[Today at 11:29:24 AM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by MUbiz
[Today at 10:38:12 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 10:31:55 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by lawdog77
[Today at 07:08:02 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Is the NBA draft lottery fixed?  (Read 3058 times)

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
Is the NBA draft lottery fixed?
« on: May 20, 2014, 10:11:30 PM »
Is the Draft lottery fixed? I really don't know. In some ways it seams like it really is rigged but I kind of find it hard to believe. Some things just don't seam right though like the NBA owned hornets getting the #1 pick. The cavs and bulls both getting #1 picks in order to pick the obvious top players from their hometowns(Lebron, DRose). Then the cavs doing the near impossible in getting 3 of the last 4 #1 picks after Lebron ditches them and Dan Gilbert makes a stink about it.

I don't know what to think, what's the consencus?

Skitch

• All American
Re: Is the NBA draft lottery fixed?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 10:15:00 PM »
I'm sure if you tried hard enough you could come up with a conspiracy theory that fit every team in the lottery.  Earlier today I read on Twitter that the Bucks new owners were promised that they would "win" the lottery which was the final selling point and made them willing to pay $550 million instead of the estimated $400 million value. 

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 10:20:40 PM »
I agree, a lot of the teams could fit into some sort of conspiracy theory. If the celtics or lakers won, it would be because they are big markets with large fan bases and a lot of history. And if the bucks won it could be because they want to transition into the new ownership.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 10:29:08 PM »
Maybe. But I think the bigger issue is that it rewards incompetence and tanking.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 10:32:36 PM »
Maybe. But I think the bigger issue is that it rewards incompetence and tanking.

I don't get why this argument comes up so much for the NBA but not in other sports.  At least in the NBA they give teams without the worst record to get the 1st pick overall vs. the NFL and such where it just goes strictly based off of record, where tanking is guaranteed to pay off.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 10:49:55 PM »
The difference between the NBA and NFL is that the NBA has way more games to tank. This is much worse for the fans who have to watch 82 pathetic games compared to just 16. The difference in win totals for an nfl team that tanks is maybe 2 or 3 games. A team good enough to win 5 games could tank and only win 2. But in the NBA a 40 win caliber team could tank and only win 20, that's a huge difference. Also in the nba 1 player can turn around a franchise, but it is harder for 1 rookie to turn around a football team.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 10:51:50 PM »
I don't get why this argument comes up so much for the NBA but not in other sports.  At least in the NBA they give teams without the worst record to get the 1st pick overall vs. the NFL and such where it just goes strictly based off of record, where tanking is guaranteed to pay off.

It's because a superstar/franchise player can put a bad team only a player or two away from contention in the NBA. A stud in the NFL is only one of 22 starters. (possible exception - Peyton Manning type QB available).

Sorry for being redundant - Celtic posted (the truth) while I was typing.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 10:53:49 PM by Lennys Tap »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 10:58:02 PM »
I don't get why this argument comes up so much for the NBA but not in other sports.  At least in the NBA they give teams without the worst record to get the 1st pick overall vs. the NFL and such where it just goes strictly based off of record, where tanking is guaranteed to pay off.

My apologies. I didn't mean to imply that it doesn't annoy me that similar circumstances occur in other sports as well. This thread just happened to be about the NBA draft.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 12:17:44 AM »
My apologies. I didn't mean to imply that it doesn't annoy me that similar circumstances occur in other sports as well. This thread just happened to be about the NBA draft.

I gotcha. I was just saying that in general I only hear people complain about tanking in the NBA, when the NBA is the only sport that at least gives teams a chance that didn't have the worst record in that sport.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2014, 12:39:01 AM »

In my mind it is because in the NBA, one player in the draft can make all the difference in the world.  In other sports, one player has a much tougher time being that important.  A QB, sure, but even QB's usually take a long time to develop and be consistently good (usually).

So the tanking process for other sports doesn't happen as much because usually it takes many players to turn around a team.  Remember, the NBA draft only has 2 rounds. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2014, 12:39:56 AM »
It's because a superstar/franchise player can put a bad team only a player or two away from contention in the NBA. A stud in the NFL is only one of 22 starters. (possible exception - Peyton Manning type QB available).

Sorry for being redundant - Celtic posted (the truth) while I was typing.

+1....I typed my response before reading the others.  Agree completely...scary, I used the QB example as well.  See, Lenny you and I are always thinking alike.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2014, 09:25:27 AM »

Personally, I think that a) it's difficult to recognize when a team is actually tanking and when a team just plain sucks and b) even if/when tanking is recognized, fans are much more tolerant of it when it happens in the NBA... heck even if it is the right thing to do, resting your starters in week 17 will always be a controversial move in the NFL.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2014, 03:23:18 PM »
b) even if/when tanking is recognized, fans are much more tolerant of it when it happens in the NBA...

It is also winked at in the NHL. See Toews' and Kane's nice little break for the last week+ of the regular season, once the Blackhawks playoff position was more or less locked in.

The NBA and NHL are also similar in how significantly the style of play changes once the playoffs start.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2014, 04:48:36 PM »
As a Cleveland resident, if the NBA is trying to help the Cavaliers out, I'd request that they quit fixing the draft lottery and start fixing the season and playoffs.  By now, it's pretty apparent that the Cavs' management is too inept to effectively take advantage of fixing of the lottery.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2014, 08:10:11 PM »
Oh, the lottery is absolutely fixed.

Because if there's one thing the NBA wants, it's a successful franchise in Cleveland.

Lakers? Celtics? Sixers? To heck with 'em! It's all about the Cavs.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2014, 08:27:13 PM »
As a Cleveland resident, if the NBA is trying to help the Cavaliers out, I'd request that they quit fixing the draft lottery and start fixing the season and playoffs.  By now, it's pretty apparent that the Cavs' management is too inept to effectively take advantage of fixing of the lottery.

A lot of the conspiracy talk is that Cleveland got the pick to get Lebron to go back home as the nucleus of talent is there.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2014, 08:36:08 PM »
So a 15 billion dollar business,  is gonna stake it's livelihood on a guess that one player will return home for a swan song for a few years.

Yeah,  totally makes sense.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2014, 08:37:09 PM »
So a 15 billion dollar business,  is gonna stake it's livelihood on a guess that one player will return home for a swan song for a few years.

Yeah,  totally makes sense.

Not my theory, trust me.  Just saying what some folks throw out there.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2014, 08:39:04 PM »
I loved the idea that Andy glockner was positing on Twitter the other day: LeBron taking 1 year contracts for different teams and trying to bring as many championships to as many teams as possible.I'd love to see LeBron on golden state, Phoenix, maybe Orlando in a few years.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2014, 09:08:06 AM »
I loved the idea that Andy glockner was positing on Twitter the other day: LeBron taking 1 year contracts for different teams and trying to bring as many championships to as many teams as possible.I'd love to see LeBron on golden state, Phoenix, maybe Orlando in a few years.

If ever there was going to be a conspiracy in the NBA, it would be to prevent LeBron from doing exactly that.

But my guess as to what's behind the curtain here is if you look at a cross-section of the NBA's fans, you're probably going to see a group of people with a predisposition to conspiracies, superstition and fables:

Lots of conspiracies in NASCAR, too, I hear.

And the NFL...

And the NHL (although the loopies in the hockey world have pretty much been quarantined to Eastern Michigan):

And no... I didn't forget to pick on baseball.  It's just that baseball fans are pretty well-grounded... it's the players themselves who are the whack jobs.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 09:14:40 AM by Benny B »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

feedback