Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Did you officially OFFER...  (Read 6024 times)

zagalicious

• Walk-On
Did you officially OFFER...
« on: August 06, 2008, 12:08:32 PM »
Sam Dower?  I was under the impression Maquette was out of scholarships for the '09 class.  Is this story accurate or hear-say?  Your help is much appreciated, thanks in advance.  ;D

According to Ryan James, who writes for both MinnesotaPreps.com and GopheersIllustrated.com (both rivals sites), Sam already has a Marquette offer. F
Quote:
Ryan states Dower now holds offers from Marquette, Iowa, Gonzaga, Saint Louis, Colorado State, George Mason and others plus several division ones are interested.

bma725

• All American
Re: Did you officially OFFER...
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 12:23:44 PM »
MU is out of scholarships but apparently throwing around offers like dollar bills at a strip club.  No way to guarantee it, but I'm pretty sure Dower got an offer from MU in mid-July. 

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 12:28:17 PM »
you may not know this, but we have a player named Trevor Mbakwe, who is planning on averaging 30 and 15 on his way to being the number one overall pick.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 12:29:56 PM »
MU is out of scholarships but apparently throwing around offers like dollar bills at a strip club.  No way to guarantee it, but I'm pretty sure Dower got an offer from MU in mid-July. 

Some people are still quite concerned that Mr. Maymon may not make it.  I have no inside knowledge on this, just what I'm hearing as speculation.  Could be absolute BS but as more and more scholies are offered you have to wonder.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 12:33:23 PM »
Some people are still quite concerned that Mr. Maymon may not make it.  I have no inside knowledge on this, just what I'm hearing as speculation.  Could be absolute BS but as more and more scholies are offered you have to wonder.

It's not BS.  His own father admitted he's at risk --

http://blogs.jsonline.com/muhoops/archive/2008/05/27/maymon-commits-to-mu.aspx

There are questions about Maymon' s academic standing; his GPA is currently a 2.0. Tim Maymon said his son's grades have been on an uptick lately, however, and that he'll be attending summer school in an attempt to improve them even more heading into his senior year.

"His grades are decent," said Tim Maymon. "He has Bs and Cs. He has one D in chemistry that he's brought up already. He took a test and I think he brought it up to a C+, but he still has the final to go. His grades are decent. The only thing we're worried about is the core GPA, which we've got to bring up over a 2.1.

"Jeronne, I project him a 2.3, 2.4 GPA by the time his senior year is over. We're definitely glad we're committed because now we have the structure in place to get Jeronne to the right grade level."

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 12:40:47 PM »
If Maymon can meet the qualifications to get in, I believe he will be fine once he gets to Marquette.  They have some good people at the AL that help players with their education.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 12:50:32 PM »

True, that has always been a concern.   But the thing about the players they are recruiting is that none of them are really the same position as Maymon so they wouldn't really be replacing him.  Dower is a PF.  Murray is a C.  Snaer, Marshall, and Lawrence are all SG. 

That leads me to believe that his summer school work may be complete and the news was good. ;)

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 01:12:53 PM »
I would think Buzz would have a very good idea after the summer school grades are in. I may be wrong, but I thought Maymon was retaking a couple of core classes. If he raises his grades he becomes much less of a risk.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 01:18:26 PM »
Maymon skipped a lot of the camps to bring up his grades.   Buzz should know in the next couple of weeks if he is going to make it.   Has anybody heard a word from Eric Williams?   Is he still solid?   With Cadougan in the fold, is Buycks still solid?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 01:37:07 PM »
Maymon skipped a lot of the camps to bring up his grades.   Buzz should know in the next couple of weeks if he is going to make it.   Has anybody heard a word from Eric Williams?   Is he still solid?   With Cadougan in the fold, is Buycks still solid?

Williams is still solid, has been since the day Buzz was hired, plus his parents really like the Jesuits.  No idea on Buycks.  He was supposed to be working on getting his grades in order over this summer just like Maymon.

mwbauer7

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 02:32:57 PM »
Zagalicious from Zags Blog?

bma725

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 02:53:36 PM »
Zagalicious from Zags Blog?

Likely Zag as in Gonzaga.  They are in on Dower as well, and there was some talk on one of their boards a few days ago that MU was Dower's dream school and he was just waiting for MU to offer before he would commit.  But I'm pretty sure he's had an offer for awhile and that isn't exactly the case.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 03:27:03 PM »
boy oh boy much about nothing most likely!!!   

Many websites report who kids got offers from and then never update anything.  Therefore, if MU offers johnny Lacy as a sophomore and then no longer recruits him and in fact gets a commitment form another PG all one has to do is go to a website and speculate we are still offering scholarships or someone is leaving or make comments like Mu is throwing out schollies like "dollar bills". 

relax people.

Another secenraio  a service asks a kid what offers he has...mu offered maybe a week agao maybe 3 months ago so he throws the name out...as MU's profile rises it is going to be thrown ut by a kid more frequently as is raises his profile.  maybe news but if a kid gets and offer by kentucky 3 years ago by say Tubby...that kid will still say he was offered by kentucky...almost every time!!

So the point is relax,  MU is listed as offerenig guys we no longer are even recruitng and the websites are glacial in updating or what are they going to do if a kid still happens to mention he got an offer form Mu?  There is no scince to it. 

My guess right now is if buzz is offering a scholarship it is only as a contigency, in case somone else does not cut the grades.

oh and by the way Maymon got and A and a B in his two summer school classes rlacing previous core classes and brought his core GPA to 2.6, in other words a decent school year and a decent ACT and he is academically eleigible by a long shot.  At this point the only possible academic issue is Buycks and I greatly suspect that is not going to be anywhere near a problem either.  for those that did not know he had a high enough ACT and GPA out of HS but thanks to the wonderful MPS counselors did not take all the required couses to pass the clearing house.  totally a failure of the MPS, but then again when about 50 of thousands of graduating seniors in the MPS every year go to a 4 year school you might not excpect them to be on top of things like that.  Sad.  if he sign ed with Mu while still in HS they would have been all over that

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 03:43:23 PM »

Many websites report who kids got offers from and then never update anything.  Therefore, if MU offers johnny Lacy as a sophomore and then no longer recruits him and in fact gets a commitment form another PG all one has to do is go to a website and speculate we are still offering scholarships or someone is leaving or make comments like Mu is throwing out schollies like "dollar bills". 

relax people.

Another secenraio  a service asks a kid what offers he has...mu offered maybe a week agao maybe 3 months ago so he throws the name out...as MU's profile rises it is going to be thrown ut by a kid more frequently as is raises his profile.  maybe news but if a kid gets and offer by kentucky 3 years ago by say Tubby...that kid will still say he was offered by kentucky...almost every time!!

So the point is relax,  MU is listed as offerenig guys we no longer are even recruitng and the websites are glacial in updating or what are they going to do if a kid still happens to mention he got an offer form Mu?  There is no scince to it. 

My guess right now is if buzz is offering a scholarship it is only as a contigency, in case somone else does not cut the grades.

oh and by the way Maymon got and A and a B in his two summer school classes rlacing previous core classes and brought his core GPA to 2.6, in other words a decent school year and a decent ACT and he is academically eleigible by a long shot.  At this point the only possible academic issue is Buycks and I greatly suspect that is not going to be anywhere near a problem either.  for those that did not know he had a high enough ACT and GPA out of HS but thanks to the wonderful MPS counselors did not take all the required couses to pass the clearing house.  totally a failure of the MPS, but then again when about 50 of thousands of graduating seniors in the MPS every year go to a 4 year school you might not excpect them to be on top of things like that.  Sad.  if he sign ed with Mu while still in HS they would have been all over that

I hate to do this... but I can't help it...

Does anybody else find it ironic that Hayward is writing about GPAs and ACTs, but has 13 misspellings and numerous grammatical errors.

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2008, 03:50:33 PM »

relax people.

?-( ?-( ?-( ?-( ?-(

MUONTOP

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2008, 03:55:21 PM »
No...and I hate to do this but stop counting and go outside

nola03

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2008, 08:50:53 PM »
....... or someone is leaving or make comments like Mu is throwing out schollies like "dollar bills". 

.........At this point the only possible academic issue is Buycks and I greatly suspect that is not going to be anywhere near a problem either.  

This is all I could understand.

As to the first part, people are making comments like that because MU is full for 2009 and yet we remain a top choice for players like Parrom and Snaer and we are still considered highly by projects like Dower and Murray. There's reason to write those words. Btw, bma likes Buzz quite a bit so he ain't just taking a shot. Perhaps you should take your own advice and "relax".

As to the second part, you'll have some verbal molotov cocktails thrown your way for even slightly suspecting Buycks as an academic question mark. Pakuni, I fully expect a broadside launched his way.  ;)

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2008, 09:16:29 PM »
Maymon has supposedly done very good in summer school so far.   If any offers/commitments take place now it's probably because Buzz wants to over-sign and Rick Majerus a kid on the low end of the totem pole. 

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2008, 01:17:35 PM »
once again nola proves tostruggles with basic understanding.  My point all along was why speculate and who knows that Mu is still pursuing the guys you mentioned.  Even you are basing that on 23 month old information psoted before we got the commitments we now have.  The summer season is over and it very well may be likely that Buzz has not contacted the guys you mentioned in weeks. heck even scout said there assemsment of Juniro was way off and they have not updated it.

again if you can read I said Buycks is most likely not an issue as his GPA and scores were adequate out of HS it was simply a case of poor guidnace by a counselor. 

but keep making dumb comments you have quickly become the murf of this board with your constant  negatitive and passive resentment to Buzz since your boyfriend went to t Bloomington.  Do you have the Big ten network?  it might make you feel better, maybe get yourself a crean and crimson teeshirt and sleep in it every night.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2008, 01:39:46 PM »
It's not 23 month old information.  Dower was never mentioned having until a July update from his AAU coach.  Ethan Wragge stated that he was first offered on Sunday, as in 4 days ago.  Jordan Williams got his offer not even two weeks ago.  MU is still going very hard after Snaer, Buzz was apparently checking out Keith DeWitt a few weeks back etc.  There are a few names that MU is listed with that it hasn't had contact with in awhile, but for the most part Buzz and staff continue to actively recruit the 2009 class and the list of recruits is growing, not shrinking.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2008, 02:38:05 PM »
typo i meant 2-3 month old.  my point stands tho. heck 2-3 onths ago no one had ever even heard of Mc ,orrow and now he is attending Mu.  Not saying Buzz is not still recruiting ..you have to... but most people are up in arms becuse they see the recruitng lists and assume buzz is recruiting a aguy he very most likely is not.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2008, 02:53:01 PM »
Is Mr. Hayward alias Natedog?

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2008, 04:34:45 PM »

muwarrior87

• All American