Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Student Section  (Read 16177 times)

San Diego Warrior

• Starter
Re: Student Section
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2009, 02:38:44 PM »
It doesn't help that the Bradley Center prohibits drinking by students outside the premises.  When I was a student we used to bring milk cartons of beer to drink while waiting in line.  Now they search the students of alcohol just stand in line for the game.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2009, 03:02:43 PM »
It doesn't help that the Bradley Center prohibits drinking by students outside the premises.  When I was a student we used to bring milk cartons of beer to drink while waiting in line.  Now they search the students of alcohol just stand in line for the game.

Weak excuse. Its not rocket science, to figure out how to drink in line.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2009, 03:52:07 PM »
How odd.  I mean, I understand they have an interest in disallowing booze into the building, but outside?   Who does the searching?  Do they demand to look into bags, etc, as if for security reasons?  How could they do that outside the building?  If you said no to a search, what would they do?

I'm sure there's a friendly Scoop lawyer who could shed some light..

uncle zeffy

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2009, 04:03:45 PM »
You can drink in line, I did it the entire time was there! Hell I would even get a flask into the game and would mix that in the bathroom. I graduated in 2009, I doubt that much has changed this year...

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2009, 05:51:34 PM »
How odd.  I mean, I understand they have an interest in disallowing booze into the building, but outside?   Who does the searching?  Do they demand to look into bags, etc, as if for security reasons?  How could they do that outside the building?  If you said no to a search, what would they do?

I'm sure there's a friendly Scoop lawyer who could shed some light..

I'm no lawyer, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn, but can't they make that request since technically you are on their property?

Either way if you want to drink in line it isn't very hard.

Wareagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2009, 06:09:55 PM »
Weak excuse. Its not rocket science, to figure out how to drink in line.

Indeed.  Rum in a Coke bottle, vodka in a Sprite bottle.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2009, 06:39:12 PM »
Indeed.  Rum in a Coke bottle, vodka in a Sprite bottle.
bingo. if you have to whizz, there are plenty of places a block away on 3rd street that have bathrooms.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2009, 07:26:26 PM »

I know. Crean is gone so all the rah-rah, Gold, 6th man, pizza give aways, family bullcrap left with him.

Didn't cross my mind, but I would ask an honest question in terms of how much involvement Buzz has in getting the students to go.

I hope a ton.  The marketing department can only do so much, you need someone like the coach to rally the troops and get the customer (students) excited.  It's part of the job.  TC would do that, MD wouldn't do that enough.  Is BW?  I would suspect he is, but do not know for sure.

Most likely it is expectations more than anything.  That's my hope anyway.

GregClausenForever

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2009, 07:38:26 PM »
You think these last two games were dead?  Did you ever go to a December game at the beginning of the decade?  You could sprawl out in the front part of the student section and take a nap if you wanted to.

The Buzz thought is not a bad one.  I obviously haven't lined up more than four hours early for a game since '03, but I wonder if Buzz is as involved.  TC used to show up and shake hands to people there early; he even passed out breakfast once or twice.

The turnovers are also killing the atmosphere.  And this team lacks the ability to make ridiculous athletic plays like DWade, DJ, Wes, Jerel, etc.  It's been a good eight years since we've had such a "blah" team -- I mean, we're a solid team, but you don't have outrageous alley oops and stuff.

akmarq

• Starter
« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2009, 07:42:26 PM »
Buzz interacted with students in line twice that I remember last year.  Before the Madison game he came out with the team and shook hands, took pictures, etc.

Before the Georgetown game (I think it was GU) he passed out doughnuts to all the students in line.

I def. think that most students see him as very approachable and involved. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2009, 07:43:57 PM »
You think these last two games were dead?  Did you ever go to a December game at the beginning of the decade?  You could sprawl out in the front part of the student section and take a nap if you wanted to.

Yeah, I remember the end of the decade well....try making that your job.  You have a 14-15 team to deal with, no post season at all, nothing exciting in the product, no star athletes to anchor anything too, apathetic student body (accept for the Lens...he was great)...not fun. 

Winning cures so much.  Winning with flair makes it even better.  Sports is an emotions driven product unlike other products, so winning and how you win are absolutely essential when it comes to selling tickets and getting people in their seats, motivated to be part of the game.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2009, 08:05:14 PM »
Yeah, I remember the end of the decade well....try making that your job.  You have a 14-15 team to deal with, no post season at all, nothing exciting in the product, no star athletes to anchor anything too, apathetic student body (accept for the Lens...he was great)...not fun. 

Winning cures so much.  Winning with flair makes it even better.  Sports is an emotions driven product unlike other products, so winning and how you win are absolutely essential when it comes to selling tickets and getting people in their seats, motivated to be part of the game.

Very true. Winning is crucial. In fairness to the students, the UWM game was pretty boring. It is especially difficult coming off a period where the triplets really excited fans. The current team does not have that explosive excitement.

gumbyandpokey

• Starter
« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2009, 09:40:11 PM »
I work out regularly at MU and also have a niece attending the school and there is no buzz at all about bball from her or her friends or the guys who I work out with.  Last season, we were constantly talking hoops, but the two collapses really seem to have taken away any sense of optimism about this season.  And the students just don't seem to care about any of the players.  There's no excitement or hype, and that's needed to get the casual fan interested.

I think the "eh" play from the freshmen is a very bad sign going forward, as far as fan interest goes.  The "big 3" shot out of the gate and got tons of publicity right from the start.  Maymon, Buycks, Williams...it's just kind of a "who cares" attitude from the students.

MUWeb7

• Starter
« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2009, 09:55:48 PM »
You can drink in line, I did it the entire time was there! Hell I would even get a flask into the game and would mix that in the bathroom. I graduated in 2009, I doubt that much has changed this year...

I can vouch for this one. Ha.

Also...Yes. They would search you. If you had a "water bottle"  or something like that, all you have to do is ask to finish it in line...ta da...they let you.

akmarq

• Starter
« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2009, 11:15:21 PM »
I think the "eh" play from the freshmen is a very bad sign going forward, as far as fan interest goes.  The "big 3" shot out of the gate and got tons of publicity right from the start.  Maymon, Buycks, Williams...it's just kind of a "who cares" attitude from the students.

As a current student, I think it's less the play of the freshmen as the hype (or lack thereof) of the freshmen.  None of these guys were seen as can't miss, big impact guys their first year on campus.  The expectation from people in the know was that it would take Maymon, DJO, and Buycks a little time to develop and these expectations filter down to the less informed portions of the student body.  No one thought we'd be good this year, so no one got excited. 

There was def. more buzz about the NC State (even if that didn't transfer into good attendance) game following the OSC performance, but then everyone got let down, so they stopped caring again.  I guarantee that if we beat Madison on Sat, people will be excited again...just in time to have it all wear off over break.

joanies_fatass

• Walk-On
« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2009, 11:22:55 PM »
I think some of it has to do with the uncertainty as to whether or not the current team has the cojones to dig themselves out of a bad run.  Over the past few years, we KNEW that the big 3 could and would turn a bad run around.  It just doesn't feel like this team has the experience to do that yet, and the student section energy gets sapped as a result.

And who was it that recruited the Big 3 to MU? None other than Coach Tom Crean!