'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 16, 2024, 06:05:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2016 Coaching carousel thread  (Read 102834 times)

LAZER

• All American
Re: 2016 Coaching carousel thread
« Reply #225 on: March 28, 2016, 03:29:52 PM »

I expect Bryce Drew will be there as soon as Valpo's season ends.  My guess is Rice is a fallback in case Drew gets tempted to go elsewhere.
I know it's risky, but I think Drew is better off passing on the SLU job.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #226 on: March 28, 2016, 03:32:18 PM »
SLU has a great opportunity. Newer nice facilities, a heavily involved basketball booster, no school President obstacle of the previous 25 years.  Top 20 market that supports them well when successful/competitive.  It's a big hire for them.

I agree with this completely.  I think they are the most logical candidate for BE expansion, *IF* they start winning.  They have invested a bunch in the program and I think they know this is an incredibly important hire.

I think the SLU job is a lot better than people think.  I think it is a lot better than when Rick took it.

AZMarqfan

• Starter
« Reply #227 on: March 28, 2016, 04:32:51 PM »
@GoodmanESPN
Santa Clara has hired Herb Sendek, sources told ESPN.

glad to see this for my alma mater.  Hiring a young assistant didn't work last time, so I prefer the veteran route

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #228 on: March 28, 2016, 04:54:42 PM »
glad to see this for my alma mater.  Hiring a young assistant didn't work last time, so I prefer the veteran route

Santa Clara hired a grizzled vet to get them ready to compete in the Big East Western Division with the Zags, USF, LMU, BYU, Seattle U, USD, and Portland.

Death on call

Zephyr820

• Walk-On
« Reply #229 on: March 28, 2016, 05:19:59 PM »
SLU has been a pretty much terrible program for the past 40 or so years barring a few islands in the desert.  They aren't remotely close to a Big East program.   Overtime, they've been much more like the past couple years than the couple years before that

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #230 on: March 28, 2016, 05:26:49 PM »
@GoodmanESPN
Santa Clara has hired Herb Sendek, sources told ESPN.

Markus Howard to Santa Clara?

AZMarqfan

• Starter
« Reply #231 on: March 28, 2016, 09:46:08 PM »
Santa Clara hired a grizzled vet to get them ready to compete in the Big East Western Division with the Zags, USF, LMU, BYU, Seattle U, USD, and Portland.

Did Seattle join the WCC?  I knew BYU and Pacific joined in recent years, but didn't catch Seattle.  The WCC has some nice years.  It's got three strong programs now (Gonzaga, BYU, and St. Mary's), and several programs that rotate through "decent-to-good" every few years (Santa Clara, San Diego).    Portland has been a joke outside of one recent season.  Also, what happened to Pacific?  They once were a solid team in their old conference, and are now awful in the WCC

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #232 on: March 28, 2016, 09:50:22 PM »
Portland has been a joke outside of one recent season.  Also, what happened to Pacific?  They once were a solid team in their old conference, and are now awful in the WCC

Damon Stoudamire was a pretty splashy hire for Pacific.

Anyone know if Terry Porter is still interested in the Portland Pilots job? Heard he was a week or two ago

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #233 on: March 28, 2016, 09:52:29 PM »
Did Seattle join the WCC?  I knew BYU and Pacific joined in recent years, but didn't catch Seattle.  The WCC has some nice years.  It's got three strong programs now (Gonzaga, BYU, and St. Mary's), and several programs that rotate through "decent-to-good" every few years (Santa Clara, San Diego).    Portland has been a joke outside of one recent season.  Also, what happened to Pacific?  They once were a solid team in their old conference, and are now awful in the WCC

No, Gonzaga lobbied hard to keep Seattle U out when they returned to D1. They're in the WAC with an...interesting assortment of schools and have struggled to gain footing thus far.

Goatherder

• Starter
« Reply #234 on: March 28, 2016, 10:22:53 PM »

He turned down Washington State when they had their most recent opening.

Wazzou is a tough job, out in the middle of nowhere.  They have had some good and successful coaches, but they do not stay there. 

Goatherder

• Starter
« Reply #235 on: March 28, 2016, 10:25:16 PM »

I am not at all sure Bryce Drew goes anywhere considering his family's connection to Valpo.  Scott left for Baylor when they practically begged him to take the job after the Dave Bliss scandal.  They really had to push the religious angle to get him there.   Bryce could remain at Valpo for the rest of his career like his dad did. 

Goatherder

• Starter
« Reply #236 on: March 28, 2016, 10:29:46 PM »
SLU has been a pretty much terrible program for the past 40 or so years barring a few islands in the desert.  They aren't remotely close to a Big East program.   Overtime, they've been much more like the past couple years than the couple years before that

I do not know that that is the case.  SLU got pretty good when they were in the Great Midwest with Marquette and Charlie Spoonhauer took over.  They were also pretty good under Lorenzo Romar.  The Majerus turned them around after Brad Soderberg was not successful.  I think they have shown that they can be a quality program, but it does not come automatically.  They need someone like Rick who wants to stay there long term. 

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #237 on: March 28, 2016, 10:59:10 PM »
Anyone know if Terry Porter is still interested in the Portland Pilots job? Heard he was a week or two ago

Just now..

@GoodmanESPN: Still hearing that Terry Porter is heavily involved at Portland. Another name that is in the mix is former UNLV coach Dave Rice.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #238 on: March 29, 2016, 07:29:39 AM »
I do not know that that is the case.  SLU got pretty good when they were in the Great Midwest with Marquette and Charlie Spoonhauer took over.  They were also pretty good under Lorenzo Romar.  The Majerus turned them around after Brad Soderberg was not successful.  I think they have shown that they can be a quality program, but it does not come automatically.  They need someone like Rick who wants to stay there long term.
What we do not know is what effect a new conference has on a program. Schools like Creighton (possibly St. Louis) can sell it as a step up and create a lot of excitement for their program. That is the opposite for MU, because the New Big East is a step down form the old Big East. No matter how good Seton Hall gets, they will never have the fan interest of Notre Dame, Louisville, Uconn or Syracuse. They may not even reach the fan level of West Virginia, Pitt or Cincy.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #239 on: March 29, 2016, 08:01:52 AM »
Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN  9h9 hours ago
Georgia Tech has reached out to Jeff Capel & Jay Larranaga, sources told ESPN. Jackets yet to interview Capel:  http://t.co/oNQXYsAt3D
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #240 on: March 29, 2016, 08:56:29 AM »
I am not at all sure Bryce Drew goes anywhere considering his family's connection to Valpo.  Scott left for Baylor when they practically begged him to take the job after the Dave Bliss scandal.  They really had to push the religious angle to get him there.   Bryce could remain at Valpo for the rest of his career like his dad did. 

Bryce Drew will leave Valpo.  Just trust me on that one.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #241 on: March 29, 2016, 10:17:55 AM »
theScore ‏@theScore  8m8 minutes ago
VCU reportedly signs Will Wade to an 8-year extension. http://thesco.re/1PDm3T4 

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN  9m9 minutes ago
A strong case can be made that VCU is a better job than Vanderbilt. Have chance to win league every year, get kids in easy, terrific support
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #242 on: March 29, 2016, 10:23:44 AM »

Bryce Drew will leave Valpo.  Just trust me on that one.

What makes you think that? Just curious. I've known Bryce for over 20 years. Only people that know what he's doing are him, his brother and his dad.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #243 on: March 29, 2016, 10:36:12 AM »
What makes you think that? Just curious. I've known Bryce for over 20 years. Only people that know what he's doing are him, his brother and his dad.

I know the Valpo administration very well and they are pretty confident that he is leaving. Perhaps this year.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 09:57:35 PM by The Sultan of Sunshine »

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #244 on: March 29, 2016, 10:48:14 AM »
No, Gonzaga lobbied hard to keep Seattle U out when they returned to D1. They're in the WAC with an...interesting assortment of schools and have struggled to gain footing thus far.

A neighbor is on SU's board and he related to me that it wasn't that Gonzaga was against SU so much as the WCC didn't want to have to cut up the pie more than 8 slices. The WCC will look at new joiners but they must have the potential to drive incremental revenue; SU was seen as a project that would be be more parasite than contributor.

Death on call

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #245 on: March 29, 2016, 10:51:17 AM »
theScore ‏@theScore  8m8 minutes ago
VCU reportedly signs Will Wade to an 8-year extension. http://thesco.re/1PDm3T4 

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN  9m9 minutes ago
A strong case can be made that VCU is a better job than Vanderbilt. Have chance to win league every year, get kids in easy, terrific support

I would rather be in the top third of the A-10 than the middle of the SEC for basketball - particularly with VCU's access to bball talent in Virginia.  I am glad Wade didnt jump -- if he wants he will be able to do better in a few years I would imagine.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #246 on: March 29, 2016, 10:58:37 AM »
Wazzou is a tough job, out in the middle of nowhere.  They have had some good and successful coaches, but they do not stay there.

Pullman is in the middle of nowhere but I would say that the Palouse nowhere is significantly better than the nowheres of Champaign Urbana, West Lafayette, Ames, Manhattan (KS), Stillwater, State College, etc... AT the end of the day guys go there to coach because it's a P5 job.

One of our kids went to Wazzou and the drive from Seattle to Pullman is like driving across Mars. I started flying us over there in a Bonanza until the time the car rental place gave away all the cars on the Friday night of a game weekend and we were stuck getting chauffeured by a collection of 20 year old girl friends of football players. We actually stayed at the Pullman Holiday Inn Express and my wife made a comment that even that didn't make me any smarter.

Death on call

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #247 on: March 29, 2016, 12:58:24 PM »
Ran across this Chicago Tribune article from 1985 following Joe B. Hall's announcement that he was retiring as head coach of Kentucky. Among the names floated as his possible replacement:

Bobby Cremins
Dan Issel
Gene Keady
Mike Krzyzewski
Lute Olsen
Pat Riley

Could you possibly imagine Pat Riley bringing Showtime to Kentucky? (Rick Pitino and his slicked-back look was the closest Lexington would ever come.) Or Coach K? Hilarious. And some say journalism today isn't what it once was.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1985-03-24/sports/8501160754_1_dan-issel-kentucky-wildcats-hall
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #248 on: March 29, 2016, 02:07:07 PM »
Pullman is in the middle of nowhere but I would say that the Palouse nowhere is significantly better than the nowheres of Champaign Urbana, West Lafayette, Ames, Manhattan (KS), Stillwater, State College, etc... AT the end of the day guys go there to coach because it's a P5 job.

One of our kids went to Wazzou and the drive from Seattle to Pullman is like driving across Mars. I started flying us over there in a Bonanza until the time the car rental place gave away all the cars on the Friday night of a game weekend and we were stuck getting chauffeured by a collection of 20 year old girl friends of football players. We actually stayed at the Pullman Holiday Inn Express and my wife made a comment that even that didn't make me any smarter.

Pullman is what, 4+ hours from Seattle?  The others may be nowhere, but are 2 hours or less from a major metro, so its a bit less remote.  Except for Manhattan, Ive heard that place SUUUUCCCKKSS

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #249 on: March 29, 2016, 02:24:00 PM »
Pullman is what, 4+ hours from Seattle?  The others may be nowhere, but are 2 hours or less from a major metro, so its a bit less remote.  Except for Manhattan, Ive heard that place SUUUUCCCKKSS

State College is about 2 3/4 hours from Pittsburgh, 3 hours from Baltimore and 3 1/2 hours from Philly.

feedback