'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Will Wojo get fired at the end this season?

Yes
54 (22%)
No
192 (78%)

Total Members Voted: 246

Author Topic: Does Wojo get canned?  (Read 19491 times)

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
Re: Does Wojo get canned?
« Reply #125 on: February 10, 2021, 01:58:28 PM »
GW11:

Buzz went 11-22 in his first year at Virginia Tech. Was that some kind of "red flag"? Or was it simply the kind of thing that usually happens when a coach takes over a program?

With Wojo, I don't think a first-time head coach having a losing record after taking over a talent-shy program that had missed the postseason the year before is a "red flag" of anything. I mean, the following year he won 20 games and the year after that he put together a fun, NCAA-tourney team with two future stars and lots of good role players.

I also disagree that anything that happened in seasons 2, 3, 4 and most of 5 - up until 2/26/19 -
constituted anything close to a "red flag." The program clearly was in an upward trend during most of that time.

And to me, calling anything that happened since Hausershima a "red flag" is unnecessary. Hausershima -- with its mutiny and the letter and the collapse and the transfers and the embarrassment -- was THE red flag of Wojo's coaching tenure. Stuff that happened since then merely proved that Hausershima was a red flag. At least that's how I look at it.

Agree that it's not worth going on any further about this. I think we both agree that Wojo's gotta go.

And if you and I say so, it must be true!

Fair points.  Thanks for responding.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 02:17:31 PM by GoldenWarrior11 »

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #126 on: February 10, 2021, 08:19:10 PM »
I think maybe you and I simply define "red flag" differently. I define "red flag" as a signal of danger, a truly ominous sign. And no, I don't think Wojo going 13-19 his first year was a "red flag." Does anybody need to list the very good to great coaches who had bad records their first year at their first big coaching job? The list would be so darn long your eyes would cross leading it.

As I said in my (perhaps too sarcastic) response, would you say the team's solid 2016-17 season, Wojo's third at MU, was a "green flag"? Him losing his first NCAA tournament game to end that season was not a "red flag." Again, the list of coaches who had that same result would include numerous Hall of Famers. The program was progressing. We made the tourney, and we had two freshmen who looked like they could be stars. IMHO it wasn't a "red flag" of anything that they lost that tourney game to a home team that went on to reach the Final Four.

If we're looking for a "red flag" to agree on, it was Hausershima. It concerned me greatly at the time but I thought that its biggest impact would be on recruiting. When Wojo went out and landed Garcia, Lewis, Oso and DJ despite Hausershima, I probably dismissed the negatives too quickly. But yes, it was a major "red flag."

By the time we got to last year's collapse, it wasn't really a red flag in my eyes because a majority of Scoopers already were convinced he wasn't good enough. The doom already had been expected. And this season's losing record? Heck, just about all of us are convinced he's the wrong guy for the job.

Just my take. Others are allowed to disagree.

I hear you.

I consider the number of blowout loses we've had over the last few years a red flag.  As I consider the late season collapses.

Throw in a complete lack of success in MM and the same problems appearing year after year (turnovers, lack of offensive continuity, etc...), and you have a good list of red flags, imo.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #127 on: February 10, 2021, 08:22:11 PM »
GW11:

Buzz went 11-22 in his first year at Virginia Tech. Was that some kind of "red flag"? Or was it simply the kind of thing that usually happens when a coach takes over a program?

With Wojo, I don't think a first-time head coach having a losing record after taking over a talent-shy program that had missed the postseason the year before is a "red flag" of anything. I mean, the following year he won 20 games and the year after that he put together a fun, NCAA-tourney team with two future stars and lots of good role players.

I also disagree that anything that happened in seasons 2, 3, 4 and most of 5 - up until 2/26/19 -
constituted anything close to a "red flag." The program clearly was in an upward trend during most of that time.

And to me, calling anything that happened since Hausershima a "red flag" is unnecessary. Hausershima -- with its mutiny and the letter and the collapse and the transfers and the embarrassment -- was THE red flag of Wojo's coaching tenure. Stuff that happened since then merely proved that Hausershima was a red flag. At least that's how I look at it.

Agree that it's not worth going on any further about this. I think we both agree that Wojo's gotta go.

And if you and I say so, it must be true!

Losing to Omaha in 2014 and then Belmont in 2015 were the only flags I ever needed to see.

Edit: I'll add the win against iupui in overtime. That was another awful game.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #128 on: February 10, 2021, 08:22:20 PM »
Will he or should he

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #129 on: February 10, 2021, 08:58:42 PM »
I hear you.

I consider the number of blowout loses we've had over the last few years a red flag.  As I consider the late season collapses.

Throw in a complete lack of success in MM and the same problems appearing year after year (turnovers, lack of offensive continuity, etc...), and you have a good list of red flags, imo.

Oddly there have been few blowout losses this year despite a worse overall team. Unfortunately, the team has largely not been able to close out games or complete comebacks.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #130 on: February 10, 2021, 09:19:02 PM »
Oddly there have been few blowout losses this year despite a worse overall team. Unfortunately, the team has largely not been able to close out games or complete comebacks.

This is the truth.  Vlose games.  Poor finishes. 

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #131 on: February 10, 2021, 09:43:43 PM »

This game isn't trending well...

panda

• All American
« Reply #132 on: February 10, 2021, 09:55:12 PM »
He's not giving the administration a choice at this point.....

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #133 on: February 10, 2021, 10:07:32 PM »
They shouldn't let him on the plane. Someone in the athletic department should be boxing up his stuff in his office and they should leave it on his front lawn tonight

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #134 on: February 10, 2021, 10:26:18 PM »
For the record, I did vote yes. Wonder how many will want to change their votes.

Wojo won't be our coach next season.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #135 on: February 10, 2021, 10:32:42 PM »
I wash my hands of this as I wanted to take ESPN’s crappy deal 8 to 10 Years ago and remain in control of the conference. That said is Nate Oates of Alabama from Watertown, WI available or the Catholic John Beilein. Am for MU winning.

warriorstrack

• All American
  • Keep the wallet in the pocket
« Reply #136 on: February 10, 2021, 10:36:02 PM »

Season ain’t over yet :/, trying to be positive, this team is snake bit, we may get 2 more wins to give us “hope” for next year, this has been a very disappointing season with all the tired legs and rust, it’s hard to keep up, what was tonight, blown tire?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #137 on: February 10, 2021, 10:53:53 PM »
They shouldn't let him on the plane. Someone in the athletic department should be boxing up his stuff in his office and they should leave it on his front lawn tonight

I was laughing as I read this and tried to imagine Wojo not being allowed on the plane. Great stuff.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #138 on: February 10, 2021, 10:56:23 PM »
That said is Nate Oates of Alabama from Watertown, WI available

Nate Oates just dying to leave his star studded roster & 5 star incoming freshman in SEC to take over this dumpster fire and compete against DePaul for last place

Wardle come on down

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #139 on: February 10, 2021, 11:09:51 PM »
Forget the new ongoing $115 million basketball facility upgrades at Coleman Coliseum. Forget the Power 5 Conference. Forget the $2.5 Million a year contract. Forget all of the other positives and perks .....Nate Oates lived in Wisconsin twenty years ago.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 11:21:56 PM by shoothoops »

lostpassword

• Starter
« Reply #140 on: February 10, 2021, 11:10:46 PM »
I was laughing as I read this and tried to imagine Wojo not being allowed on the plane. Great stuff.

muwarrior97

• All American
  • CALVACADE OF BRICKS
« Reply #141 on: February 10, 2021, 11:20:22 PM »
Can you add another Poll Option....C) I wish
#RGV #ReturnTheWarriorMindset

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #142 on: February 10, 2021, 11:54:46 PM »
As recently as two months ago, there were posters on here smugly stating that Wojo's seat is ice cold.  If he's retained next year, he'll be on every "hot seat" list in the country.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #143 on: February 11, 2021, 12:27:42 AM »
Nate Oates just dying to leave his star studded roster & 5 star incoming freshman in SEC to take over this dumpster fire and compete against DePaul for last place

Wardle come on down

Agree it will probably be Wardle. Brian was always nice and would say hi to our Family as a player. Brian is an awesome choice but just think maybe we can do better. Maybe Catholic Beilein. Either way We Are Marquette Go Marquette Win!

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #144 on: February 11, 2021, 04:16:11 AM »
Nah. Won't happen. Too broke to have it delivered to his lawn
 Ask any of the Wojo worshippers and they will chime in that MU does not have the shekels to let Wojo walk.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #145 on: February 11, 2021, 04:43:34 AM »
Woj has turned this program into a joke, a clusterfook,  and a fookin' dumpster fire, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"