collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Downside of Peace  (Read 3240 times)

Benny B

• All American
The Downside of Peace
« on: October 24, 2019, 10:40:46 AM »
https://www.yahoo.com/news/appalled-bristol-university-students-blast-8-x-10-ft-ensuite-pods-that-are-not-fit-for-humans-074505300.html

I really feel bad for the Millennials coning of age in a society where they don’t have fresh memories of a war that decimated populations like the Greats, Boomers and Gen X had to.

Young people in this country were conscripted to fight, kill & die and yet, were not just proud but happy to come home to much, much less. 

I would have killed (figuratively) to have 80 SF en-suite that wasn’t insulated in lead to call my own in college.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

JWags85

• All American
Re: The Downside of Peace
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2019, 10:57:15 AM »
So you focus in on the click-bait headline and extrapolate it into millennials being spoiled cause there wasn't a World War or non-ME conflict for them to die in.  But the crux of the complaints is that they are isolated and separated from other campus housing, not just small, but feel disconnected.  And on top of that, they are charging the same, or a bit more, than more desirable campus housing. 

But sure.  Young people these days have everything, don't have to work for anything, and its easy peasy.  Lets have a global conflict to kill people off so these damn youths get some perspective and gratitude!

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2019, 11:04:24 AM »
+1000

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2019, 11:26:01 AM »
If only a few hundred thousand more milllennials could die violently on foreign soil, they'd understand just how good they've got it over here.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2019, 11:43:40 AM »
Not only that, but traditional college age students are no longer "millennials."
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2019, 12:00:26 PM »
Ideally we could keep the perspective without having to go through the pain. 

That doesn't really follow human nature, but you'd think it would take more than a generation or two for it to completely disappear.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2019, 12:24:01 PM »
Not only that, but traditional college age students are no longer "millennials."

A 23 year old being in college in this day and age seems fairly normal... especially at StN
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2019, 12:28:39 PM »
I thought 80 sq ft seemed pretty large by Euro standards.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2019, 12:33:34 PM »
If only a few hundred thousand more milllennials could die violently on foreign soil, they'd understand just how good they've got it over here.

Millennials are every older generation's bitch. They're blamed and constantly ripped on while the world burns thanks to the actions (or inaction) of older generations.  I have to say the "they're too soft because they weren't sent off to die in a war" is a new one.  Let's just ignore the fact that the US has been involved in multiple wars for their entire lives.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 12:35:24 PM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2019, 12:44:04 PM »
I thought 80 sq ft seemed pretty large by Euro standards.

Put a 2X4 bunk bed in there and call it McCormick.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2019, 01:03:01 PM »
Put a 2X4 bunk bed in there and call it McCormick.

No chit, aina?  Plus a study lounge couch, a few black light posters and a beer sign and your room is full.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2019, 01:14:59 PM »
For just shy of 200 dollars a week yes I'd be upset too. And yet you made this about war and peace  ::)

« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 01:19:22 PM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2019, 01:17:17 PM »
Still wars going on. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2019, 01:44:21 PM »
For just shy of 200 dollars a week yes I'd be upset too. And yet you made this about war and peace  ::)

those rooms make the bedroom I had in Corrib Village look huge. Of course, unlike those trailers, we had fully stocked kitchens and a nice common living area.  Are those pods even insulated and heated, or is that something Millenials should be able to go without and not complain about not having because they never faced a draft or went to war?
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2019, 02:44:49 PM »
Well played yet again, Benny.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2019, 04:27:30 PM »
This went over just like you planned eh?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2019, 05:45:41 PM »
https://www.yahoo.com/news/appalled-bristol-university-students-blast-8-x-10-ft-ensuite-pods-that-are-not-fit-for-humans-074505300.html

I really feel bad for the Millennials coning of age in a society where they don’t have fresh memories of a war that decimated populations like the Greats, Boomers and Gen X had to.

Young people in this country were conscripted to fight, kill & die and yet, were not just proud but happy to come home to much, much less. 

I would have killed (figuratively) to have 80 SF en-suite that wasn’t insulated in lead to call my own in college.

Looks palacial ...what’s the problem as long as the WiFi download speed is fast enough for them? 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2019, 08:11:13 AM »
Let me see if I get this right:

1) The Boomers and the Boomers' parents have avoided destructive world wars for more than 70 years.
2) Boomers were among the folks who stopped the Vietnam War in the early 1970s and we've only deployed military force to protect the country (9/11) and its interests since.
3) Since 1973, we've never had a war where 500,000+ U.S. Troops were deployed at once (aka Vietnam).
4) Somehow, these conditions are detrimental to Millennials?

Even as a joke or click bait, this is beyond absurd.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2019, 08:17:08 AM »

Looks palacial ...what’s the problem as long as the WiFi download speed is fast enough for them?

Paying 191 a week for that is the problem. You can get a decent size studio Big enough to hold a couch, bed, etc in the city center of Chicago for roughly the same price.

I think the room looks great but let's also not pretend that we know just how thin the walls are or how insulated it is from the photos.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2019, 08:20:23 AM »
Let me see if I get this right:

1) The Boomers and the Boomers' parents have avoided destructive world wars for more than 70 years.
2) Boomers were among the folks who stopped the Vietnam War in the early 1970s and we've only deployed military force to protect the country (9/11) and its interests since.
3) Since 1973, we've never had a war where 500,000+ U.S. Troops were deployed at once (aka Vietnam).
4) Somehow, these conditions are detrimental to Millennials?

Even as a joke or click bait, this is beyond absurd.

Sure just gloss over Iraq and the Gulf war we really had interests there  ::)

Also for the record the age of the individuals fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan wasn't boomers or Xers it was those spoiled millennials you all hate.
Maigh Eo for Sam

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2019, 08:53:29 AM »
Sure just gloss over Iraq and the Gulf war we really had interests there  ::)

Also for the record the age of the individuals fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan wasn't boomers or Xers it was those spoiled millennials you all hate.

First of all, I don't hate 'em. In fact, Millennials aren't really any different than we Boomers were in the 1970s and 1980s. We were young, full of vigor after having been graduated from college and thought we knew a lot more than those old codgers who were in positions of authority.

The Millennials are no different. What is different is that WE are the old codgers in authority.

As to our involvement in the Middle East, when we start drafting and send 500,000 troops to Iraq, let me know. I don't want to minimize what was George Bush's huge mistake in Iraq but do keep in mind that in the case of Afghanistan, we were attacked.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2019, 08:57:22 AM »
Bravo, Benny.

This thread and The Lens' about redshirting Markus are probably my two October faves.

I especially appreciate the absence of teal.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2019, 09:20:39 AM »
First of all, I don't hate 'em. In fact, Millennials aren't really any different than we Boomers were in the 1970s and 1980s. We were young, full of vigor after having been graduated from college and thought we knew a lot more than those old codgers who were in positions of authority.

The Millennials are no different. What is different is that WE are the old codgers in authority.

As to our involvement in the Middle East, when we start drafting and send 500,000 troops to Iraq, let me know. I don't want to minimize what was George Bush's huge mistake in Iraq but do keep in mind that in the case of Afghanistan, we were attacked.

I never insinuated it was as bad as Nam. Your response is akin to a WW2 soldier saying to a Boomer "let me know when send  12million to vietnam" it doesn't have anything to do with the fact that there was a war it's just setting parameters for a narrative.

As far as the rest of the original statement, the boomers do/did plenty for Xers, millennials, and Gen Z to gripe about screwing our future. Fortunately, for most of the westernized world war was not one of those things. Doesn't really relate to dorms though.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2019, 09:40:34 AM »
Well played yet again, Benny.
\

I suppose.  But honestly, I may have to give this up... it's just not as fulfilling when it's the "long" that completely overshadows the "game."

Although, I did get a +1000 from Brandy... I didn't expect this thread to go meta.  Not sure if that means he's shedding his cloak of hypocrisy, he finally understands satire, or if he's simply in rare company with Myron Medcalf.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.