collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Why are so many college freshmen leaving Illinois? (MU is a Top Choice!)  (Read 4759 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
MU is the most popular out of state private school among Illinois students.

Big reason Illinois is losing so many students to universities in other states, Illinois awful financial situation keeps U of I (both Champaign and UIC) in-state tuition very high relative to in-state tuition in other states.  Also, the budget mess saw Northeastern Illinois close for a week last year and persistent rumors that Chicago State will close altogether are killing enrollment in those universities.

Why are so many college freshmen leaving Illinois?
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20180223/ISSUE01/180229949/why-are-so-many-college-freshmen-leaving-illinois

The Illinois System understands "sticker shock" and encourages prospective students to consider that more than half its students pay less than full price thanks to need- and merit-based aid provided by the school and federal and state programs. Illinois undergraduate tuition rates may look high relative to other states' schools because state law requires they reflect estimated tuition for a four-year education, Lichtenberger notes.

Still, Illinois public universities, and some private schools, have been hard-pressed to compete with financial packages offered by schools nabbing students from Illinois.

The Illinois budget impasse, which curtailed state grants, didn't help. While the state's bigger universities were better positioned to weather the turmoil, the other four-year institutions, such as Chicago State University, were hit harder.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 07:28:24 AM by Tugg Speedman »

warriorchick

• All American
Re: Why are so many college freshmen leaving Illinois? (MU is a Top Choice!)
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 07:35:57 AM »
I am pretty surprised Bucky isn't on this list.
Have some patience, FFS.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 08:02:05 AM »

Remember that is just the 2016 class.  Maybe a total of the last 10 years would have Bucky near the top.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 08:03:23 AM »

Why MU over Notre Dame? I know I'll get some snarky answers but I'm curious as to why.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 08:16:34 AM »
Why MU over Notre Dame? I know I'll get some snarky answers but I'm curious as to why.

Because ND draws from a more nationwide base.
Have some patience, FFS.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 08:31:21 AM »

Because ND draws from a more nationwide base.

And also because ND is tougher to get into. Not to mention, ND tries to accept students from every state each year. Catholic kids from Chicago who want to go to ND are a dime-a-dozen. Unless they're the absolute best of the best, it's basically a crap-shoot for them to be accepted.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 08:32:50 AM »

I was kind of surprised at first...but then realized that IL students don't have reciprocity to go to Madison.  It's a great deal at in-state rates, but take that away and it looks less attractive than a place like Iowa or Purdue.  And Bucky's academic reputation, while still good, is heading in the wrong direction under the current governor.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 08:42:32 AM »
What states does Illinois have reciprocity with?

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 08:46:09 AM »
And also because ND is tougher to get into. Not to mention, ND tries to accept students from every state each year. Catholic kids from Chicago who want to go to ND are a dime-a-dozen. Unless they're the absolute best of the best, it's basically a crap-shoot for them to be accepted.

And it is more expensive and offers less merit based assistance

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 08:52:32 AM »

That too!  ;)

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2018, 08:59:03 AM »

Haven't you heard?  Everyone at Notre Dame is so smart, they all deserve scholarships, so the merit-based award is already baked into the tuition.  Never mind that all in,  it's at least fifteen grand a year more expensive than Marquette, even before Marquette throws in its typical $10K+ scholly.
Have some patience, FFS.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2018, 09:08:00 AM »
Also, the budget mess saw Northeastern Illinois close for a week last year and persistent rumors that Chicago State will close altogether are killing enrollment in those universities.

Tugg, MU gets ZERO kids as an alternative to Chicago State and maybe 1 (probably zero) as an alternative to Northeastern.  Completely different markets. 

Your statements about those institutions and the general Illinois mess are true, but there is ZERO correlation between those two institutions and MU enrollment from Illinois.  Completely different markets.

Based on my anecdotal observation of the graduates from a couple of the Catholic HS in our part of the Chicago area (Ignatius and Fenwick), there seems to be a rotation in which of the neighboring state schools do best which is largely based on which schools are trying harder (giving more money) in the given year, which includes Bucky, Mizzou, Iowa and Indiana.  Minnesota jumps in as well.  The big state school numbers are similar for our local public school, with more to Michigan.

All that said, for this particular market, Illinois still is number 1 every year.  And MU and ND are almost always in the top 4.  Top 10 for 2017 for Fenwick (while these numbers vary -ND and MU have had as many as 23 to 25 in the last 10 years and never fewer than 10, 2017 is pretty representative):

University of Illinois - Urbana/Champaign (34)
Marquette University (15)
University of Notre Dame (12)
University of Iowa (10)
Indiana University (9)
University of Wisconsin - Madison (8)
DePaul University (7)
Miami University - Ohio (7)
St. Louis University (7)
Purdue University (6)
University of Illinois at Chicago - UIC (6)

plus lots of Jesuit (of course, even more for Ignatius), Ivy and big state one-offs

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2018, 09:10:19 AM »
Haven't you heard?  Everyone at Notre Dame is so smart, they all deserve scholarships, so the merit-based award is already baked into the tuition.  Never mind that all in,  it's at least fifteen grand a year more expensive than Marquette, even before Marquette throws in its typical $10K+ scholly.

Hahaha.  Someone forgot to tell my son about that baked in scholarship...

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2018, 09:17:54 AM »
What states does Illinois have reciprocity with?

I'm also curious about this

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2018, 09:22:17 AM »
Hahaha.  Someone forgot to tell my son about that baked in scholarship...

That was paraphrased from a what an acquaintance of mine was told during a campus tour at Notre Dame.

But of course there are exceptions. Good for your son.
Have some patience, FFS.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2018, 09:22:41 AM »
Also, the budget mess saw Northeastern Illinois close for a week last year and persistent rumors that Chicago State will close altogether are killing enrollment in those universities.

Tugg, MU gets ZERO kids as an alternative to Chicago State and maybe 1 (probably zero) as an alternative to Northeastern.  Completely different markets. 

Your statements about those institutions and the general Illinois mess are true, but there is ZERO correlation between those two institutions and MU enrollment from Illinois.  Completely different markets.

Based on my anecdotal observation of the graduates from a couple of the Catholic HS in our part of the Chicago area (Ignatius and Fenwick), there seems to be a rotation in which of the neighboring state schools do best which is largely based on which schools are trying harder (giving more money) in the given year, which includes Bucky, Mizzou, Iowa and Indiana.  Minnesota jumps in as well.  The big state school numbers are similar for our local public school, with more to Michigan.

All that said, for this particular market, Illinois still is number 1 every year.  And MU and ND are almost always in the top 4.  Top 10 for 2017 for Fenwick (while these numbers vary -ND and MU have had as many as 23 to 25 in the last 10 years and never fewer than 10, 2017 is pretty representative):

University of Illinois - Urbana/Champaign (34)
Marquette University (15)
University of Notre Dame (12)
University of Iowa (10)
Indiana University (9)
University of Wisconsin - Madison (8)
DePaul University (7)
Miami University - Ohio (7)
St. Louis University (7)
Purdue University (6)
University of Illinois at Chicago - UIC (6)

plus lots of Jesuit (of course, even more for Ignatius), Ivy and big state one-offs

The Northeastern/Chicago State comment was about Illinois kids leaving the state, not only about going to MU.  I never thought they were going to MU, just leaving Illinois.

Also, in a thread a few months ago I noted that the Loyola Academy to MU pipeline is one of the largest Jesuit high school to Jesuit university pipelines in the country.  Last year over 200 LA kids applied to MU with about 45 enrolling.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2018, 09:39:24 AM »
From the article:

Melissa Correa, an 18-year-old at Maine South High School in Park Ridge, says she committed to the University of Iowa in Iowa City for college next year because she liked the idea of a Big Ten school in a smaller community. But she thought it was also the best overall option for a nursing degree when the school offered $27,000 in aid toward the first year's $31,000 tuition, she says. Plus, if she stays in Iowa next summer, she'll be eligible for the lower in-state tuition the following year.

I'm pretty sure that that bold part is wrong.  Out-of-state kids are locked into the out-of-state rate for the entirety of their undergraduate degree.  (Maybe Iowa has very lax residency standards?)

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2018, 09:47:13 AM »
From the article:

Melissa Correa, an 18-year-old at Maine South High School in Park Ridge, says she committed to the University of Iowa in Iowa City for college next year because she liked the idea of a Big Ten school in a smaller community. But she thought it was also the best overall option for a nursing degree when the school offered $27,000 in aid toward the first year's $31,000 tuition, she says. Plus, if she stays in Iowa next summer, she'll be eligible for the lower in-state tuition the following year.

I'm pretty sure that that bold part is wrong.  Out-of-state kids are locked into the out-of-state rate for the entirety of their undergraduate degree.  (Maybe Iowa has very lax residency standards?)

Every state is different.  I had a co-worker who moved to Arizona from Illinois in July, and in August, her daughter enrolled at Arizona State and qualified for in-state tuition. 

On the other hand, chick jr. applied to UWM for grad school in 2016.  She had lived year-round in Wisconsin since 2012, had worked full-time in Milwaukee since 2014, had a Wisconsin Driver's license, and had paid Wisconsin state income tax since 2011.  UWM initially told her she was ineligible for in-state tuition.

I believe she successfully appealed, but since Marquette offerered her a graduate assistantship, it wound up being a moot point.
Have some patience, FFS.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2018, 10:20:00 AM »
From the article:

I know this is true of Missouri.  Minimal requirements to get Missouri residency have many kids going to Mizzou.

And why MU instead of ND?  C'mon.  ND sucks.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2018, 10:31:50 AM »
That was paraphrased from a what an acquaintance of mine was told during a campus tour at Notre Dame.

But of course there are exceptions. Good for your son.

No no.  He most definitely did NOT have a scholarship.  I think I read your post incorrectly.

And my son gave those tours...

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2018, 10:33:27 AM »
I know this is true of Missouri.  Minimal requirements to get Missouri residency have many kids going to Mizzou.

And why MU instead of ND?  C'mon.  ND sucks.

Several friends with kids who have done the MO residency.  Crazy.  But it works.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2018, 11:19:45 AM »
No no.  He most definitely did NOT have a scholarship.  I think I read your post incorrectly.

And my son gave those tours...

I am sure he was not as snotty as this tour guide allegedly was.....
Have some patience, FFS.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2018, 12:36:27 PM »
my nephews from lisle and whose father was a big illini alum went to indiana and iowa
don't...don't don't don't don't

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2018, 01:11:31 PM »
Several friends with kids who have done the MO residency.  Crazy.  But it works.

My daughter did this.  She just had to stay in the state one summer, get a job and make at least $2K, get a MO drivers license and register to vote. 

She wasn't able to stay the first summer, so she ended up paying two years out of state and two in state.  Probably ended up saving at least $20K.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2018, 03:01:17 PM »
My daughter did this.  She just had to stay in the state one summer, get a job and make at least $2K, get a MO drivers license and register to vote. 

She wasn't able to stay the first summer, so she ended up paying two years out of state and two in state.  Probably ended up saving at least $20K.
Stay the summer and make $2,000 was what I'm told it is also.

HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

feedback