Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Interesting article on Fox Sports about Wade and Crean  (Read 11611 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Interesting article on Fox Sports about Wade and Crean
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 02:53:01 PM »
That was a good story and showed that there often are things that go on behind the scenes that we don't know about. Some might bash Crean for taking credit, but what I saw were numerous quotes from a player who gave credit to Crean.

I'm neither a Crean lover nor a Crean hater. I appreciated what he did to help make Marquette relevant again -- especially recruiting Wade. And I am happy that when he left, he had already supplied his replacement, whom I consider a better all-around coach.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

klyrish

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 04:25:41 PM »
That was a really great article. Sorta made me hate Crean just a sliver less than I do.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 06:40:34 PM »
Never understood the hatred...did more for this program in the last 25 years than anyone.  We are damn lucky to be where we are.  No Tc, no Wade.  No TC, no Buzz.  No TC, no Novak..no Diener, no Lazar, etc, etc. 

It's really amazing the pettiness.  Yeah, he can be s class A prick, unfortunately a common trait among many leaders I sports and business.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 06:55:55 PM »
Never understood the hatred...did more for this program in the last 25 years than anyone.  We are damn lucky to be where we are.  No Tc, no Wade.  No TC, no Buzz.  No TC, no Novak..no Diener, no Lazar, etc, etc. 

It's really amazing the pettiness.  Yeah, he can be s class A prick, unfortunately a common trait among many leaders I sports and business.

+1 I agree with the sentiment.

As usual, though, the delivery was a tad combative :)

klyrish

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 09:01:42 PM »
I hate him because I worked for him (mostly indirectly) in the Athletics department my sophomore and junior years and he's a total cock.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 09:40:14 PM »

You think it's amazing and petty for people to dislike a "class A prick"? Worse yet, a phony class A prick? Why, because he was our phony, class A prick? And because there are others as phony and pricky? Not good enough.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 09:58:14 PM »
The hatred is very much the same as for the husband or father who leaves for another girl.   You don't care that he's responsible for the big house we still live in and the nice cars you drive.  He left you.  

You want him to end up miserable and full of regret.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 10:18:56 PM »
The hatred is very much the same as for the husband or father who leaves for another girl.   You don't care that he's responsible for the big house we still live in and the nice cars you drive.  He left you.  

Your only problem is that analogy is awful.

It's just sports. None of it really matters. People need to be able to separate and move on.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 10:19:13 PM »

Topper, good analogy (I know a good analogy when I see it) at least for the MU fans who liked TC prior to his departure, but not for those who had grown tired (or worse) of him while he was still here.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 11:56:54 PM »
Topper, good analogy (I know a good analogy when I see it) at least for the MU fans who liked TC prior to his departure, but not for those who had grown tired (or worse) of him while he was still here.

I do not have a strong opinion on Crean like many in our fandom do.  But this is valid.  There were so many people who really disliked the man WHILE he still was our coach.  I think to use the hypocrisy argument or the spurned lover argument applies for SOME people but not to everyone.

There were quite a few fans who disliked the man very early on even when he was our coach and a successful one at that.  To them I give quite a bit of slack.  Not saying I agree with them but their stance was steadfast from the very beginning.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 02:25:42 AM »
he's a total cock.

As opposed to a complete ass?

Death on call

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 05:10:59 AM »
I supported him while he was here...thought he was a high-average to good coach...from being at a few practices and talkikng with those who spent more time around him you can certainly tell the difference in how we trats most people compared to the likes of Buzz.

Chico's really summed that part up well, and I guess he decides to give those in sports and business support for being pricks because it's the norm.  Wonder if he was always a prick or if he worked his way to the top so he could be one.  Certainly didn't learn from izzo that you have to be a prick to win. It makes me not want to support the guy, but doesn't change what he did at mu. 

The way he left mu was bs, and for that I will hope he forever sits sits at indiana with loads of talent and no championships. 

chren21

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 05:12:23 AM »
The story is talked about on this weeks edition of "the journey."

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2013, 05:17:42 AM »
And to the wade bond...it goes back to trusting crean.  Anyone who watched a single practice in wades firsy year on campus knew he was a complete stud.  Not too many coaches that don't see $$$ in ensuring a solid relationship with someone like that, and I'm not sure creans other actions put him beyond doing anything other than what's best for him.  Think crean cares about all his players the way buzz does?  Would crean do what he did for wade for all his players...or just the ones destined for greatness...

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2013, 06:13:34 AM »

Total BS. If Buzz leaves, I'd be upset, but I'd still really like him. I couldn't stand Crean when he was here and was thrilled when he left. I truly believe he's one of the biggest jackasses in sports. It bothers me that he's associated with MU at all.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2013, 08:16:22 AM »
Total BS. If Buzz leaves, I'd be upset, but I'd still really like him. I couldn't stand Crean when he was here and was thrilled when he left. I truly believe he's one of the biggest jackasses in sports. It bothers me that he's associated with MU at all.

To you it's BS.  It's not a one sized fits all reason.  Keep in mind, Crean did a masterful job of keeping his assholitude from the huge majority of fans.  You ask 100 fans in 2008 about Crean, 90 of them thought Tom and Joani the king and queen of Marquette. 

You're special.  You knew all along.  Admittedly, I did not.  I'd heard bits and pieces about his behavior, but nothing huge.

As for Buzz, I'd agree.  Buzz is like your 2nd husband you know will probably leave some time.  Admittedly, I'll still want him to regret leaving Marquette.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2013, 08:20:27 AM »
And believe me, if you don't think there are hundreds of coaches like Crean behind the scenes, you are kidding yourself.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2013, 08:32:42 AM »
It looks Tomasson is trying to replicate TC's do.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2013, 08:38:24 AM »
And to the wade bond...it goes back to trusting crean.  Anyone who watched a single practice in wades firsy year on campus knew he was a complete stud.  Not too many coaches that don't see $$$ in ensuring a solid relationship with someone like that, and I'm not sure creans other actions put him beyond doing anything other than what's best for him.  Think crean cares about all his players the way buzz does?  Would crean do what he did for wade for all his players...or just the ones destined for greatness...

That's not really fair. If one is going to rip Crean for the bad stuff, one has to credit him for the good stuff.

Wade was not a secret. Illinois, DePaul and others knew about him and would have loved to have him, but they either did not want to carry an academic non-qualifier for a year or their schools wouldn't let them. Crean recruited him hard, stuck by him, nurtured him through what had to be a difficult year not playing, got to the Final Four with him and now apparently has remained close with him.

There are many things we can get on Crean's case for, but his handling of Wade, from beginning to end, wouldn't seem to be one of them.

The fact that other coaches might or might not have done the exact same things concerning Wade is irrelevant. Crean actually did those things, and Marquette benefited greatly.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2013, 08:46:30 AM »
I hate him because I worked for him (mostly indirectly) in the Athletics department my sophomore and junior years and he's a total cock.

So, you didn't really work for him.

I interacted with Crean numerous times away from the court and traveled with the team on two separate occasions. Never once did I witness boorish behavior.

Typical of any human, some see good and some see bad. It's not 100% on either front.

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2013, 08:53:57 AM »
Great story.  Even though I've heard it a hundred times, it always gets me.  And I'm sure there are coaches all over the country at all different levels that are mentors to these kids who have no one else to look up to.  It's humbling to hear about these things.

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2013, 08:56:54 AM »
Also, credit Father Wild for having the flexibility to take on Wade?  I don't really know much about that part of the story, but it seems like Fr. Wild had a big part in allowing this whole thing to happen. 

klyrish

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2013, 09:26:08 AM »
As opposed to a complete ass?
That, too.

klyrish

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2013, 09:27:27 AM »
So, you didn't really work for him.
No, but he still felt the need to dictate to me and my team whenever something came up (i.e. his son's birthday) regardless of what we were doing (working on the Blue & Gold Fund website) and expected us to drop whatever it was and ask "how high?" as though we were his athletes and he was our king.

I interacted with Crean numerous times away from the court and traveled with the team on two separate occasions. Never once did I witness boorish behavior.
Cool story, bro. Since you had no problems, obviously I'm just making it up and he should be nominated for sainthood.