Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Kolek Update  (Read 82825 times)

Tha Hound

• All American
Re: Kolek Update
« Reply #500 on: March 13, 2024, 04:17:32 PM »
Many chicken littles on this board. Sad!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #501 on: March 13, 2024, 05:13:27 PM »
My guess is that holding Tyler out tomorrow is less about "he can't play" and more about "we don't want him coming back  from an injury by playing 3 games in 3 days and it would look terrible if we played him tomorrow and then didn't play him the following day".

If I had to guess, he will play in the BET Championship if we make it there.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #502 on: March 13, 2024, 05:19:52 PM »
If Marquette reaches the title game, it will be 3 highly competitive contests in 48 hours. Having somebody coming off an oblique strain play that schedule would have been foolish.

TAMU, I would be fine with TK not playing in the Big East championship game, either.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #503 on: March 13, 2024, 05:20:55 PM »
My guess is that holding Tyler out tomorrow is less about "he can't play" and more about "we don't want him coming back  from an injury by playing 3 games in 3 days and it would look terrible if we played him tomorrow and then didn't play him the following day".

Interesting. I have been thinking Shaka is willing to effectively write off the chance for another BET championship rather than risk a reinjury, but this has me thinking "maybe not". I'd rather Kolek does not play in the BET.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #504 on: March 13, 2024, 06:27:17 PM »
This is a simple risk-reward analysis.  If he plays, and MU wins the BET, then a #2 seed.  If he sits, and they get bumped, MU gets a #3 seed.  The risk associated with TKO playing (i.e., reinjury) is so much greater than the reward of him playing, that it would be foolish for him to play.

Conversely, if they were a bubble team and it was all of the line, it would be different.  Give him a full three weeks rest and make a run at the FF.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #505 on: March 13, 2024, 08:59:21 PM »
This is a simple risk-reward analysis.  If he plays, and MU wins the BET, then a #2 seed.  If he sits, and they get bumped, MU gets a #3 seed.  The risk associated with TKO playing (i.e., reinjury) is so much greater than the reward of him playing, that it would be foolish for him to play.

Conversely, if they were a bubble team and it was all of the line, it would be different.  Give him a full three weeks rest and make a run at the FF.

#FakeNews #Lies
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #506 on: March 13, 2024, 11:22:05 PM »
Just got a PM from Shaka, wants me to let you all know that coach & medical staff are looking through this thread, taking notes. Will have a decision by tomorrow AM and will PM it to me so I can let Scoop know. Hopefully it isn't too early as I fully expect to be very hungover.
Goal is National Championship

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #507 on: March 13, 2024, 11:28:38 PM »
Just got a PM from Shaka, wants me to let you all know that coach & medical staff are looking through this thread, taking notes. Will have a decision by tomorrow AM and will PM it to me so I can let Scoop know. Hopefully it isn't too early as I fully expect to be very hungover.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #508 on: March 13, 2024, 11:33:58 PM »
The biggest issue for me is the rust Kolek will need to shake off. I was really hoping for this to happen in a relatively meaningless BE tourney game. I could easily see the Kolek we saw vs Mich St last year (with the thumb injury) in his first game back and if that is the case I would not at all be surprised if MU has a quick stay in the NCAA Tourney. I know this is doom and gloom but in my mind it is terrible news that he looks like he is not playing at all in the BE Tourney. My expectations for this team just dropped significantly.

Award to the top pants pisser....

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #509 on: March 14, 2024, 12:11:08 AM »
Tyler sitting until the BET finals is gross. 

Either play on Friday or don't play at all.

I'm Team Don't Play At All.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #510 on: March 14, 2024, 12:51:19 AM »
Tyler sitting until the BET finals is gross. 

Either play on Friday or don't play at all.

I'm Team Don't Play At All.

#COLE

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #511 on: March 14, 2024, 03:52:05 AM »

Pure dung, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #512 on: March 14, 2024, 05:51:42 AM »

you and reeeko joined at the ass??
don't...don't don't don't don't

tower912

• All American
« Reply #513 on: March 14, 2024, 05:57:20 AM »
I remember when a poster here had the tag ...'he who laughs, lasts'  They are mocking the mockable.       They are laughing and having fun.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #514 on: March 14, 2024, 08:18:34 AM »
Yesterday's most important Kolek-related quotes from Shaka's media session at MSG (via Ben Steele's article in today's MJS):

"The plan is absolutely for him to play next week (in the NCAA Tournament). He's really made good progress."

"He wants to be out there with his teammates. I'm sure when we get out there in the Garden, that will multiply by 10. But he's also a mature young man and understands the things that matter."

"It's important for him to get healthy. That's the most important thing. To get back to full health. It's a unique injury. So it's not really one that any of us have a ton of experience with. So there's a little bit of cautiousness there, because of what our ultimate goal is."

"He's close. He practiced for part of our session today. He's been working out. Continuing to get treatment. I would say if you had to put a label on the rest of the Big East tournament, it's probably questionable."

"If today was the national championship game, he would be playing. The Big East tournament is obviously a big deal and we want to win, but we also have to make sure we get back on that airplane from New York to Milwaukee feeling better about coming out here in terms of his health."

+++

Given the feeling of dread in the immediate aftermath of the injury, this is fantastic stuff for Marquette, its fans, and of course Kolek.

It's great to hear that TK and Shaka understand what really matters this season ... and it ain't the Big East Tournament. There is only one "ultimate goal," and it's still there for the taking - as long as TK, Oso and Kam are healthy.

We Are Marquette!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #515 on: March 14, 2024, 08:20:22 AM »
as long as TK, Oso and Kam are healthy.

And Stevie based on our performance when he was injured.
Maigh Eo for Sam

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #516 on: March 14, 2024, 08:22:37 AM »
Pure dung, aina?

Your ability to respond to posts is pure dung.

Type your response outside of the quote tags.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #517 on: March 14, 2024, 08:45:54 AM »
Listening to 102.9 right now—-dont ask me why…….
Sports guy says……Good news Marquette fans! TK wont play tonight v. Nova…..but he will play the next two games if MU advances.
Haven’t heard that and not buying it.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #518 on: March 14, 2024, 08:52:46 AM »
nm
« Last Edit: March 14, 2024, 09:33:25 AM by Scoop Snoop »
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #519 on: March 14, 2024, 09:32:07 AM »
Listening to 102.9 right now—-dont ask me why…….
Sports guy says……Good news Marquette fans! TK wont play tonight v. Nova…..but he will play the next two games if MU advances.
Haven’t heard that and not buying it.

Bob and Brian?  Probably not our town's most credible sports news source.    ;D
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #520 on: March 14, 2024, 11:32:48 AM »
Bob and Brian?  Probably not our town's most credible sports news source.    ;D
Agreed…wondering where he got that.

muwarrior69

• All American

THEbig0

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #522 on: March 14, 2024, 07:32:40 PM »

This is exactly it, Tyler already effectively “playing” in practice. Just on a pitch count until it really matters/worth the risk of potential reinjury and jeopardizing ncaa.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #523 on: March 14, 2024, 11:28:47 PM »
Sit him tomorrow? And if UNC, UT and AZ all go down play him in Final against UCONN  for a shor at a 1?
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #524 on: March 14, 2024, 11:29:09 PM »
I think he sits tomorrow. A potential finals would be more of a question in my mind.