'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: It's official  (Read 22647 times)

The Process

• All American
Re: It's official
« Reply #100 on: December 13, 2012, 02:09:33 PM »
Marquette comes home to see Georgetown rolling around with UConn in the bedroom???

"It wasn't me."
Relax. Respect the Process.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #101 on: December 13, 2012, 02:10:59 PM »

The conversation actually should be pretty easy.  “Hey conference formerly known as Big East, if you want to be a football conference go nuts, but leave us out of it.  We want basketball to be king and we want MSG and the BE name which is known for basketball. You take your exit fees, we take the NCAA units, automatic NCAA qualifier, BE name and MSG.  Sound good?”

I don't see any way in hell the football teams would accept that.  

My guess it that it would elicit something like this as a counter from football teams:  
"How about we just let you 7 go, and because we're nice guys we'll waive your exit fee.  We'll even waive the 27 month waiting period.  We'll let you take any tournament units your teams have earned.  BTW, its up to the NCAA whether or not you get an automatic bid.  You can have MSG for your tournament, but we want to keep the Big East name.  And we'll indemnify you from potential future litigation from Temple, Tulane, SMU,  Houston, UCF and any other members that joined the Big East expecting you were part of the league."

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #102 on: December 13, 2012, 02:14:43 PM »
True love is hard to find, sometimes you think you have true love and then you catch the early flight home from Spokane and a couple of nude schools jump out of your bathroom blindfolded like a goddamn magic show ready to double team Georgetown...

Yep.... I was thinking the same thing.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #103 on: December 13, 2012, 02:14:59 PM »

My guess it that it would elicit something like this as a counter from football teams:  
"How about we just let you 7 go, and because we're nice guys we'll waive your exit fee.  We'll even waive the 27 month waiting period.  We'll let you take any tournament units your teams have earned.  BTW, its up to the NCAA whether or not you get an automatic bid.  You can have MSG for your tournament, but we want to keep the Big East name.  And we'll indemnify you from potential future litigation from Temple, Tulane, SMU,  Houston, UCF and any other members that joined the Big East expecting you were part of the league."

Then the C7 say "Fine...we'll just dissolve the SOB and figure it out later."

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #104 on: December 13, 2012, 02:15:38 PM »
Best outcome is to keep Big East name. Too bad ND left for ACC before this. I'd like to think they would have stuck with the rest of the Catholic schools.

I'd like to think that too. But I don't.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #105 on: December 13, 2012, 02:18:46 PM »
I'd like to think that too. But I don't.

Yeah, They're Notre Dame.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #106 on: December 13, 2012, 02:22:27 PM »

To which the C7 would respond:
"Exit fees? Waiting period? Future litigation? Read the bylaws, dummies."

It's simple. The bylaws explicitly state that a 2/3 majority can dissolve the conference and decide how to allocate its assets. All the other schools that signed on to the Big East did so knowing those bylaws existed. They can't honestly claim now that they weren't aware of this could happen, because they signed onto the very document that said it could happen.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 02:32:53 PM by Pakuni »

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #107 on: December 13, 2012, 02:23:30 PM »

Then the C7 say "Fine...we'll just dissolve the SOB and figure it out later."

If this were viewed as a viable alternative, then the other offer wouldn't have been made.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #108 on: December 13, 2012, 02:25:38 PM »
If this were viewed as a viable alternative, then the other offer wouldn't have been made.

Sure it would.  We can either figure it out nicely, or we can figure out in courts.  If you are petty about it, we just dissolve and sort it out later.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 02:36:17 PM by The Sultan of South Wayne »

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #109 on: December 13, 2012, 02:28:35 PM »
To which the C7 would respond:
"Exit fees? Waiting period? Future litigation? Read the bylaws, dummies."

It's simple. The bylaws explicitly state that a 2/3 majority can dissolve the conference with no penalty. None. Zero. All the other schools that signed on to the Big East did so knowing those bylaws existed. They can't honestly claim now that they weren't aware of this could happen, because they signed onto the very document that said it could happen.

As for the name, if the C7 vote to dissolve the conference, the Big East no longer exists. Nobody retains the rights to the conference name because there is no conference. I suppose, out of spite, SMU, Boise State, San Diego State, Tulane, etc., could try to name their new conference the Big East, but I don't see how that helps them much.

The assets of the Old Big East would have to be sorted out. The trademark to "BIG EAST" is one of those assets. It wouldn't just disappear.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #110 on: December 13, 2012, 02:32:36 PM »
The assets of the Old Big East would have to be sorted out. The trademark to "BIG EAST" is one of those assets. It wouldn't just disappear.

You're correct.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #111 on: December 13, 2012, 02:35:10 PM »
Will our new league have "Legends" and "Leaders" divisions?

Divide it into 3 divisions:  Jesus, Mary, Joseph.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #112 on: December 13, 2012, 02:36:31 PM »
Divide it into 3 divisions:  Jesus, Mary, Joseph.

Nah. Father, Son & Holy Spirit divisions.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #113 on: December 13, 2012, 02:41:03 PM »
Call the league "God's Squad"
Bring back FFP!!!

TheGym

• Starter
« Reply #114 on: December 13, 2012, 02:43:20 PM »

Okay this should be fun.  Let's negotiate this.

"Then Mr. Conference formerly known as the Big East.  So we all agree that we should get some NCAA units, MSG and we will let the NCAA decide the automatic qualifier.  First, let's talk about the units.  How about you keep the UCONN and Cincy units and we get the rest.  Fair?  Second, not sure why you want the Big East name, but in return for the Big East name you give us $10M, deal?  Remember we can always just disband and let the courts decide this.  I don't think anyone wants that, right?"

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #115 on: December 13, 2012, 02:44:43 PM »
Nah. Father, Son & Holy Spirit divisions.

Amen.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #116 on: December 13, 2012, 02:45:50 PM »
Call the league "God's Squad"

Trinity Athletic Conference. It's the TAC.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #117 on: December 13, 2012, 02:47:02 PM »

This is where I see the most litigation coming.  The schools that already left have to pay their exit fees, those trying to join knew the risk that the conference could not exist, those in now accepted that the conference could be dissolved within the bylaws.  But a simple vote or agreement on asset distribution will be hotly contested and primary driver of litigation.  There's the brand and the cash, and UConn/UC/USF are going to argue that assets have to be divided equally and contest that giving up their share of the brand is worth a lot of the cash.  As far as timing for C7 to move forward, it'll be just like all the other conference defections - do it now, settle the legal issues later, never wait around.

We have our first sponsor.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #118 on: December 13, 2012, 02:48:06 PM »
Divide it into 3 divisions:  Jesus, Marion, Joseph.

fixed

🏀

• All American
« Reply #119 on: December 13, 2012, 02:48:55 PM »
We have our first sponsor.

Orange Tic-Tacs, delicious, but they don't do a damn thing for your breath.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #120 on: December 13, 2012, 02:50:08 PM »
Orange Tic-Tacs, delicious, but they don't do a damn thing for your breath.

There is little better than putting an entire package of orange Tic-Tacs in your mouth at once.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #121 on: December 13, 2012, 02:51:19 PM »
There is little better than putting an entire package of orange Tic-Tacs in your mouth at once.

That's not what your favorite female relative says.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #122 on: December 13, 2012, 02:58:38 PM »
That's not what your favorite female relative says.

*dammit*
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #123 on: December 13, 2012, 03:03:31 PM »
If we stop at 8 members we could be the Celib8.

JD

• All American
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL