Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: So how about that Theo John?  (Read 9617 times)

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
So how about that Theo John?
« on: February 05, 2018, 12:58:39 PM »
Could have put this in the "bright spots" thread, but I thought Theo's play warranted its own thread.

A monster game that was unfortunately overshadowed by a disappointing loss.  Besides being perfect from the field on the way to a career high in points he had 5 monster blocks (and a sixth was ruled a steal instead).

He's come a long way from the guy who would pick up 4 fouls in 6 minutes of play.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 01:00:26 PM by TSmith34 »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

warriorchick

• All American
Re: So how about that Theo John?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 01:02:03 PM »
Could have put this in the "bright spots" thread, but I thought Theo's play warranted its own thread.

A monster game that was unfortunately overshadowed by a disappointing loss.  Besides being perfect from the field on the way to a career high in points he had 5 monster blocks (and a sixth was ruled a steal instead).

He's come a long way from the guy who would pick up 4 fouls in 6 minutes of play.

If we had won, Theo might have been SOTG.
Have some patience, FFS.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 01:03:43 PM »
It may not have been highly ranked but Wojo hit an absolute homerun with his 2017 recruiting class.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 01:04:08 PM »
Amazing game by Theo.  He clearly would have been SOTG if we had won. 

The only negative was the offensive goaltending, but I'll take an overall performance like that any day.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 01:18:57 PM »
If Theo keeps that up and we can get Markus, and more specifically Rowsey, back on their game, 5-2 or better is a legit possibility. 

As I projected several weeks ago with respect to Heldt's minutes in 18-19, he is going to be at the end of the bench. He is basically already there - he has averaged 8 MPG over his last four and only played 5 minutes against PC.  Add Morrow to the mix next season and Heldt is going to be the 4th option in the post.  Which I think is a good thing.  Matt seems like a great guy and works very hard, but he is not a HM starting center, but will be very useful as a guy that can with with energy in spurts in a loaded front court next season.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 01:22:14 PM »
Amazing game by Theo.  He clearly would have been SOTG if we had won. 

The only negative was the offensive goaltending, but I'll take an overall performance like that any day.

Agree with SOTG assessment by Gooooo and Chick.  If only.

Theo walked over to Wojo right after the goaltending, probably expecting the worst, and got a hug and a "you know what you did".  Nice moment I guess.  Not many of those to talk about these days.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 01:22:58 PM »
The stretch that Theo sat in the second half cost us the game. He was the only player that could match their physicality. Mind blowing that we took him out and went small.

Anyone have his +/-? Had to be approaching +20

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 01:27:02 PM »
I'm not sure he can play 30.   He has to rest at some point.    He played well.    This was his game to shine, just like Elliott and Cain have had glorious moments.    The frosh have upside.   They, like most freshmen, need consistency.    They are all counters to the argument that Wojo can't develop players.     All are better than they were at the beginning of the year.      They have no fear.    But the Big East is not a league where relying on freshmen is going to translate to wins. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 01:30:18 PM »
I'm not sure he can play 30.   He has to rest at some point.    He played well.    This was his game to shine, just like Elliott and Cain have had glorious moments.    The frosh have upside.   They, like most freshmen, need consistency.    They are all counters to the argument that Wojo can't develop players.     All are better than they were at the beginning of the year.      They have no fear.    But the Big East is not a league where relying on freshmen is going to translate to wins. 
Agree with everything here, but both Haanif and Sandy showed similar potential their freshman year.  It's on Wojo to get them to take the next step.  That is where Wojo has a spotty record at best.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

Warrior1969

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2018, 01:36:25 PM »
Why the heck could Theo not play 30?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2018, 01:44:27 PM »
Theo was great.  Wojo was trying to change up and get more offense on the floor.  It didn't work, but I don't think the margin with that line up in was terrible.  (I have been trying to find a play-by-play that includes substitutions but can't find one to verify.) 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2018, 01:44:58 PM »

Prior to Saturday, what was his highest minutes played in a game this season?   I will hang up and listen while you search.    The simple reason is that making a big leap in minutes played in a game does not equate to sustained success.    And bigs, particularly ones playing with high energy have trouble playing that many minutes.    But, I keep forgetting.    He goes to MU, so the principles of experience mattering, minutes played, height, weight, don't matter.     Every player at MU, because he is at MU,  should be able to play 40 minutes.    Should never play like a freshhman.   Or sophomore.   Or miss a free throw when they shoot over 90%.    Or wear out from playing too many minutes.   Even if they are (maybe) 5'10, it is a disgrace that a 6'5 player should be able to post them up.    If they are 6'7 and 190, no 6'8, 230 senior should be able to physically dominate them.    If they have a thumb requiring surgery, it shouldn't affect their play.    Because the name on the front of the jersey magically fixes all of that.   

He needed a freaking rest.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2018, 01:46:54 PM »
Prior to Saturday, what was his highest minutes played in a game this season?   I will hang up and listen while you search.    The simple reason is that making a big leap in minutes played in a game does not equate to sustained success.    And bigs, particularly ones playing with high energy have trouble playing that many minutes.    But, I keep forgetting.    He goes to MU, so the principles of experience mattering, minutes played, height, weight, don't matter.     Every player at MU, because he is at MU,  should be able to play 40 minutes.    Should never play like a freshhman.   Or sophomore.   Or miss a free throw when they shoot over 90%.    Or wear out from playing too many minutes.   Even if they are (maybe) 5'10, it is a disgrace that a 6'5 player should be able to post them up.    If they are 6'7 and 190, no 6'8, 230 senior should be able to physically dominate them.    If they have a thumb requiring surgery, it shouldn't affect their play.    Because the name on the front of the jersey magically fixes all of that.   

solid rant

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2018, 01:47:18 PM »
Yup, and when he sat we'd have been better off with Heldt rather than go full midget.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

WayOfTheWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2018, 01:57:45 PM »

That begs the question then, would you have a fresh Heldt/Froling or a somewhat fatigued Theo? Given how Theo was playing up until that point compared to the others, I think 5 more minutes would have paid off. Just a completely different presence with him on the floor.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2018, 02:12:09 PM »
That begs the question then, would you have a fresh Heldt/Froling or a somewhat fatigued Theo? Given how Theo was playing up until that point compared to the others, I think 5 more minutes would have paid off. Just a completely different presence with him on the floor.

Theo was absolutely the best big on the floor on Saturday.    But if he is gassed, get him out for 5 minutes in real time/ 2-3 minutes of game time and go with a fresh Froling.   Or Heldt, if you have to.    A gassed big is more prone to fouls and turnovers.

I am sorry for the rant.    But at times, I feel like people don't watch other teams, other games.    They don't see freshmen being physically beat up or being inconsistent.     They don't notice bigs getting tired more quickly.   They don't see other teams struggle to defend the pick and roll.    They don't notice what happens to other really young teams in major conferences.   Or teams with short benches.   They don't notice patterns, ebbs, flows, rhythms, actions and consequences that happen in every game and in most programs.     And because of this, they think MU should be immune to these things.   Or they don't recognize what is happening at MU is not unique to MU. 

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2018, 02:24:23 PM »
Theo was absolutely the best big on the floor on Saturday.    But if he is gassed, get him out for 5 minutes in real time/ 2-3 minutes of game time and go with a fresh Froling.   Or Heldt, if you have to.    A gassed big is more prone to fouls and turnovers.

I didn't mind him taking out Theo for a rest.  I minded that he didn't go with Froling or Heldt for that stretch.  He went with Hauser at center, and we could not stop them.  After a timeout, he kept that lineup for a few more possessions.  That's how you end up with a 5-10 guard with 4 fouls attempting to guard a player more than a half a foot taller in the post with no help.  We weren't scoring at the time so I think he decided he wanted another offensive player, but the best you could hope for was trading baskets because with their size we weren't going to stop them much, if at all.

That and wasting our last timeout to call a play that backfired were my two biggest complaints.  Not a bad coaching night but a couple of bad decisions, at least to me.  I didn't like the TO at all because it allowed them to set their defense, and I like us on the run more than in a set half court.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2018, 02:28:03 PM »
I also did not like going small at that point.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2018, 02:30:03 PM »
CT,

Rowdy was guarding the second smallest player in Providences lineup. They run 4 guys 6"6 or taller, all 220 lbs or heavier.  Either Markus or  Rowdy was going to be guarding that guy or someone bigger as long as they were both in the game. Didn't matta who was at center.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2018, 02:37:18 PM »
CT,

Rowdy was guarding the second smallest player in Providences lineup. They run 4 guys 6"6 or taller, all 220 lbs or heavier.  Either Markus or  Rowdy was going to be guarding that guy or someone bigger as long as they were both in the game. Didn't matta who was at center.

I understand that, but no big around to provide help when the ball went into the post.  As soon as we went completely small they went right to that tactic.  Perhaps this team should have some sort of zone defense when the midgets are in.  I realize they are easy to shoot over, but is that really worse than layup after foul after layup after allowed put back?

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2018, 02:39:37 PM »
The stretch that Theo sat in the second half cost us the game. He was the only player that could match their physicality. Mind blowing that we took him out and went small.

Anyone have his +/-? Had to be approaching +20

This.  Perfect evidence of how Wojo still has a ways to go to improve as a coach.  He's improved.  But, this was a perfect example of a big in-game coaching "miss" by Wojo.  Can't have that and expect to win games with a young team. 

Theo was playing his ass off and absolutely was a bright spot, along with Greg.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2018, 02:41:58 PM »
Is Joey more physical than Sam?

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2018, 02:50:15 PM »
I want to see more of John and Froling together, maybe even give John the start over the aussie. Heldt however needs to see his minutes reduced even more. Wojo puts him in there for the seniority, and he doesn't do bad. He's just not as talented or strong as the other two.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2018, 02:54:06 PM »
CT,

Especially when Anim is face guarding Cartwright, the smallest guy on the court for PC.  If Rowsey and Howard are on the court together, they're both guarding 6-6 or bigger guys.   

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2018, 02:58:31 PM »
I want to see more of John and Froling together, maybe even give John the start over the aussie. Heldt however needs to see his minutes reduced even more. Wojo puts him in there for the seniority, and he doesn't do bad. He's just not as talented or strong as the other two.
Froling is undoubtedly more talented than Matt offensively, but I'd give the nod to Matt defensively by a wide margin.  Harry just isn't a good defensively player from what I've observed.  Given everyone has been screaming for more defense, I'm not sure Froling is the answer.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.