'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Momma said there'd be days like this  (Read 18679 times)

tower912

• All American
Momma said there'd be days like this
« on: January 24, 2018, 07:45:55 PM »
1.   Top 10 team in their gym.   Bigger, stronger, faster, deeper, more experienced.    Sometimes, that is all there is to it.
2.   Their defense on our shooters was good, MU's defense is bad.   
3.   Things went so bad that Markus even missed free throws. 
4.   Vent away.   
5.   It isn't going to get easier. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
Re: Momma said there'd be days like this
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 07:46:42 PM »
Sam hurt?
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

cheese ball chaser

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 07:48:57 PM »
I'm just going to forget this game ever happened. Beat Nova on Sunday.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 07:52:10 PM »
Definitely a burn the film type game. One thing I won’t dismiss though is Wojo hasn’t shown he can teach teams to execute defensively.
No Finish Line

Class71

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 07:55:22 PM »
Yea, yea but, but wait until next year or is it the year after or is it ... another 5 years?

This is very painful for us but I can not imagine what it feels like to be in the locker room tonight.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 07:55:39 PM »
As long as Sam isn't hurt I will get over it. I will say that wasn't a good 33 Pts by Markus tonight. 26 shots when the rest of the team had like 35....13 assists as a team tonight...Next leading scorer was 7 pts....just not a good TEAM effort tonight not enough movement. Brutal game by Andrew, Hauser couldnt get a look just not pretty. All the people saying Wojo Wojo even in the little edited for television recording its the first thing he said. X is a matchup nightmare for Nova with their athleticism and length....Hope for a good game against Nova

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 07:58:48 PM »
1.   Top 10 team in their gym.   Bigger, stronger, faster, deeper, more experienced.    Sometimes, that is all there is to it.
4.   Vent away.   
Yes, it is that simple. Their players are bigger, stronger, faster, deeper, more experienced. And our coach has had over 3 years to do something about it, yet the other teams players are better. Something wrong with the picture.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 08:00:25 PM »
1. True.
2. True. This term, like a girl I went out with in HS, is virtually defenseless.
3. True.
4. Eh.
5. True.

This game was like the Xavier pre-game lay-up drill except we were in their half-court (at least sometimes). I forgot to note their total FG%, but I bet it's pretty good.
Sam saw a lot of pine second-half, what's with that? I'm willing to bet he didn't feel well, given what we saw out there - didn't really participate in the O, and poster material on D.
Don't want to be negative, there's a lot of ball left to be played, but I was not surprised that they pulled a stinker tonight. Let's give Nova a good game, then go win the ones that we're supposed to.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 08:00:45 PM »
I wonder if whatever Markus had worked its way through the team. It has been a bad year for the flu and the vaccines weren't very effective this year.  My family had a bout in this month and each person was sick about 7-10 days.  A healthy Markus played well, the rest not so much.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018, 08:01:01 PM »
Today was the first game that has me concerned for next year. Are we just going to be the "watch Markus" show? No one else did anything and just stood around.

He didn't do much tonight, but what he does when he scores has me convinced Cain will be a better version of JJJ by the time he's a senior

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2018, 08:01:13 PM »
I understand that M2N and AR are exceptionally talented shooters and that they have the green light to shoot pretty much whenever they can.

However, we must have missed 20 cutters with wide open paths to the basket tonight while they dribbled around and looked to hoist a contested crappy three. 

Of course, the one cutter they hit was Heldter Skeldter and he missed the bunny. 

There has to be a middle ground where they look to pass as well as launch every time down the court, right?  As bad as the defense was tonight (and it was spectacularly bad) I think the offense was even worse.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2018, 08:02:48 PM »
Yes, it is that simple. Their players are bigger, stronger, faster, deeper, more experienced. And our coach has had over 3 years to do something about it, yet the other teams players are better. Something wrong with the picture.

Start beating the drum like you did for Buzz, willie.    Maybe the next coach will be as big of an improvement over Wojo as Wojo was over Buzz. 

Assuming there isn't a mass exodus, next year MU will be bigger, stronger, and deeper.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

nyg

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2018, 08:06:50 PM »
Wasn't expecting a victory, but not a beatdown.

FYI, Goodin was a top 70 recruit, who actually developed and Scruggs was a top 40 recruit who will be a nice player. They both had major roles in the win.
Congrats to Bluett for 2,000 points and for Rowsey telling him congrats, nice gesture.  Remember Fox or ESPN did a segment on him and family, very good kid.

I know some like Heldt for his energy, enthusiasm, etc., but my goodness he has been terrible.  Don't care about energy, need some b-ball ability. He now has 21 points in eight BE games, nine of which came in one game.  He has one field goal in last three games. Time to play Theo and Froling, with Heldt third string. 

Wouldn't want to be on that plane headed to MKE. 

X had had our number last few years, that will change since they lose Bluett, Macura, Kanter and O'Mara.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2018, 08:08:46 PM »
Wojo skipped the post game radio interview and quit screaming midway through the second half.    I sense practice in the old gym in t-shirts coming.   

Marquette4life

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2018, 08:10:28 PM »
Wojo skipped the post game radio interview and quit screaming midway through the second half.    I sense practice in the old gym in t-shirts coming.
this would be good

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2018, 08:15:00 PM »
Every season there are three games where everything clicks and three were there are stinkers.  This was the second of three stinkers with EIU the first.  The outcomes on both most likely ended how they would have if MU didn't stink. 

Consider ourselves  lucky.  Everything in between is what makes or breaks a team and defense helps your edge in the middle games.  In that regard, MU is hosed.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2018, 08:15:14 PM »
Wasn't expecting a victory, but not a beatdown.

FYI, Goodin was a top 70 recruit, who actually developed and Scruggs was a top 40 recruit who will be a nice player. They both had major roles in the win.
Congrats to Bluett for 2,000 points and for Rowsey telling him congrats, nice gesture.  Remember Fox or ESPN did a segment on him and family, very good kid.

I know some like Heldt for his energy, enthusiasm, etc., but my goodness he has been terrible.  Don't care about energy, need some b-ball ability. He now has 21 points in eight BE games, nine of which came in one game.  He has one field goal in last three games. Time to play Theo and Froling, with Heldt third string. 

Wouldn't want to be on that plane headed to MKE. 

X had had our number last few years, that will change since they lose Bluett, Macura, Kanter and O'Mara.
Harry will be starting soon.  Should have tonight after the .9 day layoff.  Heldt is a real team guy, but he is a bench guy.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2018, 08:19:19 PM »
Harry will be starting soon.  Should have tonight after the .9 day layoff.  Heldt is a real team guy, but he is a bench guy.
Harry was a major contributor to the bad interior defense though.  I mean, everyone was, sure, but he gave a up a number of dunks.  He certainly can rebound, however.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

sailwi

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2018, 08:19:52 PM »

I'm assuming Wojo has tied every ploy to fix the defense so old gym, new gym, t shirts , dry shirts likely makes no difference. I just cant believe we are this bad defensively but we are.  Even Mike Dean had decent D with a lot less talent.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2018, 08:22:31 PM »
Harry could start in Sam's place if his leg is bad.  Don't really want to start two bigs against Villanova, but there aren't a ton of options.  Hey, heisie, this is when Haanif's absence starts to hurt.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2018, 08:25:29 PM »
Harry could start in Sam's place if his leg is bad.  Don't really want to start two bigs against Villanova, but there aren't a ton of options.  Hey, heisie, this is when Haanif's absence starts to hurt.

I’d start Cain instead of Harry.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2018, 08:27:13 PM »
I'm assuming Wojo has tied every ploy to fix the defense so old gym, new gym, t shirts , dry shirts likely makes no difference. I just cant believe we are this bad defensively but we are.  Even Mike Dean had decent D with a lot less talent.

Let's not forget the bricks...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2018, 08:27:31 PM »
Even Mike Dean had decent D with a lot less talent.
Longer shot clock which he exploited with slow offensive possessions, so fewer possessions overall.  Offenses still worked inside out and his defenses collapsed into the paint very well.  His offense wasn't as good and there were a lot of games that finished in the 40's and 50's.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2018, 08:29:30 PM »

He did do something about it. That's why we beat them twice last season. Then a lot of the something he did about it graduated. And now he has to do something about that. Life's a journey, not a destination Willie. Enjoy it!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2018, 08:34:02 PM »
4.   Vent away.   

Not on Sunday, but after that, it certainly should. Next three at home, that should be easier. 4 left against DePaul, Georgetown, and St. John's, that should be easier. We could have a rough go against Villanova, but after that, we are done with the two best teams in the conference. Our last nine feature four games against the bottom three and three of the other five games are at home.

The toughest part of the schedule was the first nine. The Big East is never easy, but it certainly gets easier.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback