'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by rocket surgeon
[Today at 04:10:17 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Quinerly not living up to expectations; pops off  (Read 6978 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
Re: Quinerly not living up to expectations; pops off
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 08:47:24 PM »
Referenced elsewhere.   But yes, he and Jay are not seeing eye to eye.  Jay won't play him unless he plays the Villanova way.  And JQ is ticked.   Assuming there will be a separation.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 11:01:46 PM »
Referenced elsewhere.   But yes, he and Jay are not seeing eye to eye.  Jay won't play him unless he plays the Villanova way.  And JQ is ticked.   Assuming there will be a separation.
This case is a great example as to why the recruit rankings are to be taken with a grain of salt. Until the kid gets on campus it is hard to truly know how they respond to adversity. Quinerly will eventually get a chance during conference season and it will be interesting to see how he performs.
            ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 11:35:20 PM »
This case is a great example as to why the recruit rankings are to be taken with a grain of salt. Until the kid gets on campus it is hard to truly know how they respond to adversity. Quinerly will eventually get a chance during conference season and it will be interesting to see how he performs.

Agree with this.

But I wonder how those who rip Wojo even when things are going well would handle it if this exact situation were taking place under his watch.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 07:15:03 AM »
We already know.  And we are not allowed to compare Wojo to Wright.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 07:53:53 AM »

But I wonder how those who rip Wojo even when things are going well would handle it if this exact situation were taking place under his watch.

Tell you what, win 4 straight conference championships and two national titles and we'll give wojo the benefit of the doubt.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2018, 08:08:09 AM »
We already know.  And we are not allowed to compare Wojo to Wright.
We can certainly compare Wright to Wojo...but the comparisons work both ways.  Perhaps the best comparison would be the first five years for each of them at Nova and MU.  Wright went to 3 NIT's, then a S16, then an E8.  I'm not sure that comparison makes me feel good.  In the process he overcame a phone card scandal, landed top recruiting classes, and developed talent to to an E8 level. 

So you can certainly compare Wojo to Wright...but you can't cherry pick what you want to compare.  Bottom line...if Wojo wins as many games/championships as Wright we'll all be very happy fans. 

At this point, MU is where I would have hoped they would be this season...kudos to Wojo for that. 

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2018, 08:09:13 AM »
please remember this when telling us how great every HS player is going to be...and that MU should be recruiting them.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2018, 08:15:44 AM »
Tell you what, win 4 straight conference championships and two national titles and we'll give wojo the benefit of the doubt.

Wow, tough crowd.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2018, 08:24:45 AM »
At this point, MU is where I would have hoped they would be this season...kudos to Wojo for that.

Agree with the post, but most definitely this.  (I'm cherry picking quotes)
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2018, 08:59:43 AM »
I don't know enough about the ranking process, but do they even attempt to take into consideration an individual's character?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2018, 09:53:22 AM »
We can certainly compare Wright to Wojo...but the comparisons work both ways.  Perhaps the best comparison would be the first five years for each of them at Nova and MU.  Wright went to 3 NIT's, then a S16, then an E8.  I'm not sure that comparison makes me feel good.  In the process he overcame a phone card scandal, landed top recruiting classes, and developed talent to to an E8 level. 

So you can certainly compare Wojo to Wright...but you can't cherry pick what you want to compare.  Bottom line...if Wojo wins as many games/championships as Wright we'll all be very happy fans. 

We don’t really know what year 5 is going to bring for Wojo. If he gets to the S16, given what he brings back and that he adds what should be an impact transfer going into next season, while it’s not as good as Wright’s first 5 years, it’s not terribly far off.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2018, 10:54:29 AM »
Not saying Wojo is going to duplicate Jay Wright's success, but it's worth clarifying one thing about the comparison. Wright wasn't a first-time head coach when he started at Nova. He coached Hofstra for 7 years before that -- with three losing seasons and no NCAA appearances in his first five years.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2018, 12:10:22 PM »
What do you think about the Ellenson experiment with regards to the Mojo first-5.

we were awful the year before...and 20-13 with Henry and a win over UW...and almost tourney worthy.

but there was something unsatisfying about him leaving after 1-year (didn't "unpack his bags" as Wojo hoped). And brother Wally disappeared.

1-n-done might be a good problem to have...but did Ellenson help the trajectory or just cause us to reset the next year?

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2018, 12:54:46 PM »
What do you think about the Ellenson experiment with regards to the Mojo first-5.

we were awful the year before...and 20-13 with Henry and a win over UW...and almost tourney worthy.

but there was something unsatisfying about him leaving after 1-year (didn't "unpack his bags" as Wojo hoped). And brother Wally disappeared.

1-n-done might be a good problem to have...but did Ellenson help the trajectory or just cause us to reset the next year?

Short term-reset, long-term positive as it showed high level talent can go 1 & done at MU

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2018, 12:58:55 PM »
I don't know enough about the ranking process, but do they even attempt to take into consideration an individual's character?

Some do, some don’t. As evaluators, it’s necessary to identify some of the outliers. There are examples of kids with identified issues I’ve seen... and 8 times out of 10, there are issues in college.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2018, 12:00:09 PM »

Do you know of a problem with Quinerly's character?

I've known the kid for three years now and haven't seen anything to that question.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2018, 12:59:07 PM »

I've known the kid for three years now and haven't seen anything to that question.
No, my question wasn't specific to this kid who I know nothing about.  MUFINY made a comment that rankings don't tell you how a kid will react to adversity. 

My question was about whether the rankings themselves (not the recruiters, who presumably obviously take character into account to whatever degree fits with their school) actually try to factor such things in.  I was guessing not, that a kid's ranking was almost wholly based on on-the-court abilities, but was asking those who know about it than me.

Wasn't intended to be a shot at this kid, who as I say I know nothing about other than some poor decisions on social media.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2018, 02:16:21 PM »
Yeah, he didn't play a minute today subsequent to his social media mistake.  Prior to game, I thought it was 50/50 he leaves, now I am up to 70/30.  Even though it was a stupid thing, fans and coaches don't forget. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2018, 02:22:42 PM »

Parrish and Norlander were talking about the NYC based Jelly Fam group that Quinerly came out of. The gist of it seemed to be that while they have elevated the perspective of NYC area players, the viral mixtapes have also created unreal expectations for kids coming out of that background.

It wasn't necessarily anything negative about Quinerly, moreso that he may have come in with unrealistic expectations of what his role would be, and that 'Nova losing DiVincenzo and Spellman meant they had fewer leaders to establish the culture that led to guys like Hart, Brunson, Arcidiacono, Bridges, and others growing up humble in the system.

It'll be interesting to see if he sticks it out or transfers. One of those situations where I'm not sure the grass would be any greener elsewhere for him.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2018, 03:16:42 PM »
Parrish and Norlander were talking about the NYC based Jelly Fam group that Quinerly came out of. The gist of it seemed to be that while they have elevated the perspective of NYC area players, the viral mixtapes have also created unreal expectations for kids coming out of that background.

It wasn't necessarily anything negative about Quinerly, moreso that he may have come in with unrealistic expectations of what his role would be, and that 'Nova losing DiVincenzo and Spellman meant they had fewer leaders to establish the culture that led to guys like Hart, Brunson, Arcidiacono, Bridges, and others growing up humble in the system.

It'll be interesting to see if he sticks it out or transfers. One of those situations where I'm not sure the grass would be any greener elsewhere for him.
Kid had almost a million views on mixtape. They start believing their own hype sometimes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpyMvHeQZlQ
            ---Al McGuire

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2018, 03:24:15 PM »
Kid had almost a million views on mixtape. They start believing their own hype sometimes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpyMvHeQZlQ

Sandy Cohen looked like a one and done in his mixtape as well.

I’m not too surprised to see Quinerly staying at Nova for the time being. I’m guessing he declares for the draft after this year regardless of how his season plays out.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2018, 04:29:23 PM »
Just Love the Quinerly and Grimes stats. One is a pouter and the other
overrated. Like Jay Wright's stand--one player does not make a team.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2018, 03:31:17 PM »
Looking back at the game logs, 5-star Vander Blue had 6 games during his freshman season when he played less than 10 minutes. He came to Marquette with a ton of athleticism and potential, but needed to learn how to harness it. Part of a coach's job is helping young players figure that out.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2018, 03:38:52 PM »
Looking back at the game logs, 5-star Vander Blue had 6 games during his freshman season when he played less than 10 minutes. He came to Marquette with a ton of athleticism and potential, but needed to learn how to harness it. Part of a coach's job is helping young players figure that out.

I agree but Vander and JJJ were boarderline 5stars by one service each. JQ was a verified All American and those guys generally have the expectation they'll be able to showcase themselves
Maigh Eo for Sam

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2018, 03:42:42 PM »
Earl Tatum.Grimes is not overrated.You will see.People said the same thing about Butch Lee when he had a stretch when he struggled his Freshman year.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2018, 04:07:18 PM »
I agree but Vander and JJJ were boarderline 5stars by one service each. JQ was a verified All American and those guys generally have the expectation they'll be able to showcase themselves

Quinerly was 29th in the RSCI composite, with no system giving him a rank higher than 26. He may have been an All American, but he was still a fringe 5-star.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2018, 04:16:09 PM »
Quinerly was 29th in the RSCI composite, with no system giving him a rank higher than 26. He may have been an All American, but he was still a fringe 5-star.

Really? Huh the nova fans on HLOH were acting like he was a top 20 recruit
Maigh Eo for Sam

Class71

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2018, 05:28:20 PM »
Am I the only one tired of hearing about Wojo and comparing him to Wright? Can we get past all of this and simply focus on our success to date. If we keep winning we should all be happy. Frankly I do not give a rats ___ if I was right or wrong about Wojo nor should you. In fact if we win I do not care if he is the worst coach in the world or the best. Yes, it is all about winning for Marquette. Nothing more.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

MU82

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2018, 08:36:46 AM »
Am I the only one tired of hearing about Wojo and comparing him to Wright? Can we get past all of this and simply focus on our success to date.

This is all cool as long as dozens of Scoopers don't react to the next loss as if Wojo is the worst coach ever.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2018, 08:51:40 AM »
Tired of hearing about Wojo?  Odd choice for  a  MU basketball site where former coaches are still frequently discussed and compared.

Comparing him to Wright?  There isn't one currently.  It sprung up as a response to calls for Wojo's head.  I hereby pledge to not compare Wojo's first few years to Wright's until somebody posts 'Fire Wojo' after Marquette's next loss or narrower than expected victory.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2018, 02:32:09 PM »
This is all cool as long as dozens of Scoopers don't react to the next loss as if Wojo is the worst coach ever.
It is worse at a barbershop in a small town in Indiana after the high school team loses a big game.
            ---Al McGuire

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2018, 02:46:02 PM »
Am I the only one tired of hearing about Wojo and comparing him to Wright? Can we get past all of this and simply focus on our success to date. If we keep winning we should all be happy. Frankly I do not give a rats ___ if I was right or wrong about Wojo nor should you. In fact if we win I do not care if he is the worst coach in the world or the best. Yes, it is all about winning for Marquette. Nothing more.

It's never going to be "all about winning" at Marquette......might want to start following SEC football schools if winning is the be all end all for you.

feedback