'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2016-17 Schedule  (Read 69765 times)

WarriorInNYC

• All American
Re: 2016-17 Schedule
« Reply #225 on: July 13, 2016, 11:42:57 AM »
To complete the analysis, you'd also have to look at the number of season ticket holders in a given year. There is a baked number of tickets already, and as you point out UWM barely cleared more "walk ups" than someone like Northern Colorado and we had to give up a games worth of revenue to get that.

UWM can go suck a lemon.

I would also throw out the first game in computing the average attendance.  As that game is going to receive a larger draw, regardless of opponent.  Though I don't think it would make much of a difference in this analysis.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #226 on: July 13, 2016, 11:56:17 AM »
RPI wise, really would have preferred Gardner-Webb or Eastern Michigan. We got the short end of the stick there.

However, with the rest of the opening schedule I can't be too disappointed. The remaining cupcakes need to solid and we'll be in good shape. Vandy, Michigan, Pitt/SMU, Wisconsin, Georgia, Fresno State are all good games.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #227 on: July 13, 2016, 12:07:24 PM »
Schedule says 12/6.
Does it?
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CnQDeg-WYAAOWtb.jpg

MarquetteMBB ‏@MarquetteMBB  · 3h3 hours ago 

.@Bucks schedule will determine game date vs. @FresnoStateMBB. #mubb claimed 1st meeting in 1979.

If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #228 on: July 13, 2016, 12:09:32 PM »
RPI wise, really would have preferred Gardner-Webb or Eastern Michigan.

Me too, but IUPUI took Marquette to overtime last season.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #229 on: July 13, 2016, 12:16:37 PM »
Does it?
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CnQDeg-WYAAOWtb.jpg

MarquetteMBB ‏@MarquetteMBB  · 3h3 hours ago 

.@Bucks schedule will determine game date vs. @FresnoStateMBB. #mubb claimed 1st meeting in 1979.
It does, but I didn't see that tweet.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #230 on: July 13, 2016, 12:18:20 PM »
RPI wise, really would have preferred Gardner-Webb or Eastern Michigan. We got the short end of the stick there.

However, with the rest of the opening schedule I can't be too disappointed. The remaining cupcakes need to solid and we'll be in good shape. Vandy, Michigan, Pitt/SMU, Wisconsin, Georgia, Fresno State are all good games.

If IUPUI can finish in top 200 in RPI again, or even top 250, it'll be OK. 

I hope that we still have another neutral site game, plus two more buys in the 100-200 range. 10 games scheduled and released now (including UW), so still 3 more to announce.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #231 on: July 13, 2016, 12:22:46 PM »
If IUPUI can finish in top 200 in RPI again, or even top 250, it'll be OK. 

I hope that we still have another neutral site game, plus two more buys in the 100-200 range. 10 games scheduled and released now (including UW), so still 3 more to announce.

To expect a 150ish RPI game during that slot before Christmas (excluding the 17th itself) isn't realistic in my mine.  Just hope for 275-300, not 325-350.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #232 on: July 13, 2016, 12:36:20 PM »
To expect a 150ish RPI game during that slot before Christmas (excluding the 17th itself) isn't realistic in my mine.  Just hope for 275-300, not 325-350.

Just curious why you think that?  150ish RPI teams have to play games too.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #233 on: July 13, 2016, 12:55:48 PM »
This is where we need to remember Jay Bee's comment that RPI doesn't really matter. IUPUI went 12-18 in games that mattered last year. Sure their RPI was good but you're better off playing a team that actually wins games. Could be worse, but EMU and GWU both looked like better bets.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #234 on: July 13, 2016, 01:05:29 PM »
With respect to UWM - while it may not generate any more walk up, it probably does generate more people actually showing up.  As a 23 year STH I eat more and more buy games every year.  I would always attend a UWM or UWGB game.  And I know many around me feel the same way.  The problem we have as MU fans is MU has very little incentive to make sure we show up.  They get minimal concessions and minimal merchandise from the BMO BC so once they've sold the seat, they're done.   
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #235 on: July 13, 2016, 01:24:45 PM »
With respect to UWM - while it may not generate any more walk up, it probably does generate more people actually showing up.  As a 23 year STH I eat more and more buy games every year.  I would always attend a UWM or UWGB game.  And I know many around me feel the same way.  The problem we have as MU fans is MU has very little incentive to make sure we show up.  They get minimal concessions and minimal merchandise from the BMO BC so once they've sold the seat, they're done.
I went to the last UWGB game at the BC, and to your point, the people actually showed up in the stands. Lower Bowl was full and significant amount of people in the uppers. School was out.  I believe these local teams have a place in our schedule  as an alternative  to the junk buy games we consistently get.

Look at Michigan State, they consistently have Oakland, EMU, WMU, CMU, Detroit on their schedule. They sell out every game regardless, so they obviously see value in it.

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #236 on: July 13, 2016, 01:29:53 PM »

Look at Michigan State, they consistently have Oakland, EMU, WMU, CMU, Detroit on their schedule. They sell out every game regardless, so they obviously see value in it.

A smaller stadium and much larger fan base helps a little I think.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #237 on: July 13, 2016, 01:46:34 PM »
I went to the last UWGB game at the BC, and to your point, the people actually showed up in the stands. Lower Bowl was full and significant amount of people in the uppers. School was out.  I believe these local teams have a place in our schedule  as an alternative  to the junk buy games we consistently get.

Marquette isn't Michigan State.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #238 on: July 13, 2016, 02:02:27 PM »

I'm not sold on Gardner-Webb, they lose 4 starters and will have a done year. I actually think IUPUI might be the better team. Howard will have a low RPI but they are almost guaranteed to have a winning conference record. Could end up being a decent cupcake for our RPI.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #239 on: July 13, 2016, 02:08:34 PM »
Just curious why you think that?  150ish RPI teams have to play games too.

Because with the exception of some quality H/H (Vandy and ASU a few years ago come to mind), Marquette has often played some of its weakest opponents in that week before Christmas.  You know, those teams that do 3 week road trips in late December so they can afford gas for the bus during their conference season.  Last year Chicago State, the year before Alabama A&M.  Stuff like that.

Look, our non-con is already credible.  I'd be very surprised is another team better than RPI 225 is announced.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #240 on: July 13, 2016, 02:11:58 PM »

But Marquette is in the State of Michigan. Am I right?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #241 on: July 13, 2016, 02:24:34 PM »
Because with the exception of some quality H/H (Vandy and ASU a few years ago come to mind), Marquette has often played some of its weakest opponents in that week before Christmas. You know, those teams that do 3 week road trips in late December so they can afford gas for the bus during their conference season.  Last year Chicago State, the year before Alabama A&M.  Stuff like that.

Look, our non-con is already credible.  I'd be very surprised is another team better than RPI 225 is announced.

I know that is what recent history seems to indicate will be the case , but I hope that they've learned. If MU's final three games to be announced are all dog poop teams, we're still going to be hurting from an RPI perspective, barring some real surprise seasons from Western Carolina, Houston Baptist, and whatever else is rolled out.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #242 on: July 13, 2016, 02:27:42 PM »
I know that is what recent history seems to indicate will be the case , but I hope that they've learned. If MU's final three games to be announced are all dog poop teams, we're still going to be hurting from an RPI perspective, barring some real surprise seasons from Western Carolina, Houston Baptist, and whatever else is rolled out.

I'm simply suggesting that we temper our expectations and pray we avoid Grambling or Chicago St. again.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #243 on: July 13, 2016, 03:15:52 PM »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #244 on: July 13, 2016, 03:19:35 PM »

We aspire to be though.
            ---Al McGuire

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #245 on: July 13, 2016, 04:38:20 PM »
We aspire to be though.

Right.  The way Marquette becomes Michigan State is by whooping up on Horizon League in-state opponents.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #246 on: July 13, 2016, 04:41:14 PM »

Right.  The way Marquette becomes Michigan State is by whooping up on Horizon League in-state opponents.
I would prefer the in state games to Grambling and North Carolina Central.
            ---Al McGuire

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #247 on: July 13, 2016, 06:26:18 PM »
Because Marquette isn't stupid. You don't pay a team to drive across town the same as you would fly a team to fly into Milwaukee.

That's just a stupid way to run a business. you don't make decisions based on pride or the other businesses profit. You make the decision based on what's best for you. If UWM is the same price as a southern school but you get an opponent with better RPI and interest from the fanbase you take that deal. Who cares if UWM profits? It just sounds petty and cheap to take away a game lots of fans would be interested in seeing.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #248 on: July 13, 2016, 08:32:03 PM »
That's just a stupid way to run a business. you don't make decisions based on pride or the other businesses profit. You make the decision based on what's best for you. If UWM is the same price as a southern school but you get an opponent with better RPI and interest from the fanbase you take that deal. Who cares if UWM profits? It just sounds petty and cheap to take away a game lots of fans would be interested in seeing.
One of my fundamental rules of business is don't look in the other guys pocket. Be satisfied with what works for you.
            ---Al McGuire

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #249 on: July 13, 2016, 08:41:37 PM »

"Lots of fans"  LOL.  Not really.

And UWM can take it or leave it.  They don't take it, they can go somewhere else. 

feedback