Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: ESPN is a Joke....  (Read 3578 times)

duanewade

• Team Captain
ESPN is a Joke....
« on: December 12, 2009, 05:54:09 PM »
They review every call on Wisconsin to question if it really is a foul and every silly call on us they don't challenge or review it and then go to a commercial.....this last hold call on DJO was absurd as well as the Acker offensive call....16 to 11 foul favor and most of them on us were not fouls at all. 

Bottom line is we've had our chances and have stunk the last five minutes when we could of gotten a lead. 

CrazyEcho

• Team Captain
Re: ESPN is a Joke....
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 05:58:58 PM »
agree re: the DJO foul, but Acker used his forearm to push-off. 

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 06:03:36 PM »
This loss isn't about poor officiating.  It's about poor effort on D and poor decision making on Offense.

MUeng

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 06:05:05 PM »
also:  buzz adams and odom-johnson were out tonight apparently for espn.  do they check anything?

CrazyEcho

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 06:05:47 PM »
We played them even for the last 35 minutes.  This is a young team and  I guess we were a bit shell-shocked.  I can't believe we tried to zone them like that.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 06:07:17 PM »
The zone actaully slowed them down. 

Agreed on the announcer i dont know waht those guys get paid a year but that was pathetic.  they also repeatedly called Buycks....bucks

duanewade

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 06:11:22 PM »
Officiating does matter and impacts games and it's absurd to say otherwise.....however we didn't deserve to win and lost as no one really stepped up, too many missed free throws, too many turnovers and it's clear that Marquette is a year away from being a dangerous team that can win tough games on the road....this year we should just enjoy watching the young talent make progress....next year even without Zar I'll be less patient.   

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 06:13:37 PM »
Officiating does matter and impacts games and it's absurd to say otherwise.....however we didn't deserve to win and lost as no one really stepped up, too many missed free throws, too many turnovers and it's clear that Marquette is a year away from being a dangerous team that can win tough games on the road....this year we should just enjoy watching the young talent make progress....next year even without Zar I'll be less patient.   

I didn't say otherwise.  My point is we lost this particular game on our own. 

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 06:28:17 PM »
We played them even for the last 35 minutes.  This is a young team and  I guess we were a bit shell-shocked.  I can't believe we tried to zone them like that.

I mostly agree - except it felt like we lost the game in the first 10 min (instead of 5).  After that, I thought we played a decent game, but just were playing from behind too much.  Can't come out of the gate that slow. 

Not happy, but not terribly shocked at the result either.

duanewade

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 06:30:57 PM »
Agree....we dug ourselves too big a hole in the first 10 minutes and had to play catch up the whole game. 

nyg

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 06:34:59 PM »
I mostly agree - except it felt like we lost the game in the first 10 min (instead of 5).  After that, I thought we played a decent game, but just were playing from behind too much.  Can't come out of the gate that slow. 

Not happy, but not terribly shocked at the result either.

First ten minutes were brutal and we got in a deep hole.  Team was looking for Hayward to score too much and he was not on.  He shot 8 for 21 with that bad start.  

Feel that someone else needs to take that burden off Hayward.  Next player on shot total was DJO with eight, remaining had an average of six shots.  

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2009, 10:40:21 PM »
I thought by and large the refereeing was fair and even.  MU tried to ride their guards and was getting called for it constantly.  Too much reaching...not enough moving with their feet.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2009, 10:51:34 PM »
I thought by and large the refereeing was fair and even.  MU tried to ride their guards and was getting called for it constantly.  Too much reaching...not enough moving with their feet.

One problem we have is when refs call a tight game outside the paint and let things go inside.  We are a team that thrives on getting fouls when in the paint, otherwise teams are able to use their height against us much more effectively.  This just happened to be one of those nights.  Wasn't necessarily calling in favor of one team, more in favor of one play style.

77champs

• Walk-On
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2009, 10:54:13 PM »
I think the reason we got so far behind in the first 10 minutes is the starting line up.  Why did we change from the success in Olando???

This team runs on energy and the starting line up today had none.   DJ or Buycks need to be on the floor at all times.  Starting Fulce, Acker and Cubian is crazy.   All you have to do is guard two people and it showed.  Why has Buzz gone away from success?    As soon as DJ and Buycks came in they went on a run and the pace picked up.   Buzz put us in a hole right away.

I really do not care how well players play in practice.   Al always said there were practice and Game time players.    The players with less talent play harder in practice as they have to while those with more skills will sometimes save it for the game.   We need to go with prime time game players or a good man to man in the big East will run us out of the gym in the first 10  minutes.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2009, 11:07:14 PM »
I think the reason we got so far behind in the first 10 minutes is the starting line up.  Why did we change from the success in Olando???

This team runs on energy and the starting line up today had none.   DJ or Buycks need to be on the floor at all times.  Starting Fulce, Acker and Cubian is crazy.   All you have to do is guard two people and it showed.  Why has Buzz gone away from success?    As soon as DJ and Buycks came in they went on a run and the pace picked up.   Buzz put us in a hole right away.

I really do not care how well players play in practice.   Al always said there were practice and Game time players.    The players with less talent play harder in practice as they have to while those with more skills will sometimes save it for the game.   We need to go with prime time game players or a good man to man in the big East will run us out of the gym in the first 10  minutes.

I agree. We're thin enough that Fulce, Acker and Cubillan need to play some minutes. But they should'nt be on the court at the same time, especially at the beginning of the game. Hard to get off to a quick start when your opponent only has to guard two guys.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2009, 02:36:33 PM »

I think Buzz was guarding against the late game flameout by trying to play less energetic defensive b-ball early to keep our legs strong late.  Didn't work, obviously, though we were strong to the end.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.