[Today at 01:25:20 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[Today at 11:39:44 AM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by muwarrior69
[Today at 11:22:07 AM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MU82
[May 20, 2024, 10:14:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Rutgers Showing They Belong In The Big Ten  (Read 4303 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Rutgers Showing They Belong In The Big Ten
« on: May 13, 2014, 11:15:09 AM »
Rutgers Throws Quarterback Nelson Off Team After Assault Arrest

May 13 (Bloomberg) -- Rutgers University dismissed transfer quarterback Philip Nelson from its football program, two days after the former University of Minnesota passer was arrested on probable assault charges following a fight that left another former football player from Minnesota in critical condition.

Nelson, 20, was arrested early on the morning of May 11 in his home town of Mankato, Minnesota, after police found 24-year-old Isaac Kolstad injured as a victim of an attack. Charges of third-degree assault were being requested against Nelson, the Mankato Department of Public Safety said on its website. A second suspect is still being sought.

Nelson didn’t return a message sent to his Rutgers e-mail address. Jim Fleming, Nelson’s attorney, didn’t immediately return a voicemail message left at his office in Mankato.

Kolstad, 24, a former football player for Minnesota State University, Mankato, was found unconscious after being kicked twice in the head, according to the StarTribune of Minneapolis. As of Sunday evening he remained in critical condition, had undergone surgery and his brain had sustained permanent damage, the newspaper said, citing a statement by Kolstad’s father.

“The Rutgers football family’s thoughts and prayers are with Isaac Kolstad and his family,” Scarlet Knights coach Kyle Flood said in a statement while disclosing Nelson’s dismissal on the school’s website.

Kolstad’s family has set up a website to provide updates on his status while accepting donations and prayers.

Nelson transferred to New Brunswick, New Jersey-based Rutgers in January and would have had to sit out the 2014 season under college transfer rules. He started nine games and played in 12 last year for Minnesota, completing 94 of 186 pass attempts for 1,306 yards and nine touchdowns.

Skitch

• All American
Re: Rutgers Showing They Belong In The Big Ten
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 11:45:07 AM »
What does this have to do with showing they belong in the big ten? Or with Marquette basketball?

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 11:55:50 AM »
Superbar

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 12:31:17 PM »
Ooooh, let me scour the Internet for an article that makes the nation's most powerful conference look bad.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 12:44:18 PM »
They were reporting this story all morning out this way.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 01:26:50 PM »
Superbar

I always marvel at these self-appointed screeners.  As if the moderators could not figure this out alone.

And, in the off-season, why do we care that much?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 01:28:32 PM »
I always marvel at these self-appointed screeners.  As if the moderators could not figure this out alone.

And, in the off-season, why do we care that much?

Because it is off-topic and we have a board readily available for this topic.

Why make the moderators do work that you don't bother doing? 

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 01:48:32 PM »
The bottom line is a young man with a young child and pregnant wife is fighting for his life because of some goon.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 01:56:24 PM »
Ooooh, let me scour the Internet for an article that makes the nation's most powerful conference look bad.

More powerful than the SEC? No freaking way.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 01:59:38 PM »

Yeah it is.  Just watch the next television contract and how much each school pulls in.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 02:19:09 PM »
The bottom line is a young man with a young child and pregnant wife is fighting for his life because of some goon.
God, you'd think as a society we're at that point where we understand even one blow to the head can result in permanent damage, a very, very long prison sentence, and a lot of ruined lives. Obviously, booze probably plays a big role in a lot of these incidents.

source?

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2014, 02:34:39 PM »

The SEC may have more success in football, but they are not as powerful as the Big Ten. The SEC has a lot more ground to make up in areas besides football than the Big Ten has to make up in football.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 03:10:16 PM by source? »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2014, 02:45:37 PM »

Yeah it is.  Just watch the next television contract and how much each school pulls in.

I agree, for now. Wait til the SEC Network gets going in the Fall. The SEC will catch and surpass the B1G.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2014, 03:19:38 PM »
Conferences are not measured on the field of play.  If they were we wouldn't be going to Omaha or Indianapolis every year.  The Big Ten offers the right combination of iconic brands, passionate fan bases and DMAs. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2014, 03:33:21 PM »
I agree, for now. Wait til the SEC Network gets going in the Fall. The SEC will catch and surpass the B1G.

We'll see.  I doubt they will anytime soon.

source?

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2014, 03:46:36 PM »

You may be right, and time will tell. I will say that the Big Ten has all the advantages it could need to maintain a strong position. They have, on average, 8,000 more students than SEC schools, higher academic rankings, larger endowments, and more varied markets. I would also argue that the Big Ten owns every market they are in with the exceptions of Rutgers and possibly Maryland. In the SEC you have Florida, Georgia, and Texas A&M all competing with other name brand institutions for their markets.

That said, I'm no expert and have no behind the scenes knowledge. You could be 100% right.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2014, 08:48:28 PM »
There was a lot of booze.

These two went to rival high schools.  A second person was also arrested.

Just effin stupid.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2014, 10:05:32 AM »
You may be right, and time will tell. I will say that the Big Ten has all the advantages it could need to maintain a strong position. They have, on average, 8,000 more students than SEC schools, higher academic rankings, larger endowments, and more varied markets. I would also argue that the Big Ten owns every market they are in with the exceptions of Rutgers and possibly Maryland. In the SEC you have Florida, Georgia, and Texas A&M all competing with other name brand institutions for their markets.

That said, I'm no expert and have no behind the scenes knowledge. You could be 100% right.

you should probably add Northwestern to that list but otherwise I agree

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2014, 10:20:04 AM »
Chicago is a Big Ten market, not because of Northwestern, but because every other B10 university has a huge alumni presence in the city.