Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bo Ryan's Final Game?  (Read 17442 times)

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Re: Bo Ryan's Final Game?
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2015, 11:56:26 AM »
If we're going to speculate on 67-year-old Bo, why not speculate on 68-year-old Coach K?  Yes, we've heard the comments about him coaching another five years, but those comments never came after a national title.  While Duke just reloads, he has three projected first round picks on the roster right now.  Given Coach Brey's great year, I tend to think a Coach K retirement this year would be positive for MU fans. 

I honestly think that when Coach K does retire, Duke stays away from the K coaching tree. Unless of course they take Wojo after his back to back national titles with MU.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2015, 11:57:24 AM »
Because K reloads every year and competes for the national championship every year.

After tonight, with all the seniors playing their last game, the bottom drops out for Wisconsin and they are a mid-pack B1G team next year.  Worse if Dekker leaves, NIT if Hayes leaves.

Did you ever think that he may just want to coach a little longer because he likes doing it?  I don't think most coaches only find occupational satisfaction from a championship.

And my guess is that if Bo is back next year, they will be top four in the B10 even if Dekker leaves.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2015, 11:58:16 AM »
I honestly think that when Coach K does retire, Duke stays away from the K coaching tree. Unless of course they take Wojo after his back to back national titles with MU.

And risk isolating Coach K, and all his friends that have written checks to support the program?

Not a chance.  I can't think of one legendary coach who retired without being replaced with a disciple from the coaching tree.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2015, 12:03:42 PM »

Did you ever think that he may just want to coach a little longer because he likes doing it?  I don't think most coaches only find occupational satisfaction from a championship.

And my guess is that if Bo is back next year, they will be top four in the B10 even if Dekker leaves.

We'll have this conservation in the fall but right now I'm looking at Marland in 2000 and Illinois in 2003, and Michigan in the last few years, as the model.  Great teams, bottom dropped out, NIT.

Wisconsin could be the next in this line.  But let's see who stays/goes grad transfers, juco first.

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2015, 12:10:26 PM »
Noodling this some more -- I can see why I would leave after accomplishing the best thing I can in my chosen field ... but I can also see the high of having done that making me want to do it again.

My vote is solidly "No". He doesn't retire after this year. Unless it's "yes".
Marquette Basketball on Reddit: http://reddit.com/r/mubb

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2015, 12:13:59 PM »
A lot of people are under the assumption that this Wisconsin team is Bo catching lightning in a bottle rather than the culmination of what he's done to build the program.  I think it's wishful thinking to assume that it's the former when in reality given the recent success it's more than likely the latter.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2015, 12:14:18 PM »
We'll have this conservation in the fall but right now I'm looking at Marland in 2000 and Illinois in 2003, and Michigan in the last few years, as the model.  Great teams, bottom dropped out, NIT.

Wisconsin could be the next in this line.  But let's see who stays/goes grad transfers, juco first.

The model is the 2012-13 Wisconsin Badger team, that after losing to Ole Miss in the first round of the NCAAs, graduated 3/5 of its starting line up in Berggeren, Brusewitz and Evans.

They were relying on this 10 mpg player named Frank Kaminsky and a couple returning players to step up.  And they went to a Final Four.

Now that's not going to happen, but Bo has never finished lower than fourth and has never not made the NCAA.  I am positive that streak will continue if he only loses Dekker as an underclassman.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2015, 12:15:51 PM »
A lot of people are under the assumption that this Wisconsin team is Bo catching lightning in a bottle rather than the culmination of what he's done to build the program.  I think it's wishful thinking to assume that it's the former when in reality given the recent success it's more than likely the latter.

Combination of both.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2015, 12:16:57 PM »
I can't think of one legendary coach who retired without being replaced with a disciple from the coaching tree.

Even the legend Stew Morrill was replaced by one of his assistants.
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/2344889-155/utah-state-assistant-duryea-will-replace

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2015, 12:29:52 PM »
Do people actually want Bo to retire? What happens after that? One of the best programs in the Big 10 over the last decade coming off a national championship is going have their pick of the litter. Most other coaches can and would pull AAs to Wisconsin and would set back the inroads Wojo has made on in-state talent coming to Marquette. Let's not assume that Bo retiring would benefit Marquette.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2015, 12:31:42 PM »

And risk isolating Coach K, and all his friends that have written checks to support the program?

Not a chance.  I can't think of one legendary coach who retired without being replaced with a disciple from the coaching tree.

John Wooden was replaced by Gene Bartow...who did considerably better than many "disciples" end up doing.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2015, 12:31:50 PM »
Do people actually want Bo to retire? What happens after that? One of the best programs in the Big 10 over the last decade coming off a national championship is going have their pick of the litter. Most other coaches can and would pull AAs to Wisconsin and would set back the inroads Wojo has made on in-state talent coming to Marquette. Let's not assume that Bo retiring would benefit Marquette.

They will hire Greg Gard. They aren't going outside the program.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2015, 12:34:40 PM »

Yep. Most of the pre-game and post-game quotes in Potrykus's articles this season have been from Gard.  Tell-tale sign of what will happen when Bo actually retires.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2015, 12:35:12 PM »
John Wooden was replaced by Gene Bartow...who did considerably better than many "disciples" end up doing.

That's right.  Thank you.

But that might serve as a cautionary tale.  Bartow was a real hot name at the time.  And after two years he was basically run out of the program and replaced by Gary Cunningham, Wooden's top assistant.

21rooster

• Starter
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2015, 12:37:06 PM »
Because K reloads every year and competes for the national championship every year.

After tonight, with all the seniors playing their last game, the bottom drops out for Wisconsin and they are a mid-pack B1G team next year.  Worse if Dekker leaves, NIT if Hayes leaves.

When is the last time the Badgers were a mid-pack B1G team?  They're not going to be this good next year, but Bo in the NCAA tournament is about as certain as it gets.  

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2015, 12:38:49 PM »
Not sure about this. While UW is in great shape under Bo, it's despite the poor recruiting. If Bo did leave after this season, who would you have coming in to replace him?

Not only would recruiting be an uphill battle, but you'd have to completely change the style of play. Think Rich Rod at Michigan. If you're holding out for a B1G job, Indiana certainly has a better national brand and recruiting base.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2015, 12:40:02 PM »
Combination of both.

I agree somewhat, but it's ironic considering the amount of cliches regarding 'respecting the process' with what MU and Wojo are doing when we've seen Bo's process play out successfully and it's dismissed as all the stars aligning.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2015, 12:45:26 PM »

That's right.  Thank you.

But that might serve as a cautionary tale.  Bartow was a real hot name at the time.  And after two years he was basically run out of the program and replaced by Gary Cunningham, Wooden's top assistant.

Bartow was 52-9 in two seasons at UCLA, with a Sweet Sixteen and a Final Four.
Cunningham was 50-8 in two seasons at UCLA, with a Sweet Sixteen and an Elite Eight.

I think the "cautionary" part was in getting rid of Bartow so quickly to bring in a disciple.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2015, 12:48:46 PM »
Bartow was 52-9 in two seasons at UCLA, with a Sweet Sixteen and a Final Four.
Cunningham was 50-8 in two seasons at UCLA, with a Sweet Sixteen and an Elite Eight.

I think the "cautionary" part was in getting rid of Bartow so quickly to bring in a disciple.

I don't disagree with you.  I think UCLA would have been much better off keeping Bartow.

My point is that its very, very difficult for a guy to come in from the outside even if they keep winning.  The boosters don't like them...the AD hears about it...the President hears about it... 

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2015, 12:52:09 PM »

I don't disagree with you.  I think UCLA would have been much better off keeping Bartow.

My point is that its very, very difficult for a guy to come in from the outside even if they keep winning.  The boosters don't like them...the AD hears about it...the President hears about it... 

True.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2015, 01:08:16 PM »
I agree somewhat, but it's ironic considering the amount of cliches regarding 'respecting the process' with what MU and Wojo are doing when we've seen Bo's process play out successfully and it's dismissed as all the stars aligning.

This is not Bo's "norm."  Bo's norm is competing for a B1G title and top 4 seed and then losing typically in the 2nd round or S16.  The last 2 years they are better than their norm, which is typically pretty dang good as it is.  But he will never coach another team this good.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2015, 01:25:29 PM »

I agree this is most likely.  Will it work?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2015, 01:30:02 PM »
Coach K will starting now will coach longer than Wojo.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2015, 01:32:42 PM »
I agree this is most likely.  Will it work?

That's a good question.  I have my doubts.  But if he sticks to his fundamentals based approach, he might do well.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2015, 01:54:38 PM »

That's a good question.  I have my doubts.  But if he sticks to his fundamentals based approach and recruits traditionals, he might do well.

FIFY.

In seriousness though, how many minority head coaches are there at UW-Madison?  At some point UW has to show some street cred in the circles of progressive academia, so the regents are going to have to hire a minority head coach eventually (whether their donor base will support it or not).  What better time to do it than on the heels of a national championship?

Even though he probably has no business coaching in Madison (not yet, anyway), I wouldn't put it past UW to move Jeter 60 miles west.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.