collapse

* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 16, 2024, 06:05:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: handball at the olympics  (Read 5660 times)

jaybilaswho?

• All American
handball at the olympics
« on: August 18, 2008, 09:08:33 AM »
Yesterday afternoon i turned on the olympics and they were showing handball. It is just like soccer, but you use your hands to pass and shot. Mixture really of soccer and water polo. I only saw women playing it so there may not be a mens side of this sport, but if there is this may be the average mans shot at making the olympics. I mean, I saw no athletic prowess involved in this sport other than running and throwing. It seems like anybody in average shape could play this and "excel" at it. Even the fat kid can play in goal.

This was such a weird sport to watch. I wonder if this is even around in the U.S.

Did anyone see this?

What other sports in the Olympics have you seen that the average man could excel in or are there any other bizarre sports out there?
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

Coach Norman Dale

• Starter
Re: handball at the olympics
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 09:26:00 AM »
I first saw this sport of team handball at the Pan American Games in Indianapolis in 1987, and my first reaction was the same as yours.  That is, I thought, if I could find a place to learn and play this game I could make it to the Olympics!  I still enjoy watching it.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 10:35:42 AM »
I was watching it too, and all of sudden the commentator said "____ has been called for traveling"

Traveling?  They are constantly running with the ball.  Apparently if you jump and don't pass the ball, it's traveling.

Hilarious

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 10:39:33 AM »
The ultimate mission of my generation needs to be getting Dodgeball on the Olympic roster.  This has to be done.   Some of these Olympic GAMES (in the truest form) are making the olympics humorous.  And I'd also like to see competitive Monopoly instituted by 2016.   
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 10:41:34 AM by Stone Cold »

reinko

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 10:46:39 AM »
This got me thinking about discontinued olympic sports.  Here is a list, and my favorite has to be from a hundred years, Tug of War.  That's amazing. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_sports#Discontinued_sports

gjreda

• Team Captain
  • I miss Real Chili.
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 12:14:33 PM »
I was watching it too, and all of sudden the commentator said "____ has been called for traveling"

Traveling?  They are constantly running with the ball.  Apparently if you jump and don't pass the ball, it's traveling.

Hilarious

You're allowed three steps too, but then you have to make a move - pass, dribble, shoot.  Something.  Otherwise you gotta give the ball up.

I was saying the same thing as you guys yesterday too.  I think I could be an Olympian in it as I've always been pretty good at throwing things fast and accurately.  I mean, that's pretty much all you need to be able to do for the sport.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 12:22:34 PM »
This got me thinking about discontinued olympic sports.  Here is a list, and my favorite has to be from a hundred years, Tug of War.  That's amazing. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_sports#Discontinued_sports

Not a fan of motorboating there Reinko?

reinko

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 12:42:35 PM »
Not a fan of motorboating there Reinko?

Only when it comes to Jane Seymour.  HI-OOOOO

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 09:34:56 PM »
Rawdog would kick ass at "dance dance revolution"

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 01:07:49 AM »
yeah... but Handball looks pretty fun

I feel that Rifle shooting doesn't belong in the same olympics as real athletic sports.  I know it takes talent, but a different kind, and an your average joe could be in it.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 03:48:44 PM »
Last night... I saw the 50k race-walk... it was speed walking... in the olympics, and they were talking about the lack of involvement by the USA in training people in this "sport"... Im sorry that not many Americans want to speed walk for a living.

Makes me scratch my head how this becomes an olympic sport, and how rugby isn't.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2008, 03:59:43 PM »
Last night... I saw the 50k race-walk... it was speed walking... in the olympics, and they were talking about the lack of involvement by the USA in training people in this "sport"... Im sorry that not many Americans want to speed walk for a living.

Makes me scratch my head how this becomes an olympic sport, and how rugby isn't.

You have to see this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP7umBNRxnw its a chinese prank show. they prank the speed walker with samurai's that chase him. The question: will he run or will he walk????
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

mu ball

• Walk-On
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2008, 04:52:35 PM »
If you had good speed, could catch, and have a strong accurate arm then you  could dominate that sport.