will miss Zar and experience but i think we should be much better rebounding with Otule and Crowder especially
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

State Street Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 11:14:08 AM »
I think next year will be the rebuilding year, that being said, hopefully we can do it on the fly again like this year but think about it.  This year was supposed to be the year a new back court got experience, but Mo and Coobie played so well and the injuries to Jr kept that from happening as much as we expected.  Add in the injury to Otule and some of the pieces we needed to get experience just didn't have the opportunity to do so.  I think agree we will be the 8-10 part of the conference next year.  Other than Jimmy struggling at the end of the year you have to be excited for the second half of the season next year.  We will obviously have to deal with some rebuilding and youth issues early on but I think the DJO and DB got enough experience to help the new guards develop.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 11:18:47 AM »
Next year's team will be rebuilding. Yes, the overall talent is much improved, but still isn't the go to big man. Or, more importantly, we don't have the dominant rebounder or frontcourt eraser to correct defensive mistakes. Unfortunately, I don't see any senior leadership either. No one has been in the program long enough. For that, the blame lies squarely with Crean. Buzz is on the right track. Just needs 2 more solid recruiting classes and more flexibility with his roster.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 11:30:45 AM »
While we will not be as decimated as last year we still will be losing 48% of our minutes played, 46% of our points and 33% of our rebounds.  There are many quality teams who will be returning much more.  As a result I believe those who say we start out the year ranked in the top 15 are in for a disappointment.  That said we now have a coach is considered much more of a known commodity.  I would expect us to start the year just outside the top 25.  I think we will be picked to finish in the top half of the BE (better than 12th but maybe not even 5th)
For those who said we were a young team last year (which wasn't completely true, new but not young) we will rely on freshman more next year.
My expectations would be NCAA.  With another solid recruiting class and depending on how next year's version goes the bigger hype is probably another year away.  Enjoy the ride.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 11:42:03 AM »
There's no chance MU is ranked in the top 10-15 to start next year.  As NAA pointed out, we just lost 48% of our minutes played, 46% of our points.    Yeah, it's a highly touted group of kids coming in, but completely untested.

The idea that next year will or will not be "rebuilding" .. that assumes the year prior "built" something, specifically, freshman-juniors who come back and contribute.  We've got 4 guys that fit that mold, ranging from instant starters in DJO and JButler .. to a couple of role players who will get more time.

So I'd say .. yep, we're rebuilding next year.

State Street Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2010, 11:44:45 AM »
While we will not be as decimated as last year we still will be losing 48% of our minutes played, 46% of our points and 33% of our rebounds.  There are many quality teams who will be returning much more.  As a result I believe those who say we start out the year ranked in the top 15 are in for a disappointment.  That said we now have a coach is considered much more of a known commodity.  I would expect us to start the year just outside the top 25.  I think we will be picked to finish in the top half of the BE (better than 12th but maybe not even 5th)
For those who said we were a young team last year (which wasn't completely true, new but not young) we will rely on freshman more next year.
My expectations would be NCAA.  With another solid recruiting class and depending on how next year's version goes the bigger hype is probably another year away.  Enjoy the ride.

I think people are saying preseason top 10 in the Big East.  I can't imagine anyone thinking preseason top 15 nationaly.  I wouldn't be surprised if we hang around just outside the top 25 for a while next year though.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2010, 12:07:30 PM »
 I think we will be worse off next year than this year. DJO and Butler will have to be the offensive focal points, yet we have a lot of unknowns. We have plenty of freshman coming in in Blue, Jones, Smith, and Newbill. Additionally Otule hasn't really played much for us and Mbao I don't see getting quality minutes until his junior year, if that.

Guard play is what takes you deep in the tourney as was highlighted yesterday with Georgetown and Vandy having bigs but their guards were outplayed.

Having more depth would have helped tremendously, seeing that Butler and Hayward played defense 60% of the time due to foul trouble or worrying about fouling. All that being said, it is hard to prognosticate given that several of the bottom feeders may lose/gain recruits due to coaching changes, as well as the top teams losing players. Plus, as was noted earlier what will our schedule look like.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2010, 12:13:45 PM »
If we somehow can take out Jim Burr, that should be good for an additional 4-5 victories.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2010, 12:33:03 PM »
My greatest concern right now with next year is the absolute disappearance of Jimmy Butler of the cousre of the last 5 games.

We will miss maturity in the back court but we will be more talented.  As much as i love Cooby the argument can be made he was still the worst starting 2g in the conference.  Mo did a great job running the team but was vastly deficient in other areas especially the defensive side.  Mo and Cooby avergaed about 14 points  a game combined.  And while cooby had bright spots on D at times they combined gave up way more than that.     
Whaddya' think?  Did JB just get worn down?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2010, 12:41:03 PM »
Maybe he just listened to Miley Cyrus too often or read too many children's books.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

d6

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2010, 01:09:31 PM »
I'm just guessing, but I would think that blow to the face had some impact on Butler.  For a while, he played the first half with one nostril plugged to stem the bleeding.  That first half was as up-and-down as I've seen this year.  Perhaps that helped to wind him, as did having to play against the explosive Pondexter.  Maybe I see things differently, but I don't think Butler was as AWFUL as many seem to suggest.  Winded yes, but not awful. 

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2010, 01:18:17 PM »
We also had a bit of an easy schedule this year.  If you look at the schedule we played, most of our tough games were at home in conference.

Syracuse - Away
WVU - A
Villanova - H&A
Pitt - H
Louisville - H
Georgetown - H
Notre Dame - H
South Florida - H
Seton Hall - A
Cincinnati - A
St. Johns - A
Rutgers - A
Providence - H&A
De Paul - H&A

Basically, against the top 8 teams, we had a 6-3 home away ratio.  3-6 with the bottom seven.  That was very beneficial for us.  Who knows what it'll be next year?

I'll try.
We'll be on the road at ND, either as part of a mirror series, or as a single game.
Exluding this year's mirrors games (DePaul, Providence, Villanova)...here's what it may look like

Away
Notre Dame
Louisville
Rutgers
Depaul (We've never NOT had DePaul as a mirror game since joining the Big East, IIRC)
Georgetown
Pittsburgh
USF

Home
Seton Hall
Cincinnati
West Virginia
Syracuse
Connecticut
St. John's

Unsure
Providence, Villanova
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 01:20:14 PM by notkirkcameron »
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2010, 01:20:45 PM »
If we somehow can take out Jim Burr, that should be good for an additional 4-5 victories.

And yet if Jim Burr was reffing our game last night, we might have had a few more calls go our way.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2010, 02:31:21 PM »
And yet if Jim Burr was reffing our game last night, we might have had a few more calls go our way.

Ha!  Doubt it. 

On second thought, you may be on to something...
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2010, 02:55:12 PM »
Two keys are replacing Hayward and the uncertainty at the PG position.

Can Crowder and maybe a new recruit come in and get the boards that Hayward provided.  Butler should maintain his points, but do not see him upgrading his rebound totals.  He is very soft, but good offensively. Hayward averaged what, 18 and 8?  With Otule as a project, that will be very hard to replace along with Hayward's leadership and making some very key baskets during the season.

Can Buycks or JC provide the stability required at such an important position?  I don't believe JC even made a basket this year in his limited time. That will be interesting next fall.

Unless a big PF comes on board somehow, I believe it will be a rebuilding year and don't forsee the success we had this year.  Hoping I am wrong though.

Eye

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2010, 03:09:38 PM »
Goal for me with MU almost every year simply will not be just to make the tournament. This year was an exception for most of the year, but that even changed as the year went along, and the wins over UL and 'nova raised my goals to a 1st-round win.

I haven't read this entire thread word for word, but I'm not seeing rebuilding here. Despite how much Acker and Cubillan overachieved this year, improved play from DJO and Buycks, a healthy Cadougan, and Blue, Jones, Smith and Newbill gives MU IMHO a potentially better backcourt. And despite the huge loss of Hayward, improvement from Butler, Fulce, Williams and Mbao, a healthy Otule and Crowder gives MU much more depth in the front court.

A few more wins overall, another win in the BE regular season and another win or two in the tournament, certainly seem within reach to me a year from now. No reason MU IMHO can't win something like 25 games instead of 22 next year.
GO WARRIORS!

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2010, 03:18:57 PM »
Next year's team will be rebuilding. Yes, the overall talent is much improved, but still isn't the go to big man. Or, more importantly, we don't have the dominant rebounder or frontcourt eraser to correct defensive mistakes. Unfortunately, I don't see any senior leadership either. No one has been in the program long enough. For that, the blame lies squarely with Crean. Buzz is on the right track. Just needs 2 more solid recruiting classes and more flexibility with his roster.

Your point on senior leadership is spot-on....that's my biggest concern with the team next season. This year's seniors clearly relished the leadership role for the program and as 4-year players in the program there was a natural progression.  Next year, who knows

feedback