'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: BET hotel suggestions?  (Read 5315 times)

drewm88

• All American
BET hotel suggestions?
« on: February 19, 2009, 12:32:00 AM »
Consider that it will be broke college kids who need nothing more than a bed relatively close to MSG with beer money left over.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Re: BET hotel suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 01:13:57 AM »
The Hotel Pennsylvania is directly across the street from Madison Square Garden.  It is kinda dumpy but it has a bed and a bathroom and it's all you really need.

For something a littler nicer The Doubletree in Times Square is incredible.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 01:21:36 AM »
This thread from last year might be handy for you...

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=6925.0

sailwi

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 06:51:09 AM »
Hotel Penn is more than a little dumpy it is a complete toilet.  I stayed there a few years ago for one of our games at MSG early in the season and it was dirty and disgusting, i never took my socks off when I went to bed becasue I didin't want my barefeet to touch the carpet if I got up in the middle of the night.

My suggestions will take a little work but it should produce a decent room at a decent price.  Use priceline and go to biddingfortravel.com and you can tell what rooms are going for at which star class of hotels.  Review which hotels are which stars in which zones and then read reviews of them on tripadvisor.com.

Another option if you want to know the name of the hotel before booking is using kayak.com, it searches all hotel sites and the consolidators like expedia to give you the lowest published price at teh time.

CAINMUTINY

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 07:41:55 AM »
I'd recommend staying in mid town or the UES.....better restaurants and generally more reasonable for what you get.

Fitzpatrick on 57th and lex

Hotel 57 on 57th and lex

and for the best deal "The Pod" on 51st in between 2nd and 3rd
I'd spring with the room w/o the shared bathroom  ;)

I've stayed at all of these and I would always rather stay in midtown then by MSG which is a s*ithole of a neighborhood.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 07:55:17 AM »
Not sure about hotels, but if you can, make it down to McSorley's Old Ale House.  They just serve, light and dark beers in these small glasses and you order them by the tray full.  The place is great.  Not all that close to MSG, but worth the trip down on 3rd Ave and East 7th.

http://www.mcsorleysnewyork.com/

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 08:18:11 AM »
RE: Priceline... In NY a lot of the hotels won't give you 2 beds for the priceline rate. So if your going with a group that might be an issue.

Archie

• Walk-On
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 08:49:09 AM »
Heard from some students last year that the Hampton Inn in NYC is good and about $170 per

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 09:51:36 AM »
I'm looking at the Travel Inn right now (because it's super cheap). It's at 10th Ave and 42nd St.
Any thoughts on the location? I've never been to NYC so help's greatly appreciated.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 10:28:27 AM »
10th Avenue is not great; it's been cleaned up a little but still not a great part of town. 42nd Street used to be awful but has been spruced up by Disney.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 02:03:30 PM »
Hotel Penn Room

View from Hotel Penn Window (MSG is literally right there)

Front of Doubletree (Literally right in Times Square)

Doubletree Living Room

Doubletree Living Room / Bedroom

Doubletree Bedroom

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 04:15:19 PM »
Not sure about hotels, but if you can, make it down to McSorley's Old Ale House.  They just serve, light and dark beers in these small glasses and you order them by the tray full.  The place is great.  Not all that close to MSG, but worth the trip down on 3rd Ave and East 7th.

http://www.mcsorleysnewyork.com/

Man...don't blab about McSorleys...Its small enough.  NOw we'll never get a seat.

ozmetal71

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 04:30:09 PM »
I just spent the weekend in NYC for a conference and I would recommend the Jolly Hotels Madison Towers at 38th and Madison.  It is close to the Garden, and is a good deal.  The rooms are small, but they are clean and well-maintained, and the hotel is in a perfect location.

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 04:34:17 PM »
Whatever you do, don't stay in Jersey.   I made that mistake once before

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 05:36:46 PM »
www.hotwire.com

We got a 4 star hotel in Downtown Louisville for $79 for the Marquette vs Louisville game. The only problem is you can't pick exactly what hotel you're staying at but if you're looking for a cheap place it has great deals. You can pick the general neighborhood so you won't be too far from MSG

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2009, 11:01:34 AM »
A great resource for these types of questions is the Tripadvisor website - go to the New York City site, and post the question in their forums section.  I guarantee you will get tons of answers - they have many people who give recommendations for hotels, etc. all the time.  Just make sure to post your dates and your budget, to save time.  But be prepared - New York is an expensive city.

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2009, 10:25:24 PM »
Whatever you do, don't stay in Jersey.   I made that mistake once before

i disagree.  jersey city was awesome, we stayed at a mariott that was basically right off the PATH station which is the NJ/NYC transit that takes you to almost DIRECTLY to MSG.  And DO invest in a subway guide, it is worth its salt.

it was just a pain in the tush to get there from Newark b/c we trained it (to avoid a ridic taxi cost, that is).

And, if you like Indian food, there was the best little place right across the street.

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2009, 11:29:24 PM »
Maybe that's the way to do it.   I stayed near the Meadowlands figuring that surely there would be mass public transport to get 70,000 football fans in and out every Sunday, but I was dead wrong.   It was more of a hassle than it was worth

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2009, 03:36:34 AM »
thankfully marquette was gracious enough to give students a whole 8 day notice to buy tickets for the big east tournament. what a screw job. i've been hounding the ticket office for weeks about this and they wouldn't give me an answer, now they give me a one week notice 2 weeks before the event? and expect me to book hotel and airfare? perfectly reasonable for a college student, or anyone really.

on a side note, the ticket (assuming you can afford all other expenses) is very reasonable for students....inside secret, there are only 75 for marquette students

this whole post should've been in teal... except for the 75 tickets, thats straight from the ticket office
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 04:01:48 AM by muhoosier260 »

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2009, 03:46:36 AM »
Why wouldn't you book the trip and then worry about game tickets later?   Game tickets are the easiest part of the trip

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2009, 04:24:05 PM »
Why wouldn't you book the trip and then worry about game tickets later?   Game tickets are the easiest part of the trip
not when there's 75 tickets available bud, i'm not going to buy an airline ticket with the chance that i won't be able to get a ticket

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2009, 04:56:05 PM »

+ 1

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2009, 01:51:44 AM »

+ 1
how can you declare that while in another thread you say you can't pony up for postseason play. what makes you think i'm any different? c'mon

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2009, 02:50:27 AM »
not when there's 75 tickets available bud, i'm not going to buy an airline ticket with the chance that i won't be able to get a ticket

MSG has a ton of seats. You may not be sitting in the "MU section" per say, but who cares as long as you're in the building

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2009, 03:48:18 AM »
And after day one fans of teams that have lost are always looking to sell their tickets.

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2009, 04:46:06 PM »
how can you declare that while in another thread you say you can't pony up for postseason play. what makes you think i'm any different? c'mon

let me explain -->  I can't commit (right now) to NCAA tickets, it's just not in the cards for me financially since I can't guarantee that I can go.  I *could* pay for BET, but, again, I can't go for school reasons.  Notice a trend?  Grad school is a beast!

I *did* go to the BET last year, but I booked my travel & accommodations in advance b/c trying to buy a flight by this time is madness/not likely to result in a decent fare. Then, I had to scramble just like you right now to ensure I got tickets for the game.  This year i think will be more difficult since, indeed, it is completely during spring break (unlike last year when the first game was on wednesday).

I do hope you can go, though!!  It was a lot of fun :)

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2009, 03:54:41 PM »
I ended up with The Milford Plaza on 8th Ave and 44th St.
Anyone familiar?
Anyone else staying there?

Thanks to everybody for the help.

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2009, 11:38:49 PM »
Maybe that's the way to do it.   I stayed near the Meadowlands figuring that surely there would be mass public transport to get 70,000 football fans in and out every Sunday, but I was dead wrong.   It was more of a hassle than it was worth

yeah, the weekend transit times get really spaced out, so I can see it being frustrating to commute in for a giants or jets game or whatever.  you have to be pretty diligent about mapping out your day/times, etc., so i can understand the pinch.

CAINMUTINY

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2009, 05:53:47 PM »
I still say you are better off outside 42nd st/Time Square area.....its a tourist trap that is not the greatest area and way overpriced.  Stay in a more residential neighborhood UES or UWS and you'll get better, more reasonable places to eat, drink, etc. 

If you're in Midtown and want to grab a burger a hidden gem is Le burger joint (or burger joint) in the parker meridian hotel.....I know what you're thinking but its not expensive (not by NY standards) and is a real laid back (its a hole in the wall w/ some great burgers) place some how located in an upscale hotel.....trust me give it a whirl, you won't regret it!!

All those who are going, have a wonderful time in the city.......

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2009, 08:09:35 AM »
It's amazing. In our first year in the Big East Tournament in 2006, the MU section was pretty much the band, robmufan and myself. Each year more and more people have come and last year the section was packed.

I'm excited for this year because for the first time students are on break and it should be a great showing. 

feedback