Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Need suggestions for Big East Tourney  (Read 4571 times)

Coobeys Oil Depot

Need suggestions for Big East Tourney
« on: March 06, 2008, 12:03:34 PM »
Wondering where people are staying for their time in NYC?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 12:22:22 PM by rocky_warrior »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: OT: Hotels for Big East Tourney
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 12:21:31 PM »
Actually, since I'm guessing there will be a lot of interest for the out-of-towner's heading to MSG, I'll tack this to the top and change the heading.  Hopefully that'll consolidate the info...

WashDCWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 12:21:54 PM »
If rooms are still available, the Hotel Pennsylvannia is probably the least expensive and directly across from MSG.  The rooms are kind of small and old, but how much time are you really going to spend in your room in NYC?

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 12:23:31 PM »
While I'm not going to the BET, I do a lot of business in New York and when I'm out there, I stay at the Affinia right across from the Garden. I usually take a train into Penn Station though, and it's a piece of cake to get to.

If you're on a student budget, it's too pricey ($300 a night). But if you can afford it with a buddy or two, it's a decent place. You won't have to hail a cab to get to the Garden, and Times Square is a decent (but not too bad) 15 minute walk away.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Re: Need suggestions for Big East Tourney
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 12:49:02 PM »
2 years ago Robmufan and myself stayed at the Doubletree right in times square.  Amazing hotel all around.  Walk out the door and you're in Times Square.  Not a bad walk to MSG.

Last year we stayed at the Hotel Pennsylvannia right across the street from MSG.  Defenatly not first class but how much time are you going to spend in the hotel? Plus you can be at MSG in under 2 minutes from your hotel room.  ;D

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 01:53:55 PM »
I have stayed at that DoubleTree in Times Square.  Highly recommended.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 02:39:22 PM »
I have stayed at that DoubleTree in Times Square.  Highly recommended.

I don't know about this year but two years ago I know a lot of MU alums were at the Doubletree.  Of the eating halls at the hotel was kind of a "Marquette Headquarters" with pictures of each of the players on the wall.

I too would highly recommend the Doubletree if possible.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 02:44:23 PM »
I'm not going - but just to stimulate discussion...

Suggestions for places to eat & drink?

MileHigh

• Team Captain
  • Go Warriors!
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 03:38:27 PM »
my house in Connecticut  ;D

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 06:24:01 PM »
The ESPN Zone is a cool place to eat at.  While not the finest food you will find in New York it has a pretty cool environment especially for the BET.  Huge TVs are everywhere with all of the different ESPN channels.

You'll find fans from all the Big East teams there cheering on other teams in the tournament.  It can be interesting seeing which schools cheer for who.  Obviously no one cheers for PITT.

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2008, 06:30:06 PM »
If rooms are still available, the Hotel Pennsylvannia is probably the least expensive and directly across from MSG.  The rooms are kind of small and old, but how much time are you really going to spend in your room in NYC?

Last year I won a trip and was part of the band, cheerleaders, and mascot crew, and we had to stay in the hotel Pennsylvannia.  I don't wish that upon any of my enemies!  I heard there were renovations since last year but I would avoid it.  It is convenient that its across the street from MSG though

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2008, 06:31:53 PM »
There was also a very Marquette friendly bar I believe called Conways but I don't remember.

If anyone can confirm this I'd appreciate it!

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2008, 07:33:33 PM »
If rooms are still available, the Hotel Pennsylvannia is probably the least expensive and directly across from MSG.  The rooms are kind of small and old, but how much time are you really going to spend in your room in NYC?

Last year I won a trip and was part of the band, cheerleaders, and mascot crew, and we had to stay in the hotel Pennsylvannia.  I don't wish that upon any of my enemies!  I heard there were renovations since last year but I would avoid it.  It is convenient that its across the street from MSG though

In your opinion would the convenience of being across the street from the Garden supersede whatever the problems were?

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2008, 10:04:06 PM »

In your opinion would the convenience of being across the street from the Garden supersede whatever the problems were?

I honestly didn't mind the walk from the double tree the year before that.  Its NYC, a little walking lets you take in the surrounding area!

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2008, 10:25:28 PM »
If you plan on spending most of your time away from the hotel a bed is a bed so take the Hotel Pennsylvania.  Last year we were told it wasn't well kept because it was being torn down. 

MARQKC

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2008, 12:06:45 AM »
There was also a very Marquette friendly bar I believe called Conways but I don't remember.

If anyone can confirm this I'd appreciate it!

I can. The "official" MU bar is Connolly's, 121 W. 45th, between 6th and Broadway. It's a typical Times Square/tourist trap/Irish bar, but it gets its fair share of locals, and the atmosphere is fine. It feels like Murphy's on Wells. Go there.

Our favorite Times Square tourist trap restaurant is Bond 45, right across the street from Connolly's. Overpriced, but appropriately elegant, good service, and well-prepared Italian, steaks and seafood. My son lives in NY (and all the East Coast snootiness that that implies), and even he agrees that for a Times Square tourist trap, it's OK.

This'll be my 3rd BEast, so allow me to prop some more.

The tourney has an alumni and fan extravaganza in the MSG complex from 11 to 9 on Thursday. All you can eat pasta-salad-etc. buffet, cash bar, alumni and corporate giveway booths (Where else can you get a DePaul baggage ID tag and a South Florida bookmark and a Syracuse ballpoint pen, all in the same room?), and school bands entertain. Best part is the camaraderie. You can chat up other MU alums as well as alumni from other schools. (Except ND; you may only trash talk them. Ask them about their football team, and then laugh when they tell you about next year.) Must have a tourney ticket to get in. $25 at the door or $20 in advance at www.marquette.edu/alumni/basketball or call Kim Perez in Alumni Relations, 800-344-7544.

Need a job or an internship? There's a BEast career fair from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Friday. BEast alumni bring their companies, BEast students and alumni visit with them. How cool is that? We're in the best conference in the nation, on the court and every other way. Job fair info: www.eventemanagement.com/bigeast2008.

Stuff to do: It's Lent, and I'm a good Catholic, so I'm thinking about making a pilgrimage on Friday. Unless there's a museum show or something else that looks better, I'm thinking I'm going to find the bar that Al McGuire's family ran in Far Rockaway. I'm told it's a restaurant now. I know somebody who knows and will find out before I go to NY. If anybody's interested in coming along, reply.

MarqKC

MARQKC

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2008, 12:13:40 AM »
Oops, got the alumni and fan extravaganza pre-registration link wrong.

It's www.marquette.edu/alumni/events/basketball.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2008, 12:19:51 AM »
I can. The "official" MU bar is Connolly's, 121 W. 45th, between 6th and Broadway. It's a typical Times Square/tourist trap/Irish bar, but it gets its fair share of locals, and the atmosphere is fine. It feels like Murphy's on Wells. Go there.

Yeah!  That's the bar!  I knew it started with a "C".  I highly recommend heading there after the game as there is a large Marquette contingent there.

Thanks MARQKC.

MARQKC

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2008, 01:09:37 AM »
You bet. The first Diet Pepsi is on me.

only a warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2008, 06:12:20 PM »
Make sure you hit the right Connolly's - there is more than one.  I work right by one on Third Ave and 48th.  Good selection of beers on tap and always sports on the tube.

What about Stout??  Near MSG and great beer, decent food, darts and pool

MARQKC

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2008, 09:17:53 PM »
Yeah, good point. Not only is there more than one Connolly's, but there's more than one Irish/tourist trap bar in the Times Square area. After one or two overpriced Guinesses, I defy even the most brew-savvy Marquette/Milwaukee veteran to tell them apart.

The "official" Connolly's is at 121 W. 45th, between 6th and Broadway, according to the mailing that came with my tickets from the Athletic Dept. There was a goodly number of MU alumni there last year. In addition, Athletics and/or Alumni sprung for appetizers one night last year, as I recall. Don't know if that's in the works this year or not. At the least, since it's "official" MU bar, there will be MU alumni relations and/or Athletics department folks there potentially with extra tickets.

But the best bar is the one where there is good company and a good environment (you've heard?) and New York is a big city (you've heard?), so wherever you go, if the place is right, that's the place to go. No good Marquette grad is shy about checking out any good suggestion. Where, exactly, is Stout?

Tip: This is the weekend before St. Patrick's Day. There will be lots of faux Irish in the faux Irish NY bars, most of whom are not brew-savvy Marquette Milwaukee veterans. Be careful what you say.

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
Ticket help
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2008, 01:23:35 PM »
Anybody have an idea of the current ticket situation? I'm assuming MU is sold out.. Best places to scalp... things to look out for? I'm really just worried about finding ticks for the Wed night game.

Thanks

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2008, 02:45:30 PM »
Anybody have an idea of the current ticket situation? I'm assuming MU is sold out.. Best places to scalp... things to look out for? I'm really just worried about finding ticks for the Wed night game.

Thanks

I'd still try MU.  The last two years, Marquette has had one of the smaller crowds as they are longest distance away than the other schools in the tourny. 

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2008, 03:56:17 PM »
Yeah, good point. Not only is there more than one Connolly's, but there's more than one Irish/tourist trap bar in the Times Square area. After one or two overpriced Guinesses, I defy even the most brew-savvy Marquette/Milwaukee veteran to tell them apart.

The "official" Connolly's is at 121 W. 45th, between 6th and Broadway, according to the mailing that came with my tickets from the Athletic Dept. There was a goodly number of MU alumni there last year. In addition, Athletics and/or Alumni sprung for appetizers one night last year, as I recall. Don't know if that's in the works this year or not. At the least, since it's "official" MU bar, there will be MU alumni relations and/or Athletics department folks there potentially with extra tickets.

But the best bar is the one where there is good company and a good environment (you've heard?) and New York is a big city (you've heard?), so wherever you go, if the place is right, that's the place to go. No good Marquette grad is shy about checking out any good suggestion. Where, exactly, is Stout?

Tip: This is the weekend before St. Patrick's Day. There will be lots of faux Irish in the faux Irish NY bars, most of whom are not brew-savvy Marquette Milwaukee veterans. Be careful what you say.

Stout is on 33rd @ 6th. Not a bad place. Massive. Upstairs/Downstairs. Darts alleys. Huge bar area. Food is pretty decent. Maybe a little schlocky. And with it being the weekend of St. Patrick's Day it may be a zoo on Friday/Saturday.

State

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2008, 02:28:50 PM »
Last time I was at Scouts  (last BEast tournament) they had 'Wisconsin Style Pizza' on the menu.

Is Wisconsin known for thier Pizza???  If so, why can't I find a good slice in Wisconsin? 

feedback