Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Momma said there'd be days like this  (Read 18699 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Momma said there'd be days like this
« Reply #125 on: January 26, 2018, 11:12:12 AM »
I'll never understand the cupboard storyline. 

Last year Marquette had 9 top-100 RSCI recruits.  That's more than Butler, Creighton, Seton Hall, Xavier & Providence combined.

You know top 100 means nothing when they get to college. Congrats you put together a great high school team. I'll tell Buzz that Jamal Jones Steve Taylor and Erik Williams were also big east caliber players
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 11:16:29 AM by BagpipingBoxer »
Maigh Eo for Sam

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #126 on: January 26, 2018, 11:15:41 AM »
You know top 100 means nothing when they get to college. Congrats you put together a great high school team. I'll tell Buzz that Jamal Jones and Erik Williams were also big east caliber players
This.  Ranking really only matter for about the top 25 to 30, after that its not blind guessing, but there are countless occasions where players outside the top 100 are better than their ranking suggests.  UW Madison thrived on finding such players

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #127 on: January 26, 2018, 12:14:48 PM »
And how many of those were actually good enough to actually be one of the top 100 players in their class? And which coach brought in the ones that were? I got 3 for Wojo (Sam, M2N, Katin), and 1 for Buzz (Luke). I got four who weren't (JJJ, Duane, Haanif, Sandy). Who was the 9th?

But the argument really stems from the reality that Wojo took over a team that went 17-15, missed not only the tournament but also the NIT, lost 5 out of 6 of the players who led the team in minutes (and the one they kept was Derrick Wilson), had the former coach poach half the incoming recruiting class, and had 1/2 of the other players decommit (and it was the good one of the two).

Knowing all that, how could you say the cupboard wasn't bare?

A team that went 9-9 in conference with 2 double OT losses.  If Wojo did that this year many of your would exclaim progress and rejoice.

My sour tone is because everyone is acting like we have these St John's, Gtown and Depaul wins in the bank.  Fine, if those 5 come through then we're good.  And I'll be wrong, I hope I am bc I care about MU hoops waaaaaaaaaay too much.  But I sense this year will be a repeat of last where we lost a few we shouldn't have.   8-10 os not out of the realm of discussion.  I'm nervous.   We are terrible on defense.   And our amazing offense can't always mask that.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

tower912

• All American
« Reply #128 on: January 26, 2018, 12:29:50 PM »
And your proposed solution is........?     You may very well be right.    10 games to go.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #129 on: January 26, 2018, 12:48:37 PM »
A team that went 9-9 in conference with 2 double OT losses.  If Wojo did that this year many of your would exclaim progress and rejoice.

My sour tone is because everyone is acting like we have these St John's, Gtown and Depaul wins in the bank.  Fine, if those 5 come through then we're good.  And I'll be wrong, I hope I am bc I care about MU hoops waaaaaaaaaay too much.  But I sense this year will be a repeat of last where we lost a few we shouldn't have.   8-10 os not out of the realm of discussion.  I'm nervous.   We are terrible on defense.   And our amazing offense can't always mask that.

You're sort of right. I would be okay with that at 10-8. 9-9 I'm fine with but I wouldn't exclaim progress. And of course the biggest differences is that was a year with a terrible Big East, barely got 4 teams into the tournament and would have only got 3 if Providence didn't win the BET. That was also a senior laden team, not a team where 80% of the players are undersclassmen

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #130 on: January 26, 2018, 12:59:34 PM »

9-9 in a conference that only sent four teams to the tournament....one of whom was in Dayton, another was an 11 seed who only got in because they won the BET, and the other two lost in the round of 32. And they went 8-5 in non-conference with the best win being against George Washington. Don't try to put lipstick on the pig. Wojo took over a garbage team that lost 5 of their top 6 players and 3/4 of the incoming freshmen.

We don't have St. John's, Gtown, or DePaul in the bag. Just like Nova, Providence, Seton Hall, Creighton don't have us in the bag. Lots of basketball to be played left. And once we get past Nova, we will have the four of five toughest games on the schedule out of the way.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #131 on: January 26, 2018, 01:08:33 PM »
And your proposed solution is........?     You may very well be right.    10 games to go.

I don't have a solution.  I don't advocate for firing Wojo.  I'm just nervous / anxious. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #132 on: January 26, 2018, 01:09:11 PM »
Rare instance? Froling's usage % is higher than Sam Hauser's.
I'm guessing the sample size is way too small for HF to give that statistic much weight.

feedback